Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Thread merged.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Got my recall notice yesterday. Have to say, the language in the notice basically says shrapnel could be coming at you when the airbag inflates. Called the dealer and he says it's really only southern states where the corrosion is an issue. Really? Is this confirmed? Am I driving a death trap? Letter says I could potentially be given a loaner, but dealer didn't offer that (I didn't push on it either) and frankly, I don't really want my car sitting for the next four months. Guess I'll just take my chances.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
Got my recall notice yesterday. Have to say, the language in the notice basically says shrapnel could be coming at you when the airbag inflates. Called the dealer and he says it's really only southern states where the corrosion is an issue. Really? Is this confirmed? Am I driving a death trap? Letter says I could potentially be given a loaner, but dealer didn't offer that (I didn't push on it either) and frankly, I don't really want my car sitting for the next four months. Guess I'll just take my chances.
i called couple dealers in area and asked for loaner and they outright said no.
so i called acura customer relations and they got in touch with dealer,
only to find out that you will be given long term econo box thru enterprise or hertz

i told them that's not acceptable as i'm not gonna be stuck in small econo box with no amenities. i asked i need minimum of fullsize car if premium can't be given and they said they can't do it.

so let me know if you have any other way around it to make it work.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by xc1097
only to find out that you will be given long term econo box thru enterprise or hertz

i told them that's not acceptable as i'm not gonna be stuck in small econo box with no amenities. i asked i need minimum of fullsize car if premium can't be given and they said they can't do it.

That's my understanding of what happens as well. It's Honda of America that's handling it, not the local dealers unfortunately...
Old 03-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman

Got mine yesterday as well
Old 03-28-2016, 03:55 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the alt. transportation work for Honda Dealers?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
Wow, there going to pay for a rental for that long? Guess the loaners can only be out for a short period of time. Did you ask if you could get a Acura loaner? Usually, they're all over giving loaners out, especially since your car is 10 years old. They like to give loaners out so they can try and get you to buy a new car when you return it. At least out here they do.

I think with a dealership and a rental company like Enterprise, it's whatever they get the cheapest. Although, I'm sure Acura has a discount with enterprise.
Yeah, I think they are going with Enterprise because it will be a long time - and they really loose in value if they give me a loaner. Service dept guy did tell me he will get a full size sedan, I am just hoping it is some kind of V6 instead of beater nissan altima 4cyl... Not only I despise Nissan (after my Altima 05 V6 experience) but I will try to avoid that rental in any way shape or form lol

Also, I think the charge for the rental will go against the Takata manufacturer because they're the ones caught red-handed ...

I am going in today and will keep you guys posted what I end up with, and for how long approximately will they anticipate parts not being available... last I heard was late summer 2016... so yeah - 5-6 months from now, sure why not lol
Old 03-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tla11384
Does the alt. transportation work for Honda Dealers?
Yes, same as for Acura from what I know.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I have pretty good rapport with BBB, and I do have patience so if they try to size me down to 500mpg four wheel joke, not happening for me to be quite honest. I cannot fit into one!!

Plus, if they would rather face a lawsuit if something happens to me, there will be all on the record...

My suggestion is to contact another dealer and try to figure out to get full-size... reason being is: dealer is not paying for it!!! Honda / Acura does, and after they pay it, Takata will have to reimburse them.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015
I have pretty good rapport with BBB, and I do have patience so if they try to size me down to 500mpg four wheel joke, not happening for me to be quite honest. I cannot fit into one!!

Plus, if they would rather face a lawsuit if something happens to me, there will be all on the record...

My suggestion is to contact another dealer and try to figure out to get full-size... reason being is: dealer is not paying for it!!! Honda / Acura does, and after they pay it, Takata will have to reimburse them.
contacted about 5 dealers in the area.
they all said same thing.
i even had acura customer relations call them for me while on conference call.
it just doesn't work.
let me know if you have any better luck
Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Got my Recall letter last week on Thursday, Set up appointment for Tuesday. Came into AutoNation Acura on Stevens Creek and was given this bad boy by Enterprise. Here in California they handled the recall pretty well.

