Opinions on upgrading to 2011-2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Opinions on upgrading to 2011-2012

Hi all,

I have a dilemma that I'm trying to think through and would welcome any opinions.

I currently have a 2006 RL Tech with CMBS/ACC. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 2011 or 2012 RL with Advance package. (I don't want to give up the CMBS/ACC!). Just trying to decide if it's worth the approx. $10K difference in cost to sell my 06 and buy a 2011/2012.

I know there aren't a lot of differences, but there are enough to make a difference. In particular, the 3.7L, 6-speed, cooled seats, power folding mirrors, and USB audio. I'm fine with the refreshed look too. It distinguishes itself from the older RLs just enough and makes it a little more upscale.

But another MAJOR reason I want the upgrade is that the 2011/2012 looks like it may be the LAST J-series V6 I can get WITHOUT VCM. I really do not like all the issues arising from VCM and I don't want a VCM engine. It's not worth the measly MPG it supposedly gives you. Unfortunately, it appears that Honda is all-in on VCM and every V6 model since then has VCM. To me, this may be the last chance to get a non-VCM Honda V6.

What do you guys think? Am I nuts in wanting to do this to avoid VCM? Or to get the other features? Do you think it's worth doing?

Any opinions/feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

VCM??
Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
I see your thinking in that Honda is having to re-ring cylinders 1-3 and sometimes cylinders 1-4 on tons of the these VCM's (variable cylinder management) because of this oil burning concern and it's discouraging to think of the future of this technology. I also agree it's a gimmicky feature that hardly makes it worth it considering the mpg improvements. However also consider the fact that Honda is extending their warranty extension to 10 years with unlimited mileage on these current VCM's that start to misfire. That's quite a backing and would also be a reason to consider buying one and just driving the hell out of it! The Acura 3.7L is a good solid motor and the only major issue seems to be with the torque converters in that generation (RL and MDX).
Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
On one hand, you know you love the RL, there are enough goodies to stay in the conversation with any other lux sedan, and the reliability will keep it it running for a long time. All pros. If you truly want another RL, that's really what matters.

On the other hand, new technology has to be proven out before it can be perfected. The CVTs of today's models are a huge improvement from their original predecessors. Direct injection seemed to have a similar story early on. I don't think VCM concerns should sway you away from new models, and it certainly shouldn't push you into a deal that you don't want 100%. Is it possible to wait for used RLX hybrids to hit the market? Have you read the member reviews of them here? Honda will fix the issues it finds, especially with their engines. Honda makes the most reliable engines in the world. They won't give that up easily.

I think it will depend on what you really want. I wouldn't rule out other models unless you just know the RL is your next car.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DanL07RL

VCM??
Variable Cylinder Management
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by oo7spy
On one hand, you know you love the RL, there are enough goodies to stay in the conversation with any other lux sedan, and the reliability will keep it it running for a long time. All pros. If you truly want another RL, that's really what matters.

On the other hand, new technology has to be proven out before it can be perfected. The CVTs of today's models are a huge improvement from their original predecessors. Direct injection seemed to have a similar story early on. I don't think VCM concerns should sway you away from new models, and it certainly shouldn't push you into a deal that you don't want 100%. Is it possible to wait for used RLX hybrids to hit the market? Have you read the member reviews of them here? Honda will fix the issues it finds, especially with their engines. Honda makes the most reliable engines in the world. They won't give that up easily.

I think it will depend on what you really want. I wouldn't rule out other models unless you just know the RL is your next car.
If it's just a waiting game for later generations of VCM to be issue-free, then I have no problems waiting. I actually do want and prefer everything else that the newer cars have in terms of gadgets. It's just that I'm not sure VCM has been fixed even with the later models. I haven't read anything that Honda has made any significant changes to the new engines besides direct injection. Seems like a fundamental flaw in the cylinder deactivation concept... uneven balance causing extra wear on engine mounts and issues with non-firing cylinders over time, and the vibration issues.

The only reason I want another 2011-2012 RL now, is to avoid the hassles of VCM as long as possible (hopefully until Honda gives up on it!). But I guess if they perfect VCM, then I don't have any issues with the newer cars.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldnt, Its still basically the same car. Save the 10k get something newer
Old 01-18-2015, 09:32 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the newer car
Old 01-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Just made the jump myself from an 06 rl to a 2011 rl, and I had to go 350 miles to pick one up in my color combo. I was searching the entire U.S. for months and I believe I only saw one advance model. Good luck with your search if you decide to , may be easier if you are not too picky with the colors and interior.

