Rear Rattle / ticking noise Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Rear Rattle / ticking noise Help!

Hey y'all,

I've had my RL for over a year now and about 2 months ago, this a rattle, ticking, tapping noise appeared. I've been trying to find out what's causing it for 2 months now and I can't figure it out.

Issue:
Rattle, ticking, tapping noise around the right rear quarter panel ( rear side airbag and the rear shelf)
It occurs randomly, sometimes the noise will be there for days, no matter if I'm driving at night or day, smooth or bumpy roads, it still makes the noise and sometimes it's completely quiet.
Here's a recording of the noise

Research on RL search:
- Tighten the screw for the rear brakes... nope
- It's not the sunshade rattle

Thing's I've done,
Took out the rear seats, tore apart the trunk area.. added padding to everything that would make a similar noise when i tapped on it.

Nothing's worked.. It's soo frustrating because the noise is constant and louder than what the video protrays. It's to a point where I'll probably sell the car if I can't get it fixed, I love the car but it's driving me nuts.

If you can help me find the problem, I'll send you a check $$$

Last edited by twiz03; 05-19-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM
BSQ
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think your sound might be the parking brake rattling. Check out this thread for further information --> https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-sound-956649/

Hopefully it helps solve the rattle.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSQ
I think your sound might be the parking brake rattling. Check out this thread for further information --> https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-sound-956649/

Hopefully it helps solve the rattle.

I've tried that one already. Didn't work.

thanks for the input though!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I couldn't really catch the rattle in question, maybe it's my laptop speakers.... Don't take this the wrong way, but I would start by taking out all the papers/bottles/stuff in the car that would help eliminate any confounding noise generated by that stuff.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I couldn't really catch the rattle in question, maybe it's my laptop speakers.... Don't take this the wrong way, but I would start by taking out all the papers/bottles/stuff in the car that would help eliminate any confounding noise generated by that stuff.

haha, no offense taken. That was actually the first thing i did. Cleaning out the car and that didn't work.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Maybe a blown shock and the spring is just rattling around..
Old 05-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Check all of the wheel well and underbody splash guards to see if a clip or two fell out. Had that on my old civic in the front and it made a noise similar to that at certain speeds.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Did you check your rear sway bar? When I lowered my car one of the bolts snapped and I heard a rattle/tick noise.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by grappler171
Check all of the wheel well and underbody splash guards to see if a clip or two fell out. Had that on my old civic in the front and it made a noise similar to that at certain speeds.
Makes the noise at any speed.. put I'll bring the car to the mechanic shop and have it raised to check underneath.

Thank you
Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, I have the same sounds emitting from the rear around both doors.
So sprayed silicone lube in and around all creases and in the door where the window shades roll down.
I do this around this time every year because these noise do not fail to return.
There always a loud cracking sound coming from the bottom of the driver's door, apply clear silicone lube and it goes away.
My dealer is very good but unable to fix these noises and squeaks.
Mind you my 05 RL never had any of these problems, and the 2011 does.
I believe Acura lost quality control since the RL was being deleted in production.
I don't think I will get another Acura after this, perhaps a Civic Coupe.