Side note: I had to sign a document saying that I will store my vehicle and not drive it until the repairs are made. They also required me to take a picture of my odometer for reference.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wooodis:
djkurious (05-12-2016), oo7spy (03-30-2016), projektvertx (03-30-2016), rlx015 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM

So looks like my car is going to be added to the "do no drive" Honda shit list tomorrow as well. Enterprise is providing me with full size transportation until this whole issue gets squared away. I find out what the car is tomorrow, but they did tell me it's going to be comparable in size to what I currently have.

One side note, it seems what happens to your car is dealer dependent. The dealership that was initially supposed to handle the repair told me I'd have to leave my car on their property until it gets fixed. That's a non-starter for a lot of people, myself included. The dealership I'm going thru now offered to store it on their lot, or keep it in my garage with an exact mileage reading provided to them. I'm also signing the aforementioned document stating I can't drive the car until it gets fixed.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
So looks like my car is going to be added to the "do no drive" Honda shit list tomorrow as well. Enterprise is providing me with full size transportation until this whole issue gets squared away. I find out what the car is tomorrow, but they did tell me it's going to be comparable in size to what I currently have.

One side note, it seems what happens to your car is dealer dependent. The dealership that was initially supposed to handle the repair told me I'd have to leave my car on their property until it gets fixed. That's a non-starter for a lot of people, myself included. The dealership I'm going thru now offered to store it on their lot, or keep it in my garage with an exact mileage reading provided to them. I'm also signing the aforementioned document stating I can't drive the car until it gets fixed.

But it's a bit child-play from them to make sure one is not using the other car, let alone store it in their location!

A letter of exoneration of liability should suffice.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RL09

But it's a bit child-play from them to make sure one is not using the other car, let alone store it in their location!

A letter of exoneration of liability should suffice.
Exactly. I'm signing a legally binding document and providing them with mileage. I don't see why I HAVE to store it on their property to be honest... Luckily I don't have to
Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Wait you guys are already getting rental cars for the recall that isn't suppose to take place until summer?!? I just got a call yesterday from the dealer telling me about it, I flat out told him I want something nice, no econo box for me. Get me the new Charger, atleast here in Texas Enterprise has the R/T Chargers :P
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 PM

Yessir. Now dealers have the authority to hand out rentals. I didn't even know the R/Ts made it to rental fleeta lol
Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Pro

Yessir. Now dealers have the authority to hand out rentals. I didn't even know the R/Ts made it to rental fleeta lol
I don't know if I could go a couple months with just letting my car sit lol

and yep Enterprise started doing it when Avis/Budget and Hertz started doing it to compete. Hertz has been doing it for quite some time, they rent out the best trim levels, so if you rent a Mustang you actually have a choice between the v6, Ecoboost, and GT, same with the Camaro and Challenger.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JJones91
I don't know if I could go a couple months with just letting my car sit lol

and yep Enterprise started doing it when Avis/Budget and Hertz started doing it to compete. Hertz has been doing it for quite some time, they rent out the best trim levels, so if you rent a Mustang you actually have a choice between the v6, Ecoboost, and GT, same with the Camaro and Challenger.
I have the impression I'll feel the same way in a couple of months.

