RL vs ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
RL vs ZDX

RL in shop and got ZDX loaner. A quick compare for anyone who's interested:

NAVI screen is beautifull!
Has touch door lock/unlock, but lock is a "real" button. Acura probably had too many complaints on the RL door lock.
Only way to manually shift is with paddles (at least that's all I could figure out without RTFM). Also, could not get it to stay in 1st. I live on steep hill and in RL I use 1st gear going up and down. ZDX would blink "1" then shift to 2nd or I'm not really sure it actually went to 1st.
View out the Rear (tailgate) window especially through mirror seems restricted. That said, it has rear view camera - probably a must have.
Inside driver/front passenger area seems quite a bit bigger than RL. I have not yet gotten in the Rear - I know some of the reviews say its a tough entry into rear.
Speaking of getting in, it's a lot higher than RL and takes a good up step to get in. I have an SUV as another car, and it seems like a higher step up than my SUV.
I read some magazine reviews and the specs say it is just as fast (or slow) as the RL, but it feels slower driving it. Will take it on interstate tomorrow and check that out better.
In its current setting, a stiffer ride which feels consistent with expectation, but I think there is a way to adjust the suspension.
Sun Roof is kind of cool, but it does not open all the way. Back portion does not open at all.
Lots of added technology features that I have not gone through.
So far, I have a good impression and might be tempted given new RL is not due until 2012 (my RL is getting long in the tooth at 112K miles)
Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
long in tooth..

i have 143,000 on my 05 rl NO Problems.. do my mainta and drives like the day i bought it with 23miles on it. it is better than my friends new 2010 cars. so do your belts,etc.. keep it clean and it will run along time.... no payments!!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by christopher1
i have 143,000 on my 05 rl NO Problems.. do my mainta and drives like the day i bought it with 23miles on it. it is better than my friends new 2010 cars. so do your belts,etc.. keep it clean and it will run along time.... no payments!!
"long in tooth" - aha I stand corrected

My RL is driving fine as well, I'm not complaining. Just looks a bit old due to rock pitting on front and perhaps after 5 years, I'm just feeling like a change.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, While in service the other day at my local dealer, i checked out the ZDX and i have to say that beside the sport exterior, the interior is a little low. I test drive it and the man told me to compare it to my 05 RL which currently at 140k. I just feel that my RL is still a notch higher in any way compare to this ZDX
Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the look of the ZDX but sat in one the other day when I had the MDX in for service and it seems to me that the view to the (rear) sides and out the back is so bad, it's an accident waiting to happen.

LL
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is nearly impossible for anyone over 5 ft to get in the back of a ZDX without being a contortionist. The GM at my dealer says they sell well but are under powered, and really only for 2 people. I wouldn't want one, can't even take another couple out for dinner. The interior is nicely done but not as nice as the new M37. I'll keep my RL
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I like the look of the ZDX now that I've seen it in person. It'd be great for me since we have a little one. Inside, it's basically an RL on stilts....and that interior is damned near perfect. I still haven't driven one yet, though. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd look at it in addition to the RL.

That rear entry, though....ouch! I hit my head EVERY time I try to get in the rear seat.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

I tried the backseat last night - definitely an issue getting in and out, at least for adults!
From a driving point of view, it feels sluggish compared to the RL. I do like the interior.
Not sure if it has ANC as engine noise is louder than RL.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
It has a version of ANC...also, how is the sound system. The same site, acuranews.com tells of an 8 inch subwoofer that can go down below 20 Hz...

...A big 8-inch diameter downward-firing subwoofer is placed under the cargo floor in a specially tuned 25-liter acoustic enclosure. This unusually large enclosure provides improved bass response and extends frequency range from 20 Hz down to an amazingly low 16Hz-all with very low harmonic distortion....

