Should I tint my windows? 40 year old vision here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Should I tint my windows? 40 year old vision here.

I want to tint the windows. I could do without it but I want to protect the interior when it's sitting outside all day. I went to a local shop that's been around a while, and they had only one level of tint. I'm used to a few from living in FL. I'm in SC now. He wants $195 to do the car and will do the back window in one piece. The tint I think was 35% he said it was the darkest legal, but it looked too dark to me. I am about 40 years old and wear glasses and my vision is not what it used to be, especially at night. I am afraid I am not going too be able to see out at night. I would like a 50% tint if I can find it. Something medium or did that tint just seem dark inside. I would like opinions from people here my age and older. You 20 something guys can see to drive with the headlights off, I remember my vision in my 20's. Once it's done, it's done, so it has to be right. I also want to tint my wife's 2 side windows in her pilot, so I might do hers first and check it out. But let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
You will be fine. My mom had her windows tinted at 35% and she's in her mid fifties. When I got my car the windows were tinted at like 5% and I couldn't see anything. I had them redone at 20% and it's perfect for me. Recently my glasses broke. I was using my backup glasses that were a weaker prescription and could still see out my windows just fine at night.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:45 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i have 50fr/35rr in my TL (VA legal) and i have 35 in the front windows of my MDX.

35% is not terribly dark, nor terribly light. you can still see out of the car pretty well. no issues at night (you could always get brighter back up lights (i have these in both cars....love it, BTW), any darker then it gets to be a challenge.

the one thing i will say is the side mirrors at night with the 35% in the MDX are a little tough to see when in tilt mode on a not so lit area by the street lights (checking for the curb). i just roll the window down to see a bit better and all is good.

i love the tint. it took me 6 yrs to get it in my TL (why it took me that long i have no idea).

the tint will take a little bit of getting used to once you have it, BUT you ask yourself, why didn't i do this sooner??

for perspective SUV tint is 20-30%. if you can drive the wife's pilot at night...then you won't have any problems with 35% in your RL.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Racer

I'm going to look around and see if anyone does 50%. But yeah, I can see out of the wife's Pilot factory tint windows fine, never noticed a problem.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

50% is really light...i prefer 35% all around on my TL but VA laws...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sure there's more places that will have different shades of tint for you to pick from. Just have to search around. Bottom line is, no matter what % of tint, it'll protect the interior from the sun, and yourself as well when you're driving. There's a type of clear tint for the front windshield as well, for a total all around UV protection for the inside of the car, but it isn't cheap. Personally, I'd go to a tint shop that has a machine that precuts the window tint to the specs of the car, much better fitment and more reassuring than having to watch the tint guy with a knife going around your car.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I had 35% all around except on the front window when I had my RL. My geezer eyes did just fine at night. I'm older than you, OP.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I've had 35% on my '93 Vigor, '01 TL, and on my RL had 35% on the sides and 15% on the back glass and there was no issues. With my new CTS I went 35% all around.

As others have said, it's dark enough to notice, but not too dark.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
TINT the windows! it MINIMALLY affects your ability to see OUT. it makes your car look 100x better. don't get cheap tint.. make sure they use quality film like 3M.

use the same color all the way around. like 20%. i don't think it looks good to do dark on the back and light on the front. just do the same all the way around.

cheap mod, makes your car look better, stay cooler. do it.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LLUMAR was okay but....

I wasn't thrilled about getting too dark a tint (went WAY to dark - barely legal - on my Integra and didn't want that again) and started checking around for my RL. A local shop told me about LLUMAR and so the next time I was in a bigger city I checked it out.

Went with a clear on the front and something around 50 on the rear window and 35 on the rear passenger windows. Next, left the front windows at clear and had the others changed to 35.

The clear never did much to help with heat or glare, so eventually went to a 50 all the way around.

When I sold it to my friend (Arizona) he found a company that has a 75 that does a decent job of blocking out the heat and glare. The biggest problem for him was night glare in town when lights come from the front but reflect on his diver's or the passenger's window. I 'think' he eventually went with something called SolarGuard. No interference with cell or radar detector and a decent heat reduction and less glare

Not sure if that helps or even what you might be looking for.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
We have 20% 3M Color Stable on both of our vehicles. No complaints at all.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Go for it! I say 50% please update if you do I'm wondering how it will look as well!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:46 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
If you are looking for UV and Heat rejection, not so much privacy, check these out. They are nearly clear. There are also GPS and cell phone friendly.

http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoWindscreen.aspx

http://www.crystallinefilms.com/
Old 04-19-2012, 05:54 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
I'm sure there's more places that will have different shades of tint for you to pick from. Just have to search around. Bottom line is, no matter what % of tint, it'll protect the interior from the sun, and yourself as well when you're driving. There's a type of clear tint for the front windshield as well, for a total all around UV protection for the inside of the car, but it isn't cheap. Personally, I'd go to a tint shop that has a machine that precuts the window tint to the specs of the car, much better fitment and more reassuring than having to watch the tint guy with a knife going around your car.
a good tint installer will HAND CUT the tint to fit your windows perfectly (my tint guy-who has installed tint on A LOT of high profile peep's cars and A LOT of high end exotics). certainly you don't want some hack just cutting tint up around your car without knowing what the hell he is doing.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Tints FTW.

