New quirks after the RL 4-part update

Old 03-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New quirks after the RL 4-part update

I was doing pretty well with minimal problems: brakes that squealed a bit, no acuralink messages, a rattle. So no significant problems. I had the Acura 4-part update and (could be coincidence I know) but strange things’ve been happenin'. These quirks are mentioned in other threads cited below each topic but since I have several, I would like to repost and ask others to indicate which, if any, have you experienced?

1. Passenger side mirror does not motor down in reverse. I have made sure that switch is flipped Right.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346

2. The driver window controls no longer operate the rear passenger windows. I made sure the lock-out button was not activated. The rear passengers have no problem rolling them down themselves though.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346

3. XM radio periodically loses station and returns to the XM preview station. This happened twice during my last 10 minute trip. The other stations are still there, but I have to retune to them.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367

4. My trunk no longer operates from my fob or directly by lifting the lever. I can only open with the button inside the door. I checked to be sure that the glove-box lock-out was not active.

5. I think there is a momentary delay in accelerating when I first get going, just a split-second lull in the engine where it doesn't make much noise or much power.

I don’t see any threads about trunk problem or the acceleration lull.

So, I am frustrated because I was relatively problem-free before. Funny, that I did not notice these right away, just about a week afterward ??? Time to see the service department. I would be interested in knowing, though, how many others are finding these problems now. By the way, I do have Acuralink working.

Moderators, I will understand if this needs to be added to the Problems/quirks thread but was hoping it would be allowed separate for a while since it seems (again I could be wrong) related to the RLs with the 4-part update.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've started to see similar issues in my car. I have the following going on at this point:

1. Acceleration Lull - I've seen this since the first day with the car but its gotten worse in my mind. I've had the dealer look at it during the first services (I have 10k miles on my car) and they stated they found nothing.
2. Passenger Side Mirror Issue - yes I have it.
3. Presets settings for each Driver jumping all over the place. I have trouble with my presets going nuts. One time I get in the car and the Nav is on Heading up, next North up, regardless of teh fact I reset the damn thing to heading up. I've lost my addresss in the Nav at least 3 times as well and the radio presets are dissappearing as well when the nav settings get messed up.
3. BIGGEST ISSUE - this weekend I had my SH-AWD Warning 78 Pop up on the display. This was directly after some spririted corner driving. The warning came up but the car didn't seem to be affected. However, I pulled over turned the thing off and then restarted and started to drive again. The warning initially didn't clear and then on driving it wouldn't shift. I then stopped again and restarted (left a longer pause in between stopping and starting) and everything cleared. No problems since and i've pushed it around several corners since and I can't get the error to come up again.
4. I hear the brake squealing from time to time as well.
5. Hard shifts - I am starting to have issues with very hard shifts and what I would call clumsy down shifts happening from time to time with the tranny. It mostly seems to happen when I step on it while rolling and look to accelerate (like when coming through the EZPass toll lane and then going to accellerate).

Overall, I've been happy with the car, but these issues over the last weekend have made me very worried. My previous 2002 TL had its transmission replaced 4 times. I actually went and drove the 2006 Infiniti M45/M35 and I've actually ordered one and I'm planning (at this point) on trading the RL in on one. Right now I have a 2006 M45 Sport on order and I believe Acura should have put in a V8. My main reasons for trading are above and the lack of torque down low. I'm also trading due to the fact that I can get a rear entertainment system in the M45. My kids are demanding it since they always want to take the MDX instead of the RL when we go out due to the DVD system. I'm tired of hearing them complain when I take the RL instead since I want to drive it.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

legendguy,

You absolutely could post whatever topics of RL you want here. The main purpose of that sticky thread is to collect all the necessary and good info for the future conference, not to limit members' right of posting.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
codyt01,

We've all known where you're heading to a while ago. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338

Good luck with your new vehicle. I'm pretty impressive with new M series, too, and may consider to have one (M35x).

Btw, I still think the RL's tranny is different to TL's, and should not be put into the same bug basket together. IMHO. Sorry to know your '02 TL was that bad, but RL won't carry that stinky trait here. (MDX, maybe; but not other Acura)
Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 AM
office monkey

I havent had any of those problems with my CDN RL. Maybe we got lucky or I'm lucky.

I especially don't notice any acceleration lag. The car goes. Again, I wonder if we got some different software or something for our RLs here...the RL accelerates like my parents' LS430 which as we know is one of the smoothest cars out there.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Advanced

I was hearing issues with the AWD system and I wasn't believing them because I had not seen anything. Until I passed 9k miles.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Racer

Picked up my RL today and many things were fixed. Turns out that some computer thing was not correctly hooked up or had become unhooked in the driver armrest area??(I'm obviously no expert about the particulars ). By the time I brought my car in my list had grown!! to:
1. Right side mirror didn't work at all
2. Right side windows wouldn't operate from driver controls
3. Trunk would not open from latch switch
4. Seat memory non-functional

These are all fixed , don't know about the XM and the rattle issues as they were intermittent. We'll see.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:20 AM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by legendguy
These are all fixed , don't know about the XM and the rattle issues as they were intermittent. We'll see.
Please let us know if they got rid of the rattles. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Racer

Rattle seems to be gone today but I think I should get a day or two in before really celebrating. I will ask the service manager what was done and pass it on IF it works. Only problem I am having currently is the door dimples do not lock. Was told new handles were on the way for anyone experiencing door handle issues.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Racer

Rattle seems to be gone today but I think I should get a day or two in before really celebrating. I will ask the service manager what was done and pass it on IF it works. Only problem I am having currently is the door dimples do not lock. Was told new handles were on the way for anyone experiencing door handle issues.
The rattles may be temperature-dependent as the one on my RL. My passenger side handle dimple didn't lock, but this issue was resolved after replacing the handle. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:06 AM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Rattle seems to be gone today but I think I should get a day or two in before really celebrating. I will ask the service manager what was done and pass it on IF it works.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. The damn rattle is the only thing that really bugs me. I have a few quirks, but nothing that I think twice about. Just the darn rattle.