View Poll Results: What Gas do you put in your RL?
Regular (87)
11.11%
Plus (89)
5.56%
Premium (91-93)
83.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

What Gas Do you Put in your RL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Gauss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Gas Do you Put in your RL?

Backstory:

Earlier this week, I was driving in a car with an Acura Salesman. We had just past by a Costco and I commented on how the gas prices were really cheap (it was around $3.29 for Premium), and I told him how I filled up my car yesterday and it was nearly $4 a gallon for the same fuel. He then proceeded to laugh at me and tell me that I did not need to be filling up my car with Premium (93 octane) fuel.

I couldn't remember the exact words he used, but he said that since Acura cars are made in Japan, you can use regular fuel and it will be fine. Filling it up with Premium fuel will not make a difference in the performance of the car.

This was the first time I have heard this and I was completely surprised, because I have always been putting Premium 93 octane fuel in my RL.

My question to you guys is: What gas do you put in your RL? Regular, Plus, or Premium?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Robot919
Backstory:

Earlier this week, I was driving in a car with an Acura Salesman. We had just past by a Costco and I commented on how the gas prices were really cheap (it was around $3.29 for Premium), and I told him how I filled up my car yesterday and it was nearly $4 a gallon for the same fuel. He then proceeded to laugh at me and tell me that I did not need to be filling up my car with Premium (93 octane) fuel.
I couldn't remember the exact words he used, but he said that since Acura cars are made in Japan, you can use regular fuel and it will be fine. Filling it up with Premium fuel will not make a difference in the performance of the car.
This was the first time I have heard this and I was completely surprised, because I have always been putting Premium 93 octane fuel in my RL.
My question to you guys is: What gas do you put in your RL? Regular, Plus, or Premium?
Next time tell him to open the gas door and read few of the English words written there... he is a dummy...
I put Premium for other reasons that I have noticed myself:
1. I like my engine to run as long as possible and as efficient as possible.
2. I test regular maybe once or twice per year: I always get less miles out of regular then premium - nothing crazy, but still see the difference. Money I am not concerned about, but a direct proof that engine is more thirsty and "drinks" more of regular to deliver performance it is built to deliver, vs premium..
3. Why bother with explaining that dummy from dealership anything...

Last edited by rlx015; 06-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
For god's sake.....he's a car salesman!!

Just sayin'....
Old 06-09-2018, 05:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are going to notice power loss and bad mileage. Even the brand of fuel matters. Costco fuel isn't the greatest you could get away with putting regular or mid-grade if you go to Shell.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Continue
You are going to notice power loss and bad mileage. Even the brand of fuel matters. Costco fuel isn't the greatest you could get away with putting regular or mid-grade if you go to Shell.
Really? Can you explain that to me? I don't know enough about fuel to agree or disagree with you.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The difference between sales and marketing is sales don't realize they're lying.

Fill the car with whatever fuel is recommended in the fuel door OR in the manual. Consider that part of the cost of ownership.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Continue
I've wondered about Costco gas. Do you have anything to back up your claims, or is it all perception, heresay and anecdotal stories? I'm legitimately curious... I don't know what to believe regarding them.

Costco claims to use "top tier" gasoline at all their stations. All Costco does is buys bulk quantities of fuel from whatever refinery (I'm not exactly sure how they choose where their gas comes from... It might solely be based on a list of who they have contracts with and purchasing from the cheapest on the list, every time). Anyway, last year I was at a Costco and parked near the gas station. As I was walking back towards my car, I noticed a fuel truck filling up the station reservoirs. I asked the driver where the fuel was from- He said most often, at least to the stations he delivered to, it was from Esso. I imagine it is likely a regional thing, though.

But... If someone is cool with Esso gas, they would likely be cool with Costco gas. I would assume it is the exact same top tier fuel. If someone is into Shell gas, then yeah, maybe they won't be happy with Costco gas, for whatever reason.

