Replacing Rear Bumper Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Replacing Rear Bumper Trim

An evil shopping cart made it all the way across the parking lot to find my RL parked in no man's land.

There is a gouge in the rear bumper trim piece. This is the piece that is inset into the bumper and wraps around the corners of each end of the bumper. The inset trim piece is half body color and half chrome look.

I ordered a new one online $84. I expect it an a couple of days. I looks like it is a simple snap in, flexible trim piece.

Has anyone removed or replaced these trim pieces before? Are there any tips as to how to remove the damaged one without damaging the bumper cover? I assume the replacement trim piece will simply snap into place (assuming I remove the old one properly).

Thanks in advance for the tips.

And special thanks to the sweet little old lady who saw me in the parking lot swearing like a sailor. She asked me if I was OK, saw the damage and said 'I'd shoot the scumbag!' She then got into pimped out Honda Element and drove off.

I was stunned.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Talking Oh. No. She. Didn't.

Originally Posted by TampaRL
And special thanks to the sweet little old lady who saw me in the parking lot swearing like a sailor. She asked me if I was OK, saw the damage and said 'I'd shoot the scumbag!' She then got into pimped out Honda Element and drove off.

I was stunned.

I would have been swearing like a sailor, too, and I feel for your damage , but....my goodness, that part the little old lady was funny. I needed a good laugh today.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

I would have been swearing like a sailor, too, and I feel for your damage , but....my goodness, that part the little old lady was funny. I needed a good laugh today.
+1
Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tampa how did you end up fixing this? I have a similair problem just need to know how to remove the trim and put in new one
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tampa,

Sorry to hear about this.

This one could be a little tricky. You have 2 options.

Option 1:

Since you are replacing the trim piece you could pry out the old one with a very small flat screw driver and placing a cloth on the bumper to protect it. The trim piece has multiple click in pieces and one extension that slides in a grove at one end. The piece will be difficult to remove because your car has some age and will surely have some grit on the underside that finds it's way into all the cracks and crevises. This grit will be packed inthe openings where the click in pieces go through.

Option 2:

Remove the bumper. This allows you to access the click in pieces and push the wings inwards and push out relatively easily.

OK if I were you I would attempt the the pry out method with caution to protect the bumper. If things are difficult just remove the bumper. It is not hard and do not be afraid to pull it off. Simply read the service manual and you will be fine. Also take the opportunity while the bumper is off to clean everything that is now accesssible. I would also remove the tailpipes and give them a thurough cleaning.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
cwillz74 (01-30-2023)
Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevesrl
Tampa,

Sorry to hear about this.

This one could be a little tricky. You have 2 options.

Option 1:

Since you are replacing the trim piece you could pry out the old one with a very small flat screw driver and placing a cloth on the bumper to protect it. The trim piece has multiple click in pieces and one extension that slides in a grove at one end. The piece will be difficult to remove because your car has some age and will surely have some grit on the underside that finds it's way into all the cracks and crevises. This grit will be packed inthe openings where the click in pieces go through.

Option 2:

Remove the bumper. This allows you to access the click in pieces and push the wings inwards and push out relatively easily.

OK if I were you I would attempt the the pry out method with caution to protect the bumper. If things are difficult just remove the bumper. It is not hard and do not be afraid to pull it off. Simply read the service manual and you will be fine. Also take the opportunity while the bumper is off to clean everything that is now accesssible. I would also remove the tailpipes and give them a thurough cleaning.

Good luck.
Does this technique (Option 1) apply also to the corner trim pieces on/in the front bumper? The metallized polyester film is peeling from the black plastic piece that is embedded in the bumper. I would like to replace it but got an outrageous quote from the local dealer for both the part and the labor.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Just an FYI.... My original post and bumper trim damage was over 2 years ago!

I did order the part myself...the bumper corner trim pieces run $75 - $90 from several online OEM parts vendors.

I did not replace it myself after talking to my Acura Tech. As mentioned by Steve, there are backside wingnut type fasteners behind the bumper cover. What my tech was able to do (rear bumper corner in my case) was to pop the side bumper clips and losen the bumper cover enough to get his hand behind the cover and remove the fasteners. You cannot simply pop off the trim pieces. I would expect similar for the front bumper.

