RL from ILX

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pcloadletter
Nice choice, I really enjoyed my RL. Don't waste you money on a detail, it looks great from the pictures. Get some good summer tires as it will transform the car.
Thank you!
It's pretty much summer, here in Southeast Texas, all the time compared to other places. I'll try these tires out that are coming on it, but if they don't work out I will go with my normal choice of Michelin.

It's going to be delivered today!
Yahoooooooooooo!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by schen72
I have both a '16 ILX and a '06 RL. The RL is by far the better built vehicle with more premium materials inside. Even compared to the '16 ILX (which is already a step up from the pre-16 ILXs) it's always jarring when I go between these cars. The ILX is fun in a go-kart kind of way, but the RL is like driving a tank. Here's a top tip: the door detents on the RL are not strong enough. So if you quickly open the door and then get out, you might find the door coming right back at you and slamming into your body. The RL door is very heavy compared to the ILX.
I've turned it into a little game. The doors are not only heavy but so precisely aligned they'll latch themselves. So I rock the door open, hop in and let it close itself. A satisfying little reminder of what a well-made car I'm sitting in.
The following users liked this post:
RL09 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
I've turned it into a little game. The doors are not only heavy but so precisely aligned they'll latch themselves. So I rock the door open, hop in and let it close itself. A satisfying little reminder of what a well-made car I'm sitting in.
I do the same thing!

Also, if you do close the door from the inside, make sure to grab the handle from the bottom, not the top. The top is known to be a weak point and it may rip off over time.

Another example of how well engineered the RL is the flush side glass. Note how the door windows are totally flush with the trim. I've never seen any other car do that, even more expensive brands.
RL09 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by schen72
I do the same thing!

Also, if you do close the door from the inside, make sure to grab the handle from the bottom, not the top. The top is known to be a weak point and it may rip off over time.

Another example of how well engineered the RL is the flush side glass. Note how the door windows are totally flush with the trim. I've never seen any other car do that, even more expensive brands.
Yep, 100% agree about the interior door handles. I'm confident if it ever broke at the top a spot of epoxy would fix it, but I have no interest in proving that.

I've seen other cars with flush side glass – the Legacy of that era or the new VW Arteon or Audi A7 comes to mind – but only with frameless door glass, which invites trouble as it ages. The RL's excellent aerodynamics combine with SH-AWD to give it remarkable stability at speed. The big storm system this weekend caused me to drive through 60 mph crosswinds, and the car didn't even budge. It's stuff like that makes me take the RL's strengths for granted until I drive some other car and discover to my surprise that it is subject to the laws of physics. The RL spoils you by letting you simply not worry about things other drivers have to. I remember once driving on the Interstate through a driving thunderstorm. I saw a late-model BMW sedan whose driver had pulled over beneath an underpass to wait it out. But the RL's contoured glass was shedding all the water as it moved surefootedly forward, and I simply had no reason to do the same.

Last edited by TonyCD; 02-25-2019 at 06:59 PM.
RL09 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Yep, 100% agree about the interior door handles. I'm confident if it ever broke at the top a spot of epoxy would fix it, but I have no interest in proving that.

I've seen other cars with flush side glass – the Legacy of that era or the new VW Arteon or Audi A7 comes to mind – but only with frameless door glass, which invites trouble as it ages. The RL's excellent aerodynamics combine with SH-AWD to give it remarkable stability at speed. The big storm system this weekend caused me to drive through 60 mph crosswinds, and the car didn't even budge. It's stuff like that makes me take the RL's strengths for granted until I drive some other car and discover to my surprise that it is subject to the laws of physics. The RL spoils you by letting you simply not worry about things other drivers have to. I remember once driving on the Interstate through a driving thunderstorm. I saw a late-model BMW sedan whose driver had pulled over beneath an underpass to wait it out. But the RL's contoured glass was shedding all the water as it moved surefootedly forward, and I simply had no reason to do the same.
I can't stand frameless door windows. My Integra used to have that and eventually when the rubberstripping hardens a bit the window doesn't tuck inside it anymore. Higher end cars drop the window a tiny bit, then raise it when the door is closed. All that window movement means... one day that motor will wear out. My wife had bought a VW Bug convertible before we met and that car had frameless door windows obviously. The motor for dropping/raising the window would sometimes leave it dropped 10% of the time so you'd have to stop the car, reset the window switch by doing a full open, then full close, then holding the switch up for 30 seconds. This was a new car too. What a piece of sh*t. Also, having frameless means some people will close the door by pushing on the glass which just looks so fragile to me.
RL09 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JMJ3rd
Thank you!
It's pretty much summer, here in Southeast Texas, all the time compared to other places. I'll try these tires out that are coming on it, but if they don't work out I will go with my normal choice of Michelin.

It's going to be delivered today!
Yahoooooooooooo!
Any pics yet?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:42 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
You young guys can do that!
I've developed the right amount of force for the door to land in the detent, so far, then get out.