Louding Whining Noise - Looking for suggestions

Old 10-21-2018, 03:12 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louding Whining Noise - Looking for suggestions

Hello all,

Looking for suggestions on what this whining noise that my wife heard when she drove the car last. She didn’t open the hood so not sure which side of the car this was coming from. She drove the car about 10 miles as I she was pulling into the parking lot, she heard the noise. Cut the car off, went inside the store... probably in the store 30 minutes... when she cranked the car, the noise resumed... she got out of the car to record this video, cut the car off & back on & the noise stopped. I just went outside & it couldn’t reproduce it. I drove the car a few miles up the road, cut it off/on in a parking lot.. nothing... turned the AC off/on... Obviously turned the steering wheel back & forth... I will try to post a pic of the insane maintenance records I put into a spreadsheet done by the original owner (2nd owner). I picked it up with about 160K & have continued his meticulous maintenance.

2007 Acura RL. 186k. All possible maintenance has been done by the Acura dealership on schedule since the car was new. Thinking it’s some sort of belt but without knowing which side of the car it's coming from makes this a tough initial diagnosis on limited info, other than the fact it was super loud. I tried cutting AC on/off & still couldn’t it get to make the noise. I just had the oil changed & brake fluid flushed & the dealership noted my timing belt needed changing but i was under the impression that was due to mileage (was previously done at 105K). Fairly certain it's not the timing belt or the car wouldn't be running right now...hahahaha... Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited by #1steelerfan; 10-21-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Have you replaced the alternator yet? If not, that's what mu gut tells me.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:53 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
Have you replaced the alternator yet? If not, that's what mu gut tells me.
Thanks for responding... the alternator has not been replaced. it's funny you bring that up. For about 6 months or so, every once in a blue moon we will try to start the car... turn the ignition knob & the car does nothing.. (no clicking noise, nothing). The dash will throw the error "Check starting system". However, If we take the car out of park & into neutral, it will crank immediately. I did some research when that first started & seems like others that had that problem resolved the issue by replacing the "Park Neutral Switch" i believe it's called.

At the first service i had after the car exhibited the not starting until i put the car in park, i brought it up to the dealer. They said they ran it through all the checks & could not find anything wrong. I didn't know anything about the Park Neutral switch at the time so i didn't know to bring that up to them (i'm sure they love when people self diagnose based on internet forums) so i'm not sure what all they checked (i'm speaking with the service advisor at this point & not the actual technician) and the car not starting had only happened once or twice so i was hoping it was an anomaly.

We drove the car out to dinner last night (maybe 15 miles round trip), i took the kids to daycare this morning & ran a few errands which involved cutting the car off/on a few times (maybe 20+ miles round trip) & it didn't have any issues nor did the noise return. My wife jumped in it a few hours later to run to the grocery store & what do you know.. noise returned when she was 2 miles from the house.. i asked her to bring the car back & leave it running so i could try to hear which side of the engine it's coming from & the d@mn noise went away... i drove it around the neighborhood & i couldn't get it to make the noise..

Then i did the testing with the multi-meter & here are the results.

Car off = Battery was reading = 12.72
Cranked car = No accessories on = 13.78
Cut on lights, heated seats, front/rear defrost & cranked up the stereo = 13.42

All those readings seem correct. Not sure where to start next but my wife's commute is 45 miles each way so guessing this car will stay parked until i can figure out what is going on. Don't want my wife to get stranded.. i put the multimeter in the car so maybe if it happens while i'm driving it, i can get some readings... maybe the alternator bearing is trying to go out???????

Old 10-22-2018, 11:57 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Sounds like the alternator. Just replaced mine, Check my thread and hit me with any ???? Not that hard if you have the right tools and small hands. (Which I don't) Nah, it was not bad and knowing I did it myself and saved a ton of dough is quite satisfying.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Have your dealer test your alternator - they have the tools to correctly diagnose if it's bad or not.

I would also consider using a non-Honda battery, as they just don't last and tax the alternator with constantly charging it.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine was making that funny noise and had a burning smell while it was running. The noise was barely audible at first and I only heard it when I happened to turn down the radio. I drove for about a week like that, then last Monday, about to leave for work, the noise was very loud and then the "check charging system" alert popped up. Popped the hood and got the smell. I also did the ear to screwdriver to alternator thing and that confirmed it was the alt. Just very happy that she didn't break down on the road and gave me enough warning to fix. Love this car.