License plate LED light swap w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking License plate LED light swap w/ pics

So yesterday afternoon I swapped out the license plate lights for LED's. I figured I would post a short how-to with some pics's also. Figure 30 minutes total for both sides. You'll want to have a trim panel removal tool with a V-head, preferably the metal kind to get a decent amount of leverage to pop four plastic trim anchors up.

To start you don't need to remove the entire trunk lid trim panel, just enough to get your a hand up in there.Looking at the trunk, with the lid raised, you'll have two anchors on the left side, and two on the right side. The first is directly along the left or right side (depending on which you start with). The next two are along the bottom edge closest to the glass. I popped all four trim anchors to get the best visibility in to that small space.

Here's a pic of the left side, looking in to the underside of the panel:

You can see the white plastic anchor. When prying them up it may slip off, but you can just place it back in the anchor base. About a foot back along the bottom edge by the glass is the second anchor. It's a little awkward to get leverage there, but not too bad.

Once you get them popped, you can gently peel back the trim, and with a flash light you can see the license plate bulb assembly.

This bulb housing will twist clockwise and pop-out. It is possible to remove the entire assembly by pushing a hard plastic retaining clip, but I found that to be really tough in such a tight space. I got one out, but the second wouldn't budge. So do yourself a favor and just carefully twist this to get at the bulb.

Here's a pic of the entire assembly removed, bulb and housing.

Here it is with the LED inserted:

Here is where I came upon something I hadn't figured. These are the same LED's I used on the interior and doors. They're a bit long for this use, but they did fit. I recommend going with shorter LED's if you can find them. I saw them on Amazon so I'll likely swap these at some point.

Here is an idea of before and after:

They look a bit blue-toned here, but at night they look whiter. It started raining soon after this, I'll try to post another night time photo.

When you've finished both sides, just pop the anchors back in their holes and you're good to go. be warned, it's a tight space in there with sharp metal edges.

It's a nice look though. I'm happy with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by swake457:
ichi d (01-13-2013), oo7spy (01-15-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Why would you want to make it easier to see your plate? Now a mod for brighter back up lights would be awesome.
The following users liked this post:
lumpulus (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Because we arent criminals, and because its atheistically pleasing.
The following 2 users liked this post by HEAVY_RL:
oo7spy (01-13-2013), swake457 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
If a cop thinks he can't read your plate, he can pull you over for that alone. Real luxury cars typically have bright white bulbs on the plate. Like Heavy said, "it look good."
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike734
Why would you want to make it easier to see your plate? Now a mod for brighter back up lights would be awesome.
It only makes it easier to read if you put brighter bulbs in. My LED's are no brighter than the stock bulbs for this reason.

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Because we arent criminals, and because its atheistically pleasing.
Personally, I'm a habitual speeder and I don't want my license plate to be overly legible so somebody can call in my plate number when I fly by them on the highway. Same reason why I don't have a personalized license plate that is something easy for somebody to remember.

Originally Posted by oo7spy
If a cop thinks he can't read your plate, he can pull you over for that alone. Real luxury cars typically have bright white bulbs on the plate. Like Heavy said, "it look good."
I used to get pulled over all the time when I was younger. Now that I'm older, wear glasses while driving and cruise around in the RL, I never get hassled. Sure, I get pulled over for speeding sometimes but nothing else really. I don't have a front license plate and my tint is far below the legal CO limit and I've never been questioned about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I replaced my reverse light with these and they are much brighter:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Personally, I'm a habitual speeder and I don't want my license plate to be overly legible so somebody can call in my plate number when I fly by them on the highway. Same reason why I don't have a personalized license plate that is something easy for somebody to remember.
hahaha... thats a mindset that I cannot relate to, but I get what you are saying.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
There is no way that this can be a legitimate concern. There are too many reasons why the police cannot be concerned with people calling in cars that they feel are driving poorly. Ultimately, a cop must catch you in the act and confront you in person before anything can be charged against you.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Instructor

My days of blurring down the road at a break-neck speeds are way past me, so I couldn't care less about someone reading my plate. This just looks much better than the "antique" yellow lighting. Don't know why I waited so long to make this swap. It's very easy and looks so much better IMHO.

I started looking in to the reverse light switchover. I have some other priorities right now, but if I do I'll take pics of that one too.
The following users liked this post:
Mike734 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Nice photos and instructions.
It was something like a three weeks after i bought my car i noticed that passenger side plate light was dark.
I just followed manual instructions and changed it, without taking that trunk lid panel of, just with small screwdriver, it took some time and thinking to get them of without braking them. It might be easier to take of that trim panel thou.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

^It is. We have had numerous members try to follow the manual, and the consensus is that the trunk panel is far easier.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maintenanceman
Nice photos and instructions.
It was something like a three weeks after i bought my car i noticed that passenger side plate light was dark.
I just followed manual instructions and changed it, without taking that trunk lid panel of, just with small screwdriver, it took some time and thinking to get them of without braking them. It might be easier to take of that trim panel thou.
That was the first way I tried. Could not get access that way at all. I was afraid to use any more force and break it. Since I had just picked up trim panel removal tools, I figured why not have a look. Thankfully the entire panel doesn't need to come off. Four snap-in plastic anchors (two on each side) and you're in.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Even taking the whole thing off is a breeze. Pull the outside edge of the rubber bumpers near the latch out. Slide the bumpers out. The rest are all clips like the ones you encountered.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
+1 on this...You non speeders.....so you say you've never driven even 1 mph over the posted limit? Yeah right.

