Parking Garage woes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down Parking Garage woes...

One of the parking attendants scraped it against the wall. Now I gotta file a claim. Here we go... I hope it can get fixed to where it was, Pristine. Not sure how it goes from here but the manager said I have to file a claim. Looks like the molding will need to be replaced beside fixing the scrape dent on door? Should I call my insurance company? What do you guys think?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Why go through your insurance? Does the parking garage have insurance since one of their attendants did this?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
Yeah they should be taking care of it, not you.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Instructor

I have to file a claim this afternoon when I get out of work. So, yes, they will have to pay. Just worried that they will take their sweet time. I will also have to get ready for some time without my car as well which sucks. I hope they do a good job and return my car as it was in excellent condition. Does it look like the molding will need to get replaced?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Have them pay for a rental as well

The body shop will be the best person to make that determination. You shouldn't even worry about it because they should be fixing it, if you don't like the job they do, then you can get them to fix it properly to your liking.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Drive the car until everything is ready to go. The molding will probably be replaced. Take it to a reputable body shop and let them do it. When you get it back, make sure to fully inspect it, if there's something you don't like, speak up.

Make sure they pay for your rental as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Thanks guys for making great points and keeping me at ease. I know it's just a car, but I'm quite down about it. I will probably be the one to have to take it to a shop and bring them the estimate. I think that's how it works. I will find out the details today.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Yes. Start looking around for body shops now. Reach out to your Acura dealer and see who they use.

Get the estimates, provide it to the company.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:55 PM
Instructor

I'm a little nervous because I didn't make the claim this morning because I noticed the damaged when I got to my job. I called the manager as soon as I noticed I noticed it though. I actually know the manager who I work out with. He asked me to take some pictures and text to him which I did. He responded via text that because of the yellow paint and concrete color it looks like his parking attendant scrapped against the wall and told me to come in this afternoon to file a claim. He apologized about this happening in his garage via text.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous. Hope it all works out. That's why I refuse all valet and car wash services. No thank you, I'll be the one mess my car up, thank you very much.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Always file a claim with your own insurance. Provide the info of the garage's insurance. Your own insurance will authorize you to get your car fixed as soon as you wish. In the meantime, your insurance will seek reimbursement from the garage's insurance. If it turns out that fault is determined to be theirs (which sounds like an easy thing to figure out since they admitted it) then your rates WILL NOT GET DINGED. This is how I've handled every accident that was not my fault. If your policy has a "loss of use," then you can get a rental car immediately, which will be reimbursed by the garage's insurance. There is no need for YOU to do all the footwork of collecting payment from the other party, unless maybe you have some sort of crappy fly-by-night insurance carrier. I have always gotten a rental car at least as good as my Acura. In past cases, it's usually a BMW or an SUV of some sort.

BTW, keep that text in case the manager reneges on his admission of fault.
The following 2 users liked this post by schen72:
projektvertx (09-26-2017), thoiboi (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Angry

You are right. I parked it there for a month out of necessity. I usually park outside which isn't much better in NYC, but I expected it not to get damaged in a garage. Go figure.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schen72
Always file a claim with your own insurance. Provide the info of the garage's insurance. Your own insurance will authorize you to get your car fixed as soon as you wish. In the meantime, your insurance will seek reimbursement from the garage's insurance. If it turns out that fault is determined to be theirs (which sounds like an easy thing to figure out since they admitted it) then your rates WILL NOT GET DINGED. This is how I've handled every accident that was not my fault. If your policy has a "loss of use," then you can get a rental car immediately, which will be reimbursed by the garage's insurance. There is no need for YOU to do all the footwork of collecting payment from the other party, unless maybe you have some sort of crappy fly-by-night insurance carrier. I have always gotten a rental car at least as good as my Acura. In past cases, it's usually a BMW or an SUV of some sort.

I have GEICO. Don't have "loss of use". I guess I can get their insurance info when I go after I leave work and file a claim. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Good advice.
The following users liked this post:
schen72 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acura05rl
You are right. I parked it there for a month out of necessity. I usually park outside which isn't much better in NYC, but I expected it not to get damaged in a garage. Go figure.
The good news is that all this damage is very superficial. It'll be very easy to fix and won't affect the car in any way. Your car will look better than it did pre-accident.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

The good news is that all this damage is very superficial. It'll be very easy to fix and won't affect the car in any way. Your car will look better than it did pre-accident.
Thanks! that lifted my spirits up some.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have GEICO. Don't have "loss of use". I guess I can get their insurance info when I go after I leave work and file a claim. We'll see what happens.
Just get the garage's name, name of the manager you communicated with, and most importantly, the garage's insurance information, including their policy number. With this info, your insurance can do all the footwork of figuring it all out. In the meantime, your insurance will probably request you bring your car to an approved repair facility for an initial inspection and repair estimate. It will be your choice where to actually have the car repaired. But with this kind of minor damage, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I estimate it'll take 3-4 days to fix this, most of that time being painting.