But other then that, the 2011 drives like a different car. So you should definitely go test drive one before you make a decision.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by knv8
Just made the jump myself from an 06 rl to a 2011 rl, and I had to go 350 miles to pick one up in my color combo. I was searching the entire U.S. for months and I believe I only saw one advance model. Good luck with your search if you decide to , may be easier if you are not too picky with the colors and interior.

But other then that, the 2011 drives like a different car. So you should definitely go test drive one before you make a decision.
Wow.. great to hear from someone who actually did the same upgrade I am thinking about doing. Did you get an Advance as well? May I ask your net cost to upgrade? Do you think the approx. $10K+ difference is work it?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, I called the dealership last month and told them to find me a 2011 RL by June or I'd be buying one elsewhere. Hard to find. Hope you love it. I bought an 08 with 150K miles and fell in love with the RL. My roommate just bought a Benz C300, and I out right prefer the RL. Happy shopping!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Megatron
Wow.. great to hear from someone who actually did the same upgrade I am thinking about doing. Did you get an Advance as well? May I ask your net cost to upgrade? Do you think the approx. $10K+ difference is work it?
Good luck finding a 2011 advance, you will be lucky to find a 2011 in the color combo you want that is reasonably close to you. My upgrade was about $20k.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Pro

Good luck finding a 2011 advance, you will be lucky to find a 2011 in the color combo you want that is reasonably close to you. My upgrade was about $20k.
So do you think it was worth it? Is it really that much different than the 06? Seems like it's the extra 0.2L and extra gear is really what I am buying in the upgrade. Can you give me a rundown on how different it is to you since you came from an 06 like I am?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

So do you think it was worth it? Is it really that much different than the 06? Seems like it's the extra 0.2L and extra gear is really what I am buying in the upgrade. Can you give me a rundown on how different it is to you since you came from an 06 like I am?

Its definitely worth it. You need to go test drive one first. It is similar yes, but drives completely diff from the 06.

More low end torque, suspension is way better not too harsh not too soft, steering feel is diff more road feel but also more vibration.

I test drove, researched and compared lots of diff certified suvs/sedans and still came back to the RL. For the price, features and reliability, it can't be beat.

Last edited by knv8; 01-26-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Pro

Its definitely worth it. You need to go test drive one first. It is similar yes, but drives completely diff from the 06.

More low end torque, suspension is way better not too harsh not too soft, steering feel is diff more road feel but also more vibration.

I test drove, researched and compared lots of diff certified suvs/sedans and still came back to the RL. For the price, features and reliability, it can't be beat.
Wow... thanks for the feedback. I can't find any nearby me to test drive. If I was going to do the upgrade, I was just gonna go out of state to do the deal. But I was kind of hesitating because for the money spent, it doesn't have a lot of the latest gadgets the current Acuras have. So I was thinking maybe a 2015 TLX SH-AWD instead. That seems to have everything AND updated stuff like newer NAV, lane departure mitigation, etc.

What do you think? Did you ever consider the TLX? I want SH-AWD, but don't want the hybrid SH-AWD in the RLX.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

A 2015 TLX Shawd with Tech is gonna be about 45k to 48k otd. Thats a big difference from under 30k otd for a cpo 2011.

If thats not an issue, then of course TLX all the way.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Pro

A 2015 TLX Shawd with Tech is gonna be about 45k to 48k otd. Thats a big difference from under 30k otd for a cpo 2011.

I guess you have a point there! But like you said, finding an Advance RL in the right color combo is quite the challenge. Guess they didn't make too many of them in the 2 years they were available!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

