UPDATE Navi ? do or Don't ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE Navi ? do or Don't ?

Hello everyone, I'm sure I'm not the only out there that's on the fence about updating my navigation.. personally I don't know if I should or not.. I mean we have cell phones thats a big one.. and also is there any other benefits from updating the system like is there more detail or information or even your system ... gets updated I don't know or just your maps? does your system need to be updated... other then your maps ? Im just wondering cause right now they have a sale on DVD navis for $99.00 i wouldn't mind some other input... maybe someone whos gotten it and can tell me is it worth it.. prob not but it doesn't hurt to ask. thanks everyone have a good day
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
My first question is what year is the car? Follow up, what's the navigation disk in there? Earlier RLs did need a second disk to do the update. Depending on what year disk is in there, it may or may not be worth it. Original disk, yes. Newer disk, probably not... The POIs will be updated, but if you look it up on your phone and find it, you should be able to plug it into the RL' GPS and it will still take you there. Regardless of whether or not the POI is in the system. Unless of course it's a brand new street.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just updated my nav DVD, it's working just fine. I usually update my navi every 3-4 years. I use it a few times each month, even with a cell phone. Also, they have put some new roads in around the DC area, and it's nice to have them on the updated disk. Like you, I saw the sale for 99 bucks and thought I'd give it a try. The question is, how often do you use it now? Would you use it more or the same if it was updated.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Intermediate

Awsome thanks and my car is a 06 RL
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Im curious my underlying question is WHY? With the advent of Waze (FREE) and other apps why bother, its old technology and clunky IMHO.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
I have 06 as well, and I believe last update was done either in 2010 or 2011 by the previous owner (I never checked) ... so far I have not really run into any issues roads wise with an exception of taking a road trip to New Orleans - one road was closed, and maps showed it was still there, however I never needed it anyway, but noticed that outdated information... good luck
Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A few times I have received a letter in the mail from Acura about updating my navigation but I just ignore it. I've only used car's navigation system only once since I got the car and have no intentions in using it again or updating it. Google Maps on my iPhone has worked like a champ with no issues that I can think of.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Im curious my underlying question is WHY? With the advent of Waze (FREE) and other apps why bother, its old technology and clunky IMHO.
I have an iPhone, but I still use my in-dash navigation instead. I like how it works, its display is bigger, it plays its audio through the stereo's speakers, and I don't have to worry about fumbling with my phone or getting a ticket because a cop sees me handling my phone as I drive.

To answer OP's question, I've updated my DVD twice. It doesn't make the system work better in any fundamental way, it just updates the maps and the points of interest. If the area where you drive has had any substantial changes since 2006, or if you drive in areas outside your familiar region and depend on it to have current data, this may be worth it to you. I've seen some surprising changes in my experience, including restaurants and gas stations that I discovered had changed their brand once I reached them.

I would make sure it's a genuine disk and not a copy. I sure wouldn't pay full price, though. You can depend on having an opportunity at some point to pay much less.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
I have an iPhone, but I still use my in-dash navigation instead. I like how it works, its display is bigger, it plays its audio through the stereo's speakers, and I don't have to worry about fumbling with my phone or getting a ticket because a cop sees me handling my phone as I drive.

To answer OP's question, I've updated my DVD twice. It doesn't make the system work better in any fundamental way, it just updates the maps and the points of interest. If the area where you drive has had any substantial changes since 2006, or if you drive in areas outside your familiar region and depend on it to have current data, this may be worth it to you. I've seen some surprising changes in my experience, including restaurants and gas stations that I discovered had changed their brand once I reached them.

I would make sure it's a genuine disk and not a copy. I sure wouldn't pay full price, though. You can depend on having an opportunity at some point to pay much less.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the car's navigation for more or less the same rationale.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
You can depend on having an opportunity at some point to pay much less.
I was looking at the Acura site, the new disc is $99.00 any suggestions on how to get a better deal, 99 for a DVD seems like a lot of money.

