Purchasing Honda Legend, need some info

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing Honda Legend, need some info

Hello all.

I'm from Serbia, a third world country..
Currently I have some flat that I have inherited from my grandmother, and after selling it, I'll definitely buy Honda Legend KB1..

We had here only one option to buy, and it's all equipment it costed 75.000euros, second hand it's 1/7 of that price, cause registration is 2000euros peer year cause of 3500cc. :S So owners has to sell them cheap and get rid off high payments..
Paycheck here is averaging about 350euros a month, so you understand how expensive it is to us..

Since there are only few legends sold in this country, 4 of them being in adds for sale, it's quite a big number.

I have few dilemmas, there are many differences in equipment packages in UKDM, JDM, USDM and EUDM, I'm little confused, do I import one from like Germany as they had different equipment, or to buy cheaper one that is in country.

I have never saw open door image on bottom of the speedometer, there should be a blue screen with SH-AWD and other info?
Where is the heck a Odometer info on how many miles did the car go over?
why is ACC lighting up, and why on that position?

Why does this car (it's being sold by main import dealer for Honda for our country) has parking sensor that is visible on bumpers? Every Legend sold in Serbia has parking sensors, but only this one has one that is visible, and button like shaped, on the bumper..any info on that?

Can you link me to threads what do I need to look in second hand Legend, what can break, what can be damaged, what is critical..
Also I can't find a thread on USDM, EUDM, UKDM and JDM Legend differences, and I read in one thread on forum that it exists..can someone give me a link to it?

I have been reading this forum for over 1 month, looked at your cars, gathering info, and some knowledge on KB1, before posting.

Forum is great, the most active one on KB1 topic.
I think I can get answer to all of my unanswered questions here.

Thank you guys in advance.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
It looks to me like the cluster is lit up like normal before the ignition is started. The door light is normal and is part of the blue screen you are looking for. This same screen will show the odometer and tripmeter if you press the buttons on the wheel. You should always inspect that all warning lights illuminate just before start up and most should go away after start up.

The bumper sensors are available in US as an aftermarket accessory. That appears to be what is on that car.

I don't think we have a consolidated list of market differences. We have documented quite a few, but they are scattered all over. Maybe this thread can bring them all together.

As for potential issues, the list is longest for 2005 models and gets shorter as the model year goes up.

If you are asking about buying a 70k whatever car on a 350 whatever/month salary, the answer is "no". Otherwise, I don't understand your question.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I think he says the car is 70K new, but 1/7 (10K) used, and has money from sale of flat to buy.
That said, perhaps inherited money is best spent on other things with 350/mo salary.
Although we were all young once
Old 08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
10th Gear

I'm engineer, I have twice average salary as starting salary (no wife, no children, still living with parents), so I can do maintenance, to pay registration and full insurance, to do some upgrades here and there, but with my starting salary I can buy Legend in 3 years, if I save like crazy. so inheritance money is best to buy car I want, without Credit or Lease..

Yes it's 9-12k (12-16 in $) for Legend from 2007, 14k (18.5k in $) for one from 2008 (this one is no-no it has LPG in it, and it wasn't installed properly, doesn't have added lubrication for valve seats), so only 2007 is option, all are around 84.000miles on odometer, all same equipment, more or less as all EUDM:

Navigation
Xenon headlights as standard with washers
Rain sensors
Parking sensors
Heated and cooled seats
White corner cat-eye/turns-signal in headlight
some have back fog lights above license plate inside chrome trim
and so on, but nothing impressive or different than in RL that is needed to be mentioned..

dunno yet about led for back passengers (under front seats), or light in doorknobs..

we have to start car with key like in 90's and we have straight line path for gear selector, like I heard JDM has..

So can someone point me out what to look for what is something that goes wrong on almost every Legend? or is it stable like every Honda?