You might think the TLX is superior to the 2011 RL from looking at the spec sheet. Being an owner of a 2011 RL, and having recently taking a lengthy test drive on a TLX SH-AWD; you'll find the RL may be more to your liking. Given, the TLX has all the latest tech toys: Lane Departure Warning, much newer NAVI, Blind Spot Warning, etc. But, the TLX is tiny, inside and out. The car looks much smaller compared to the RL, and I barely fit on the inside. I'm 6ft 2in, and I fit in the RL perfectly with a comfortable driving position, the same can't be said about the TLX. Also, the exclusivity factor of a late model RL, you can't beat. Also, that's why its so damn hard to pick up an RL. When looking at the interior of the TLX compared to the RL. No comparison. In the TLX, their is so, so much hard touch plastic. In the RL the material quality is much better, down the RLs, leather covered doors, even at the bottom, suede like headliner, very comfy seats, and real wood(Advance Pkg); the RL really outclasses the TLX on the interior from all aspects. When you drive a TLX, is it very quiet. But the TLX engine doesn't have the instantaneous responsiveness of the RL. I also feel as if the RL has a better tuned suspension, and I would say the RL has a better steering feel, and it feels more planted. But, the TLX is lighter, and it does get better fuel economy. If you drive a TLX and a 2011-2012 RL, you'll see the RL really is superior.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry RL
You might think the TLX is superior to the 2011 RL from looking at the spec sheet. Being an owner of a 2011 RL, and having recently taking a lengthy test drive on a TLX SH-AWD; you'll find the RL may be more to your liking. Given, the TLX has all the latest tech toys: Lane Departure Warning, much newer NAVI, Blind Spot Warning, etc. But, the TLX is tiny, inside and out. The car looks much smaller compared to the RL, and I barely fit on the inside. I'm 6ft 2in, and I fit in the RL perfectly with a comfortable driving position, the same can't be said about the TLX. Also, the exclusivity factor of a late model RL, you can't beat. Also, that's why its so damn hard to pick up an RL. When looking at the interior of the TLX compared to the RL. No comparison. In the TLX, their is so, so much hard touch plastic. In the RL the material quality is much better, down the RLs, leather covered doors, even at the bottom, suede like headliner, very comfy seats, and real wood(Advance Pkg); the RL really outclasses the TLX on the interior from all aspects. When you drive a TLX, is it very quiet. But the TLX engine doesn't have the instantaneous responsiveness of the RL. I also feel as if the RL has a better tuned suspension, and I would say the RL has a better steering feel, and it feels more planted. But, the TLX is lighter, and it does get better fuel economy. If you drive a TLX and a 2011-2012 RL, you'll see the RL really is superior.
Never thought about the size difference. Good point! As for the material quality, I just assumed the TLX would be on par with the older RL. Did you try out the RLX as well? My only issue with the RLX (pricing aside) is that you can't get it with the standard SH-AWD. I'm not really eager to have the hybrid version of SH-AWD until it has had more time to prove itself and mature. And the thought of a hybrid battery to worry about is not so appealing to me.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

$20k isn't worth the upgrade IMO unless your car is only worth ~$8k. $10-12k would be my target.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
2012 rl by me is 29k, 43k miles. Don't think its the advance package. Good price? Worth trading my 05 for it?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rlerman
2012 rl by me is 29k, 43k miles. Don't think its the advance package. Good price? Worth trading my 05 for it?
If the car has the tech package, and you could get it for 26k. Maybe. I personally think for it to be a real upgrade from your 2005, you should opt for the advance package. But this may be you last opportunity to get on a car 7 years newer than yours. 43k, that car is still getting broken in. You should have no issues with reliability, if you like the new styling. Go test drive the car, you will be surprised of how much different the car drives than yours. I owned a 2005 and now a 2011. The 2011 RL has a much better suspension setup, it handles better, it is much quieter, much quicker when you put your right down, and the car is much more fun to drive with the 6-Speed. From an exterior styling and driving perspective, the newer RL is far superior in my opinion. The cars are more different than you'd think they'd be. If you could get the price down a few grand, I'd take it.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlerman
I see you are in NJ, heres an advance in black.

Used Acura RL For Sale San Gabriel, CA - CarGurus
Old 01-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Pro

Problem with used listings is that you have to look carefully and NOT go by their description. This ad says Advance, but it's not really an Advance... it's just a Tech pkg.

What do you guys think is a good price for a 41K Mile 2012 Advance? A dealer has it for $33K which I think is WAY too high, but what you do guys think is a good deal on this.

Another I am looking at is a 65K Mile 2011 Advance for $23K. I tried to get them to go a little lower but they wouldn't budge.

Which would you guys get? And as for the 2012, how much lower do you think I can get them to go? I haven't tried with those guys yet. It's an Acura dealer whereas the other is a generic used car dealer.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Banned

What do you guys think is a good price for a 41K Mile 2012 Advance? A dealer has it for $33K which I think is WAY too high, but what you do guys think is a good deal on this.

