Pillar water leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Pillar water leak

Anyone ever figure out where on earth is this stupid water leak is from??

My passenger pillar is soaked. I taped the windshield trim with electrician tape, it still leaks.,

If from sunroof, well it should drain down....

WTF?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
I had the same issue, try putting sealant on weather stripping where windshield meets roof.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Try Search? I believe there are posts that indicate those drains can become clogged, and need to be cleaned.

I keep my sunroof closed for that reason.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can quickly tell if it’s the drain hole by pouring water into it. With mine, the back end of the drain hole had become disconnected from the tubing that runs down the pillar caused by a ham fisted windscreen fitter. Took ages to dry the car out afterwards, I was misted up for weeks. It was fixed by the dealer who I believe accessed the connection from inside the car pulling back the roof lining.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I also had a leak in the same place. For my car the seal over where the roof sections had been welded together cracked and I fixed it by putting silicone caulk over the area. I had to remove the trim piece that covers the weld. This is done by pushing the piece forward and lift it up. It is not difficult.
The following users liked this post:
cnestor (02-04-2024)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by deepa1600
I had the same issue, try putting sealant on weather stripping where windshield meets roof.
I taped that whole area to test, and it still didn't even reduce it a bit. Even lifted it up and put tape inside it.

Originally Posted by DanL07RL
Try Search? I believe there are posts that indicate those drains can become clogged, and need to be cleaned.

I keep my sunroof closed for that reason.
I searched. and obviously by sunroof's closed.

Originally Posted by Legendliving
You can quickly tell if it’s the drain hole by pouring water into it. With mine, the back end of the drain hole had become disconnected from the tubing that runs down the pillar caused by a ham fisted windscreen fitter. Took ages to dry the car out afterwards, I was misted up for weeks. It was fixed by the dealer who I believe accessed the connection from inside the car pulling back the roof lining.

Good luck.
I did. They are clear. That's my mechanic's plan. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by dapqam
I also had a leak in the same place. For my car the seal over where the roof sections had been welded together cracked and I fixed it by putting silicone caulk over the area. I had to remove the trim piece that covers the weld. This is done by pushing the piece forward and lift it up. It is not difficult.
You mean on the inside of the car right?

That was my mechanic's idea. He wants to remove the pillar trim next week as he thinks the tube inside may be dislodged. He may find out the weld is a manufacturing default and epoxi or silicone it.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Will try and take pictures and/or update.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Cause this be caused by the windshield change? Now they wanna change it again. I'm reluctant, as i don't think its the reason.

Originally Posted by dapqam
Could you please specify where is the location you speak of?

The other ideas I tried.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My car has the same problem, Honda is now replacing the whole roof on warranty Totally rusted from inside. 2008 Legend.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowpass
My car has the same problem, Honda is now replacing the whole roof on warranty Totally rusted from inside. 2008 Legend.
They are replacing it 11 years later under warranty? Good deal! Is it because the windshield had been replaced?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info.

I took out those plastic rails that run across the roof from front to back, I have zero rust there.. Actually there's some metal dust in there... is that since production or accumulating from some grinding somewhere?

I just have grey/silver metal powder.. and the roof under than trim is totally rust free. Yet, pillar leaks from the exact same location as yours.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced

I see, well it seems that the rust comes from the inside. So you may have the waterleak nearby and in the future it might pop up in the rails as it did with mine.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Walfunk
They are replacing it 11 years later under warranty? Good deal! Is it because the windshield had been replaced?
They are replacing it because we have a 12 year "rust warranty". (only for rustholes and so) not common rust
Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
cool...hopefully they take care of you. good luck!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:24 AM

I see, well it seems that the rust comes from the inside. So you may have the waterleak nearby and in the future it might pop up in the rails as it did with mine.
No, actually you may be right. The rust is a thin line not is eyesight.. I had to climb on and look backwards.... There's some rust but only on the front from the sunroof and on, it's a line, and bubbly underneath.. I suppose in time this will look like yours.

The body shop couldn't have guessed until i removed that molding just to show, and he saw it not me. He thinks its a manufacturing defect. It's not sealed properly to avoid getting rusted.... Honda actually really sucks that way.