Everything TLGirl said is spot on, ESPECIALLY getting someone to free hand tint your car.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
shahram, 35% tint looks much darker inside when looking at the film than outside in the sun. i have 35% and its perfect. law here in NY is 75% and ive had zero issues
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
go with 3M and u will be happy with the clarity. I have 35% all- around even the windshield. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/
Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I run a 5% 3M all around except for windshield and at night with the windows up it is terribly difficult for me to see at night. If your vision is poor 50% would be safe. 35% isn't extremely dark, but who knows. I think you'd be alright with 35% unless your legally blind.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
What is your concern with visibility? Windshield tint is illegal in most states regardless of transparency. Which other directions will you be looking besides forward that you couldn't see headlights? As for TL girl's comment about reverse lights, does your RL have the backup camera?

That price quote is not bad for a quality tint with warranty. If it is anything else, go elsewhere. Llumar warranties their tint for life and any registered Llumar dealer has to honor a claim.

As you can see in my signature, I have 30/5% (Texas only regulates the front windows). I have zero issues with the front windows and headlights are visible through any tint, so you will always know if people are in your blind spot or behind you. If anything, I love the fact that 5% kills the majority of lights behind me.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
a good tint installer will HAND CUT the tint to fit your windows perfectly (my tint guy-who has installed tint on A LOT of high profile peep's cars and A LOT of high end exotics). certainly you don't want some hack just cutting tint up around your car without knowing what the hell he is doing.
Absolutely correct, and when I was calling around getting prices for my CTS I found out that many installers have a machine that will precut the pieces (as opposed to cutting the film on the car). It's not a necessity if you find a good installer, just speaks to the progression. Any quality installer will use one piece for each pane of glass. Not like years ago where they used multiple pieces.

As for this comment ....

Originally Posted by 23109VC
use the same color all the way around. like 20%. i don't think it looks good to do dark on the back and light on the front. just do the same all the way around.

cheap mod, makes your car look better, stay cooler. do it.

If you're talking about the front and rear SIDE windows, I agree. Having darker in back and lighter in front doesn't look uniform.

Now I would challenge if the comment was regarding what I did with my RL, 35% on the side windows (front and back), and 15% on the rear backlight. You're either looking at the car from the side or the rear and you're not going to notice the difference.

Now if you contend that you'll notice it if you're looking at it from a rear angle, then you're gonna have that issue when you look at it from a front angle too as your front windshield won't have any tint, and your side windows will.

Now as I said earlier, on my new car (CTS), I went 35% all around. In Michigan you are NOT allowed to tint the driver and front passenger window. There is no restriction on the rear side or the back glass. I did go 35% all around (except for the front windshield) figuring it was a compromise. Enough tint so that it's noticeable, but not dark enough to draw attention. I've had 35% tint on my previous three cars with no issues from law enforcement. I do think the car has something to do with it and I had an installer say that to me (he tints the windows on police cars). He said that the police are typically looking at the kids (modified Civics, Integras, etc.) and they USUALLY don't bother higher end cars. Again USUALLY. YMMV

Also in Michigan tinted windows aren't a primary offense, meaning they can't pull you over for just that, but if they pulled you over for something else, then they can give you a tint ticket.

After tinting the windows on my Caddy, I think I'm now regretting that I didn't go a little ldarker on the back glass. The back glass on the CTS Coupe is almost horizontal and going darker may have helped to keep the interior of a black/black car cooler in the summer.

50% is too light in my opinion.

Llumar and 3M produce good films with lifetime warranties. I've had both films for more than 5 years in all my previous cars with no hint of discoloration (turning purple) over time, and unless you're going with a reflective tint, you're not going to have an issue with cell phone or GPS reception.

Last edited by GoHawks; 04-19-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM

Additional note. Like I said, the films have progressed that either Llumar or 3M will work. The issue is less about the film and more about the application. You want a lifetime warranty on the workmanship (bubbling and peeling). That is what is more apt to happen if not done right.

Talk to people to find a good installer. It also helps to ask dealerships. Many times they offer it as an aftermarket option and they farm it out to an installer. Usually dealers don't want the headache and the negativity of having customers bring a car back for that stuff.