Another I am looking at is a 65K Mile 2011 Advance for $23K. I tried to get them to go a little lower but they wouldn't budge.
In the summer of 2013, I bought a 2011 RL Advance (was 2 years old at the time) with 13,000 miles, yes 13,000 miles for $35k. That car was an Acura Certified Pre-Owned. The 2012 your looking at isvery overpriced; the car should be half the price of what it was new. That 2012 RL Advance was 56k brand new, I think that 28k would be a decent price for the 2012. I got my RL $1000 under invoice. As for the 2011 RL Advance, you shouldn't be worried at all about 65k miles. But I do think 23k would be a more fair price. Mind you, my RL sat on the used car lot for 3 months, the car was listed at 41k originally, the dealer kept dropping the price cause the car wouldn't sell. Good deals on 2011 and 2012 RLs are out there.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
65k 11 for 23k is not a bad price imo. id scoop that up if i saw that instead of my 09
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry RL
In the summer of 2013, I bought a 2011 RL Advance (was 2 years old at the time) with 13,000 miles, yes 13,000 miles for $35k. That car was an Acura Certified Pre-Owned. The 2012 your looking at isvery overpriced; the car should be half the price of what it was new. That 2012 RL Advance was 56k brand new, I think that 28k would be a decent price for the 2012. I got my RL $1000 under invoice. As for the 2011 RL Advance, you shouldn't be worried at all about 65k miles. But I do think 23k would be a more fair price. Mind you, my RL sat on the used car lot for 3 months, the car was listed at 41k originally, the dealer kept dropping the price cause the car wouldn't sell. Good deals on 2011 and 2012 RLs are out there.
Yes, I agree. I was hoping for $27K for the 2012 with 40k miles. The 2011 at 65K miles for $23K is an ok deal, but I was hoping for more like $21.5K. I'm not at all worried about the 65K miles... it's all about amount of warranty left between the cars vs the price. With the 2011, I still have powertrain warranty for 5000 miles. The 2012, I'm good for another 30K miles. That's my only reason for considering the 2012. But is 30K of warranty worth that added cost??
Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Is any amount of warranty worth $10k on a bulletproof car? Hell no! 7-series, maybe. It wouldn't even be worth that on a 2005.

FWIW, I paid $26k for 27k miles on a 3.5 year old '07 Tech. The car was extremely clean and CPO. Sat on the lot in AL for over a month.

One thing you are going up against right now is the economy. No body wanted a luxury sedan with awful MPG when the recession hit. Now that it's bounced back and has is $1.75/gal, people are being less frugal.
The following users liked this post:
rlerman (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Pro

Is any amount of warranty worth $10k on a bulletproof car? Hell no! 7-series, maybe. It wouldn't even be worth that on a 2005.

FWIW, I paid $26k for 27k miles on a 3.5 year old '07 Tech. The car was extremely clean and CPO. Sat on the lot in AL for over a month.

One thing you are going up against right now is the economy. No body wanted a luxury sedan with awful MPG when the recession hit. Now that it's bounced back and has is $1.75/gal, people are being less frugal.
Are there any known common issues with the 2011-2012 RLs? Like how is that 6 speed tranny? Do 2011 earlier models have any more issues than the later 2012 ones? Or is there just not enough data to know because they sold so few 2011 and 2012s?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I think the consensus with the MMC RL is "bulletproof". Even in a place where issues are concentrated (internet forum), I can't recall a reported major issue with an MMC.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Pro

I think the consensus with the MMC RL is "bulletproof". Even in a place where issues are concentrated (internet forum), I can't recall a reported major issue with an MMC.
So then a 2011 or 2012 is essentially no different? All the features and functions are the same, so the only concern was whether an earlier revision of some parts might have been less reliable or they might have worked out some bugs in the 2012 that showed up in the 2011. But it sounds like they had enough years with the RL that all the kinks were already worked out by 2011?

You all think so?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I say watch those cars for awhile, not too many buyers out there for our RL's. It can take months but you will see the price drop. That's what made me jump on my 2011. They started the listing at 30k, then it dropped to 28k the next month. I negotiated down to 26k plus tax etc.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Pro

I say watch those cars for awhile, not too many buyers out there for our RL's. It can take months but you will see the price drop. That's what made me jump on my 2011. They started the listing at 30k, then it dropped to 28k the next month. I negotiated down to 26k plus tax etc.
When did you buy and how many miles on it for $26K? Was it Advance or Tech?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

When did you buy and how many miles on it for $26K? Was it Advance or Tech?
Just bought it this month, cpo 2011 tech package with 38k miles
Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks. My 05 is in great shape, hard to see paying 15-20k for 2011-12 rl. I only have 102k miles on my rl and I rcently did timing belt. All I might need in the near term is shocks and struts. Math doesn't add up for me.