L-012: 2006 RL Semi Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Gauss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow L-012: 2006 RL Semi Manual?

So I recently realized my 2006 RL has semi-manual transmission. I have wanted to try it out. The problem is: I have no idea how it works.

I know to the left of the D, there is a slot with + and - signs. How does that work?

I have never driven a manual car before, so that can't help me figure it out.

Can anyone explain how semi manual works in my RL?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Pop the console shifter thing to the left of D. Now you have to change gears by either using the two paddle shifters on your steering wheel, or bumping the console shifter backwards and forwards.

The car will automatically downshift to 1st gear when you come to almost a complete stop.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Read your owner's manual, or the quick start guide, or best yet, view the instructional DVD, all of which come with the car.

Basically + = upshift and - = downshift. The computer will prevent the car from going in too low or too high a gear depending on vehicle speed and I am sure, other factors.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Gauss

Originally Posted by wackjum
Pop the console shifter thing to the left of D. Now you have to change gears by either using the two paddle shifters on your steering wheel, or bumping the console shifter backwards and forwards.

The car will automatically downshift to 1st gear when you come to almost a complete stop.
Thanks for the information. I have a question about automatically downshifting.
Lets say you are driving around 40 mph and the light ahead is red. So you start brakeing to slow down. Do you have to downshift back to the first gear, or does the car automatically do it for you because you are slowing down to a stop?

Originally Posted by Chas2
Read your owner's manual, or the quick start guide, or best yet, view the instructional DVD, all of which come with the car.

Basically + = upshift and - = downshift. The computer will prevent the car from going in too low or too high a gear depending on vehicle speed and I am sure, other factors.
I found the owners manual last night and read the part on Sportsshift.
You said that the computer prevents the car from going in too low or too high a gear. So lets say I am on second gear and driving around 25 mph. Does the car automatically shift into 3rd or 4th for me since 2nd gear is too low?

=========================

I found the manual and read the shifting part last night. It says:
To shift from----Speed range
1--->2------------over 0 mph
2--->3------------over 8 mph
3--->4------------over 17 mph
4--->5------------over 37 mph

But then it says:
To shift from----Speed range
3--->2------------under 56 mph
4--->3------------under 93 mph
5--->4------------under 130 mph

Can anyone explain that to me? I don't understand that part. It says you should be in 5th gear if you are driving over 37 mph, but then it says you should shift from 3rd to 2nd gear if you are going under 56 mph. Shouldn't you be in 5th gear instead of 3rd gear if you are going 56+ mph?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
it's really not that hard.... but given that you've never even driven a manual, maybe the concept of changing gears is a new one for you...

the car will NOT automatically change gears for you..YOU have to change them. the ONLY exception is that as you slow down and come to a STOP - it will automatically put it back into first. so if you are on the freeway, in 5th and you take your foot off the gas..and just coast for a while..and slow down to 40mph...you will STILL e in 5th... the car won't downshift into 4th or 3rd.... so now that you are going slower, and you hit the gas, the car will not be in teh ideal gear, so YOU will need to click the paddles or tap the gear shift level on the '-' to go DOWN a gear.. like riding a ten speed bike... you have ridden a bike with gears right? there are high gears and low gears..the gears that let you start off easily are great for lower speeds, but at higher speeds your legs would be going a million miles an hour..so you change gears and then you spin slower and it's great for high speed, but no way you could start out in that gear..same thing on your RL..

if you are in 5th gear but rolling along at 30mph..the car won't like it and you shoudl downshift to a lower gear...

if you are in manual mode and you come to a tottal stop..like at a stop light, then it goes back to first gear for you...

as you accelerate away from teh stop YOU need to hit the '+' sign to go into higher gears. you can change gears at whatever rpm you want..you can change gears by htiting the paddle shifter on the steering wheel or the shift level (push/pull it) it doesn't mamtter which one you use...you can use one or the other...the car doens't care which one you use... you can use the paddle for one, and then use the level for the next shift..use whichever one you want.

