Canadian Driver slams the RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Driver slams the RL

http://www.luxurycarcanada.com/featu...a%20RL%20Elite

Ouch! This is the first truly negative article I've ever read about our beloved RL. It's shocking to me that the author places so much importance on a v-8, but I guess that's a big deal to people who want a v-8 to brag.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bender13
http://www.luxurycarcanada.com/featu...a%20RL%20Elite

Ouch! This is the first truly negative article I've ever read about our beloved RL. It's shocking to me that the author places so much importance on a v-8, but I guess that's a big deal to people who want a v-8 to brag.
It's funny that once again a reviewer fails to mention voice commands. He's "forced" to use the knob and nav screen for the climate system. Also funny that he uses the Volvo S-80 as his gold standard for comparison. Every review I've seen of the S-80 hates it. Must be a Canadian thing.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

I agree

I agree that it's absurd that the Volvo S 80 is somehow thecar against which all manufacturers are competing. Isn't the Volvo just a rebadged Ford? And I recall reading a New York Time's article saying that the Volvo's v-8 was pretty much a waste of money. Crazy canucks.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OUCH. Can't say much more than that.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

my thoughts exactly

It’s rare for Honda to produce a dud, and it’s a particular shame that this dud is meant to showcase the company’s proudest achievements in automotive excess. That the RL hasn’t been a success really doesn’t surprise me. It’s a really nice car, but in order for it to really make a mark, Acura either has to make the RL better or somehow convince Honda to make the Accord worse. Either way, Acura’s people have their work cut out for them.
for comparisons sake:

First Drive: 2007 Volvo S80
http://www.luxurycarcanada.com/featu...%20Volvo%20S80
Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Save the tired complaints about lack of V8, and ridiculous comparisons to the Accord, there isn't much here. He all but admits he didn't drive the car in a way to enjoy the benfits of SH-AWD.

On the one hand "the gauges are easy to read" and "the controls are in easy reach." On the other hand, "the RL's [dash] looks like a hodgepodge."

And why is it a problem that the car has easy-to-read gauges (like an Accord). When the NSX came out, it was often stated that it was as easy to drive as a Civic, with a straighforward interior layout. One could say that many higher-priced cars are similar to their lower-priced brethren. These reviewers spend a day with a car and seem to forget the machine that the easy-to-live-with interior is built around.

Hondas have never been class leaders in power or gadgetry. Instead they do all things pretty darn well. Maybe that's a harder sell as you move upmarket.

Rob144
Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Again, how people confuse the RL to an Accord is beyond me. Sure maybe there may be simliar parts (i.e. Window switches), but Toyota/Lexus does the same thing? What's the big deal?

As we've said before, sure there are design similarities, but so what?

Look at a Camry and you can definitely see ES. Taking it further, the ES, GS, and GS all have similarities of the L-Finesse design. The fact that you're seeing those styling cues on the Camry proves my point.

Saying that the RL looks and feels like an Accord is a gross over-generalization. It' slike saying that Jessica Simpson and Janet Reno are similar (because they're both women).

OK OK, maybe we're not so sure that "woman" and Janet Reno should be used in the same sentence.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM
office monkey

Yep crazy Canucks since no americans ever go on about V8s or other cars that are medicore compared to the RL. That imaginary line separating the two countries just tranforms the brain/tastes of people.

It's funny you don't read about all the gun toting morons here in Canada and multiple school/work shootings but hey, a guy who lives in Canada likes a car that other reviewers don't so man, those crazy Canucks...they are insane and moronic.

How can people be this ignorant...

Anyway, sounds like the guy needs to FOS (feat of strenth) it with the V8 just like some guys here do...aka Mr. Deeno.

Here is a "crazy Canuck" who thinks the RL is the best overall car in its class who doesn't give a shit about having a V8 and thinks it has as much similarity with an Accord as Kate Beckinsale does with the avg looking woman you would find walking down the street...they both have vaginas so they must look the same!!!

No wonder the world in general hates/laughs at Americans...the ignorance is mind boggling.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Again, how people confuse the RL to an Accord is beyond me. Sure maybe there may be simliar parts (i.e. Window switches), but Toyota/Lexus does the same thing? What's the big deal?

As we've said before, sure there are design similarities, but so what?

Look at a Camry and you can definitely see ES. Taking it further, the ES, GS, and GS all have similarities of the L-Finesse design. The fact that you're seeing those styling cues on the Camry proves my point.

Saying that the RL looks and feels like an Accord is a gross over-generalization. It' slike saying that Jessica Simpson and Janet Reno are similar (because they're both women).

OK OK, maybe we're not so sure that "woman" and Janet Reno should be used in the same sentence.
Ummmmm, how about BMW and MB? Audi? They use the same cookie cutter design for their models but nobody gives a shit there.

Reason you never hear about that is because the auto world (meaning reviewers, "car fanboys", etc) in general is biased against Japanese brands.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Smile

It's just one person and one opinion (who just has access to shower a large audience with a published medium).

It does not represent a culture's opinion or a national summation.

It does not change my opinion of the RL or why I purchased one.

No review is subjective, NONE. It is simply an opinion you may or may not agree with. If it is a GOOD review, it will make you think about what appeals to YOU and what does not.

If you buy a vehicle (or anything) to please anyone except for the person making the payment, you are a fool, in any nation.

And now a word to our Maple Leaf neighbors to the north: <insert 'O' Canada'>

I think Canada is amazingly beautiful and visit every year.
I love the grounded, sensible Canadian culture.
It sux that Canada gets reemed with $ premium on our RL!
I am envious of your cooled seats.
I am grateful for the Canadian contribution to a primary food group - Tim Horton's!
And thank you, all Canadians, for sheltering our lost flights & diverted passengers from 9/11. You offered before we asked.