Besides...most limits in the USA are set artificially low for revenue generation.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Can anyone explain why having a visible plate keeps you from speeding? I have LED lights, and I speed everyday.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Ditto, jack.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
LED's on the license is still quite rare and if they are brighter or bluer than most cars, they will stand out to a cop. When a cop sees anything that is non standard, particularly on older cars, then he will be inclined to pull you over because that is probably not the only mod that has been performed. He knows that if you have changed to LED's then you have probably tinted your windows and that is the easy money. The license plate LED swap is the catalyst for other potential infractions. Remember, if you think like a cop or know some as buddies then you can work out their M O and save yourself a few bucks.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Blue lights anywhere on a car are illegal. You cannot be pulled over for having a license plate that is overly visible. These reasons are just stupid. Don't put illegal tint on your windows.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Blue lights anywhere on a car are illegal. You cannot be pulled over for having a license plate that is overly visible. These reasons are just stupid. Don't put illegal tint on your windows.
You are lucky that you are not in So Cal - your signature admits to 30% front tint which is illegal and your signature admits to LED license plate LED's which is the flag for the tint ticket at night time.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Now that I am a little older and knowing the amounts of warrant and narcotic arrest that are made during traffic stops I support LEDs being a gateway for them to pull people over.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by db22
You are lucky that you are not in So Cal...
No words spoken throughout history have ever been truer than these...

If I lived in SoCal, I would follow SoCal laws. TX has a limit of 25% up front and no limit on the back.

Now that I am a little older and knowing the amounts of warrant and narcotic arrest that are made during traffic stops I support LEDs being a gateway for them to pull people over.
They can't pull people over for having an illuminated license plate!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

not saying they can, I'm saying if they did... calm down.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

007 - So Cal has a fair pencentage of cars with front window tint but is illegal.
(shh - my MDX has front tint) They can pull you over for it if they are bored or in need of addition revenue for the Christmas ball.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Dear SoCal Fuzz,

db22 is riding dirty.

Thanks, Anonymous.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Alpha Geek

They can't pull people over for having an illuminated license plate!!!
Are you really that naive??

If a cop wants to pull you over, they don't need a reason...Obviously they are supposed to have probable cause, but who do you think will win in court if they say they did have PC and you say they didn't?

Unless you have cameras mounted in your car, it's your word against the officer's and trust me, cops lie with the best of them to get a conviction, as will the DA...the traffic court system no matter where you go, is stacked in a major way favoring the police. Ask me how I know...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I think he meant for upgrading to LEDs... If you had a colored light or a light out that's a no brainer.

If a cop pulled you and said "I see you have LED lights" and no other reason, that's borderline harassment
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Alpha Geek

Heavy...I get what he meant....but if he thinks all his mods being "legal" will keep him safe, he's in for a real surprise one of these days, and given his penchant here for being argumentative, he will probably be "eating some hood" within the 1st minute of the stop.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

hahaha... touche'.

He is safe in Texas, but up in your world yes I agreed with the hood appetizer.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

I refuse to be intimidated by law enforcement. Their purpose is to protect and serve. My income pays theirs. The sooner people understand the law and refuse to back down from their rights, the sooner corruption and deception can be eliminated from our government.

The problem is they work so hard to keep us ignorant, and unfortunately, it is working really well.

Last edited by oo7spy; 01-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Alpha Geek

I refuse to be intimidated by law enforcement. Their purpose is to protect and serve. My income pays theirs. The sooner people understand the law and refuse to back down from their rights, the sooner corruption and deception can be eliminated from our government.

The problem is they work so hard to keep us ignorant, and unfortunately, it is working really well.
Please please, make sure you say EXACTLY that next time you are pulled over.

I grew up in the LE culture...my father was a career State Trooper, I was married to another Trooper(briefly) back in the 80's, and I currently have many friends that are cops. They are humans, just like us, with faults and beliefs and good qualities. The vast majority are fantastic, wonderful people, but just like in society, there are a$$h0les that are in it for the power and ego trip.

If you say what I quoted above to one of those types of cops, you will receive what my friend calls a "wood shampoo" and be cited for resisting arrest. And you will lose in court..unless you have video, but then you'd be arrested for illegally recording a police office in pursuit of his duties.