i sometimes find that if I am taking a turn, sometimes it's awkward to use the paddles/b/c my steering wheel is cranked around..so I use one hand on the steering wheel and the other to push the level and upshift to the next gear...sometimes i just use the paddles....

if you punch it away from a stop and you don't upshift to the next gear you will hit the rev limiter...you won't hurt the car but you will stop accelerating..the car will feel like someone pulled the plug on it... try it and you'll see what i mean..

if you want to go as fast as possible, hammer the gas, and as the revs are about to hit the rev limiter, hit the upshift button. there is a slight delay in teh shift action, so if you try to time it so that you shift AS you see the rev limited reached, you will hit it.. so shift a bit early.. if you play aroudn with it you'll see what i mean.

honestly, the RL is not a dragster and trying to race it all over is not what it was meant for. the shift action on the manual mode is nothing like a true sports car automated manual...like porsche PDK, etc.... in those cars the shifts are brutally fast , faster than you could do manually.. on our car, the shift action is just like an automatic tranny, you just get m ore control over when it shift and you can force the car to hold a gear... it's sort of fun...

the only REAL function I have found where manual mode really does pay off and make the car perform substantially better is for turns where i really really really want SH-aWD to kick in..say it's a nice turn you plan to take in 2nd gear...as you approach the turn, the way to get the most out of SH-AWD is to go INTO the turn a bit slower than you would in a regular car, and then mash teh gas as you get INTO the turn, and then SH-=AWD will pull you through tht eeturn..and you will have awesome exit speed... it's great.

the problem is that the stupoid automatic transmission screws this up. if you aproach a turn and are rolling at a "normal" speed..and say you want to be in 2nd gear for this turn..so that you have good rpms... and you need good rpms to get the most out of SH-AwD..so you roll up at a "normal" speed in 2nd gear and the dumb transmission thinks "he's going slowly, shift to third" then the car puts you in thrid, then you hit the gas, then it tries to downshift to second..and it's not as smooth/fluid as it should be...

before you get to that turn you like, click it over into manual mode, downshift it to the gear youw ant..say 2nd..then the car is STUCK in second gear..then you approach the turn..at the speed you want and then you punch it as you start the tu rn, and SH-AWD will power you through it and will AMAZE you...have your hand on teh stick and as you are exiting, and appraochign the rev limiter, THEN pop it into third...

when i first bought the RL, i though it handled "ok"... now that I have truly learned how to exploit SH-AWD, theree are a lot of turns where the RL just flat out HAULS through turns..and this is on my crappy a$$ stock suspension and stock crap all seasons.

i can only imagine how it woudl corner on aspec with 18" Z rated PS2s... it woudl be one serious handler..for a 4000+ fatso car...

go have some fun! be careful!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Gauss

Originally Posted by 23109VC
it's really not that hard.... but given that you've never even driven a manual, maybe the concept of changing gears is a new one for you...

the car will NOT automatically change gears for you..YOU have to change them. the ONLY exception is that as you slow down and come to a STOP - it will automatically put it back into first. so if you are on the freeway, in 5th and you take your foot off the gas..and just coast for a while..and slow down to 40mph...you will STILL e in 5th... the car won't downshift into 4th or 3rd.... so now that you are going slower, and you hit the gas, the car will not be in teh ideal gear, so YOU will need to click the paddles or tap the gear shift level on the '-' to go DOWN a gear.. like riding a ten speed bike... you have ridden a bike with gears right? there are high gears and low gears..the gears that let you start off easily are great for lower speeds, but at higher speeds your legs would be going a million miles an hour..so you change gears and then you spin slower and it's great for high speed, but no way you could start out in that gear..same thing on your RL..

if you are in 5th gear but rolling along at 30mph..the car won't like it and you shoudl downshift to a lower gear...

if you are in manual mode and you come to a tottal stop..like at a stop light, then it goes back to first gear for you...

as you accelerate away from teh stop YOU need to hit the '+' sign to go into higher gears. you can change gears at whatever rpm you want..you can change gears by htiting the paddle shifter on the steering wheel or the shift level (push/pull it) it doesn't mamtter which one you use...you can use one or the other...the car doens't care which one you use... you can use the paddle for one, and then use the level for the next shift..use whichever one you want.