It's not unheard of, brands having cases of "bad gas". I don't know how true that is though, or how often it actually occurs... I don't think I've ever had a case of it, though I suppose anything is possible. I sometimes wonder if someone tried a different brand that one time the gas station got shitty gas from the refinery and subsequently was like "fuck that brand!"
Old 06-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
It says premium right on the fuel door. Who are you going to trust, the salesman, or the engineer that designed the engine? :twocents:

While we're on the topic of Costco: they are also great at servicing their equipment. If it says anything, my Camry saw Costco premium for most of it's life after 2003 (100K-ish miles), and it ran flawlessly until the day it crashed at 270K miles. I pulled the plugs and everything looked normal from a visual inspection last year.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by H8PVMT
Really? Can you explain that to me? I don't know enough about fuel to agree or disagree with you.
When you really boil it down, and someone isn't going to like my simplification, octane rating is a measure of how much you can compress gasoline before it spontaneously combusts. 87 will spontaneously combust before 93 under pressure, and the ECU can pick it up, so it adjusts timing accordingly and you loose power
The following users liked this post:
H8PVMT (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
92 or 93 for my car. The difference on a tank of gas between 87 and 93 is just a few dollars.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
As most everyone states: "It says premium right on the fuel door. Who are you going to trust, the salesman, or the engineer that designed the engine? " I really like Coatco. In addition to supplying TOP TIER FUEL, their pumps, are quick, I've never had a card reader fail, their stations, clean, and well manned, and price wise, my local Costco, is generally at least $.50 per gallon less then other stations, in the area. It doesn't matter, which Company, markets their fuel to Costco, all, must meet, or exceed, at least minimum additive specifications, to qualify, as TOP TIER. A recent inspection, of the upper plenum,and throttle body areas, on my 2003 TLS, revealed, those areas, are as clean, and carbon free, as when I serviced them, four years, and 42K ago! Current miles, 239,641, engine runs like a fine Swiss watch, and uses less than 1/2 pint of oil, between 5K change intervals!
The following 3 users liked this post by frankjnjr:
H8PVMT (06-10-2018), Robot919 (06-24-2018), TacoBello (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I use 93 only in the RL, I usually only go to Shell or Exxon
Old 06-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Premium fuel has hit $1.50/L here... it's down a bit right now to I think $1.45, but, that is crazy expensive still. At a 1.50/L, that's 5.63/gal

I feel this may be the new realm here, when it comes to fuel. I've started using Costco a bunch now, because I save 0.20/L on premium, vs Shell... I really can't tell any discernable difference. Mileage seems to be the same also.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
When you really boil it down, and someone isn't going to like my simplification, octane rating is a measure of how much you can compress gasoline before it spontaneously combusts. 87 will spontaneously combust before 93 under pressure, and the ECU can pick it up, so it adjusts timing accordingly and you loose power
That is extremely easy to understand, thanks!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I've wondered about Costco gas. Do you have anything to back up your claims, or is it all perception, heresay and anecdotal stories? I'm legitimately curious... I don't know what to believe regarding them.

Costco claims to use "top tier" gasoline at all their stations. All Costco does is buys bulk quantities of fuel from whatever refinery (I'm not exactly sure how they choose where their gas comes from... It might solely be based on a list of who they have contracts with and purchasing from the cheapest on the list, every time). Anyway, last year I was at a Costco and parked near the gas station. As I was walking back towards my car, I noticed a fuel truck filling up the station reservoirs. I asked the driver where the fuel was from- He said most often, at least to the stations he delivered to, it was from Esso. I imagine it is likely a regional thing, though.

But... If someone is cool with Esso gas, they would likely be cool with Costco gas. I would assume it is the exact same top tier fuel. If someone is into Shell gas, then yeah, maybe they won't be happy with Costco gas, for whatever reason.

It's not unheard of, brands having cases of "bad gas". I don't know how true that is though, or how often it actually occurs... I don't think I've ever had a case of it, though I suppose anything is possible. I sometimes wonder if someone tried a different brand that one time the gas station got shitty gas from the refinery and subsequently was like "fuck that brand!"
I used to work as a car jockey at a couple of dealerships and I can remember when I filled cars up with premium Costco fuel some cars ran and idle rough almost like I put midgrade.

The tank never lasted as long as from Shell or Esso.

I really do notice the difference in horsepower, but my car has a turbo...

If there ever was a bad batch, it would end up at Costco. The driver may deliver to different stations but I really don't think it's all the same fuel going into the tanker.

You can try mixing your tank to save some money. Mostly low grade Costco then top it up with 3 gallons of hi test from somewhere else on the way somewhere.

However Scotty say's it's ALL BS and your car will run okay...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tty+kilmer+gas

But just like the Mustang, any car that isn't getting the recommended fuel isn't getting all of the horsepower.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
OP's Acura salesman is an idiot – so all Japanese cars take the same grade of gas because of the country they were built in? – and Continue is not correct that Costco premium is equivalent to other brands' lower-grade fuels.

