Rattles, Squeaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles, Squeaks and rattles

I'm a little disappointed with the squeaks, rattles and noises associated with my RL. Being a "flagship luxury vehicle", I would expect more from Acura. I had the vehicle back to the Dealer three times. They have preformed the service bulletin pertaining to the noises, only to find out that they keep reoccurring with different temperatures and road conditions. The most annoying is by far the console and the right side of the dash. I love my RL, everything else is just what I expected from Acura. Plus more. Has anyone had any of these issues and had them resolved ?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbell71
I'm a little disappointed with the squeaks, rattles and noises associated with my RL. Being a "flagship luxury vehicle", I would expect more from Acura. I had the vehicle back to the Dealer three times. They have preformed the service bulletin pertaining to the noises, only to find out that they keep reoccurring with different temperatures and road conditions. The most annoying is by far the console and the right side of the dash. I love my RL, everything else is just what I expected from Acura. Plus more. Has anyone had any of these issues and had them resolved ?

Welcome to the forum! There is a post ongoing right now about the creaking at the center console just in front of the shifter. Here is the link
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I guess I will consider myself lucky in having no rattles except when traversing a dirt road in rural North Carolina (the nav system showed a dotted line and gave us the unverified route message), and we jarred our teeth out for about 1000 yards until we got to the paved road we were supposed to be on. The look of the fellow sitting in front of his single wide with a beer and cigarette as we drove by was priceless. He was probably thinking what a bunch of city idiots we were driving by on his dirt road in a black car kicking up a trail of dust. The rattle was dead center from the radio console area. Never heard it again (but we have never been on such a rough road again either).

The only other rattle I have heard was a few seconds of a rapid ticking sound from the drivers B pillar, much like NavyDoc described. Heard it once, and never again. Maybe that is because I always have the sound system on.

06 RL NBP
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I guess I will consider myself lucky in having no rattles except when traversing a dirt road in rural North Carolina ...
CHAS!!! NO BAJA'ing in the RL!

Next time you show up to a Monster Truck Ralley, I am having your RL towed (on a flatbed of course).

For my RL, after having my center console squeak excorcised and felt added to the rear sun shade cradle, it remains rattleless. For nearly 2 years old and Tampa's Roads of Destruction, I am very, very pleased with the build quality of this car.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Well for me it has really only been one rattle and one annoying one at that. After having my Aspec suspension put in, I would have a "ticking" sound come from the back window, it would "tick" every time I would hit a bump, pothole, or anything uneven in the street. I had the RL in the show two times and the issue was resolved, now my car is rattle free !
Old 04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Racer

hmm. I have that tick on my rear window, but I thought that was related to the rear window sunshade. My shade ticks so badly, and my dealer has never been able to fix it..
Old 04-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
CHAS!!! NO BAJA'ing in the RL!

Next time you show up to a Monster Truck Ralley, I am having your RL towed (on a flatbed of course).

For my RL, after having my center console squeak excorcised and felt added to the rear sun shade cradle, it remains rattleless. For nearly 2 years old and Tampa's Roads of Destruction, I am very, very pleased with the build quality of this car.
Great comment. I finally saw this after two weeks of not visiting this thread! Now I understand the other comment you made when neuronbob told us he got his S2K!

Yea, no more Baja'ing!
Old 04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I am very thankful that I have only moonroof squeaking (fixed with silicone grease) and a rattle from the center console on Cleveland's rough roads, when it's cold. Build quality great here!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Pro

17,00 miles and super quiet, love the car.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
25K rattle free miles!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 AM
10th Gear

I've had numerous rattles and squeaks in my 05 RL. It was the worst new car experience I've had, and was especially disappointing since I thought I bought a premium car from a premium car brand. It took the dealer over 2 years to get rid of them all - they'd stop one squeak and a week later another one would appear. It was a miserable experience, but I think/hope it is finally behind me.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 AM
'06 RL

My 05 RL was a horrible rattle-trap. It was rattling in the driver's a-pillar and b-pillar something fierce when I drove it off the dealer's lot, and I told them about it immediately -- they just said bring it in they'd fix it. Stupidly I took them at their word.

Thus began a horrible odyssey -- it was in the dealer no less than 6 times for the same problem, and of course every time the dealer took the dash apart they either broke something or created another rattle.... they had to replace the headliner twice because they broke it during install/reinstall, and they kept forgetting to screw the dashboard back together right.