Damn, I need to move to Texas lol.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Pro

With me that means not being able to wash my car since I live at an apartment complex and I'd absolutely hate letting my car sit for several months collecting dirt from sitting out for so long, pollen here is real bad.
Although driving a new Charger R/T is so very tempting lol.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by JJones91
With me that means not being able to wash my car since I live at an apartment complex and I'd absolutely hate letting my car sit for several months collecting dirt from sitting out for so long, pollen here is real bad.
Although driving a new Charger R/T is so very tempting lol.
Spray-On Car Wash - Griot's Garage
Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Still requires you to wipe off the dirt, that stuff just makes it easier to wipe off, in theory you'll be wiping your car with the dirt that you just wiped off which will end in dirt streaks and scratches
Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if i didnt receive the letter since im a new owner can i just go to any dealership and get a loaner how does that work?? Never dealt with a recall before and also Cali here would be nice to postpone the timing belt job i have to do soon..
Old 03-30-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by billzblaze
So if i didnt receive the letter since im a new owner can i just go to any dealership and get a loaner how does that work?? Never dealt with a recall before and also Cali here would be nice to postpone the timing belt job i have to do soon..
you bought a used car so you'd have to register at a dealership, and Acura will send you a letter.

If your car is affected, of course.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

In Texas, makers pull the model owners from state registration records. I got the Takata recall notice for my Tundra last fall, and I bought it from a random used lot. I've never been to a Toyota dealership except to try to buy a propeller shaft yolk nut. (It was "special order". )

That said, if the maker has already tried to find the owner of that car, and the car was in sales limbo, they may not go looking again. Definitely call a dealer.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

you bought a used car so you'd have to register at a dealership, and Acura will send you a letter.

If your car is affected, of course.
Ok thanks i should be fine then as previous owner had the car serviced at a local dealer its whole life. Just gonna give em a buzz..
Old 03-31-2016, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, same as for Acura from what I know.
Called acura relation and they said that a manager will have to get in touch with my local Honda dealer to authorize the repair and see if they can offer me a loaner. When I called the Honda dealer direct they told me that I would have to go through acura for alt transportation. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

This is definitely serious check this out nobody wants to end up like this dude RIP..Reported Takata Airbag Bomb Victims - Motoring World International Shocking warned!!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

contacted about 5 dealers in the area.
they all said same thing.
i even had acura customer relations call them for me while on conference call.
it just doesn't work.
let me know if you have any better luck
Reporting back after I got the rental vehicle.
After dropping off my car, service dept tech did the paperwork and called Enterprise over to pick me up. His paperwork did list "Full-size sedan rental" verbiage which I've seen.
Enterprise picked me up in 10 minutes, and brought over to their loc to assign / issue car. One of the lead guys there said I quote "I have Corolla coming in in the next few minutes, but if you want Jeep Cherokee I can get you all set now" ... I opted out getting Jeep Cherokee (2015) and so far have been getting 26mpg on highway.

I guess I was lucky that this specific dealer (northern IL) did not hesitate to facilitate rentals from local Enterprise office for all Acura owners. If you search there is a pdf letter on the forum that lists what are the instructions to all dealer staff in regards to the recall and getting rentals and how to handle everything.

From speaking to another tech he said their instructions spell out to arrange "midsize" which Corolla, Focus, Sentra, etc. would fall in...

Hopefully they get you something good man... Good luck!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wooodis
Got my Recall letter last week on Thursday, Set up appointment for Tuesday. Came into AutoNation Acura on Stevens Creek and was given this bad boy by Enterprise. Here in California they handled the recall pretty well.

Side note: I had to sign a document saying that I will store my vehicle and not drive it until the repairs are made. They also required me to take a picture of my odometer for reference.
NICE! I was hoping to get it but ended up getting Jeep Cherokee (4x4)...
I actually rented Charger in Fall 2015 for New England road-trip and it was really nice how it behaved on 3000 miles trip. Gas mileage I got was 34mpg avg (during that trip) and I did not really baby gas pedal... pretty nice!
However, I would rather take my RL on road-trips if manageable
Old 03-31-2016, 05:09 PM

Reporting back after I got the rental vehicle.
After dropping off my car, service dept tech did the paperwork and called Enterprise over to pick me up. His paperwork did list "Full-size sedan rental" verbiage which I've seen.
Enterprise picked me up in 10 minutes, and brought over to their loc to assign / issue car. One of the lead guys there said I quote "I have Corolla coming in in the next few minutes, but if you want Jeep Cherokee I can get you all set now" ... I opted out getting Jeep Cherokee (2015) and so far have been getting 26mpg on highway.