There are two relevant specifications here. One is octane, nicely explained above. On a previous thread, I too questioned whether we actually have to use premium in our RLs – without question, it's expensive. Most cars that say "Premium Fuel Recommended" go faster with premium, but can use regular without damage. The RL appears to be an exception. I'm not promoting myself by posting this link, because frankly some of the other posters called me an idiot in it, but it's very informative, so you're welcome.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...maging-737894/

The other is whether the gas is certified as Top Tier. Top Tier is a spec agreed upon by a group of automakers. It specifies that the gas contains a certain amount of detergents that prevent engine problems. It's true that multiple brands have their gas supplied by the same sources, but the additive package makes all the difference, and it's the additives that make a gas Top Tier. Independent research has shown that Top Tier gas does in fact help engines collect less crud. Here's a list of the brands that meet that standard, and Costco is on it.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

The short version: Use premium, preferably from a Top Tier brand. And remember to never listen to that salesman again.
Robot919 (06-24-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 AM

^In my experience on online public forums, for some reason, the “what gas do you use” threads always seem to get people agitated. I’ve never been able to explain why... Hence why I’m keeping a close eye on this one lol
The following 3 users liked this post by projektvertx:
HEAVY_RL (06-11-2018), nickelrw87 (06-13-2018), teh CL (06-13-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^In my experience on online public forums, for some reason, the “what gas do you use” threads always seem to get people agitated. I’ve never been able to explain why... Hence why I’m keeping a close eye on this one lol
People tend to get agitated because you have individuals such as the supposed Acura car salesman the OP mentioned who says the car will be fine if you don't use premium fuel. LOL!!!

I've been using Shell 93. In my neck of the woods it is twenty cents cheaper on Tuesdays which is when I tend to fill up.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Least its not an oil thread
Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Least its not an oil thread
That would be a nightmare
Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I use tap water for fuel on all of my cars, its eco friendly, boost performance as I blew the GTR from dig to 130 mph by 6 cars length and best of yet its cost next to nothing, may be OP should try out some time.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

AHAHAHAHAH Interesting

I work at Acura in Oakland and I go to School for automotive as well...There are many thing people can get away with in the industry. but one thing I am constantly told is to follow vehicle manufacture recommendations. It may not increase performance but that doesn't say that regular gas doesn't decrease performance. I put the highest octane available at any station I go to. What I am curious to know is if I put super high like 95-101 what will take place in the performance.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by witness effortless
I work at Acura in Oakland and I go to School for automotive as well...There are many thing people can get away with in the industry. but one thing I am constantly told is to follow vehicle manufacture recommendations. It may not increase performance but that doesn't say that regular gas doesn't decrease performance. I put the highest octane available at any station I go to. What I am curious to know is if I put super high like 95-101 what will take place in the performance.
Using higher AKI fuels compared to the manufacturers recommendation will not improve the performance one bit. Why? The computers use fuel maps and such, and unless the maps are optimized for fuel with higher detonation resistance, buying higher AKI fuel is a waste of money.
frankjnjr (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 06-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Gauss

Originally Posted by TonyCD
OP's Acura salesman is an idiot – so all Japanese cars take the same grade of gas because of the country they were built in? – and Continue is not correct that Costco premium is equivalent to other brands' lower-grade fuels.

There are two relevant specifications here. One is octane, nicely explained above. On a previous thread, I too questioned whether we actually have to use premium in our RLs – without question, it's expensive. Most cars that say "Premium Fuel Recommended" go faster with premium, but can use regular without damage. The RL appears to be an exception. I'm not promoting myself by posting this link, because frankly some of the other posters called me an idiot in it, but it's very informative, so you're welcome.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...maging-737894/

The other is whether the gas is certified as Top Tier. Top Tier is a spec agreed upon by a group of automakers. It specifies that the gas contains a certain amount of detergents that prevent engine problems. It's true that multiple brands have their gas supplied by the same sources, but the additive package makes all the difference, and it's the additives that make a gas Top Tier. Independent research has shown that Top Tier gas does in fact help engines collect less crud. Here's a list of the brands that meet that standard, and Costco is on it.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

The short version: Use premium, preferably from a Top Tier brand. And remember to never listen to that salesman again.
Thank you for your responses everyone. I have been using premium fuel in my RL and I was confused by what the salesman said. It did seem odd to me and didn't make sense, so I came here to ask the people with actual factual knowledge.

Regarding that particular salesman I talked to, he is no longer working at the dealership. Perhaps someone here reported him to management, I am not sure.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I use 91 octane, as recommended. However sometimes I have to choose between 89 and 93. When this happens I use 89.