i sometimes find that if I am taking a turn, sometimes it's awkward to use the paddles/b/c my steering wheel is cranked around..so I use one hand on the steering wheel and the other to push the level and upshift to the next gear...sometimes i just use the paddles....

if you punch it away from a stop and you don't upshift to the next gear you will hit the rev limiter...you won't hurt the car but you will stop accelerating..the car will feel like someone pulled the plug on it... try it and you'll see what i mean..

if you want to go as fast as possible, hammer the gas, and as the revs are about to hit the rev limiter, hit the upshift button. there is a slight delay in teh shift action, so if you try to time it so that you shift AS you see the rev limited reached, you will hit it.. so shift a bit early.. if you play aroudn with it you'll see what i mean.

honestly, the RL is not a dragster and trying to race it all over is not what it was meant for. the shift action on the manual mode is nothing like a true sports car automated manual...like porsche PDK, etc.... in those cars the shifts are brutally fast , faster than you could do manually.. on our car, the shift action is just like an automatic tranny, you just get m ore control over when it shift and you can force the car to hold a gear... it's sort of fun...

the only REAL function I have found where manual mode really does pay off and make the car perform substantially better is for turns where i really really really want SH-aWD to kick in..say it's a nice turn you plan to take in 2nd gear...as you approach the turn, the way to get the most out of SH-AWD is to go INTO the turn a bit slower than you would in a regular car, and then mash teh gas as you get INTO the turn, and then SH-=AWD will pull you through tht eeturn..and you will have awesome exit speed... it's great.

the problem is that the stupoid automatic transmission screws this up. if you aproach a turn and are rolling at a "normal" speed..and say you want to be in 2nd gear for this turn..so that you have good rpms... and you need good rpms to get the most out of SH-AwD..so you roll up at a "normal" speed in 2nd gear and the dumb transmission thinks "he's going slowly, shift to third" then the car puts you in thrid, then you hit the gas, then it tries to downshift to second..and it's not as smooth/fluid as it should be...

before you get to that turn you like, click it over into manual mode, downshift it to the gear youw ant..say 2nd..then the car is STUCK in second gear..then you approach the turn..at the speed you want and then you punch it as you start the tu rn, and SH-AWD will power you through it and will AMAZE you...have your hand on teh stick and as you are exiting, and appraochign the rev limiter, THEN pop it into third...

when i first bought the RL, i though it handled "ok"... now that I have truly learned how to exploit SH-AWD, theree are a lot of turns where the RL just flat out HAULS through turns..and this is on my crappy a$$ stock suspension and stock crap all seasons.

i can only imagine how it woudl corner on aspec with 18" Z rated PS2s... it woudl be one serious handler..for a 4000+ fatso car...

go have some fun! be careful!
All I have to say is: THANK YOU!

That bike analogy clicked with me. Now I understand the gear concept in a car. I remember when I was a little kid and was riding my bike. I put the bike on a really low gear because it was easy to pedal. As I increased my speed I had to pedal more and more to continue to increase my speed. At a certain point I was pedaling so fast but I wasn't gaining any speed. I tried pedaling on a high gear from a stop but it took so much effort to complete one rotation I switched back.

Thank you for clarifying whether or not you use the shifter or the paddlers. So since you can use both, it is basically personal preference.

Today I tried Sportsshift mode in an empty parking lot (there were 2 cars). I didn't really do a lot, I just experimented with changing the gears a bit. I also changed it back to D when I was moving.

I still have a lot of work to do with this, like finding out when is a good speed to upshift or downshift. I guess that comes with experience. As for that turn trick you said, I gotta practice a bit first, haha.

