L-004: DIY: Painting Your Centercaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
L-004: DIY: Painting Your Centercaps

Hey guys! So as some of you may know, I recently got my ASPEC wheels powdercoated. That created a problem for me, in that my centercaps are now not matching. So I decided to tackle the project of painting itmyself, to make things look good. This is really a general guide to paintingany centercap, not just the RL centercaps.

The first disclaimer I make in starting this DIY is thatneither I nor Acurazine take responsibility for any mistake/injuries madeduring the process. Now, let’s get started! Also, if anyone has any tips/corrections/additions/advise, please chime in! I'm open to suggestions! This DIY isn't set in stone!

STEP 1: Gather all of your materials!:
What you’ll need:
-A small flat head screwdriver
-100 grit sandpaper (2 sheets is plenty)
-400 grit sandpaper (2 sheets as well)
-3M double sided tape
-A SHARP exacto
-Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter
-Duplicolor Paint
-Duplicolor Clear Coat
-Fishing line (not pictured)
-Your center caps!

Step 2: Logo removal
Being by removing the 2 pin retainers behind the center capsusing your flat head screwdriver

Next, wedge your screwdriver between the centercap and thelogo, just to split the logo from the glue. It should come off relativelysimply. You’re not removing the logo with the screwdriver! Just starting theremoval. Don’t apply too much pressure, the logo is plastic!

Next, you’ll use your fishing line between the logo and thecentercap to remove the logo the remainder of the way. Once you’ve removed thelogo, remove any residual glue from the bottom of the logo and the centercap.
Once that’s done, now would be a good time to wash the bothwith warm soapy water and wipe it down.

Step 3: Surface prep!

This is by far the most important step when paintinganything really! Preparing your surface is of utmost importance. Now that youhave your centercaps nice, dry and clean, it’s time to sand down using the 100grit sandpaper. I found it easiest to hold the sandpaper still and move thecentercap back and forth in a smooth sanding motion. I found that one sheetlasted me about 2 center caps. I could have possibly pulled out one morecentercap, but I wouldn’t risk it considering it can result in bad surfaceprep!

Once you’ve removed all of the chrome finish, you’ll have arough, unpainted surface. Now that this is done, you’ll want to smooth thingsup before starting with any painting. Now is the time to pull out your 400 gritsandpaper and sand using the same motion as with the 100 grit paper. Nice andsmooth until you get a smooth finish!

Step 4: Painting!!

Before you start painting, it’s important to clean up yoursurface with warm water to wipe away any dust. Make sure you dry things upbefore continuing. You’ll start off with applying your adhesion promoter first.Now technique is REALLY important here. Make sure you shake your can well, andpractice a smooth sweeping motion before starting on your caps. Also, make sure you are painting on a level surface!

As mentioned, you’ll start with your adhesion promoter. Ifound it good to apply 2 coats, leaving about 5 minutes between coats.

Once you’ve given your final coat of adhesion promoter about10 minutes to dry, you’ll start hitting it with your color coat. Again, I can’tstress enough how important your technique is when spraying! Make sure youpractice a smooth motion when spraying. Spray a few spray on some grass aspractice before moving on to your caps. I hit my caps with 3 coats of paint,leaving 15 minutes between coats. Once you’re done, leave the paint layer todry overnight.

Step 5: Logo prep
Once you’ve coated your centercaps with paint, it would be agood idea to prep the logos to stick them back on once you put your clearcoaton! Using your exacto knife, cut your tape into about 4 thin strips. Using onestrip off one “turn” of your tape, you can make a turn around the back of thelogo, using one smooth strip of tape. Don’t removing the backing until you’reready to apply your tape!

Cut off any excess tape with your exacto knife!

Use some small strips of tape to put on the back of the “A”section of the logo:

Step 6: Clear Coat

The following morning, you’ll hit your center caps withclear coat. I hit is with 3 coats of clear. Again, proper application is key!Practice smooth motion before coming to your caps! I would leave 15 minutesbetween coats. Once your done, I would give the caps a few hours to dry beforere-applying your logos.

Step 7: Logo reapplication

Once you’ve let the clearcoat dry, it’s time to reapply yourlogos. Remove the protective sheet from the tape and apply your logo one thecentercap. Press firmly and evenly on the logo!

Once you’ve done that, reapply the two pin retainers on theback:

Step 8: Enjoy your final product!

Now is the time to pat yourself on the back and enjoy thefruits of your labor! Grab a nice cold drink as a reward and enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (04-30-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
cool..now go fertilize your lawn..lol
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BuLtL00
cool..now go fertilize your lawn..lol
Hey, I live in Michigan, it was still cold outside when I did this
Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
nice work
projektvertx (04-28-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Very nice. I did this on my 8th gen Accord coupe when i got my aspec powdercoated mirror black. However, The centercaps I had, had no holes so I had to drill some and buy the Honda "H"s. Very nice work though.
projektvertx (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Good job!
projektvertx (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by L's TL
Very nice. I did this on my 8th gen Accord coupe when i got my aspec powdercoated mirror black. However, The centercaps I had, had no holes so I had to drill some and buy the Honda "H"s. Very nice work though.
Thanks! Interesting, was the H logo embossed into the centercaps? I remember reading a DIY where that was the case, the OP there was looking to change the "H" from black to red.

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Good job!
Thanks! It was actually pretty simple. The hardest part was finding a matching color.