I guess I was lucky that this specific dealer (northern IL) did not hesitate to facilitate rentals from local Enterprise office for all Acura owners. If you search there is a pdf letter on the forum that lists what are the instructions to all dealer staff in regards to the recall and getting rentals and how to handle everything.

From speaking to another tech he said their instructions spell out to arrange "midsize" which Corolla, Focus, Sentra, etc. would fall in...

Hopefully they get you something good man... Good luck!
Do you mind sharing the dealership? Pauly Acura/Enterprise put me in a full size, which is 200 Sport until they can get my special request of the old body impala which is still rented out.

On the plus side: FREE CAR. YAY!!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you mind sharing the dealership? Pauly Acura/Enterprise put me in a full size, which is 200 Sport until they can get my special request of the old body impala which is still rented out.

On the plus side: FREE CAR. YAY!!
Pauly Acura in Highland Park and local Enterprise
projektvertx (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Pauly Acura in Highland Park and local Enterprise
Nice! Who handled your case at Pauly, was it Kevin? I find it weird they gave you a midsize and me a full size. I was gonna go with Acura Libertyville since I normally deal with them, but they wanted the car on their property....
Old 04-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Rental car?

I got the recall notice in the mail earlier this week. Stopped into my favorite dealer and the person handling it said they can arrange a covered Hertz rental until the parts are available and replaced with the car sitting in my driveway until then.
I'm considering this option but, I can't imagine the replacement to be of the same quality as my '12 RL. I'm not interested in some Chevy Volt or Hyundai Elantra
Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Walked away with a 2016 Impala, which is not bad on the inside, but obviously not RL status. Took about 10 dealerships to find a car, as they are stacked with Recall replacement requests. I can go and trade it in at anytime for something else, just need to call ahead (I requested something nicer or an SUV). From a dollar perspective, the dealership could fund $46.90 / day for a car, which is on the upper end. Hope that helps!
rlx015 (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice! Who handled your case at Pauly, was it Kevin? I find it weird they gave you a midsize and me a full size. I was gonna go with Acura Libertyville since I normally deal with them, but they wanted the car on their property....
It was Jim, and I have to say paperwork did state full size car on it... but when I got to Enterprise manager there (Michael) said if I wanted cherokee now, I can have it or I could wait for Corolla which was coming back because they were out of full size ... so I think they would have given me full size if there was one... instead I opted out for Cherokee.

I do drive mostly on highway, so I am getting 27-30mpg steady of 70mph/cruise driving - not bad... well much better than my RL - that gets 20-21 at its best on hwy lol
projektvertx (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by badbusinessman
Walked away with a 2016 Impala, which is not bad on the inside, but obviously not RL status. Took about 10 dealerships to find a car, as they are stacked with Recall replacement requests. I can go and trade it in at anytime for something else, just need to call ahead (I requested something nicer or an SUV). From a dollar perspective, the dealership could fund $46.90 / day for a car, which is on the upper end. Hope that helps!
Impala '16 is definitely their "premium" class... I guess whatever dealer has been using in the past, is working this time too ...

Nice one!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I had a new Impala when I flew to get my RL in AL. My initial impression was impressed, but I learned its beauty was only skin deep. By the end of the drive from Birmingham to Montgomery, my ass was numb. Pretty sure they padded the leather seats with cardboard.
djkurious (05-12-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Freakin dealer will give me an enterprise "discount" car all while keeping my car in their lot!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Freakin dealer will give me an enterprise "discount" car all while keeping my car in their lot!
I'd call Acura directly, screw that dealer
Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
I'd call Acura directly, screw that dealer
I gonna try that.

Quick Reply: Recall time