AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   tighten fuel cap/p0496 after valve adjustment (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/tighten-fuel-cap-p0496-after-valve-adjustment-978491/)

SHUJeff281 04-03-2019 03:38 PM

tighten fuel cap/p0496 after valve adjustment

Had the valve adjustment done on Friday and everything was fine until I started the car up Saturday morning and got the tighten fuel cap message. I drove around for a while and the next time I started the car, the TFC message was gone. The following time I got in the car I got a check emission system message with the code p0496. Is there any record of this fault code post adjustment while the computer adapts to the new valve tensions? I'm hoping it will resolve itself with a few more driving cycles, but if someone with more knowledge could let me know if this is not possible, i'd appreciate it.

truonghthe 04-04-2019 03:30 PM

chance is whoever did the work forgot to hook the vacuum line back to the purge valve canister. its locate behind the throttle body.

projektvertx 04-05-2019 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16407496)
chance is whoever did the work forgot to hook the vacuum line back to the purge valve canister. its locate behind the throttle body.

This. Sounds like someone forgot to hook up a vacuum line.

SHUJeff281 04-05-2019 09:36 AM

I checked the vacuum lines and both are connected. I also disconnected and reconnected the plug and i'm still getting the warning. I'm going to buy a new purge control solenoid today and see if replacing it fixes the warning.

SHUJeff281 04-11-2019 07:32 PM

I changed the Purge solenoid last Saturday and was still getting the "check emissions system" message all this week. I finally called the dealership to set up an appointment to check if the valve adjustment was done improperly and maybe causing the emissions warning. The service advisor told me that there are many parameters that have to be met to trigger the purge solenoid to activate and it's possible to go a week or more with that code and message before the computer activates the purge solenoid again and potentially sees everything working properly. Only then would the message and code go away. He told me that if the message was still there by Monday, to bring it in and he would clear the code and wouldn't you know it, I get in the car to drive home from work tonight and no more message.

SaetypeS 08-28-2019 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SHUJeff281 (Post 16410431)
I changed the Purge solenoid last Saturday and was still getting the "check emissions system" message all this week. I finally called the dealership to set up an appointment to check if the valve adjustment was done improperly and maybe causing the emissions warning. The service advisor told me that there are many parameters that have to be met to trigger the purge solenoid to activate and it's possible to go a week or more with that code and message before the computer activates the purge solenoid again and potentially sees everything working properly. Only then would the message and code go away. He told me that if the message was still there by Monday, to bring it in and he would clear the code and wouldn't you know it, I get in the car to drive home from work tonight and no more message.

Any updates? I know it's been a while but I'm having similar issues and just wanted to check. I replaced my evap purge valve as well and I got a check engine light with engine code P145C