BTW, even if you don't have loss of use coverage, if the other party has admitted fault, you can request that they cover your rental car. You probably can't get into a nice car but they should put you into something, and it would be at the other party's cost. Having loss of use just means there is no question and you can usually get into a much nicer car. On my policy, the loss of use costs an extra $14/year.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Just get the garage's name, name of the manager you communicated with, and most importantly, the garage's insurance information, including their policy number. With this info, your insurance can do all the footwork of figuring it all out. In the meantime, your insurance will probably request you bring your car to an approved repair facility for an initial inspection and repair estimate. It will be your choice where to actually have the car repaired. But with this kind of minor damage, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I estimate it'll take 3-4 days to fix this, most of that time being painting.

BTW, even if you don't have loss of use coverage, if the other party has admitted fault, you can request that they cover your rental car. You probably can't get into a nice car but they should put you into something, and it would be at the other party's cost. Having loss of use just means there is no question and you can usually get into a much nicer car. On my policy, the loss of use costs an extra $14/year.
You have been very helpful. I appreciate it. I will make sure to get all the information then contact GEICO.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Team Owner

BMW rental through Geico. You must have the higher reimbursement. $75 a day. When I was in my accidents, Geico would only cover what I pay for, which is $50 per day. The only way I was able to upgrade is when Enterprise did not have a car within the price range for the daily rate. Although, the daily rate is totally different for insurance companies. They get a good discount compared to what you average Joe Blow would get.

Be prepared to pay your deductible up front and then get reimbursed.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flipster23
BMW rental through Geico. You must have the higher reimbursement. $75 a day. When I was in my accidents, Geico would only cover what I pay for, which is $50 per day. The only way I was able to upgrade is when Enterprise did not have a car within the price range for the daily rate. Although, the daily rate is totally different for insurance companies. They get a good discount compared to what you average Joe Blow would get.

Be prepared to pay your deductible up front and then get reimbursed.
Unfortunately I didn't chose the rental in my policy. My deductible is $500. Ready in hand.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
you remind me one time in NYC china town brand new Mercedes S600 got a big hole on the rear bumper and the parking attendance keep telling the owner "It was there already"
Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
you remind me one time in NYC china town brand new Mercedes S600 got a big hole on the rear bumper and the parking attendance keep telling the owner "It was there already"
THe it was there already cop out

Schen72 gave some solid advice here, I don’t think I can add anything above and beyond what he’s said lol
Old 10-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Instructor

All done
Old 10-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Looks good!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Looks good!
Thanks! They did a nice job. When can I get a car washed? Should I wait?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Usually it's 30 to 90 day cure time before you apply any kind of wax or sealant to allow for the paint to "gas out" so to speak. I'm big on the hand washing, since washing is the biggest source of swirls and scratches that get into paint. I see no reason why you can't hand wash it immediately.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Thanks! They did a nice job. When can I get a car washed? Should I wait?
By the way, did they not fix the side skirt? Or was that already there?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Instructor

By the way, did they not fix the side skirt? Or was that already there?
that was there already when I bought her in May. I need to get that done asap. Should've asked them for quote but I didn't want to get jobs mixed up.

As for the hand wash, that's what I always get done here in NYC, but they use power hose to rinse. That's what I'm afraid of. What do you think?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:03 PM

that was there already when I bought her in May. I need to get that done asap. Should've asked them for quote but I didn't want to get jobs mixed up.

As for the hand wash, that's what I always get done here in NYC, but they use power hose to rinse. That's what I'm afraid of. What do you think?
Fair concern. Do they use a pressure washer, or just a "jet" type power hose? You could always ask them to adjust the pressure down.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Fair concern. Do they use a pressure washer, or just a "jet" type power hose? You could always ask them to adjust the pressure down.
I think it's a jet type. Great idea to ask them to power it down.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Nice. Glad it turned out ok...