For my latest I found a guy who actually has a shop that does tinting and vinyl graphics. He has a physical shop with pictures on his Facebook page, website and all over his waiting room of cars that he has done. I figured that was a little more stable than some guy who will come and do it out of your garage.

Let's face it, anyone can do that and then good luck finding them if something goes wrong. That's not to imply that there aren't quality tinters who work that way (that's how my RL was done), but it' sjust a consideration.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I used to love dark tint, but now I am all about the super light clean tint.

Therefore, I love the idea of 50%. But if you are getting it mainly to protect the inside of your car, I'm not sure that 50% would be best. Granted it's better than nothing, but you might want to go down to 40% or 35%.

I have 30% now and used to have 20%. Now I will never go darker than what I have now. It's perfect.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by uhohkaitlina
I used to love dark tint, but now I am all about the super light clean tint.

Therefore, I love the idea of 50%. But if you are getting it mainly to protect the inside of your car, I'm not sure that 50% would be best. Granted it's better than nothing, but you might want to go down to 40% or 35%.

I have 30% now and used to have 20%. Now I will never go darker than what I have now. It's perfect.
Here is an interesting article about installiing 3M Crystalline and clear bra.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...tive-film.aspx
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
30% all around (side glass and rear window) is perfect. The only *slight* decrease in outward visibility you might get is when it rains at night, the rain on the surface of the windows tends to pick up a little bit of glare from streetlights, headlights, etc but it's nothing terrible.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
35% is a good shade, I got my gf's mom 45% on her BMW and she loves it. It has a nice reflection on it too so its surprisingly hard to see into the car but once you're in the car you can barely tell its tinted..

I have 20% on my RL
Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BluNosr2
30% all around (side glass and rear window) is perfect. The only *slight* decrease in outward visibility you might get is when it rains at night, the rain on the surface of the windows tends to pick up a little bit of glare from streetlights, headlights, etc but it's nothing terrible.
Tint should have not effect on this phenomenon.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Racer

Thanks guys, I feel better now. I went and asked around and they recommended the same place that had the one shade. Said he did good work. I don't think he has a cutting machine tho, as he mentioned the cutting was done on the outside of the car, when I mentioned a previous tint job where my back defroster lines were cut (different car). I remember living in Orlando and tint places were on every corner. There is ONE on my side of town.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

My tint shop cuts the film by hand. No worries there.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
Tint should have not effect on this phenomenon.
Maybe it's just my eyes, but I've owned several vehicles over the years with tint ranging from full black "limo" to the 30% on the RL, and I've found it is definitely a little bit trickier to see out in the dark when it is raining and there are water drops on the windows with overhead lighting, for example when under a streetlight backing up, etc.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
^^ Never had that problem.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yooo guys , im looking for a sick tinting shop in north jersey....
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

66 Temple St. Paterson, NJ.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 49 and holding and I had my windows tinted 35% which is legal in TN. From inside, you cannot tell much difference. Outside it looks darker and should protect the interior. I'm glad I tinted them.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The only thing I have to say is "40 years old IS NOT OLD!!! Get a grip...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Toppatop
The only thing I have to say is "40 years old IS NOT OLD!!! Get a grip...
No, 40 is not old, BUT my eyes are NOT what they were when I was 20. I could drive without headlights when I was 20. 40 is not old, but it's a far cry from a 20 year old body.

I decided that I WILL tint the car 35%, but not right now. I just spent $1100 with my Honda mechanic for new plugs and timing belt on my Pilot, and about $280 for a few tranny changes (manual flush) and diff fluid change and going over the car and he fixed a few other things. So I've spend enough for now. I need the tint and the iPod adaptor for my RL still.

Last edited by shahram72; 04-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
When they apply the tint, do they have to remove the factory window stickers like the engine/key sticker?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
They generally remove the stickers because most applicators clean the window with razor blades.

Also the sticker can introduce bubbles if its not dried properly.

But no, they do not have to be removed.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 40 and just had my RL done in 20% all around....looks dumb if you keep the front windows lighter than the rear. I think it is the perfect %, and I'm an eye doctor. Maybe you need an eye exam?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
When I was young, I would have my windows tinted at 20%. Then
there were a few years (family) where I did not have my windows tinted at all on my autos.
Now at 51 I have two new cars, the wife's 2010 TL SH-AWD which I had tinted 40% all around so as to keep her happy and have it my way as well and my 2011 4Runner which i went with 35% as to match the back windows as close as possible without going with the 20% and it works out fine.
50% just isn't worth doing imo.

Quick Reply: Should I tint my windows? 40 year old vision here.