AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   Transfer Case Fluid Change? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/transfer-case-fluid-change-955174/)

SSjTrunks112O 02-24-2017 02:07 PM

Transfer Case Fluid Change?

Hey guys,

I took my '08 RL in to be serviced by the dealer. They are doing some warranty work but the technician said I needed a Transfer Case Fluid change. I got the tranny, rear diff, and brake fluids changed last time I was there, but he said the Transfer Case fluid was for the SHAWD system and said it's like front differential fluid. He quoted me $99.95 for it with 10% off. Is this legit? and the price?

They also charged me $29.95 for wiper inserts which I thought were $10 a piece, $37 for an auto inspection (which I thought they could do for free), and $39.95 for an oil change. They are also doing the motor mounts and door handle under the warranty. But before that, they were trying to make me pay for a diagnostic fee, which I successfully fought off. The normal manager which usually helps me is on vacation and these guys were in his place. These guys seem like they were trying to beat me over my head or that's the impression I got. I would not expect this at a luxury dealership.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. As always, thanks in advance.

SSjTrunks112O 02-24-2017 02:26 PM

the only silver lining here is that they gave me a loaner for the weekend while they ordered the parts.

Skirmich 02-24-2017 02:59 PM

I responded you over MDXers.org:

Unless he has old ATF-Z1 stock the new ATF DW-1 is not meant to be used for the SH-AWD diff so he is full of **** or just plain ignorant.
Since Z1 was discontinued Acura released a specific oil for SH-AWD diffs called "DPSF AWD" not to be confused with plain "DPSF" Fluid.

Part Number is: 08200-9007A < That "A" at the last is important, that letter differentiates plain DPSF to DPSF AWD.. So do not let them sell you: 08200-9007
08200-9007A Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF) - Bernardi Parts

That is what goes into your SH-AWD differential.. Do not let them fill it with DW-1!

SSjTrunks112O 02-24-2017 03:13 PM

Thanks! Cool that you're on both forums. I joined MDXers since I got my wife a 2012 CPO MDX. Judging by the link you sent me, did I just get ripped off royally for the price?

I was thinking it was a peace of mind thing since I was getting a hard jerk whenever I put the car in reverse (which is prob unrelated).

SSjTrunks112O 02-24-2017 03:34 PM

I just called the guy and he said they used HGO fluid which stands for Hypoid Gear Oil. I told him what you told me though. He said he pulled up the VIN # and used whatever it recommended. So I hope he used the right one. He said he could give me a call tomorrow or Monday bc his tech guy left at 4:30 and said that the part # would be on my invoice. I've heard of HGO before and hopefully it was the right thing to use.

Skirmich 02-24-2017 04:57 PM

HGO??? #FACEPALM..

HGO is used in the TRANSFER CASE not in the Transmission or the Rear Diff..
I would get that swapped ASAP!!! ATF Z1 or Acura DPSF AWD are the only things you want in your SH-AWD Diff.

It almost seems like you went to a Honda Dealership instead of an Acura Dealership...

dmstom33 02-24-2017 06:31 PM

^^^^^ what he said. ;)
Hm. I'd definitely fight the wiper insert price- I just received a flyer saying $14. And they can be purchased for $<20 (both). I can scan it tomorrow.

SSjTrunks112O 02-24-2017 11:16 PM

thanks guys and thanks in advance for the coupon dmstom33. The wiper inserts used to be $10 a piece. He's giving me 10% off the ticket at the very least.

as for the HGO, he did say it was for the transfer case. But he also said it's like front diff fluid and for the sh awd. Maybe he just made a dumb comparison.

dmstom33 02-24-2017 11:22 PM

As promised-

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9cf2e78697.jpgI figure $14 for inserts and a hand washing is totally worth it. YMMV. :)

Skirmich 02-25-2017 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by SSjTrunks112O (Post 15966385)
thanks guys and thanks in advance for the coupon dmstom33. The wiper inserts used to be $10 a piece. He's giving me 10% off the ticket at the very least.

as for the HGO, he did say it was for the transfer case. But he also said it's like front diff fluid and for the sh awd. Maybe he just made a dumb comparison.

Its pretty far fetched as the front differential baths in ATF.. So it uses front to back: ATF-DW1 > HGO > DPSF AWD
And I havenīt seen anyone using HGO for the rear diff, HGO is like the cheapest off the shelf hypoid gear oil you can buy.. Its literal crap. The SH-AWD uses a wet clutch system and for the HGO to be functional it had to have some sort of limited slip additives into it (Which does not) as HGO is only used in the Transfer Cases which don't need it... So again change it ASAP.