I will continue to experiment with this mode before I actually try it on a road with cars. Thanks for your help man, it cleared some things up for me!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Drifting

glad it helped.

you will find that the SH-AWD works best when you are accelerating. since the system applies torque/power to the various wheels to help power - it is only ACTIVE when you are under POWER..... so if you go into a turn TOO fast and you have to let OFF the gas, and you are coasting in teh turn, the AWD system is doing NOTHING. the best way to feel it is to go into a turn 10mph SLOWER than you can... go into it a bit slower than you know you can go through it... and then GAS it HARD as you enter the turn...the AWD will sense you are turning, it will kick in and send the power to the rear outside wheel and you will RIP through teh turn.... it will amaze you.

driving the car "slowly" will not really allow you to experience what the SH-AWD system is capable of.

adjust your MID display so you can see the AWD system working..you'll see on moderate turns...even high speed turns where you are not tu rning very sharply...it doens't do a whole lot.. i really noitce it the most on tirgh 90 degree turns, on/off ramps, etc..places where you are taking a long sweeping turn and you turn the wheel tight...

the best way to experiement with it is to leave it in gear..and to do that you need to be in manual.. find a road where you woudl take a turn at like 25mph.. nothing fast...put it in manual mode...and then leave it in 2nd... 1st is too quicka gear, it won't work. 2nd works much better.

as you enter the turn at about 10-15mph... you might even feel like you are going in "slow"..thats fine.. just as you turn the wheel and enter the turn, mash the throttle.. i mean MASH it.. full throttle... the AWD will kick in and you will blast though.

don't experiemt with this on a small road or a palcd with cars on teh curbs etc.. find a nice wide flat road where no one, and no cops are around.. enjoy.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Gauss

Originally Posted by 23109VC
glad it helped.

you will find that the SH-AWD works best when you are accelerating. since the system applies torque/power to the various wheels to help power - it is only ACTIVE when you are under POWER..... so if you go into a turn TOO fast and you have to let OFF the gas, and you are coasting in teh turn, the AWD system is doing NOTHING. the best way to feel it is to go into a turn 10mph SLOWER than you can... go into it a bit slower than you know you can go through it... and then GAS it HARD as you enter the turn...the AWD will sense you are turning, it will kick in and send the power to the rear outside wheel and you will RIP through teh turn.... it will amaze you.

driving the car "slowly" will not really allow you to experience what the SH-AWD system is capable of.

adjust your MID display so you can see the AWD system working..you'll see on moderate turns...even high speed turns where you are not tu rning very sharply...it doens't do a whole lot.. i really noitce it the most on tirgh 90 degree turns, on/off ramps, etc..places where you are taking a long sweeping turn and you turn the wheel tight...

the best way to experiement with it is to leave it in gear..and to do that you need to be in manual.. find a road where you woudl take a turn at like 25mph.. nothing fast...put it in manual mode...and then leave it in 2nd... 1st is too quicka gear, it won't work. 2nd works much better.

as you enter the turn at about 10-15mph... you might even feel like you are going in "slow"..thats fine.. just as you turn the wheel and enter the turn, mash the throttle.. i mean MASH it.. full throttle... the AWD will kick in and you will blast though.

don't experiemt with this on a small road or a palcd with cars on teh curbs etc.. find a nice wide flat road where no one, and no cops are around.. enjoy.
Ok so the steps are:

1. Signal to turn, put car in 2nd gear
2. Turn
3. As you are turning, press your foot down on the gas pedal
4. As a result, your car will shoot forward

Is that correct?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Excellent explanation. I tried this on the test drive of our new 06 RL and found it to be easy to learn. I was wondering if there is a way to sharpen up the shifting? There seems to be a lag, which kind of surprised me as I was expecting something quick and sharp. Robot, just go out there and shift gears as you accellerate, and try not to hit the rev limiter. The paddle shift really transforms the car into a fun driving machine.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Gauss

Originally Posted by alfadoctor
Excellent explanation. I tried this on the test drive of our new 06 RL and found it to be easy to learn. I was wondering if there is a way to sharpen up the shifting? There seems to be a lag, which kind of surprised me as I was expecting something quick and sharp. Robot, just go out there and shift gears as you accellerate, and try not to hit the rev limiter. The paddle shift really transforms the car into a fun driving machine.
When you say lag, do you mean the car stutters for a second before accelerating?

