No Speedometer Readout - 2007 RL Base

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Speedometer Readout - 2007 RL Base

Hey everyone...

Had my speedometer drop out, flutter a few a few times, then drop to 0 completely at highway speed on my way to work this morning. After this I got the Check Transmission, Check Engine, Check VSA, indications and the blinking D light.

Strangely, I also got a Check Power Steering indicator as well. I will say that the PS was not behaving correctly when this light was on.

After driving for a bit longer at low speed, the speedometer fluttered a few more time and the PS indication went away, and PS started responding correctly.

I made it to work, but I had to use the key override to shift the car into park as the gear shift would not move up into Reverse.

I don’t have a code reader with me, so no codes yet... any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cory SR Hamilton
Hey everyone...

Had my speedometer drop out, flutter a few a few times, then drop to 0 completely at highway speed on my way to work this morning. After this I got the Check Transmission, Check Engine, Check VSA, indications and the blinking D light.

Strangely, I also got a Check Power Steering indicator as well. I will say that the PS was not behaving correctly when this light was on.

After driving for a bit longer at low speed, the speedometer fluttered a few more time and the PS indication went away, and PS started responding correctly.

I made it to work, but I had to use the key override to shift the car into park as the gear shift would not move up into Reverse.

I don’t have a code reader with me, so no codes yet... any thoughts are appreciated.
Before going any further, check your battery! I received a LOAD of error messages directly related to a failing battery/alternator.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gbriank
Before going any further, check your battery! I received a LOAD of error messages directly related to a failing battery/alternator.
Tganks for the guidance!!!

I checked the items you suggested:

Battery voltage: 13.25 volts
Alternator output: 13.6-14.1 volts

I heard a bearing rattle that I thought was coming from the alternator so I replaced it.

With the new alternator it is making the same sound so I think it might be a bad timing belt idler, so I will plan on changing that in the near future.

I tried to to test drive it after the alternator swap and still get no speedometer, no shifting, and a bunch of error messages. P0722 code locked in again.

Should I replace the output speed sensor that is being flagged from the code reader. If so, where is it located, and is there a way to test it?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

Tganks for the guidance!!!

I checked the items you suggested:

Battery voltage: 13.25 volts
Alternator output: 13.6-14.1 volts

I heard a bearing rattle that I thought was coming from the alternator so I replaced it.

With the new alternator it is making the same sound so I think it might be a bad timing belt idler, so I will plan on changing that in the near future.

I tried to to test drive it after the alternator swap and still get no speedometer, no shifting, and a bunch of error messages. P0722 code locked in again.

Should I replace the output speed sensor that is being flagged from the code reader. If so, where is it located, and is there a way to test it?
Did you end up replacing the output speed sensor? I am having the same issue on my car and I'm not sure where the output speed sensor is located. I thought the neutral safety switch may be the issue as well, but I'm not sure what to try first.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:08 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by darb13970
Did you end up replacing the output speed sensor? I am having the same issue on my car and I'm not sure where the output speed sensor is located. I thought the neutral safety switch may be the issue as well, but I'm not sure what to try first.
I did end up replacing the Output Shaft Speed Sensor to fix the issue. Went through about 4 hours of other troubleshooting to confirm the issue. Also, finally realized that the issue was intermittent, which made it worse to find.

The sensors are on the Drivers side on the transmission. If you look beneath the battery ( about 18” below) you will see 3-4 connectors there. I accessed it from underneath though. My sensor shattered when I tried to remove it, so I had to use vice grips and a screw driver to pop it out. The sensor I replaced has a connector with an ear on it off to one side. From the bottom, it was like the second one up. I think it is a 10mm bolt on it that came right out, but the sensor has an o-ring on it so you have to rotate it a bit back and forth until it pops out.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

I did end up replacing the Output Shaft Speed Sensor to fix the issue. Went through about 4 hours of other troubleshooting to confirm the issue. Also, finally realized that the issue was intermittent, which made it worse to find.

The sensors are on the Drivers side on the transmission. If you look beneath the battery ( about 18” below) you will see 3-4 connectors there. I accessed it from underneath though. My sensor shattered when I tried to remove it, so I had to use vice grips and a screw driver to pop it out. The sensor I replaced has a connector with an ear on it off to one side. From the bottom, it was like the second one up. I think it is a 10mm bolt on it that came right out, but the sensor has an o-ring on it so you have to rotate it a bit back and forth until it pops out.
Thanks for the response Cory.

Since I was in a hurry to get this car registered before my 15 days ran out, I did some cross-referencing of part numbers and purchased both speed sensors at the local Honda dealer. Initially, I wasn't sure if they were the correct sensors, as the part diagrams refer to them as Pickup Assemblies (Output - 28820-RPC-013 & Input - 28820-R29-013). I believe the output sensor was the faulty one but since I had both sensors, I installed them both. Fortunately, I was familiar with the area they are located, as I had just changed the 3G sensor, in hopes of fixing this issue and still had the front driver wheel off the car. The sensors have different angles on the connectors, distinguishing them from each other. They are difficult to remove due to the o-ring and the lack of space for leverage but once removed, the rest of the process is mostly simple. I cleared the DTC codes prior to the test drive and have not received any further error codes in the past 5 hours of runtime.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by darb13970
Thanks for the response Cory.

Since I was in a hurry to get this car registered before my 15 days ran out, I did some cross-referencing of part numbers and purchased both speed sensors at the local Honda dealer. Initially, I wasn't sure if they were the correct sensors, as the part diagrams refer to them as Pickup Assemblies (Output - 28820-RPC-013 & Input - 28820-R29-013). I believe the output sensor was the faulty one but since I had both sensors, I installed them both. Fortunately, I was familiar with the area they are located, as I had just changed the 3G sensor, in hopes of fixing this issue and still had the front driver wheel off the car. The sensors have different angles on the connectors, distinguishing them from each other. They are difficult to remove due to the o-ring and the lack of space for leverage but once removed, the rest of the process is mostly simple. I cleared the DTC codes prior to the test drive and have not received any further error codes in the past 5 hours of runtime.
Glad you were able to get it repaired and that it is still holding up... Mkne has too.

Now I just need to figure out what to do about the door handle rusting!!!