ACTIVE SOUND CONTROL

The 2010 ZDX has the latest version of Acura's Active Sound Control (ASC) system. ASC is linked to throttle position and engine rpm to provide a quieter cockpit during normal cruising.The ASC system operates whenever the ZDX is running, whether the audio system is on or off. There are two microphones mounted in the headliner-one just behind the front overhead console and another just ahead of the overhead rear light module. The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and then send a signal to the Active Sound Control unit. The ASC then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to the door speakers and the subwoofer positioned under the cargo deck to dramatically reduce amount of booming sound from the exhaust. ASC also substantially reduces high- and middle-frequency noise during normal cruising.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Interesting - so it does have ANC. However, it is not as quiet as the RL as far as engine noise. Road/tire noise is quiter though.

I have not really put the sound system to full test. I'll give it a go later today.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Have not driven the ZDX, but have sat in one more than a few times. Interior is REALLY sharp (IMO) and I do like the exterior, but I just can't see owning one. It's too small to be an SUV, and it's too big to be anything that resembles a sports sedan.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Have not driven the ZDX, but have sat in one more than a few times. Interior is REALLY sharp (IMO) and I do like the exterior, but I just can't see owning one. It's too small to be an SUV, and it's too big to be anything that resembles a sports sedan.

I hear you, but it is growing on me!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer in a big city said they have sold just 1 so far. They basically said it's a total dog. I wholeheartedly agree after seeing it in person and sitting in the back. Dumbest design I've seen in a long time.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i sat in one at the dealer and sort of liked it... from pictures I'd seen I thought it would be stupid, but once I saw it in person - I though it was nice. I have no idea how it drives... if it is underpowered, that's not going to help...

the bad thing about the ZDX is that it's in a weird niche. It's not an SUV... it is less practical than an RDX, and you coudlnt' even compare it to an MDX...which is a GREAT SUV.... nor is it a sports car or sport sedan.... the TL SH-AWD is likely a sportier ride, and has bigger more functional back seats...

if you want a true sports car - there are plenty of choices...

the ZDX probably appeals to the older crowd who have a grandkid or two...so they may occasionally need a back seat for the grandkid or a friend - but really just need a 2 seater...they don't want a true sports car, and they like the idea of an SUV but dont' want a real one.. it's like a sports car, SUV, sedan all morphed into one..

they look neat but probably have a very limited market. anyone with a couple kids wouldn't/shouldn't buy it as it's impractical. maybe the upscale 20/30 somethings with no kids.. ?

the downside I see is that it's not really that good at anything. It lacks the practicality of a real SUV even though it kind of looks like one. It lacks the actual power of a sports car or sports sedan - even though they try to make it look like one - and it lacks the true functionality/practicaliy of a sedan, even though it looks like one...

for the money you sould spend on a new ZDX - you could buy a new TSX and get a CPO S2000.... you'd have functional utility and a true sportscar...

or do what I did - buy a CPO RL and have more functionality, as much luxury, and grab a used boxster for the "need for speed'.... I spent LeSS money obtaining both my RL and Porsche than what it would cost to get a new ZDX..
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

The ZDX is competing with the BMW X6 and all the other crossovers. I agree with you in a sense that its really not that good at any one thing, but that is basically true for all the other crossovers as well. I'm not trying to defend it, but there seem to be a lot of people going for that segment. Its significantly less money than the X6 and I thik it looks better.

My last impression of it after one day of driving is that it was fun to drive and I did like the looks of it - both in and out. I'd prefer a bit more power, but it wasn't a dog. The technology features are great.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It must be bought with those factory 22in rims i think they are 22 inches
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoWRL
It must be bought with those factory 22in rims i think they are 22 inches
Factory option is 20x9 one piece cast with Rim Rolled Technology, which are descriptors for Enkei MAT manufacturing which will cut down on the weight...the rim rolling is supposed to give the wheel hoop material forged like qualities, so lighter weight and higher strength.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I am at my Acura dealer now...waiting on my new tires install and driver armrest to be replaced.

While here I looked at the ZDX, sat in it and drove one. It is not for me, and I do not like the exterior styling. I do like the interior styling but the plastics are not as nice as the MDX and far below the RLs interior materials. I am 6'4'' and it was not too easy to get in or out of, and could not get into the rear at all.