They especially love to hear the "I pay your salary" line...try it and see.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

So how about those LEDs? LoL
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

So how about those LEDs? LoL
If you really want to know about those LED's!

It's not the LED's that are the problem it's the color temp of them. If they are around 6000K or even more ricer (above 8000K) then you create a flag to that nice officer with the red light.

I agree that all cops start off as normal humans seeking more power but after a few years of dealing with nothing but scum bags then it changes them. After about 15 years of that crap they lighten up and see that full retirement is just around the corner and we will be paying their salary for the rest of their lives.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Same thing in Finland, LED`s are ok as long as the colour is NOT blue or even close to it.
Police will stop you and (if they are in good mood they dont give you fine) say that you have to get rid of those blueberrys NOW and that usually mean that you have to get them of on the side of the road.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Please please, make sure you say EXACTLY that next time you are pulled over.

I grew up in the LE culture...my father was a career State Trooper, I was married to another Trooper(briefly) back in the 80's, and I currently have many friends that are cops. They are humans, just like us, with faults and beliefs and good qualities. The vast majority are fantastic, wonderful people, but just like in society, there are a$$h0les that are in it for the power and ego trip.

If you say what I quoted above to one of those types of cops, you will receive what my friend calls a "wood shampoo" and be cited for resisting arrest. And you will lose in court..unless you have video, but then you'd be arrested for illegally recording a police office in pursuit of his duties.

They especially love to hear the "I pay your salary" line...try it and see.
Don't assume for a moment that you know anything about who I am because you read my online car forum posts. I have been pulled over 4 times, once for 20+ over, twice for 15+ over, and two of those times I was riding very "dirty". Anytime I meet anyone in person, whether a homeless man or a cop, I treat them with respect, and I expect the same in return. They are no better than I am, and I am no better than them. I understand their job, and I help facilitate the smoothest traffic stop possible. That has led to 3 simple speeding tickets and a warning. They were sent out to protect the public, deemed me as a threat to myself and others, and slowed me down. Good guys.

However, I also come from a small town where the county sherif reigns supreme. I have almost T-boned one who ran a stop sign b/c it was after midnight (no one around right?), one has been pulled over by another for DWI in their patrol car, and some sit at new traffic lights that stay red indefinitely with no traffic and pull people over who turn left trying to get home. Your 3rd paragraph is disgusting. You better believe that if a LEO harasses me, I will use every connection to the Bar Association I have to protect myself. And if I want to record them, I will do that too after informing them. If you think that your attitude is acceptable, you are part of the growing problem with America that is ignorant to your rights, the laws that control you, and the consequences that result from that.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Don't assume for a moment that you know anything about who I am because you read my online car forum posts. I have been pulled over 4 times, once for 20+ over, twice for 15+ over, and two of those times I was riding very "dirty". Anytime I meet anyone in person, whether a homeless man or a cop, I treat them with respect, and I expect the same in return. They are no better than I am, and I am no better than them. I understand their job, and I help facilitate the smoothest traffic stop possible. That has led to 3 simple speeding tickets and a warning. They were sent out to protect the public, deemed me as a threat to myself and others, and slowed me down. Good guys.

However, I also come from a small town where the county sherif reigns supreme. I have almost T-boned one who ran a stop sign b/c it was after midnight (no one around right?), one has been pulled over by another for DWI in their patrol car, and some sit at new traffic lights that stay red indefinitely with no traffic and pull people over who turn left trying to get home. Your 3rd paragraph is disgusting. You better believe that if a LEO harasses me, I will use every connection to the Bar Association I have to protect myself. And if I want to record them, I will do that too after informing them. If you think that your attitude is acceptable, you are part of the growing problem with America that is ignorant to your rights, the laws that control you, and the consequences that result from that.
I get the impression that you have a lot more respect for cops and the law than most people do even after getting tickets for speeding, even if there was no danger to you or others and after watching cops run lights with no consequence all while living in a dictatorial environment under the county sheriff?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Alpha Geek

Don't assume for a moment that you know anything about who I am because you read my blah blah blah.
I'm sorry I didn't know you were an attorney, that explains why you come across as adversarial in most of your posts...who do you bill when you post here?

Sorry...back on topic...apologies for the hijack...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by db22
I get the impression that you have a lot more respect for cops and the law than most people do even after getting tickets for speeding, even if there was no danger to you or others and after watching cops run lights with no consequence all while living in a dictatorial environment under the county sheriff?
Like lumpulus said, the vast majority of cops are good people with every intent to protect the public and people like me (even the Hays County Sheriff). If it happens that someone else is putting me or my family in danger, I pray that one will be there to help us. I understand they are trying to make a living just like me, and they have to follow the rules of their job just like me. However, it is not within their rule book that they can pull me over because I have whiter than stock license plate lights and they think that makes me a hoodlum.

lumpulus, I am not an attorney, but someone VERY close to me has been on the Bar for 30+ years. I would be one if I wanted to work 60 hours a week.