P0848 probable solution (multiple codes check AFS, Emission and Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
P0848 probable solution (multiple codes check AFS, Emission and Transmission)

So, i was having this code for couple of days now and everytime i cleared it, it came back with a vengeance. So, I changed 3rd gear switch and before that i followed service manual, step by step, for diagnosis (details on code P0848 diagnosis in auto transmission pdf file @ pages 184-187 and replacement of 2nd, 3rd and 4th switch @ pages 296-299) and car has been fine since i changed it yesterday, I drove about 200 km (125 miles) after changing and no codes so far. I am planning to change 2nd and 4th gear switches as well and will see if can create a DIY since i couldn't find one for our Car. See below for part #'s i found from www.oemacuraparts.com ) and don't forget to change washers as well.
2nd/4th switch (i think they are same): 28600-RAY-013 (old part # is 28600-RAY-003)
3rd switch: 28610-RKE-004 (old part #'s are 28610-RAY-003, 28610-RAY-013)
Old 08-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
AFS, Emission and Transmission codes but P1717 is the error...looking forward to the DIY, it says my 4th gear switch is the problem...
Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
My car has the same behavior with codes: my wife was driving RL today and car popped "Check emissions system", "D" was blinking, check adaptive front lighting system, check transmission system, and P0848 code showed.

Question: if it's P0848 code there, is it possible all these codes / messages popped up just because of the 3rd switch AT circuit or whatever code matches in the stickie on this forum?
I plan to take it to the dealer possibly tomorrow to have it checked out. From what I see part is around $50-60, wondering if the labor is intensive, and what dealer will be asking for fixing this...

Thanks!!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rl015
My car has the same behavior with codes: my wife was driving RL today and car popped "Check emissions system", "D" was blinking, check adaptive front lighting system, check transmission system, and P0848 code showed.

Question: if it's P0848 code there, is it possible all these codes / messages popped up just because of the 3rd switch AT circuit or whatever code matches in the stickie on this forum?
I plan to take it to the dealer possibly tomorrow to have it checked out. From what I see part is around $50-60, wondering if the labor is intensive, and what dealer will be asking for fixing this...

Thanks!!
Hi, it was the 3rd gear switch in my case and it's highly likely the same in your case. I have attached diagnostic (start from step 7) and replacement pages of the manual. It's fairly easy to replace. Make sure you remove and replace old washer from the switch. It's located behind the front driver wheel behind plastic covers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0848.pdf (41.5 KB, 704 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you!
When your lights came back, did your "check emission system" light remain on dashboard while afs and P0848 codes were only showing on navi screen in messages?
That is my scenario, so I am suspecting emission test started the ordeal but really hoping it is the P0848 switch as it will be lot cheaper to fix vs emission system repair...
Old 01-31-2018, 11:27 AM
Racer

Thank you!
When your lights came back, did your "check emission system" light remain on dashboard while afs and P0848 codes were only showing on navi screen in messages?
That is my scenario, so I am suspecting emission test started the ordeal but really hoping it is the P0848 switch as it will be lot cheaper to fix vs emission system repair...
After I replaced the switch i cleared codes from ECU and all three lights were gone. But i still get emission light once in a while with code P0420 (i think bad cat or bad O2 sensor) but i haven't bothered with it, i just clear the code and carry on. I have replaced all three switches, the 2nd and 4th i replaced when i did TB and waterpump. So i am guessing you are from US because in Canada all the codes and warning show up in MID not on big center nav display.

Last edited by deepa1600; 01-31-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick update from today:
this morning my light was on for check emission system. Got to work normally, parked... all good... 3hrs later I decided to go to AutoZone and check codes if there was more than what was just showing, and ask them to clear all, then see if it comes back... got into car, no lights on “check emission system” ... not sure what happened ... but light was no longer there...
AutoZone still scanned and found the same code P0848... no worries... They could not clear it, so I got into car to go back to work, and car would not start... oh well... they tested battry, and my battery was dead. So I replaced the battery spot on and car started normally...

Action item:
1. positive terminal cable needs to be replaced (not because of this issue, but definitely needs replacing)
2. Since I will take it to the shop, I will order 3rd switch AT pressure part as well and have them replace it.

