Serpentine belt slides off

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Serpentine belt slides off

Hey guys n gals. I'm hoping you have some experience with this. Ever since I rebuilt the front head due to a burnt valve I've had some intermittent/random charging system warnings like the alternator was starting to go out. It didnt happen every day or every time I drive the car. Just now and then for about 2 weeks now. Well yesterday I had to drive through a pretty hard storm. Hit some large puddles and suddenly got the charging system error, followed by AC and PS failing. I was able to manhandle the steering to get it home (not fun in the rain with no AC on an 80* day). Popped the hood to find the belt slipped off the track, as I had hoped. It was still intact with no damage, so I simply replaced it and fired it up to make sure everything was working again. It does. No more warning lights. However, now, for some reason, the belt is awfully close to the edge of the auto tensioner pulley and when the car is running, I can see the tensioner wobble forward/backward. Took it for a spin and the belt now squeals briefly when I turn in either direction for the first turn or two after starting. My question is, do I need to just buy a new tensioner assembly? How did this get so out of alignment? Do I need to get a belt as well?

EDIT: I went ahead and picked up a new tensioner and belt while I was at work today. Just finished putting it all back together and the belt constantly makes noise at low RPM and it's still aligned near the edge of the upper tensioner pulley. What did I do wrong? How can this get messed up? Seems dummy proof since it tensions it all automatically.Good thing I did get a new tensioner though. The old one had cracked on the body where the spring is housed.

Youtube video of the bad alignment:
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine belt slides off-20170531_175336.jpg  

Last edited by sccrxer; 06-01-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM
BSQ
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you done anything with the power steering pump? That appears to be the only thing at this point that would cause the belt misalignment.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSQ
Have you done anything with the power steering pump? That appears to be the only thing at this point that would cause the belt misalignment.
I agree with you, but I can't see any adjustments for the pump. I had to unbolt it when I rebuilt the front cylinder head. Could I have missed something here? There were just two bolts that held it on. Being that it mainly squeals when I make slight steering wheel adjustments, I lean toward the pump as well, but shouldn't the tensioner be tight enough to prevent the slippage? It also stops the squalling after I've driven a few miles and only does it at idle RPMs.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:49 PM
BSQ
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sccrxer
I had to unbolt it when I rebuilt the front cylinder head. Could I have missed something here? There were just two bolts that held it on.
Correct, there are two bolts that hold it one. Since you removed it to rebuilt the cylinder head, I would check and make sure that it is mounted flush to the mounting bracket.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSQ
Correct, there are two bolts that hold it one. Since you removed it to rebuilt the cylinder head, I would check and make sure that it is mounted flush to the mounting bracket.

yeah they're both tight and appear flush with the mounting surfaces.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
I recently had my tensioner and belt replaced. After that was done I could hear some whining noise every once and awhile. I thought it was the A/C compressor. A few days later the crank pulley came apart. Maybe your crank pulley is coming apart?

That probably isn't your problem but worth a look.
The following users liked this post:
sccrxer (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Pro

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/oe...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D

Here is a link to the crank pulley. It is a harmonic balancer as well. Essentially the metal ring the belt rides on can separate from the rubber center. As the ring works itself loose it can cause the belt to walk like yours is doing.
sccrxer (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Advanced

wow, thanks for the suggestion. I'll inspect it again, but it looked perfect when I had it off during all the work.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by beekermartin
I recently had my tensioner and belt replaced. After that was done I could hear some whining noise every once and awhile. I thought it was the A/C compressor. A few days later the crank pulley came apart. Maybe your crank pulley is coming apart?

That probably isn't your problem but worth a look.
dude holy crap. I just went out and recorded a video of the crank pulley/harmonic balancer while the AC is on to capture it while squealing. I can watch it move in and out when the squealing starts/ends. I've never witnessed this behavior before. Is this indicative of a bad balancer? I would think so!

Old 06-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Pro

Bam! That's your problem. It is a good idea to replace the key way as well when you change the crank pulley. It only cost a few dollars. Obviously don't drive the car until you replace it.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Just picked one up from autozone and it came with the woodruff key. Going out to install it now. I'll report back if it fixed the problem or not.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Pro

I am 100% positive that is your problem! I hope you have a powerful impact gun to get it off. Otherwise you'll need a special tool to prevent it from spinning while your trying to break it free.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by beekermartin
I am 100% positive that is your problem! I hope you have a powerful impact gun to get it off. Otherwise you'll need a special tool to prevent it from spinning while your trying to break it free.
Well, thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. I have NEVER seen one of these separate and I've been working on old hondas for about 16 years now. 88-91 honda civics and CRXs used to be all I'd drive, so you can imagine I've got a bit of experience rebuilding the entire car. Took about 20 minutes and the new balancer is on and I have no more squeals! I can't thank you enough. I bought a Ryobi cordless impact a few years ago and it was worth every penny for stubborn bolts on the cars I work on. It took the pulley bolt out with little effort.
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine belt slides off-20170603_175359.jpg  
Old 06-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Pro

Your welcome. I'm glad you got it fixed.
projektvertx (06-04-2017)