We share more than good taste in automobiles.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned only one lemon in my life and it was a Volvo S80. The worst car I've ever owned. It was an absolute nightmare.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
and what's wrong with it having some similar styling with the Accord? The Accord is a pretty good looking car IMO. Better looking then the Camry/ES/GS body style which looks to me to be too frumpy.

It comes down to that stupid "prestige" thing again. Drives me crazy. How can someone say they're a car lover if "prestige" means more then driveability, safety, features, styling, etc.

They're priorities are more about "look at me, I can afford a $50k car and you can't. I can't relate
Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Personally, I have no issues. I actually don't see how the RL can be mistaken for an Accord. I think the RL has a much more aggressive & muscular stance. Maybe it's conservative, but then again, I also don't think the Infinit M is any more daring with it's styling.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree GoHawks. We understand it's all about personal preference, you can't really debate that with someone. But I truly can't see how someone can say the RL is not good looking. It's a classic sleak style. A cross between sport and luxury. I think the designers did a good job and hope they don't mess with it too much in the next rebuild. Put the underbody kit on it (like I did) and you got one tough looking car with a wide stance. The Lexus' ES/GS looks like an old man car. The LS is a better looker for sure but out of my price range. The M is to skinny. Something about that car just doesn't look right. if you just look at jap cars then the RL wins the contest. If you include German and Italian cars, well, then their all ugly ducks!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SpicyMikey,

I am with you.
With the new looking good wheels and Aspec kit , the car will look sharp.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read the writeup, but I thought part of the problem, sales wise, was the $0-down, $1,200 monthly lease cost, with a terrible residual. For THAT kind of money, what would YOU want?

Must be a Canadian thing.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The funny thing is that although he raves about the volvo v8 he does have to admit that at highway speeds the rl hands the volvo its own ass! DUH. I sat in an s80and the interior was pretty lame indeed. He raves about the volvo safety equipment but forgets that the RL has it all, plus the volvo lacks CMBS (itflashes a stupid light but cannot brake. More DUH. Thus the volvo handles wore than the RL, has inferior safety doodads and has similar acceleration to the RL (despite a v8), and it has essentially the same interior dimensions plus costs more! So I guess that the RL is not much better than an accord but by the same token a volvo is worse than an accord for a higher price than the RL! THe whole review is stupid. I there is any consensus out there is that the s80 is a dud. Why do f----- reviewers persist in comparing the RL to the 8 cylinder competition????? the reason is simple, because when they compare it to the 6 cylinder competition it spanks them all silly!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
The funny thing is that although he raves about the volvo v8 he does have to admit that at highway speeds the rl hands the volvo its own ass! DUH. I sat in an s80and the interior was pretty lame indeed. He raves about the volvo safety equipment but forgets that the RL has it all, plus the volvo lacks CMBS (itflashes a stupid light but cannot brake. More DUH. Thus the volvo handles wore than the RL, has inferior safety doodads and has similar acceleration to the RL (despite a v8), and it has essentially the same interior dimensions plus costs more! So I guess that the RL is not much better than an accord but by the same token a volvo is worse than an accord for a higher price than the RL! THe whole review is stupid. I there is any consensus out there is that the s80 is a dud. Why do f----- reviewers persist in comparing the RL to the 8 cylinder competition????? the reason is simple, because when they compare it to the 6 cylinder competition it spanks them all silly!
BTW canadian driver loved the RL this is some other "luxury car reviewer" punk ass!
probably payed off by FORD!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced

The Canadian reviewer reminds me of the guy whose sum of knowledge was that he knew he would see the correct time of day twice every twenty-four hours on a stopped clock.

His basis of comparison, a V8 to a V6 and then a Volvo S80 to an Acura RL is simply ludicrous. The size of a power plant does not identify the only criteria of a quality luxury automobile. If he wanted to compare apples to apples, then he should think in terms of the fine V8 models the compeition has to offer. But, if he really thinks that quality can only be produced in a V8 form from the German 3 or the big 2 of Japan, he should run right down and buy one for a cost far surpassing that of the RL; and what more is he going to get for that greater amount of cash . . . varooooooom, a loudere growling engine (that uses more gas per mile).

My biggest laugh was when he compared the RL to the Volvo S80. Ridiculous! The Volvo is well made, has nice features but still drives like a truck.

I do not speak without first-hand personal experience. I have owned numerous top-of-the-line vehilces made by Audi, BMW and Mercedes. I have also owned four Volvo models including the very nice Volvo S80T6. I have had a Lexus and am now driving an Infiniti M45. Oh, yes . . . I have owned five RL's. Those RL's were every bit as good in every way as the big bad German cars. And, the RL's were never in the shop fo repair. Wish I could say the same for the German ones.

I do not think that my RL's met the standard of my former Lexus or present Infiniti. But those RL's cost $20K to $33K less than the Lexiu or the Infiniti.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

hahah i'd buy an RL over a S80 any day, once i get a little older and make more money, Canada should build their own type of automobile, then it could compete with the USA automobiles and Vietnam should build automobiles too, China's automobiles are ok
Old 08-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Also read the reader comments under the article, interesting.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
^ Now that's using the search function
The following 2 users liked this post by teh CL:
Ken1997TL (08-26-2018), projektvertx (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by flagship
Also read the reader comments under the article, interesting.

How on earth did you manage to read the article and it's comments?

It's 11 yrs old and says 'page not found'.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Thread that's back from the dead!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by teh CL
^ Now that's using the search function
Can't ding him for doing that!!
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (08-28-2018)