And since my Acura tech was doing other MID Maintenance on the RL at the time, he agreed to do the trim piece for me. It was another beer and burger payment plan.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if anyone has helms diagram/procedures for the front bumper protectors replacement, greatly appreciated. ordered a front for my uncle and want to see if i can replace on his RL.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Once you get the bumper off you can see exactly how they come out.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's a couple of crappy iPhone pictures of the clips if it helps:

Name:  299410d0.jpg
Views: 3966
Size:  66.7 KB

There are 12 of the plastic clips (two sets of 6 on the top and bottom edges), three of the metal clips along the centerline, and one little plastic tab that looks like it would be very easy to break at the end that goes into the rear quarterpanel (so to remove, start at the bumper end so as not to break off the tab).

LL

Last edited by lland; 02-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks guys. ordered replacement and the metal clips. found removal for the bumper, 2 edge screws, 6 top, 4 bottom clips.
Name:  2011-02-03_11-44-00.jpg
Views: 7427
Size:  54.6 KB
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy to change the bumper trim

You do not need to remove the bumper. All you need is a small flat head screw driver, towel, and needle nose pliers.

Take the towel, and wrap around your hand, start from the end of the trim on the side of the car, not the front. Insert the screw driver between the trim and bumper, and use your towel wrapped hand as leverage to lift the end of the trim up far enough to get the needle nose pliers in and grip the end of the trim. Once you have a grip, take the screw driver out, and pull the trim out hard and fast, it will pop the tabs out. There are no screws holding the trim in. Once you've pulled part of it out, take a grip, and pull the rest out. Do it hard and fast.

Next, take the new trim, insert the new trim starting from the front. The rest will snap in.
cwillz74 (01-30-2023)
Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well if you want to do it woth out taking the bumper off you just drill a few holes in it and use a tool and pull it out. Then no worries of scratch paint and whatnot.
cwillz74 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

Can anyone tell me how to find the part number for the rear bumper trim piece and any recommendation on where to purchase online? Thanks I appreciate it. It's for an '06 RL
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
PM this guy.

OEMAcuraPartsTim
butchko (01-22-2012)
Old 05-10-2014, 03:24 PM
5th Gear

I am sure you have already fixed your issue...the bumper strip pot out without any issue, no bumer removal. The lower chrome grill piece which also degrades over time also is an easy fix without removing the bumper, 15 minutes first time. Don't get over whelmed with these minor task as thay are just that, minor and easy.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 PM
5th Gear

Bumper trim and center lower grill trim replacement

Finshed the front bumper left and right side plus the lower center chrome piece in about 45 minutes, it is worth getting a nylon trim removal tool set ($20). Also just replaced the center console OEM crap with leather which I got off eBay for $32.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

Location: 3 years Albuquerque, formerly So. Calif, Sacramento, Akron, Buffalo, and hometown Niagara Falls
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones2074
I am sure you have already fixed your issue...the bumper strip pot out without any issue, no bumer removal. The lower chrome grill piece which also degrades over time also is an easy fix without removing the bumper, 15 minutes first time. Don't get over whelmed with these minor task as thay are just that, minor and easy.
Getting ready to start this procedure and this info was a big help
Old 05-30-2017, 02:29 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mrudolph007
Getting ready to start this procedure and this info was a big help
If its not too much trouble, could you document (take pictures)?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

Location: 3 years Albuquerque, formerly So. Calif, Sacramento, Akron, Buffalo, and hometown Niagara Falls
Originally Posted by Walfunk
Will do if I figure out how to transfer pics from my phone to my computer. Going to start with the Chrome piece under the front grill. I have it ordered and should be in next week. If I can manage to handle that job, I will work on the two pieces of trim on the front left and right.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Walfunk, I just finished replacing the chrome piece under the front grille. If this is the process you wanted pics for, let me know. I will post in the following thread since it seems a little more suited there. Alfadoctor's post helped me out the most.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...grille-785691/