Finally, with over 30 days lost use of the car with it at the dealer for noise problems, the dealer claimed there was some sort of defective weld in the sunroof carrier (sounded like horse hockey to me) and they offered, with ACS's blessing, to replace the 05 with an 06.

I took them up on the offer and the car has been (*knock plood*) rattle free for 2 years.

Of course, now the dealer can't fix the steering wheel, but there it is. At least it ain't rattling.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro

More reasons why first year out is not the way to go, we have heard many stories about 05's but not after than.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
33k miles and zero squeaks and rattles, and the car has seen an number of dirt roads in it's day. The car could be a little queiter and the ride better, but that will change as soon as I replace the GARBAGE Michelin OEMs.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Exclamation Same Rear Window Rattle

Originally Posted by gcook
hmm. I have that tick on my rear window, but I thought that was related to the rear window sunshade. My shade ticks so badly, and my dealer has never been able to fix it..
I have that noise in the rear window too and initially though it was the rear window shade as well. Could it be the window itself as if it was not sitting in quite properly in its frame?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
My 05 RL was a horrible rattle-trap. It was rattling in the driver's a-pillar and b-pillar something fierce when I drove it off the dealer's lot, and I told them about it immediately -- they just said bring it in they'd fix it. Stupidly I took them at their word.

Thus began a horrible odyssey -- it was in the dealer no less than 6 times for the same problem, and of course every time the dealer took the dash apart they either broke something or created another rattle.... they had to replace the headliner twice because they broke it during install/reinstall, and they kept forgetting to screw the dashboard back together right.

Finally, with over 30 days lost use of the car with it at the dealer for noise problems, the dealer claimed there was some sort of defective weld in the sunroof carrier (sounded like horse hockey to me) and they offered, with ACS's blessing, to replace the 05 with an 06.

I took them up on the offer and the car has been (*knock plood*) rattle free for 2 years.

Of course, now the dealer can't fix the steering wheel, but there it is. At least it ain't rattling.
My 06 is MUCH quieter than my old 05. My only real annoynace right now is the rattling cowl trim (plastic peiece at the top part of the hood where it meets the windshield). The dealer has agreed to replace it at my next appointment so hopefully it will be gone.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Racer

I only get the rattle when my rear window shade is up. I used to get it when it was down, but the dealer was able to fix it. It had to do with the rear shade cabinet, or whatever you call it. I think the rear window shade is a real f'in pain.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sylvain
I have that noise in the rear window too and initially though it was the rear window shade as well. Could it be the window itself as if it was not sitting in quite properly in its frame?
It is actually the parcel shelf beyond the sunshade (or at least was on my car, 08 RL).

Tap it with your hand and see if it replicates the sound.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Arrow Yep, Rear Panel it Was

Originally Posted by fstshrk
It is actually the parcel shelf beyond the sunshade (or at least was on my car, 08 RL). Tap it with your hand and see if it replicates the sound.
Yes, you were right! I ended up in the back seat one day as my wife and daughter were in the front and was able to "investigate" the issue. I pushed on the shelf beyond the sunshade (the part in between the sunshade and the rear window) and the noise stopped. I actually pulled that pannel to take it out of the hooks and left it as is and currently have no noise. I'll have to have the dealer re-set the panel into its hooks with felt (or whatever) as a permanent solution. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvain
Yes, you were right! I ended up in the back seat one day as my wife and daughter were in the front and was able to "investigate" the issue. I pushed on the shelf beyond the sunshade (the part in between the sunshade and the rear window) and the noise stopped. I actually pulled that pannel to take it out of the hooks and left it as is and currently have no noise. I'll have to have the dealer re-set the panel into its hooks with felt (or whatever) as a permanent solution. Thanks for the tip.
I had the same issue. Dealer fix was to inject some sort of foam "around in there" and that resolved it.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Arrow Foam Injection

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I had the same issue. Dealer fix was to inject some sort of foam "around in there" and that resolved it.
Inject foam. Interesting. Thanks for the info, it reassures me to see that it is fixable...
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my center console/shifter area creaks like crazy when the car moves or starts to move. I know exactly how to fix it but haven't gotten the time....

My RL makes more noises than my previous modded 2000 TL
Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor

11,000 miles and no rattles. Will see if that changes after I have the A spec suspension
installed next week!