I drives more like the MDX (as it should, sharing the MDX platform) but perhaps due to the cockpit size, I expected a more sedan like ride. Frankly for the pricepoint, the MDX is superior in materials, useability, styling and comfort, IMHO. This car is simply a zoot suit, which is fine for those who like to wear a zoot suit. Who cares is it performs a half second or better or worse than model XXX. The point of this car is to be as different as anything else, no like anything else.

And if anyone likes and wears a zoot suit, they don't waist time comparing it to a Brooks Brothers suit, or an Armani suit. It is meant to be different, and not like other suits.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I am at my Acura dealer now...waiting on my new tires install and driver armrest to be replaced.

While here I looked at the ZDX, sat in it and drove one. It is not for me, and I do not like the exterior styling. I do like the interior styling but the plastics are not as nice as the MDX and far below the RLs interior materials. I am 6'4'' and it was not too easy to get in or out of, and could not get into the rear at all.

I drives more like the MDX (as it should, sharing the MDX platform) but perhaps due to the cockpit size, I expected a more sedan like ride. Frankly for the pricepoint, the MDX is superior in materials, useability, styling and comfort, IMHO. This car is simply a zoot suit, which is fine for those who like to wear a zoot suit. Who cares is it performs a half second or better or worse than model XXX. The point of this car is to be as different as anything else, no like anything else.

And if anyone likes and wears a zoot suit, they don't waist time comparing it to a Brooks Brothers suit, or an Armani suit. It is meant to be different, and not like other suits.
Agree on the zoot suit analogy. You either like it or you don't. I do like it.
Interesting that you think the interior materials in the RL are that much better. I'll grant you that it does not have any wood (that is plood), but I thought materials looked good for the car. Also, aren't you in getting your arm rest replaced . Mine is torn as well.
As for the MDX, I never really liked the styling, so I've never even looked inside one. To each his own as they say.
As I said, my RL is getting "long in tooth". I was hoping the new RL would be out sooner. At this point, I'll probably wait, but if I was in the market the ZDX would be one I would consider. If it was a hybrid, I'd probably go for it now.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a chance to check a ZDX out a while back while waiting for an oil change. It just didn't do anything for me especially with all the hype generated by Acura.
To me it looks too much like the FX35 only with more of a slant to the roof. Looking at last month's sales, they are not exactly flying off the lots.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I tested the ZDX at my local dealership the first week they came out. I have to admit that the exterior styling looks a "little" better in person than it did in the pre-release photos. The interior dash styling was nice, but the rear compartment space was NOT.

My first impression was that this was a 4 door RL "coupe" on an SUV platform.

At its price point I can't see it being very successful.

If I wanted an SUV I would get an MDX.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Although I sat in a brand-new ZDX when they first came out, I hadn't driven one, until today. Today, I dropped off my decrepit '06 RL for the brake recall and my service manager gave me their ZDX to drive home (office).

Having now adjusted it, driven it on street, highway and tight canyon, climbed in and out of it and parked it a few times, I can say with certainty, "Blech!"

Super-wide sills that exaggerate the height of the car for ingress/egress -- I image that short folks under 6' have to use real effort to get in and out of this car unless they step up on the door opening like it's a running board.

Very limited rear and rear quarter visibility, and not much useful space back there, anyway.

Zoomy and sticks to the pavement well, but not better than my RL in tight corners (and I pushed 'em both today). Great Nav screen. Big brakes, mucho good.

Reflective (silver!) elements on the dash reflect strong light and patterns onto the windshield and side glass.

I was so stoked to get back in my old jalopy wit the near perfect interior, low stance, wide visibility and throaty go-time sound.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You forgot to mention the rear ingress, which every time I've tried, I've bumped my head. Every single time. Is it any wonder the designer of the ZDX has moved on to GM? GM's loss, I'm afraid.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
...I know some... say its a tough entry into rear.
That's what she said...

I'm sorry, but I HAD to say it.

Does anyone here feel the unlock switch is confusing or hard to operate? I guess I have only owned Legend unlock controls so everything else just feels unnatural.