Rockauto and service..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Rockauto and service..

Last April (2018) I bought a complete set of Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors and pads for my 2k6. The last couple months I've been getting a lot of feedback from the brake pedal, I believe that the rotor or pads are warped, not sure why or how but they aren't working properly.
I was going to send an email to Powerstop but checked my rockauto account first to try and get a copy of the receipt. There was the ability to choose "warranty" on my purchase, I clicked on it, followed the prompts and moments later I'm getting an email saying that my new parts will ship out soon and I need to keep the old parts for 2 weeks incase they need them back. I was ready to cough up the 178.00 to replace but damn, rockauto and powerstop provide a great warranty and EASY replacement policy.

More than happy about this - I'll gladly give rockauto my business going forward.

Thumbs up.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Rockauto is solid!
Old 01-19-2019, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by H8PVMT
Last April (2018) I bought a complete set of Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors and pads for my 2k6. The last couple months I've been getting a lot of feedback from the brake pedal, I believe that the rotor or pads are warped, not sure why or how but they aren't working properly.
I was going to send an email to Powerstop but checked my rockauto account first to try and get a copy of the receipt. There was the ability to choose "warranty" on my purchase, I clicked on it, followed the prompts and moments later I'm getting an email saying that my new parts will ship out soon and I need to keep the old parts for 2 weeks incase they need them back. I was ready to cough up the 178.00 to replace but damn, rockauto and powerstop provide a great warranty and EASY replacement policy.

More than happy about this - I'll gladly give rockauto my business going forward.

Thumbs up.
Can you please report back if you receive replacement parts?
The reason I am asking is that I had drilled slotted rotors and power stop brake pads (Z23 I think was the package) and pretty much I was told off by PowerStop and by Rockauto - after 6 months I was getting lot of vibration feedback in steering wheel and I was told I need to have my suspension checked by the PowerStop people. RockAuto did nothing to help - so pretty much after few months and $300+ spent dollars on this kit I had to purchase a replacement and change my rotors and brakes.

I find this very interesting that you had such experience as I claimed the warranty the very same way. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I warrantied a couple of items on my Camry thru them. The process was very smooth! Essentially, the way I see it, you put a deposit on the new part until you send the broken on back.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rl015
Can you please report back if you receive replacement parts?
The reason I am asking is that I had drilled slotted rotors and power stop brake pads (Z23 I think was the package) and pretty much I was told off by PowerStop and by Rockauto - after 6 months I was getting lot of vibration feedback in steering wheel and I was told I need to have my suspension checked by the PowerStop people. RockAuto did nothing to help - so pretty much after few months and $300+ spent dollars on this kit I had to purchase a replacement and change my rotors and brakes.

I find this very interesting that you had such experience as I claimed the warranty the very same way. Please keep us posted.
i got the parts!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for confirming. I am super puzzled why would Rockauto and PowerStop do what they did in my case when I tried to claim the warranty. One thing is for sure - I am not getting these ever again or recommending anyone to get them :/
Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for confirming. I am super puzzled why would Rockauto and PowerStop do what they did in my case when I tried to claim the warranty. One thing is for sure - I am not getting these ever again or recommending anyone to get them :/
Here is the PowerStop response - had to dig it out from my mailbox:

After I contacted them stating my steering wheel is shaking when I brake they initially responded with "warped rotors warranty is only 60 days, and if they were manufactured warped shaking would occur during that period" ...

"Anytime there is a pulsation when braking 9/10 times it will be the rotors are warped. It is also possible that a suspension part is damaged causing the steering to shake. As you stated we do have a 3-year/36,000 mile warranty but that only cover if the pads or rotors are cracked. The second to last sentence pertains to your situation. I hope this clarifies any warranty misunderstanding.

“POWER STOP BRAKE KITS (Z16, Z23, Z26, Z36, AND Z37 PERFORMANCE KITS EXCLUDING CALIPER KITS), PURCHASED AND INSTALLED AS A KIT
If a customer is not satisfied with the quality and performance of a kit for any reason within 60 days of the invoice date or the installation date by a professional technician (an invoice from the installation shop is required), and the required break-in procedure was implemented, Power Stop LLC will provide a one-time exchange of the kit for a new one. This no-questions-asked, 60 day warranty must be facilitated by the authorized Power Stop retailer.

Power Stop LLC warrants this product to be free from defects and poor workmanship for 3 years from the purchase date or 36,000 miles of use, whichever occurs first. The product, when properly installed on the type of vehicle prescribed, and in which a defect in workmanship or material is found, will be exchanged free of charge if returned to the seller who is authorized to give this warranty. Power Stop LLC is not responsible for its products when they are subjected to misuse, abuse, improper application, improper installation, or accident. This warranty includes rotor cracking. The 3-year/36,000-mile warranty excludes failure of components due to disc thickness variation (DTV*), usually indicated by brake pulsation. Normal wear is not covered by this warranty. "

Thank you,
Gerardo Serrano
"

After this response here is RockAuto's response...

