looking for Ga-net+ can-bus IEbus info or people

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
looking for Ga-net+ can-bus IEbus info or people

im starting this thread in hopes to get more people involved in this beause I simply don't have enough time or knowledge about this to do it by myself.
im not familiar with can bus systems or Arduino or any other gadgets that are used for this

I have saved a few pages with info on honda can bus system which I will add later

also there are plenty of units available on Alibaba which have controllers for honda canbus integrated in the aftermarket android nav units which means its definitely possible to get one for RL
problem is again. we show no interest therefore companies wont make it happen.

good news is. china is not like koni for example where they wont spend extra 5 minutes to add a bracket to an existing model of shock to make it work on RL. they claim it will take ridiculous amounts of time to create a shock to work on RL. which is crap. KYB did it etc.
anyway. moving on. Chinese manufacturers are better in a way that they are willing to create small batches of products for order and see if product takes off and they simply make more.

problem is finding a company that understands English is harder than I expected.
I contacted about 5 of them and all 5 completely not understand what I was talking about. and offered me to buy a tsx indash instead.

what we really need is a climate control with small lcd and a dash kit to install a double din. if someone can attempt to talk to Chinese manufacturers that might actually get made.

on the other hand I see many people using Arduino and raspberry PI to control climate control.
but I don't know shit about that.
so im hoping someone here does to maybe get the ball rolling

and share what you find. links or info

there are few companies already making aftermarket integration for RL you just have to search harder to find them since a lot of them are In Europe/asia and not America

GA-net+ kit
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (09-17-2020)
Old 01-27-2019, 04:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My situation is I have a Japanese import 2005 Accord with a Japanese navigation unit. In USA speak this is pretty much an Acura TSX
It's not possible to convert it to english and it controls some of the HVAC and radio functionality, along with the reversing camera and trip computer.

I'm currently building a serial to IEBus converter, like others have done with Arduino's and ATMega8's. I've chosen a STM32 and it's a bit of a learning curve. I'm not 100% confident I'll be successful.

The reason I'm not just using the existing code out there is I tried it and in some situations it couldn't keep up with the speed of the messages on the bus. Hopefully a 64MHz MCU is good enough.

I want to be able to completely remove the navi unit and have my device act like it. That way I'll be able to connect to a Raspberry Pi with it's own screen in place of the existing one running Android Auto.

The other option I'm considering is removing the stereo/cd player, navi unit and screen completely from the dash, replacing the screen with a new one and interfacing with the button panel and A/C unit directly.
I'm reasonably confident that the radio unit talks directly to the A/C unit via a dedicated link, not via the IEBus/GA-NET bus.
The button panel is a separate PCB with just the buttons a shift register and few other components on it.

My status on the IEBus -> RS232 device is I can read messages but not yet acknowledge them. Can't send anything yet either.
I need to learn more about the timer peripherals on the STM32. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to C and embedded development. My day job is Java.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was a car stereo installer for 6+ years and did full builds/installs (lights, computers, prisoner cells, and many other custom items) of emergency response vehicles up until 2015. I am very familiar with canbus systems (dodge charger/durango specifically). I really think the best way to retain all system functionality is to get the aux adapter that plugs into the XM slot and work to figure out how to interrupt that video signal with an aftermarket device. I have seen some interesting things out in the market that mirror your phone display to a monitor/TV but nothing of the sort in the car audio world. I am on the brink of taking on this project but have been trying to gather all the information I can before I start tearing things down. My only question/concern is if I interrupt that signal do I lose the ability see my hvac/nav/menus? Does each menu/source selection have its own corresponding video signal? Those are some of the things I don't think I will be able to find out until I just start metering things and "plugging and playing".

I wouldn't want to do anything aftermarket to the dash because of how ugly an aftermarket DD would look in there. I would do a sound processor out to aftermarket amps to achieve the aftermarket sound without disrupting the OEM look and feel.

Are you looking to add video to the system with aftermarket integration? Or what specifically are you trying to achieve? I think between your project and mine we can come up with some useful information for some integration ideas.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MasterMason357
Are you looking to add video to the system with aftermarket integration? Or what specifically are you trying to achieve? I think between your project and mine we can come up with some useful information for some integration ideas.
I think we're trying to do different things.
For me, the navigation system is almost completely useless. It's all in Japanese and I can't read it. It's only good for controlling the A/C and the trip computer.
My initial goal is to install Android Auto (referred to as AA). I'm not convinced using the existing navigation screen is going to be good. The touch screen is limited to a 20x9 grid of touch points, so that's no good for AA. The resolution is 480x272 I think. AA native resolution is 800x480, so anything smaller than that isn't going to be very readable.
I also don't want to spend too much money. The car is only worth about $7,000 (In USD, that's just under $5k)

Like you, I don't want a hacked up looking dash either.
I want full A/C control - That can be done via IEBus or by intercepting the cable that connects the A/C module to the button PCB.
I also want radio control and sound via AA. That means either removing the existing radio/in dash cd changer OR IEBus to select the external audio input the old navigation system/XM radio connector uses.

