Mic level setting

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mic level setting

I went to the nav diagnostic screen today (out of curosity) and saw the mic level screen under functional setup. Does anyone know what this screen does or how it works?

I hit the voice button on the steering wheel and noticed it started recording.

My curiosity was driven because my friend got a new Accord today and his VR was not working. I went into my screen to see if there was a a switch for the mic.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
That screen is used to calibrate the microphone. It is not intended to be utilized by the user (owner). It is used by the Acura Techs when the car is prepped / initialized for sale.

I believe Acura has a script the tech is supposed to speak to set the mic level. Something to the equivalent to 'Test, 1, 2, 3, Test TEST'.

Perhaps on of the techs on the board can chime in and confirm.

It is possible the mic on your friend's Accord is not calibrated?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I can confirm that it can really screw things up.

Remember the 4.62 Nav Disc loading fiasco, when some owners had the Nav go into diagnostics mode. I had to do some errands and that diagnostics mode screen was bugging the heck out of me. Naturally I tried a voice command, while driving, and the radio was playing. The radio did not cut out like it normally does, and the mic level started bouncing up and down to the music, which was on loud.

After I got the secret code on this board to get out of diagnostics mode, my voice recognition did not work unless I screamed at the top of lungs. Yup, mic Level got messed up!

Dealer fixed the level and it works great now.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should have checked before I posted.............. here is what is in Alldata:

Mic Level

This diagnostic allows you to independently test the microphone and the NAVI TALK and BACK buttons. They are used to activate the voice control system. The microphone is located near the map light in the roof console. It is directional, and works best with the voice coming from the drivers seat.

* Press the TALK button on the steering wheel, and in a normal voice say "testing." The TALK indicator on the screen should momentarily become green, and the text "Now Recording..." should appear in yellow. In addition, the Mic Level indicator should on the screen does not briefly become green, then check the wiring from the steering wheel talk button to the navigation unit. If there is no "Mic Level" movement when you speak, then you should check the wires running from the microphone in the roof console to the HFL unit and the navigation unit. If the wires are OK, the microphone must be faulty; replace the roof console.
* Press the BACK button on the steering wheel. This should cause the Cancel indicator on the screen to momentarily become green. If it does not briefly change to green, then check the wiring from the steering wheel BACK button to the navigation unit.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
This is great! We should start capturing all this data and putting it into some kind of RL Garage like setting.

Then again, maybe we should not be messing around in this section of the car at all. I mean perusing the menus, it looks like you can even mess with the yaw sensor that I would presume helps the SH-AWD decide how much power to shunt to which rear wheel. That could be dangerous to fool around with that!