"We’re sorry there was a problem with your order. Power Stop does not cover warped rotors under warranty, and due to this we are unable to facilitate a warranty replacement or offer credit in this situation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please see our Help pages or Warranties page for more information.

Thank you,
Maxwell
RockAuto Customer Service
"

'Til today's date I have no clue why both PowerStop and RockAuto kept referring to rotors issue as rotors being warped ... I never said warped, I never said bent - just described what was the issue, that after months of use these crapped out and are causing the shaking in the steering wheel... brake-in was completed by the PowerStop instructions, and again that meant NOTHING... Garbage product, Garbage response, Garbage warranty - and garbage response from re-seller, in this case: RockAuto.com... just reading their responses frustrates me all over again...
Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I also got some Powerstops from Rock Auto. Paired them with Akebobo pads. Lasted about 5k before vibration began. By 10k it was annoying enough to motivate me to replace them. I went with Raybestos Advanced and so far so good. Been about 20k miles.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
And that is why i only bought the pads.

when rl015 didn't respond in time to the thread in the Tire & Suspension section, i did my own digging online. I concluded I am only willing to try out their pads z23. And, so far so good almost 1 year now.
rlx015 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:20 PM

I know the OEM pads on the car are Advics.

Does anyone know which are the OEM rotors? are they Beck & Arnley?

No, neither the rotors nor the pads on the RL are Brembo. I believe those were some TLs.

Last edited by RL09; 02-03-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Can't say I'm a powerstop fan based on what I've seen many users experience here. I'd personally get Akebono pads and Centric premium or high carbon rotors, listed under daily driver. My Centric rotor survived 30 miles of driving on a sticky caliper on the Camry. After that experience, I'm a believer.
rlx015 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Can't say I'm a powerstop fan based on what I've seen many users experience here. I'd personally get Akebono pads and Centric premium or high carbon rotors, listed under daily driver. My Centric rotor survived 30 miles of driving on a sticky caliper on the Camry. After that experience, I'm a believer.
The OEM does say it's high carbon.

You stuck that centric idea in my head last year, and im still leaning towards it. But, so long as my dealer discs are surviving, im only changing pads and praying
Old 02-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I been using nothing but Centric blank on 3 cars and so far nothing wrong, BTW those drilled and slotted or slotted is garbage for street driving.

check out my Acura TL thread and you will see why.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RL09
And that is why i only bought the pads.

when rl015 didn't respond in time to the thread in the Tire & Suspension section, i did my own digging online. I concluded I am only willing to try out their pads z23. And, so far so good almost 1 year now.
Makes sense - pads are really good I think... in my case I went with solid rotors from rockauto.com and akebono pads - night and day difference, 'til today's date they are performing really well... Z23 pads are also a good pick, but one thing I did not know or want to risk was pads being that good to perhaps warp some other solid rotors I get - I may entertain that option in the future given that you have no issues so far.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by projektvertx
After seeing your recommendation I went that route and could not be happier for average driving I do

Old 02-05-2019, 05:22 AM

Makes sense - pads are really good I think... in my case I went with solid rotors from rockauto.com and akebono pads - night and day difference, 'til today's date they are performing really well... Z23 pads are also a good pick, but one thing I did not know or want to risk was pads being that good to perhaps warp some other solid rotors I get - I may entertain that option in the future given that you have no issues so far.
What solid rotors?

and by solid does that mean not slotted or drilled?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
I been using nothing but Centric blank on 3 cars and so far nothing wrong, BTW those drilled and slotted or slotted is garbage for street driving.

check out my Acura TL thread and you will see why.
Yeah, I highyl recommend Centric rotors.
rlx015 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RL09
What solid rotors?

and by solid does that mean not slotted or drilled?
Yeah, sorry - solid as in solid surface (not slotted, not drilled)... I got Centric High Carbon I think
RL09 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Great feedback everyone, thank you. Hopefully these will last, I do think I have some suspension issues as well so today I'm replacing damn near everything - figured why not since I have it all apart.

upper/lower control arms
inner/outer tie rods
CV axles
and of course the brakes, I'll be able to see if the rotors are warped once I get them off.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by H8PVMT
Great feedback everyone, thank you. Hopefully these will last, I do think I have some suspension issues as well so today I'm replacing damn near everything - figured why not since I have it all apart.

upper/lower control arms
inner/outer tie rods
CV axles
and of course the brakes, I'll be able to see if the rotors are warped once I get them off.
Once all is replaced let us know how is the ride and if you are still hearing clunk noise...