Given the crappy resolution and touch screen that's already there I'm either going to end up with two screens, the the AA screen down below OR I replace the existing screen with a better one, which appears to be a standard 7" LCD size. That means I need to do more integration with the buttons, as the 6 buttons below the screen, the 3 buttons on the top passenger side and the joystick are all controlled by the screen module, which uses the IEBus to send the keypresses to the navigation unit.

It's looking like the option with the best outcome is to replace the screen unit and integrate with IEBus for audio control. From there it's a toss up between IEBus for A/C or the serial link directly to the A/C module.
I could completely ditch the old radio, which means I lose the CD player - but I'd have gigabytes of storage for music anyway - then I don't need any IEBus at all.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Chris,

Is your HVAC/ICE pretty much the same as our Accords? The Accord Euro was sold briefly in Japan.

You could see if any UK breakers have one and do a tranplant. It would be just as archaic, but at least it would be all in British!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Racer

for 2 years I have been trying to get people involved in figuring out how to effectively replace the oem stereo in this car
with almost zero action. and bunch of doubters.
as soon as I sell the car everyone is like. oh yea lets do it.
well done lol

it is obviously possible because tsx and other Hondas have similar system and people are doing it. and making modules for them and programming them
but that's because the tsx and other honda owners are actively trying to find the solution unlike RL owners who are too docile to actually attempt to find a solution
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM
10th Gear

I have made a little progress.
I received some HA12240FP chips from a seller on Aliexpress, need to see if they work or not though. It's a physical layer IEBus interface chip.
I had a D72042 on order too, which is a controller and phy chip. The same chip the radio uses. It requires a hard to find 6.29MHz crystal though...

I have code running on an STM32 Nucleo board that can read IEBus traffic and send it via serial to a PC using a simple comparator circuit to interface to the IEBus. I'll be using the HA12240 if it works to both read and write to the bus.

This is what the headunit looks like: https://nzhondas.com/topic/178610-20...-accord-wagon/ (not mine)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Racer

I have mdx climate controls.
rdx has few wires that need to be repined.
its a self contained unit unlike RL
i plugged it in on mine. it didn't catch on fire but also didn't work or turn on. diagram shows that it needs wires repined but they are all same colors and designation
so it could be as simple as using mdx climate control i don't know or care anymore. just passing on the info
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM
10th Gear

My client control unit looks like this, it's just the box with the two green plugs on it, the one behind with the blue plug is the LCD screen
Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzysig
for 2 years I have been trying to get people involved in figuring out how to effectively replace the oem stereo in this car
with almost zero action. and bunch of doubters.
as soon as I sell the car everyone is like. oh yea lets do it.
well done lol

it is obviously possible because tsx and other Hondas have similar system and people are doing it. and making modules for them and programming them
but that's because the tsx and other honda owners are actively trying to find the solution unlike RL owners who are too docile to actually attempt to find a solution
I didn't even realize you sold the car lol. Most RL owners haven't tried to find a solution because this isn't a problem for them. Hard to find a solution for a problem you don't have... But I'm glad you found of group of people interested in this. Maybe you'll buy another RL.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
10th Gear

The HA12240FP chip works perfectly with the IEBus, as expected.

Without any documentation about what the messages on the bus mean, or even how to calculate what looks like a checksum byte at the end of each message, this isn't going to be straight forward.

There is some kind of negotiation that happens between the radio, screen and navigation modules. If that doesn't happen, the bus sits there with no traffic.
@fuzzysig Do you have pictures of your climate control module?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Racer

check through my threads I documented everything with pictures in case someone else wanted to join me but it was dead so I gave up and just got rid of the car since I have no knowledge of ga-net or can bus programming.
the whole thing rests on programming a module that is already available for tsx

or contacting Chinese manufacturers with a prototype like a guy did for tsx and had a limited number of units made.
but hes being a dick and not telling me who he talked to even though he wont be doing anything for RL

so if you speak Chinese or find a manufacturer on Alibaba who speaks English you might have success in making an integrated climate control to replace the oem.

I have successfully fitted the double din in mine which is not actually hard. very little cutting.
I offset it to the left so the screen aligns with climate control it looks better that way