08 RL No Turn Signal, No AFS, No Wipers, No Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 RL No Turn Signal, No AFS, No Wipers, No Key Fobs

Hello forum members! Long time reader, first time posting. I have a doozy here on my 08 RL. My AFS light blinks after I hit some rumble strips. Yeah there's a bunch of threads about fixing that but here's the laundry list of other items that do not work:

*No turn signals (my biggest issue)
*Wipers ONLY work on high – no intermittent settings will work or wiper fluid come out using the stalk (second biggest issue)
*No A/C (does not blow cold air). The console buttons all work, it just seems like it wont make the call to kick the compressor on or something.

*Daytime running lamps do not turn off when the HIDs are on
*The keyfobs do not work. I have to use the key in the fob to manually unlock the car
*Occasionally when you turn the car off, the alarm (horn) will come on
*The power door locks do not work inside the car
*No AFS (I could care less aside from the annoying light)

Things attempted to rectify the issue:
*New Acura battery from the $tealership
*Checked fuses
*New multiplex control unit installed at the $tealership

After the multiplex control unit was replaced, everything worked for about 2 weeks and then poof – all the symptoms came back one morning. I took it back to the $tealership and now they want to replace all the engine wiring harnesses at the tune of about 3k PLUS labor. Any ideas out there? Anything is appreciated before I take it to some automobile wiring place that I found.

Thanks!
Gabe
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts

That is a cluster of fucks. I don't even know where you would really begin (besides what you have already done) other than a Honda/Acura HDS tool. Did the car throw any codes? Surely it did. Almost sounds like something fucked up your wiring harness. What are the chances of water damage? The sunroof drain pipe runs down one of the a-pillars (forget which one), and when it clogs, it ends up draining into the car.

That sucks, man. Good luck. Don't rule out having the dealer fix it. If they replace the same parts and it keeps failing, you have a case for a lemon buy back.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question, how long have you had this car?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
7th Gear

Ive had it since it was new, so over 5 years. I bought an extended warranty for it which I have exercised several times here recently but it does not cover wiring harnesses. It was raining/sleeting the day everything started, so maybe the rumble strips weren't the cause. I suppose water damage is possible, I plan to rip into it today more so I'll check out those drains before I take it to that wiring place. Im beginning to wonder since I dont have turn signals and wipers dont work properly if I can file an insurance claim as a safety issue to fix it. I don't mind spending money on it but I want to know the money is going to fix it. Thanks for the replies all!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
I would pull the MCU and look for signs of moisture and do your own water test around the area
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
7th Gear

Just a follow on -- I just repulled every fuse to check and everything looks good.

The last time I took it in after the MCU was replaced, the tech put this on the invoice:

Pulled codes B1011, B1013, B1014, B1015, B1005, B1007, and B1016 all for lost communication with all the control modules on the B-CAN system. He called the techline and they *THINK* it could be a problem with the underhood relay control module. The tech disconnected this relay unit unit and 'the car still has the same problem. There may be a wiring problem somewhere in the dash or under hood.' I will look on here on how to pull the MCU as HeavyRL suggested and then report back. Unless anyone has any other thoughts, I will take it to this automotive wiring place tomorrow or Tuesday and see what they have to say. They focus on luxury cars (BigMoneyWastes, MoreBucks, and Acuras) so hopefully they will have have some insight on this issue. The $tealership has gotten enough money as of late!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
unless your car has been in an accident or rodents got in it I find it hard to believe it the harness...
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
7th Gear

Ok so after several weeks at an auto electrical expert shop, there is no current passing beyond the multiplex unit in my RL so either the one installed at the dealer went bad after two weeks or they never replaced it and just charged me for it. There was no sign of water damage and they inspected wiring harnesses though out the engine and dash for signs of chaffing, cuts, links, extraneous bends, and looseness. The shop also mentioned that if it were chaffing of grounding out there would be fuses blown most likely before the multiplex unit fried. Perhaps the 7 year old at the sweat shop factory in China had a bad soldering day.

So, I guess back to the dealer to fight the uphill battle for replacing the part under warranty since it is good for a year. So to be clear, the multiplex unit is built into the drivers side fuse box (38200-SJA-a04) or is it the door unit driver (38860-SJA-a03) in case they don't want to honor fixing it? Thanks all!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Since you were at the dealer, that should be an easy win. Don't let them give you too much shit. If they do, stop and call Acura Customer Care.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 PM
7th Gear

Appointment set for Tuesday AM at Park Acura, we will see what they have to say. Anyone have any experience with the folks at Park Acura in Akron, Ohio?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

We have regional boards too if you are truly curious.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Sounds like a PITA having to deal w/ all that. Goodluck on the fix, hopefully the dealer will sort it all out. Keep us updated on how things go.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM
7th Gear

So looks like the stealership found the issue. After replacing the MICU unit again, the HDS had connection to it but other systems were failing. Somehow they traced it back to some XM controller module after they ripped the back seat out that was getting 12v constantly. Once they disconnected that, poof...all the issues went away, once reconnected, it comes back. I guess they are trying to get to the bottom of why this is occurring. 12th of the value of the car spent so far to fix it, but I like my RL better than this 14 TL SH-AWD and better than the RLX I got as a loaner before, so still worth it. The stealership is working with me on pricing, so hopefully this will be buttoned up soon! Thanks for all the suggestions and posts!
The following users liked this post:
not_a_doctor (07-29-2022)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

That is a known issue that Acura has acknowledged. Search here for it as there was a TSB or service bulletin. IMO, you have a case with Acura Corporate for some reimbursement.

IIRC, it affected other models too around 2005. I think it was the MDX.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 AM
7th Gear

I wanted to finish up the thread, I hate seeing a post without the final result! So, negotiated 7 hrs shop labor down from 20. Aside from the fried micu, they traced the constant 12v down to two wires that had something to do with the xm module but it was originating in a harness under the driver side seat at the tune of $289 for the part. All done, fixed! A grand lighter in the wallet, but happy to have her back!
The following 2 users liked this post by jeepwjls:
oo7spy (04-17-2014), TonyCD (01-02-2022)
Old 04-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi Jeepwljs! Ty for giving me an idea of what may be my issue. I seem to have all the same electrical failures as you, however I checked every fuse and zero are blown. I wonder if I have the same short under my driver seat as you. I’m contacting a dealer today and I’ll see if I can explain what I think the issue is to save them time with diagnostics. Wonder if the Honda dealer by me would be ok or if I should drive the 1.5 hours to the nearest Acura dealer. I will update when I know more.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well wouldn’t you know it, they started it up the next morning and every system worked fine. They did pull 3 pages of codes, but they cleared them and drove it for 25 miles and restarted it a few times and nothing. Kind of good news, but I’m sure that whatever caused it is still waiting to pop up at anytime. They are keeping it overnight and tomorrow to see if it will pop up.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grappler171
Well wouldn’t you know it, they started it up the next morning and every system worked fine. They did pull 3 pages of codes, but they cleared them and drove it for 25 miles and restarted it a few times and nothing. Kind of good news, but I’m sure that whatever caused it is still waiting to pop up at anytime. They are keeping it overnight and tomorrow to see if it will pop up.
Hi grappler171,
possible to find out the part number or description of the cable replaced?
Thanks!