Slight Delay Shifting From Park to Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight Delay Shifting From Park to Drive

Hey Guys!

Hopefully someone can help me out with this - any tips, suggestions, opinions, solutions are all welcome!

I've recently had a small front end collision in my 07 Acura RL - only 32k miles on her.

Had to get some repairs done and I've gotten to the point where I am now filling the cooling system and adding transmission fluid (old transmission cooler got damaged and squirted fluid out).
Not to mention, I replaced the original cooler with an aftermarket cooler that's bigger and better at cooling the fluid.

Anyways, the problem I'm having is that when I shift from Park into Drive, there is a 2 or 3 second delay before the transmission finally kicks in - making a slight clunking sound.
When I shift into Reverse, there's maybe a short 1 second delay with hardly any sounds - but as I travel down the gear selection into Drive, that's when the long delay and louder clunk sound occur. If I shift from Drive into M/S mode or D3 mode, there's no delay, and the shift goes smoothly without any abnormal sounds.

My fluid was pretty low obviously at the start and I didn't do any serious driving - maybe to drive up a trailer or something. I added two-three quarts of additional OEM fluid and turned on the engine, let it run, turned it off, and then checked the level after about 60 seconds and it looked way overfilled. So I drained about two quarts, and then started again by adding in small increments, and ended up adding about a quart or so. Now the level seems fine, but it's still having the same delay/clunk issue going into Drive.

This car has been cared for extremely well and is very young - I don't want to point fingers at the transmission and say it needs to be replaced because I don't think that it does - at least I strongly hope not.

I doubt that this is related, but I'm having trouble with the engine cooling system as well - which I'll make another post about (air trapped inside, fans won't turn on, etc).

Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? It's a fairly new car regardless of the year and I'm hoping it's a simple fix - because with the situation I'm in, it's either really simple or really difficult.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
The delay is actually normal. I’m used to a second delay in engagement.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
uhhh, i'd be more concerned of overheating with trapped air in radiator. get that fixed asap. you can simply "burp" the system
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 AM

I also noticed... You said you added two to three quarts or trans fluid... Drain and fill on the trans is 2.9 quarts...
Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Yup, I get the same delay. I wouldn't worry about it. Been very reliable thus far.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
delay is normal...
Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 AM
10th Gear

A one second delay is normal- but a 3 second delay with a slight "jump" into gear isn't.

Took the car for quick drive the other day and the whole transmission is acting weird.

Long delays in shifting, slipping gears, having a hard time shifting.

I believe the highest gear I got it in was fourth or fifth.

I spoke to a friend who has some knowledge about cars- Hondas in particular and he said that the collision could have hurt the transmission.

Guess I have to start asking some transmission experts. Wish me luck!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 PM
10th Gear

Good news!

For those of you who are having a similar problem- yes, check the fluids, the color/age and level, etc.

However, the solution for mine was simple (wish I figured it out before spending $100 on transmission fluid for a flush).

This is probably very rare for anyone else, but for me, the fix to the delay engagement and trouble shifting around gears while driving was to realign the metal cover on a solenoid right under the battery tray.

I think somehow during the crash or whenever, that metal tube cover on that solenoid went out of place (literally a fraction of a centimeter angled wrong).

I realigned it and voila, transmission works perfect now!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 AM

Good thing you digged into this. Any reason why your fluid got so low btw?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:23 PM
10th Gear

driving as usual today and when i came to a stop everything seemed fine but when i went to accelerate my rpms would rev and vehicle wouldn't move. Eventually it moved and i drove it to the closest parking lot and was shifting from Park to Reverse then to Drive and i noticed a delay but it wasn't like 2 to 3 seconds, it was much longer than that. so i turned off vehicle and started it back up and tried shifting back and forth again and there was no delay. drove vehicle home and before turning it off i started shifting it again to see and sure enough it started to delay and not engage. i turned it off and started vehicle back up and it was fine again. there are no check engine lights or anything like that so im wondering could a dirty air filter be the cause?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

my fluids are good i always get it check every 2 weeks to top it up
Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Is it leaking if you top it up every two weeks?
To my mind air filter has nothing to do with transmission failure
Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Maintenanceman
Agreed. I'd do a 3X3 fluid change, and move on to pressure switches if that doesn't fix it the issue.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 PM
10th Gear

Ok thanks. I don't see any leaks. I do have a warranty on tranny and seals and head gaskets. I was thinking it could possibly be the shift solenoid. I called acura direct and the gentleman told me that could be a cause but taking know till it's up in the air. I ended up making it to aamco which my warranty is coveted through them. I have dealt with them before and there great.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 PM
10th Gear

Would it be a good Idea to ask acura if there were any recalls for my year? Also the air filter I was looking it up and it said if It's really dirty that it could cause shifting problems that's why I was saying that lol my fault
Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 PM
10th Gear

Update on delay shifting issue

Originally Posted by Maintenanceman
hey so I brought it in for second opinion after having aamcco look at it and it aeee.s the tranny is toast and so the route I'm taking is getting a rebuilt tranny from a trusted friend of my pops. Rebuild plus labour is 1900 which I feel like k got a steal. Also he ended up finding a leak behind the flywheel so there was a leak i didn't notice it though. Let me know what you think and thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 06:09 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j.miniaci
hey so I brought it in for second opinion after having aamcco look at it and it aeee.s the tranny is toast and so the route I'm taking is getting a rebuilt tranny from a trusted friend of my pops. Rebuild plus labour is 1900 which I feel like k got a steal. Also he ended up finding a leak behind the flywheel so there was a leak i didn't notice it though. Let me know what you think and thanks

You’re rebuilding the transmission that’s currently in the car, right? I recently had mine rebuilt along with the tourqe converter. And yes, $1900 is a great deal. That same repair would cost you 3-4K at least anywhere else. Have them replace the rear main seal, if they aren’t already. My father in law is a transmission builder at an aamco. I paid $900 for my rebuild ( I didn’t pay any labor, just parts). You can’t even tell I had it rebuilt. Drives the same if not better. Good luck to you!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Josh2005

You’re rebuilding the transmission that’s currently in the car, right? I recently had mine rebuilt along with the tourqe converter. And yes, $1900 is a great deal. That same repair would cost you 3-4K at least anywhere else. Have them replace the rear main seal, if they aren’t already. My father in law is a transmission builder at an aamco. I paid $900 for my rebuild ( I didn’t pay any labor, just parts). You can’t even tell I had it rebuilt. Drives the same if not better. Good luck to you!
The rear main seal ? I guess you replace incase of leaks right? Yea thanks man some places were looking to just make money but I'm lucky enough to know the person through my dad so the price is most definitely lowers then 3k-4k. I can only imagine the power I been missing this whole time. You mentioned changing tour torque converter was it has or did you just change it to start fresh