I will be ordering the parts to complete the front bumper trim next.
Walfunk (06-11-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrudolph007
Walfunk, I just finished replacing the chrome piece under the front grille. If this is the process you wanted pics for, let me know. I will post in the following thread since it seems a little more suited there. Alfadoctor's post helped me out the most.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...grille-785691/

I will be ordering the parts to complete the front bumper trim next.
yes, very much so. I am going to replace both of my front chrome pieces soon. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

yes, very much so. I am going to replace both of my front chrome pieces soon. Thanks!
Here you go Walfunk, hope this helps, cannot tell how easy this was. If I did not stop to take the pics, off with old trim and on with the new would take a few minutes at the most.

pic 1. how it looked before removal

pic 2, Start with the end of the trim nearest the tire, I used a vinyl trim removal tool I bought from amazon. Sure you could use a screw driver covered with cloth.

pic 3,4 and 5, keep pulling the trim out as you move forward towards the front grille. This was so easy, could not believe it!!!!

pic 6 this is the old trim showing the hook which came out of the hole in the front by the grille

pic 7 new trim ready to be snapped in, showing the hook on the trim and hole it goes in.

pic 8 after you have put the hook into the hole, just snap the trim in place going from the front grille around to the tire. I felt like I was 7 years old again putting a model together.

pic 9 and 10, Done, what a difference it makes to the look of the front of the RL

The worst part of this whole procedure was waiting for the parts to arrive.

Sorry for the crappy pics, never was much of a photographer, might have to tilt your head a bit.

When I ordered the trim, I also ordered clips to go along with it. No need to order clips if you are getting the front trim pieces. Only one clip is needed and it comes with it, its used to snap the trim in by the tire and comes already attached to the trim. Not sure if you need clips for the rear. Sure someday I may find a need for them.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-old-trim.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-step-1-start-end-nearest-tire.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-work-around-towards-front-grill-pulling-out.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-working-forward-part-2.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-almost-off.jpg  

Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-old-trim-off-front-.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-new-trim-ready-install.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-stapping-.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-done-part-1.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-done-part-2.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by mrudolph007:
deepa1600 (08-21-2017), MrG4Life (08-18-2017), projektvertx (06-24-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
@mrudolph007 - Thanks for the instructions! That is how exactly how the chrome on my front bumper trim is looking at the moment. I received both new pieces and dropped them off to get wrapped with paint protection film and should be able to install them soon.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Racer

@MRG4LIFE: did you ever get the paint protection wrap? If so, how did it go?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Instructor

@MRG4LIFE: did you ever get the paint protection wrap? If so, how did it go?
I thought it would have been done this past weekend but the shop said that it needed more time for the wrap to cure after getting a late start on the work. They have done this work on my headlights and last year I had the lower chrome portion of the grille wrapped after I ordered it new. So far so good with that. I'll post a pic or two when I get the trim pieces back.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Instructor

I received my bumper trim pieces which were wrapped. It took less than 10 minutes to remove the old and install the new ones. Just like with my headlights and grill pieces which were also wrapped, I hope it provides the protection and makes them look like new for a long time.Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-img_2286.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-img_2281.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-img_2283.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-img_2285.jpg   Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-img_2284.jpg  

Replacing Rear Bumper Trim-img_2282.jpg  
projektvertx (08-31-2017)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

Trelle, I cannot respond to you private message, says you exceeded you limit, hopefully you see my response below

Hi Trelle, sorry to hear about your accident. Here is the link and https://www.acuraoemparts.com/ there are more locations out there, at the time, this was cheapest.
Below is a copy of my order, you need to make sure you order the piece in the color of your car. Really easy to install. If you need more help let me know, I can make sure you get the right color if you let me know your car color. These pieces are for the front. The right or left sides have different part numbers. Let me know how it goes. It will take about a week to get the piece.

Order Content

Part Number
Part Name
Price
Quantity
Total
71107-SJA-000ZG
PROTECTOR, L. FR. BUMPER *NH686M* (LAKESHORE SILVER METALLIC)
$102.08
$102.08
71102-SJA-000ZG
PROTECTOR, R. FR. BUMPER *NH686M* (LAKESHORE SILVER METALLIC)
$102.08
$102.08
Subtotal:
$204.16
Shipping (USPS - Priority):
$8.59
Total:
$212.75