Next time you ask that guy will swear the engine uses power steering fluid as oil.

oo7spy 03-03-2017 06:15 AM

What a second. We need to clear some shit up. The RL uses DW1 in the transmission, DPSF in the rear differential (2 chambers), and 80w-90 hypoid gear oil in the transfer case. These are all listed in the very back of the owners manual with the exception that ATF-Z1 is discontinued and the replacements are as I just explained.

If you have any proof that DPSF and SH-AWD fluid are different other than red die, please elaborate. Otherwise please don't mislead our members with false information you don't really understand.

grappler171 03-03-2017 10:54 PM

Ssjtrunks originally stated they told him he needed a transfer case fluid change. They used HGO (assuming honda's HGO-1) but even if not the fluid they used was fine. He wasn't talking about your rear differential, the transfer case is basically a front differential. Without it you couldn't send any power toward the rear because the engine is transverse. Worry not trunks, the service advisor may not know much, but the technician put the correct fluids in I assure you.

TonyCD 03-06-2017 12:19 PM

Okay, I'm gonna violate all the Internet Ego-Inflating Forum Posting Rules here and unashamedly go into full Openly Stupid Mode.

I have never in my life heard of our RLs having a "transfer case," let alone one that needs periodic fluid changes. I knew about my ATF, and my dual-chamber rear diff, and I've dutifully gotten their fluid changed. But if I have a transfer case, it's never had its fluid changed from my acquisition of the car at 35,000 miles until its dotage at 121,000 miles today.

Does the transfer case have a prescribed fluid change interval? If not performed, have our transfer cases been known to fail? Should I be jumping belatedly into action to save my transfer case before I leave a trail of tears and shredded gears all over the turnpike?

projektvertx 03-06-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TonyCD (Post 15972586)
Okay, I'm gonna violate all the Internet Ego-Inflating Forum Posting Rules here and unashamedly go into full Openly Stupid Mode.

I have never in my life heard of our RLs having a "transfer case," let alone one that needs periodic fluid changes. I knew about my ATF, and my dual-chamber rear diff, and I've dutifully gotten their fluid changed. But if I have a transfer case, it's never had its fluid changed from my acquisition of the car at 35,000 miles until its dotage at 121,000 miles today.

Does the transfer case have a prescribed fluid change interval? If not performed, have our transfer cases been known to fail? Should I be jumping belatedly into action to save my transfer case before I leave a trail of tears and shredded gears all over the turnpike?

You might have heard of it as the front differential?

oo7spy 03-06-2017 03:44 PM

Check #3 in the maintenance minder schedule (manual page 396). "Replace transmission and transfer fluid."

The transfer fluid is the transfer case. The second to last page calls out, "Transfers assembly fluid: SAE90 or SAE80W-90."

TonyCD 03-06-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by projektvertx (Post 15972686)
You might have heard of it as the front differential?

I'll plead double-guilty. I didn't even know our cars had front differentials outside the transmission.

Just to triple down on my confession of dumbness, do FWD cars require transfer-case fluid changes, too? I'd never heard of it. Honestly I thought that all happened in the transmission, or at least in a space that shared its fluid (evidently, duh).

projektvertx 03-06-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy (Post 15972884)
Check #3 in the maintenance minder schedule (manual page 396). "Replace transmission and transfer fluid."

The transfer fluid is the transfer case. The second to last page calls out, "Transfers assembly fluid: SAE90 or SAE80W-90."

Yup yup :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by TonyCD (Post 15972917)
I'll plead double-guilty. I didn't even know our cars had front differentials outside the transmission.

Just to triple down on my confession of dumbness, do FWD cars require transfer-case fluid changes, too? I'd never heard of it. Honestly I thought that all happened in the transmission, or at least in a space that shared its fluid (evidently, duh).

Some cars have it separate from the trans fluid some don't. My V6 Camry shares the diff fluid with the transmission, but the I4 does not share it and has separate differential fluid.

My 1G RL which was FWD was also a separate chamber for the differential. I guess the best answer is it's vehicle specific.

oo7spy 03-06-2017 05:43 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_case

grappler171 03-07-2017 06:39 AM

My wife had a Chrysler 300 M and it's engine was mounted longitudinally as in normal rear wheel drive vehicles. However it was a front wheel drive so it needed a transfer case or differential to make sure that it powered the front wheels correctly. It always depends on how the engineers mount the engine on the vehicle and where they want the power to go.

