Rust just coming through on my 05 RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:34 PM
GRL
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rust just coming through on my 05 RL

Please help me. I've been advised that this rust above the rear wheel well can be cut out and refinished but it's temporary. The other option is to replace the entire rear quarter panel at about $2500. I'd just like to thwart the growth of the rust. Does anyone have a trick that can keep the rust from running rampant? Superglue to close the breakthrough??? Any rust deterants that could hold the growth off for a while? I know someone has some magic solution to keep the rust from growing like a weed. Will you please share your experience with your trials with me? Please let me know if you have questions. This car has 208,000 miles on it but looks like a 2 year old car. No door dings, no seat wear, etc. We have other daily drivers but I just can't part with this for some reasen and/or what someone would give me. I've done all the maintenance at Acura as called for; someone always asks me if they can buy it but who really wants to buy a car with 208K unless the took care of it?

I'm looking for any rust deterent option that might be possible. Again, I'm only hoping to hold it at bay! I understand that it will eventionally take over.

Thank you forum,
GRL
Old 08-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by GRL
Please help me. I've been advised that this rust above the rear wheel well can be cut out and refinished but it's temporary. The other option is to replace the entire rear quarter panel at about $2500. I'd just like to thwart the growth of the rust. Does anyone have a trick that can keep the rust from running rampant? Superglue to close the breakthrough??? Any rust deterants that could hold the growth off for a while? I know someone has some magic solution to keep the rust from growing like a weed. Will you please share your experience with your trials with me? Please let me know if you have questions. This car has 208,000 miles on it but looks like a 2 year old car. No door dings, no seat wear, etc. We have other daily drivers but I just can't part with this for some reasen and/or what someone would give me. I've done all the maintenance at Acura as called for; someone always asks me if they can buy it but who really wants to buy a car with 208K unless the took care of it?

I'm looking for any rust deterent option that might be possible. Again, I'm only hoping to hold it at bay! I understand that it will eventionally take over.

Thank you forum,
GRL
I had rust fixed right above and behind rear tire and rear bumper where it meets the body - painpoint of all hondas and acuras I think... it was not expensive, but it did come back after 2-3 years of fixing it... it is not crazy huge and for 12yr old car (06 here) I don't care much of fixing it... on the driverside rear same spot I have not fixed and it seems that is moving pretty slow in increasing the area of rust.

My recommendation would be - based on how big the area is, consider fixing maybe but replacing the whole piece - not worth in my opinion for such old car...
Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW: Had a similar rust issue at the center top area of the right rear quarter wheel "lip" on my 03 TLS. Removed the r/r wheel, wire brushed and sanded the entire inside of the wheel lip area, coated the area with POR 15, and topped it with spray on undercoating. That was over four years, and 50K miles ago, and, fingers crossed, no further spread of rust, at this time. Current miles, 244K
Old 08-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
FWIW: Had a similar rust issue at the center top area of the right rear quarter wheel "lip" on my 03 TLS. Removed the r/r wheel, wire brushed and sanded the entire inside of the wheel lip area, coated the area with POR 15, and topped it with spray on undercoating. That was over four years, and 50K miles ago, and, fingers crossed, no further spread of rust, at this time. Current miles, 244K
Can you share any pictures perhaps to show the final product how it looks after you fixed it?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2018, 05:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
I didn't take any pics., prior to or after, sorry. What I had, was small rust bubbles forming on the outside of the flat portion of the passenger side rear wheel lip. The rust was very viable on the inside of the wheel lip, the portion which runs parallel with the tire. A 4-5 inch section of the wheel lip, was actually rusted off. After I treated the underside of the lip, I installed a 7/8" black rubber wheel lip molding on the outside of the wheel lip, to cover the small rust bubbles. Prior to installing the molding, I peeled the rust bubbles off, exposing the underlying rust, dried them out, with a heat gun, treated them with POR15, and than installed the molding.