Will report back here once all is replaced
Old 01-31-2018, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deepa1600
Hi, it was the 3rd gear switch in my case and it's highly likely the same in your case. I have attached diagnostic (start from step 7) and replacement pages of the manual. It's fairly easy to replace. Make sure you remove and replace old washer from the switch. It's located behind the front driver wheel behind plastic covers,
Forgot to ask: do I need only #12 from this diagram, or #18 is also needed? That washer you mentioned is the #18, right?

tnx!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 PM
Racer

Forgot to ask: do I need only #12 from this diagram, or #18 is also needed? That washer you mentioned is the #18, right?

tnx!!!
I think maybe wait and watch for couple days if the car acts up again because it could very well have been bad battery. RL is very sensitive to low battery voltage and will cause lot of sensors to go crazy. What is the mileage on it? Because if it's high then you might as well replace the switch as a precaution. And yes you need #12 & #18 (https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-parts/2006/acura/rl-sedan/rl-h-hawaii-trim/5-speed-automatic-engine/transmission-automatic-cat/at-sensor-solenoid-scat). One more thing in my car if i had flashing D light due to the switch it never went into 5th gear unless i cleared the codes.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

I think maybe wait and watch for couple days if the car acts up again because it could very well have been bad battery. RL is very sensitive to low battery voltage and will cause lot of sensors to go crazy. What is the mileage on it? Because if it's high then you might as well replace the switch as a precaution. And yes you need #12 & #18 (https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...-solenoid-scat). One more thing in my car if i had flashing D light due to the switch it never went into 5th gear unless i cleared the codes.
Great - thank you. I will pick up a washer from local Honda dealer that has it in stock.
I will be taking car probably later today to get all these installed and will report back on whether lights re-occur after all parts are replaced.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

@deepa1600 - did you get VSA and triangle exclamation mark after replacing your parts?
This may be relevant to the positive cable terminal replacement I had my mechanic do... now I am checking to see how to reset the VSA /!\ lights (84) as my VSA and TCS are currently not working. Someone mentioned this may have happened due to navi/cd changer being "disconnected" - but in fact they were replacing the positive terminal cables and that is probably the culprit ...

Anyone know how to easily reset VSA /!\ lights and get the car back to its glory of no lights on the control panel?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Racer

@deepa1600 - did you get VSA and triangle exclamation mark after replacing your parts?
This may be relevant to the positive cable terminal replacement I had my mechanic do... now I am checking to see how to reset the VSA /!\ lights (84) as my VSA and TCS are currently not working. Someone mentioned this may have happened due to navi/cd changer being "disconnected" - but in fact they were replacing the positive terminal cables and that is probably the culprit ...

Anyone know how to easily reset VSA /!\ lights and get the car back to its glory of no lights on the control panel?
Hey, i didn't get any Vsa lights. I would recommend checking fuses for the VSA if fuse is good then disconnect negative battery cable and wait for couple minutes and then reconnect and check again.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I was able to find the solution... searched the forum and youtube and loks like VSA triangle was on, but vsa light itself came on after getting to 30mph...
Mechanic was swapping positive terminal cable so as part of it, loss of electricity triggered “navi+cd changer” disconnect, which is known to cause VSA and triangle light. I followed reset instruction from youtube and got it reset ok without going to dealer ... looks like my transmission is shifting better, or I am just trippin lol
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Racer

Thanks! I was able to find the solution... searched the forum and youtube and loks like VSA triangle was on, but vsa light itself came on after getting to 30mph...
Mechanic was swapping positive terminal cable so as part of it, loss of electricity triggered “navi+cd changer” disconnect, which is known to cause VSA and triangle light. I followed reset instruction from youtube and got it reset ok without going to dealer ... looks like my transmission is shifting better, or I am just trippin lol
I am glad the issue is resolved.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I am glad the issue is resolved.
Well, I think I spoke too soon. Next day after all was "well", all the same lights came back... First check emission system and engine light... AFS, and then transmission. Same codes, same all ... Went back to mechanic who did all the work and left car for longer diagnostics they will need to do, as now wiring or shorted wire is suspected and becomes bit of a needle in a haystack search.