DanL07RL 03-07-2017 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Skirmich (Post 15966114)
I responded you over MDXers.org:

Unless he has old ATF-Z1 stock the new ATF DW-1 is not meant to be used for the SH-AWD diff so he is full of **** or just plain ignorant.
Since Z1 was discontinued Acura released a specific oil for SH-AWD diffs called "DPSF AWD" not to be confused with plain "DPSF" Fluid.

Part Number is: 08200-9007A < That "A" at the last is important, that letter differentiates plain DPSF to DPSF AWD.. So do not let them sell you: 08200-9007
08200-9007A Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF) - Bernardi Parts

That is what goes into your SH-AWD differential.. Do not let them fill it with DW-1!

I just checked with the techs at the dealer. They actually used DW-1 in the rear diff chambers for a while until the DPSF AWD was fielded, and told me it's fine to use it there....no damage will result. However, they also recommended that at my next rear diff fluid change that I use the DPSF AWD fluid. I will do that.

TonyCD 03-07-2017 01:33 PM

Would you trust 75w-90 full synthetic GL-5 in this application?

oo7spy 03-07-2017 02:51 PM

I would if that's all you can get your hands on.

TonyCD 03-08-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by oo7spy (Post 15973870)
I would if that's all you can get your hands on.

Oh, I'm in a major metro area and have access to anything. I just prefer full synthetic and want to get an appropriate weight.

I saw a link to a story indicating that the SAE recalibrated its weights for gear lube sometime around 2008. It seemed to imply that what used to be called 90 is now called 110. Unfortunately, the link had gone dead.

The writings I've seen suggest that anything called GL-5 is good. For assurance that a synthetic will be the appropriate weight, there's always Amsoil, I guess.

rlx015 03-08-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SSjTrunks112O (Post 15966061)
Hey guys,

I took my '08 RL in to be serviced by the dealer. They are doing some warranty work but the technician said I needed a Transfer Case Fluid change. I got the tranny, rear diff, and brake fluids changed last time I was there, but he said the Transfer Case fluid was for the SHAWD system and said it's like front differential fluid. He quoted me $99.95 for it with 10% off. Is this legit? and the price?

They also charged me $29.95 for wiper inserts which I thought were $10 a piece, $37 for an auto inspection (which I thought they could do for free), and $39.95 for an oil change. They are also doing the motor mounts and door handle under the warranty. But before that, they were trying to make me pay for a diagnostic fee, which I successfully fought off. The normal manager which usually helps me is on vacation and these guys were in his place. These guys seem like they were trying to beat me over my head or that's the impression I got. I would not expect this at a luxury dealership.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. As always, thanks in advance.

What kind of warranty do you have, because I WANT IT TOO!!! :)
I was quoted transmission, rear differential service (transfer cases as well) - $240 on Honda dealer, $280 on Acura dealer... so not sure what is quote $99 including...

beekermartin 03-10-2017 02:57 AM

I recently used Honda's gear oil in my 2005 RL. I know I had asked if that was ok in a thread here and most agreed it was. I just bought a 2007 MDX with 103k for my wife and I have been getting it fully serviced for her. I decided to go with Mobil 1 75w-90 LS in that only because people in the MDX forum have recommended it. I don't know what is better but I imagine the performance is similar and both are very safe. Of course I could have no idea what I am talking about so judge for yourself.

TonyCD 03-12-2017 06:47 PM

Ultimately I ordered Amsoil full synthetic 80w-90. I wanted a full synthetic because I'm confident I'll be negligent enough to never do this fluid change again. I wanted 80w-90 because I wanted to stay within factory viscosity specifications.

I believe what's been said that this is a gearset under very little stress. I'm sure there's damn little difference in viscosity between 75 weight and 80 weight -- just playing it by the book, since I couldn't find 80w-90 full synthetic from anybody else.

Thanks to all for making me one fluid chamber smarter than when this thread started.

Imperial 01-18-2021 09:05 PM

Hey guys! Is this the correct transfer case fluid for 2010 RL? Acura's website doesn't show any images or SAE info, just has "Fluid HGO-1" in the title.

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/oe...o-1-082009014a

dzionny_dzionassi 01-18-2021 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Imperial (Post 16680809)
Hey guys! Is this the correct transfer case fluid for 2010 RL? Acura's website doesn't show any images or SAE info, just has "Fluid HGO-1" in the title.

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/oe...o-1-082009014a

Blues Legend 01-20-2021 11:07 AM

Yes, Honda Hypoid Gear Oil-1 is correct for a 90 degree drive unit.