Did you have to have bought that rust warranty or is it on all cars? I mean its their freaking fault...
Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced

It seems to be a defect in the manufacturing yes. Honda said they have never seen this and said no in the begginning. But after a long time with much work they said ok.
All Hondas in Europe has a 12 year old warranty since 2007. But only if the car has been serviced at the dealer every year. Luckily for me mine is thanks to the first rich owner ha ha.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
My A-pillar is leaking for the 3rd time (2005 RL) - first removed the trim piece above the door on the roof drip rail, then pulled back on the black piece of trim that runs down the side of the windshield - found the pinch weld for the roof was rusted, put a dab of caulk on it and that fixed it.

Last year A-pillar started dripping from a different spot, repeated steps above bu this time it looked like the rubber gasket was eroding - there was definitely some loose rubber pieces in that joint - it's almost more like a rubber/foam gasket than pure rubber. Filled in the gap with caulk, car was fine again.

Today it's raining, I go out for breakfast, A-pillar dripping from original location again - CRAP! I'll try to use a better sealant this time instead of bathroom caulk, but I think that gasket may be dry rotted and needs to be replaced. Looked at a site that showed steps needed to replace the windshield and it's a multi-hour job with the chance to break all kinds of trim and cowl pieces - here's a slide show of everything that needs removed:

https://www.ableautoglass.com/SSW-A-...eplacement.htm

Looked at some online glass replacement estimates and no way they're as cheap as they claim (don't have any Acuras on their example cost list) - cost including windshield is $300-$600 - from that slide show above, looks like it might cost $300 in labor just to remove and replace all the trim pieces, the cowl, and engine covers. Wondering whether I should by replacement trim clips in advance, as at least one is sure to break.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
My A-pillar is leaking for the 3rd time (2005 RL) - first removed the trim piece above the door on the roof drip rail, then pulled back on the black piece of trim that runs down the side of the windshield - found the pinch weld for the roof was rusted, put a dab of caulk on it and that fixed it.

Last year A-pillar started dripping from a different spot, repeated steps above bu this time it looked like the rubber gasket was eroding - there was definitely some loose rubber pieces in that joint - it's almost more like a rubber/foam gasket than pure rubber. Filled in the gap with caulk, car was fine again.

Today it's raining, I go out for breakfast, A-pillar dripping from original location again - CRAP! I'll try to use a better sealant this time instead of bathroom caulk, but I think that gasket may be dry rotted and needs to be replaced. Looked at a site that showed steps needed to replace the windshield and it's a multi-hour job with the chance to break all kinds of trim and cowl pieces - here's a slide show of everything that needs removed:

Looked at some online glass replacement estimates and no way they're as cheap as they claim (don't have any Acuras on their example cost list) - cost including windshield is $300-$600 - from that slide show above, looks like it might cost $300 in labor just to remove and replace all the trim pieces, the windshield wipers, the cowl, and engine covers. Wondering whether I should by replacement trim clips in advance, as at least one is sure to break.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ex_hacker202

Looked at some online glass replacement estimates and no way they're as cheap as they claim (don't have any Acuras on their example cost list) - cost including windshield is $300-$600 - from that slide show above, looks like it might cost $300 in labor just to remove and replace all the trim pieces, the cowl, and engine covers. Wondering whether I should by replacement trim clips in advance, as at least one is sure to break.
You might want to try car body sealer - it doesn't dry out as much as silicone bath sealer. It's the brown, sticky stuff they did the body with in the factory.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:33 AM
KB1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A pillar removal

Any advice on how to remove would be appreciated..
recently had a huge downpour and got a small leak on my driver side on the upper side of the pillar. I have plans on getting a new windshield but wouldn't mind taking a closer look before I do. I'm thinking a rust issue as I do have small bubbles starting on the roof right after the trim . Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:04 AM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fix for A pillar 08 RL

I just fixed my 08 RL leak by a professional. Approximately $325 to take the windshield out and reseal it and they fixed a 6” rust spot. After searching the forum I removed the trim rail on the roof and cleared the drain holes with line trimming string and it was still leaking. I figured it was better to pay someone to fix the issue and it hasn’t leaked since.