Fingers crossed it happens soon..
Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: Mechanic found loose connectivity with 3rd switch AT part, as they explained some wiring around it was loosing contact, and they fixed it.
I could not talk to the mechanic directly as he was not there when I picked up my car, but so far all works no issues, no lights or anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by rlx015:
projektvertx (02-20-2018), teh CL (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

All lights are back again.. so far money spent $600+ ... Will update... May be time to let go of the car...
Scott Ostrum (09-22-2022)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
I remember having posted in a similar thread to this what I noticed on multiple lights popping up and my feeling is it is low current.

I get the same 3 lights, airbag, acc,cmbs, like once or twice a month.. I particularly notice it when I honk the horn for a few seconds when there's a dumb-ass not looking where he's going. It even sometimes comes instantly together with my slamming the horn, and if i do so for a second only, only one light comes on, then turns off.

i feel its the module that distributes current - if something like that exist - that's faulty. Coz my acc and cmbs sensors work fine, and my battery is a brand new gel battery with double the stock capacity...
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Gotta hunt electrical gremlins ... In all instances of lights coming up, it starts out of very random in this order:
1. At the same time, "D" starts blinking and first message and light that comes is "Check emissions system"
2. It then follows with "Check AFS" or whatever exact verbiage is...
3. Transmission message comes up and code P0848 shows as well...
4. Within next 10-12hours "Check Emission System" message and engine light goes away on it's own while two messages remain in Navi (which I have cleaned before, but come back).

So far replacement of battery happened after first set of lights...
Battery cables were replaced because my positive terminal was cracked and needed replacing anyway
3rd gear switch AT pressure part was replaced with the washer as well...

I suspect it is nothing faulty, but a short causing this behaviour as the car drives perfectly and as usual.

Will update what dealer says on Tuesday...
Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Prepare to be offered to chane a shitload of sensors, and prepare yourself to say no.

Unless they wanna do it, and refund you if lights come back on.

My money is on the dealer not knowing the real cause.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I had a similar occurance while driving my car on the freeway a few years back when I had 90k on the odometer. Went straight to my mechanic and he took off the valve cover, used compressed air to clean the carbon buildup through the EGR port, while i revved the engine, I could see plenty of black smoke escaping from the exhaust. We did this a couple of times..no codes ever since. He mentioned that this is a common problem. Give it a try..He charged me $30 to do this..I probably could do this on my own but I do not have an air compressor
Old 02-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Update: Dealer was able to install/replace correct sensor/part (3rd gear pressure switch AT) ...Previous mechanic who "fixed" it has not dealt with Acura's, not lately, but ever

Note to all: Dealer mentioned if there is a blinking "D" as part of these flashing lights, lamps, messages, etc. it is definitely pressure switch that is the culprit.
The following 2 users liked this post by rlx015:
DayManRDX (01-12-2019), Scott Ostrum (09-22-2022)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Thanks for the update. I may decide to replace it early as prevemtative maintenance at 150k. I am at 123k right now lol.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I also plan to check EGR Valve as well - plus clean throttle body as these two may affect some issues (dependent when was the last time these were cleaned... if ever )

Quick Question: Are these pressure switches AT all the same for different gears or different?

Thanks for all the guidance!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I am replying to watch this thread... Been having the same issue since i got the car a few years ago... Replaced battery a few times, always comes back... Same lights, cant shift to 5th gear.. pull over turn off/on car and it goes away... Doesn't happen frequently but aggravating when it does...

Let me know if after replacing that switch if it comes back... Thanks
Old 03-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrm143
I am replying to watch this thread... Been having the same issue since i got the car a few years ago... Replaced battery a few times, always comes back... Same lights, cant shift to 5th gear.. pull over turn off/on car and it goes away... Doesn't happen frequently but aggravating when it does...