And yea, I try to switch when the rpm is in the 3-5 zone. Red is around 7-8 I believe, and if you hit the red, then the engine stalls or something. That's what I heard.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The auto-stick/paddles are also quite useful when climbing curvy mountain roads. I love it for that.

I also like it for the freeway as I begin my commute home. As I head into a particular valley, I toggle over into "manual" and then pick my time to downshift into 3rd for my very effective merge, then 4th to roll up a hill out the other side of the valley staying in gear long enough to punch past any slow cars, then up into 5 after I crest the hill, push the shifter back over into auto, tap the cruise control and roll 80 all the way home.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
when you learn its FUN! haha
Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ballinger
The auto-stick/paddles are also quite useful when climbing curvy mountain roads. I love it for that.

I also like it for the freeway as I begin my commute home. As I head into a particular valley, I toggle over into "manual" and then pick my time to downshift into 3rd for my very effective merge, then 4th to roll up a hill out the other side of the valley staying in gear long enough to punch past any slow cars, then up into 5 after I crest the hill, push the shifter back over into auto, tap the cruise control and roll 80 all the way home.

I find that the SH-AWD works really well for this kind of stuff when you are in manual mode... if you are in auto mode, the car is too quick to upshift, and I think SH-AWD works better if you have more power/torque going to the ground, so higher rpms, and climbing rpms seems to help. I have some turns I take and it seems like if I do them under power, the car is FAR more stable and holds it's line through the whole turn..whereas if I left off the gas mid turn, it would totally lose composure and go wide... b/c AWD shuts off when you have no torque going to the ground... coasting = no power to the ground...

the only real weakness to the AWD systme is that it's not "always" there - at least that's how it seems to me... if you are ON the gas, it's there and it's magic. if you let OFF the gas, yo ulose it.

I used to have a 1999 Prelude SH - and that car had an earlier version of SH-AWD..the called it ATTS...active torque transfer system - it was like SH-AWD excpet it was ONLY in the front two wheels..and that stuff worked magic too..you could literally feel the car being "pulled" around turns, similar to the SH-AWD system we have... and i remember being at full throttle in turns and having the car be rock solid, and lifting off and it getting squirrely...so I'd mash the gas again and "boom"..solid again...

so find that turn you like, and go into it a tad too slow, and then give it all you've got through the turn...

given how wel my car handles with 17"s and all seasons - i'd love to see what it would do with 18", PS2, and aspec!!

ballinger - what ramp is this that you blast through?? Sorrento? isn't it fun when you hit your favorite ramp and the light is green...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ballinger

You guys are lucky...80 here would get me a reckless driving ticket...but yes, third gear is very effective for highway work...
Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Gauss

Hey guys.

Today I was practicing with the semi-manual mode (sportshift mode) in an empty parking lot. I was in second gear and a stop sign was ahead of me. So I braked to a stop and the car automatically changed into 1st gear. I am assuming that you don't have to downshift when you are slowing down (ex: red light ahead). Am I right?

I also have a question about something else. I was moving along at around 20 mph in second gear, and then I downshifted into 1st. For a split second nothing happened, then the engine started revving loudly, and the rpm meter jumped a few numbers. Is that supposed to happen? I think the engine revving noise is cool, but is that supposed to happen? Or is something wrong?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Robot, you should really read your entire thread...

Chas, my 80 is flow of traffic... sometimes have to draw back to 75, but it's a cruise control commute, accomplished by traveling slightly after rush hour, or just before.

2310, Sorrento is a fun climb, but there's often stopped traffic at the top of it. I roll down the 15/163 to get downtown, so my best ramps are 10th and 6th ave onto 163 north. Timing and the jump to the left are key!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

I have been surprised many times by the 6th ave exit to 163N when I visit, and that jump to the left is key, if there is even room.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Gauss

Ok, so I haven't posted here in a few weeks.

Anyways, I am getting the hang of sportshift mode. I have driven it a few times. It makes driving the car more fun!

Thanks for your help guys!