Shipping a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Shipping a car

This may sound CRAZY. And stupid, (it IS just a [drunken] thought at this point).

A friend of mine shipped his vette from Fla to Seattle (and of course home). He wanted to drive it from Seattle to San fransisco and scope out the scenes in his own car instead of renting One. VERY COOL. He said he shipped it (by train) and it was cheaper than renting a car (or flying someone else out there).

O K. THAT got me thinking. I mentioned it to a friend and he thinks it would be cool to bring our cars out to the west coast this way ( We're now thinking it would be cool to take a cruise like this in our own cars), he has a Prowler and I have a 06 RL. What a F"n drive! ! !

Does anyone have experience on shipping cars across the country? Or the best way (better suggestions)?

THANKS!!

PS We may not do it (more than likely not) but ANY info would be a great help to insinuate! Cause I'd LOVE to see my RL on the west coast! And my friend would DIE to see his prowler anywhere but in FLA. ! !

Thanks!

Last edited by woodek; 04-17-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Pro

Oh. and BTW, I live on the east coast of Fla. (Cape Canaveral).

Late,
W
Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've personally used Dependable Auto Shippers (http://www.dasautoshippers.com/)

&

Auto Transport Direct (http://www.autotransportdirect.com/)

They both transfer cars by truck, not by train. I was happy with both of them except that they take forever to come and pick up the car and forever to get it to the destination because they stop and pick up or drop off other cars on they way. It took about 2 weeks to ship a car from Kansas City, Missouri to Niagara Falls, New York.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAS is a good company. I've shipped many cars that way. Once they did damage something on it but they paid for it to be fixed. It was minor stuff like a cracked tail light.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
This is very interesting. I would love to have my RL in SoCal for two weeks with me.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Pro

Well, I did a little research and as much as I can tell, it's $795 each way (ouch), but the REAL hard thing for me to stomach is the 1 week, and up to 2 weeks for shipment. (from Fla).

I *might* pay $1600.00 to have my car shipped (yea, right), but two weeks each way (with possibly a month of total shipping time) aint gonna get it.

I'll be looking to rent something for less than that, for my west coast cruise. I imaging you could get something pretty sweet for under $1,000 for a week or even less.

Id just love to take my RL on a trip like that. Oh well, a man can dream (or at least just DRIVE across the country). Guess she'll just be stuck in Fla.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Why not just drive cross-country if you've got the time? The RL is indeed an excellent cruiser that would do well on those twist coastal roads.

Shipping clearly takes too long.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Pro

Well, I'd only have a week +/- a few days vacation time. I could probably pull off two weeks though.

Believe me, At this point of ownership with my RL, I'd rather have NO other car and drive across the country. Unfortunately, the drive across, would kill my time off to the cruise the coast.

Guess Ill just fly and rent. This has ALWAYS been a dream of mine. My plan is to drive as far south as I can go, with the time I have. Just wish my RL was there. THAT would be sweet.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I enjoy driving my RL too, but part of the fun in vacation is driving another car!
Like go to vegas and rent an exotic
or cruise the coast in a convertible