Let me know if after replacing that switch if it comes back... Thanks
Happy to report that lights have not come back since the dealer fixed it.
Do you get blinking "D" when you experience issues described above? If yes, I'd recommend perhaps changing all of the pressure switches (however many there is lol) - they are about $50-70/each at the dealer, plus labor I am sure is not too much to cover this... however, it may be $500 you spend that does not fix your problem, as you are having issues with trans not going into 5th...
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Do you get blinking "D" when you experience issues described above? If yes, I'd recommend perhaps changing all of the pressure switches (however many there is lol) - they are about $50-70/each at the dealer, plus labor I am sure is not too much to cover this... however, it may be $500 you spend that does not fix your problem, as you are having issues with trans not going into 5th...

Are you still not having any issues? Mine is becoming a multiple times per day thing now and getting EXTREMELY annoying.... I want to make sure it still is ok so i can order a sensor...
Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Instructor

It only doesn't go into 5th when the D is blinking and all the other lights come on... turn of car and start again, its fine...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My 2010 MDX recently began intermittent starts in second gear. Bad shifting and sudden downshifts when I was slowing down. Paddle shifters did not work nor did the shift display show my gear position in Sport/Manual mode 1,2,3,4,5,6. Very harsh shifts and sudden lurches when tranny would shift with speed. No codes and no dashboard notice of any kind. The problem lasted for 2 days then went away. A week later it began again for a few hours. Checked for codes and found P0848. I will be replacing the third tranny pressure switch in the next few days. Based on the threads I read, it should solve the problem. I will post later to confirm.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM
4th Gear

Bad shifting and P0848 on 6 Speed MDX

Update,

I evaluated all transmission pressure switches to determine which codes they trip when the sensor is shorted (or failed closed). See attached. Based on this I determined that my intermittent bad shifting and starts in second and third gear were related to a bad "Switch B" see image for related codes and switches.

I replaced the switch and no problems since. I hope this is helpful to all with bad shifts or erratic badly timed shifts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
image2019-07-02-214543.pdf (275.3 KB, 265 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by PebblesF:
Continue (08-30-2019), rlx015 (07-09-2019), Scott Ostrum (09-22-2022)
Old 01-28-2020, 04:34 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hlp!!!!!!!!

2005 acura rl replaced trans sensor switch twice still getting same code what else could be the problem ?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Shyne Nunez
2005 acura rl replaced trans sensor switch twice still getting same code what else could be the problem ?
I would suggest you check that you replaced the correct switch. They are located very close to each other and can be mistaken. Also unplug the switch beside the one you are replacing and verify that you trigger he corresponding code on my attached picture. Also pull back the wiring harness tape on the sensor and make sure the wire is not damaged cut or torn. What is the code you are seeing?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Shyne Nunez
I would suggest you check that you replaced the correct switch. They are located very close to each other and can be mistaken. Also unplug the switch beside the one you are replacing and verify that you trigger he corresponding code on my attached picture. Also pull back the wiring harness tape on the sensor and make sure the wire is not damaged cut or torn. What is the code you are seeing?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:13 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
po848 and thnx
Old 09-15-2020, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0848 code

I know this thread is old, but I just had this code pop up this weekend on my 2006 RL (212k miles and still going!)
P0848 along with Active Head Lights and Power Steering issue.
Took to Stealership (out of convenience) already knowing what the issue might be thanks to this forum. They confirmed it was the 3rd gear sensor and fixed it yesterday. They replaced it and all codes were gone. They also told me positive battery cable was loose (which was mentioned by them a few months ago when my battery was hesitating to start so I replaced the battery, and it has been fine) and needed to be replaced (costing 400$!) along with over 5k of other stuff I dont plan on doing (lower ball joints have had play for over 5 years, oil gasket rear main seal is supposedly leaking, motor mounts). Is the positive battery cable issue common? I figured it was fine as I haven't really had any other issues. The cost for lower control arms and rear main seal were outrageous and more than the car is worth. Are these things even necessary if I am not having any difficulty and might have the car another year or two. Is it ok to use aftermarket parts for these things or OEM? I've owned the car for over 10 years (I'm second owner, bought it with 30k) and luckily only regular maintenance needed (timing belt/water pump, spark plugs, oil changes, tires brakes and rotors) O2 sensor went bad earlier this year. Seems like nothing on the road compares to it to make me want to get rid of it since its paid off.
KB1 (09-07-2022)