I do enjoy the navigation on the car though rather than my phone. I have a 06 and there isn't a whole lot of places to set my phone and watch it for directions.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Points taken guys, so maybe I should clarify my position with a question. Does the Nav system integrate traffic into its recommendation for a route? The RL is not my DD so I dont use the Nav regularly and cant remember. I assumed not which is why I use an app that does. What I like about WAZE is it shows real time traffic issues and reroutes appropriately it also presents police warnings. So if your using your Nav solely to get TO your destination I get it but I think with updated technology of traffic information weaved in for updated travel route WAZE will always win for me. All Im saying is I wouldnt pay for an update to an antiquated system (lets face it its 9-12years old). If you can find it for free thats a different story and no Im not cheap....Im frugal

I never have to mess with my phone once type in destination...set it and forget it. It has speaker too so hands free and no issues with 5-0

OP - what have you decided?
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
My TL-S got 2015 version, my base TL and the RL still have the original maps. I live in Houston where they constantly building housing, highway etc... so every 3 years update is a must for me. Yes I like to look at 8" screen along with the read out rather than stare at my iphone 7 plus screen, also note I do not have to worry about my phone fall off when going on rough road.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Points taken guys, so maybe I should clarify my position with a question. Does the Nav system integrate traffic into its recommendation for a route? The RL is not my DD so I dont use the Nav regularly and cant remember. I assumed not which is why I use an app that does. What I like about WAZE is it shows real time traffic issues and reroutes appropriately it also presents police warnings. So if your using your Nav solely to get TO your destination I get it but I think with updated technology of traffic information weaved in for updated travel route WAZE will always win for me. All Im saying is I wouldnt pay for an update to an antiquated system (lets face it its 9-12years old). If you can find it for free thats a different story and no Im not cheap....Im frugal

I never have to mess with my phone once type in destination...set it and forget it. It has speaker too so hands free and no issues with 5-0

OP - what have you decided?
My understanding is that if you pay for the upgraded service from XM radio, you do get traffic and construction alerts (I have also heard they suck compare to most aps) but otherwise it's just nav.....
Old 04-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the car's navigation for more or less the same rationale.

thank I think that's really what I wanted to know honestly.. I appreciate it thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 06:20 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Tony and Vertx - yes my iPhone has better mapping than my 9 and 12 year old Acuras but I also prefer using the car's system and only supplementing with the phone when needed because:

1: I like the integration of the system into the car, running in the background and guiding as needed

2: with multiple phones on our account, I don't want to chew through our data plan any faster than necessary. Not sure how many of you have teenagers, but this becomes an issue lol.

I will be ordering the 2017 discs for the RL and MDX today and we'll augment with the phones if needed.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I'm in the same boat as Tony and Vertx - yes my iPhone has better mapping than my 9 and 12 year old Acuras but I also prefer using the car's system and only supplementing with the phone when needed because:

1: I like the integration of the system into the car, running in the background and guiding as needed

2: with multiple phones on our account, I don't want to chew through our data plan any faster than necessary. Not sure how many of you have teenagers, but this becomes an issue lol.

I will be ordering the 2017 discs for the RL and MDX today and we'll augment with the phones if needed.
Did you order from the Acura website?
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
IMO I wouldn't update the Navi. It becomes outdated real quick. I run Waze from my phone. If you have time an a little bit of extra funds, you can set up a media center or use a mirror service so you can mirror your phone to your screen.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
advantages of indash nav
1 much stronger antenna
2 preloaded maps don't rely on data connection
3 no need for phone mount overaccessorizing taxi cab driver...
4 usually more responsive than phone while changing direction quickly

phone nav:
1 google maps.
2 usually more up to date
3 have street view

I use both actualy now have indash and oem nav lol so I can use all 3 now

but I like factory indash nav because its always there and easy to acess without unlocking the phone etc

less distractions