I currently drive Acura Integra DA9 1990 with full equipment except leather seats, great car, done over 600.000km ~375.000miles, just had done overhaul of engine, transmission is from CRX B16A2 with shorter gear ratio..
It's 1 of 5 in Serbia, and finding parts is tough cause that Integra was never imported to EUDM, I don't exist in catalogs, have to import parts, or find similar one, all suspension components are from CRX/Civic 1990, front brakes from Prelude 1990, Engine is similar to B16A1, B18 from Accord, and B20A5-A6 from Prelude.. I need to do all of the bodywork, and to reupholster all of interior to bring it to somewhat good condition, but it'll cost, so I need a normal car, to drive every day to job, and to vacations, and to rebuild Integra into track car with V-tec, and Turbo, and so on.

Almost forgot to mention, Legend cost same as Accord, cause Accord is 2.0 and registration is 250euros, and for 3.5 is 1970euros both 2007..so more people can afford to drive it, and insurance is also about 5 times cheaper than for Legend..and Accord was not sold in our market with DVD, previous generation was, but 2007 model had everything (I think) without DVD, my buddy bought it new and requested DVD to be imported and put in by Honda people inside warranty, regardless the costs, but they sad no..
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

2007 US RLs are very solid. There is no common issue except for the brake line recall in the early models. Good luck. Post pictures.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
You've inherited a flat and you want to sell it to buy a car?

Can you not let the flat out for rent and let it appreciate in value? A car is a waste of money at best.

If I had inherited a property...

Still, it's your choice.

Here's a link to a manual to tell you how everything works:

http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/a...wners-manuals/

I haven't found one for the Legend, as yet.

All I can say is the ones without LKAS & CMBS have hydraulic steering, which gives better feel than the EPS.

Anyway - good luck finding a decent car.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM
10th Gear

Flats are cheep here..
Rent is too..150-200euros a month..and the people are bad, they always trash the apartment.. :S I can get same money from bank interests if I put my money after selling the flat in the bank..
So best idea that worked for me is to sell the flat, buy the Legend, put rest in bank to make me more money. and to work to get back the money I spent on car, and to enjoy.

Credit interests are enormous on 10k loan in 5 years I have to give back 15k to bank, so 5k given away to stupid bank..

I know car is money pit, I have been restoring Integra from scrap metal..still looks like s***, and I have invested about 5k euros, and 2k that I paid for it 7k in 1990 Integra, I just might post the pictures and open up my theme in Integra section just to show you how bad it was, and how bad it is now. but I'm huge Honda fan, and it will always be H or A on my hood, and under the hood. I only owned I Hondas in my life, and I only enjoy riding them..and I haven't regret 1 penny I gave for my cars..

Don't be concerned that the car won't get the right treatment, it will. money is not the biggest issue as I am a little above average settled (for now).. biggest issue is not to buy again a car and then to fix everything previous owner has ruined, and didn't fix, that costed me the most on every of my cars, so: sophisticated car, driven by people who have money, at least 15years younger than any of my previous car, with real 84k miles on odometer, I can drive it for 10 years till it hit 200.000 miles and become "old"...

Thanks for all info, hope that soon I'll open my Legend team and start enjoying one, and upgrading it..
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Sounds like you've thought it through properly and yes tenants can be very bad.

Do bear in mind with money in the bank, Governments devalue the currency to that the interest received doesn't cover the loss of value they've stolen from your capital by inflation!

That's why the Elite/Oligarchs have property/gold/investments, which seem to go up on price as the currencies all get weaker.

Anyway, that's enough economics and yes, the idea of buying the best car you can instead of a wreck makes sense.

Please bear in mind that the Legend has a lot of complicated electronics on it - if it does go wrong, it could get very expensive.

Not as bad as a Mercedes-Benz, where older ones always seem to be going wrong!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
To see the odometer mileage, push the center button on the right side of the steering wheel several times in a row. The mileage should show up in the display just below the speedometer.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tech-HCS
Hello all.

I'm from Serbia, a third world country...
My favorite part of this entire thread.