Weird Proximity Issue with Both Fobs

Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird Proximity Issue with Both Fobs

I have a 2006 RL with two functioning fobs. Both work as intended and all physical buttons work fine.

I am in the process of fixing a broken sensor in the driver side door. The dimple and handle do not work for locking and unlocking. The passenger side works 100%

Here’a where the gremlins start and I am scratching my head. With either fob in hand (nothing else electrical or magnetic in play) if I walk within a close distance to the driver door or passenger door, the car starts beeping and auto-locking/auto-unlocking and gets stuck in this goofy loop until I hit a button on the fob or walk out of range. It happens with both fobs.

I have tried resetting the fobs via the instructions on the back and no luck.

Anyone every heard of this or have any ideas? Very strange activity and I have no idea what it could be. All the doors lock and unlock as they should and actuators work correctly. No other problems.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldog1402
I have a 2006 RL with two functioning fobs. Both work as intended and all physical buttons work fine.

I am in the process of fixing a broken sensor in the driver side door. The dimple and handle do not work for locking and unlocking. The passenger side works 100%

Here’a where the gremlins start and I am scratching my head. With either fob in hand (nothing else electrical or magnetic in play) if I walk within a close distance to the driver door or passenger door, the car starts beeping and auto-locking/auto-unlocking and gets stuck in this goofy loop until I hit a button on the fob or walk out of range. It happens with both fobs.

I have tried resetting the fobs via the instructions on the back and no luck.

Anyone every heard of this or have any ideas? Very strange activity and I have no idea what it could be. All the doors lock and unlock as they should and actuators work correctly. No other problems.
2 things going on here....

1) There is water/moisture in your drivers side door handle causing a short (ground).

2) The car is wet (rain, car wash, etc) and it's gounding off somewhere else. Ever try washing your car by hand with the FOB in your pocket? As you move around the car it's constantly locking and unlocking and you can be touching the fender or the rear quarter.

Get the door handle replaced ($$$$) or disable it ($) and that will solve your problem.

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I went through an exhausting search for a matching door handle through scrapyards. I found one pretty far away and thought it was going to happen.

A week later they called back to tell me the sensor was messed up on removal (good on them).

I then found a full door locally for $150. I was about to do it and then I got to thinking. Did I really want the frustration for the “cool tech?” I have never had a car with anything like this. I will never miss it if it never worked. And add on top of that, no guarantee that the sensor on the junk door works or how long it will work for.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Opened the door panel, unplugged the sensor, and have not had an issue since.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I kind of wish it worked but more so that the design was better and that it had been fixed a long time ago. I do enjoy being able to unlock the trunk with the fob in my pocket.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldog1402
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I went through an exhausting search for a matching door handle through scrapyards. I found one pretty far away and thought it was going to happen.

A week later they called back to tell me the sensor was messed up on removal (good on them).

I then found a full door locally for $150. I was about to do it and then I got to thinking. Did I really want the frustration for the “cool tech?” I have never had a car with anything like this. I will never miss it if it never worked. And add on top of that, no guarantee that the sensor on the junk door works or how long it will work for.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Opened the door panel, unplugged the sensor, and have not had an issue since.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I kind of wish it worked but more so that the design was better and that it had been fixed a long time ago. I do enjoy being able to unlock the trunk with the fob in my pocket.
The proximity key system on the RL was the first one for Acura. At that time, not many cars had this type of system. Only high end luxury cars. I'm sure the tech was not as reliable back then.

Last edited by schen72; 06-04-2019 at 06:09 PM.