Aluminum Racing Pedals

Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aluminum Racing Pedals

I just installed new pedals from Ultimate Pedals. I ordered shiny smooth pedals for the gas pedal and the parking brake, and for the brake pedal, I ordered a shiny smooth pedal with rubber dome inserts. All arrived rather quickly in a nicely packaged box complete with "Custom Jewelery for Your Car" labels on the box (you may want to keep this from the ladies to avoid needless jealousy). Each pedal was bubble wrapped and hardware and instructions round out the bundle. The instructions are very detailed and the included hardware is rather accommodating. Really what is most impressive is the pedals. They are very thick, 1/4" or so, and they are nicely machined. Each is not only cut to the proper dimensions, but also bent/curved appropriately. They are truly custom pedals. I opted for these as there really wasn't any other option for the RL. I considered chancing on the fit of TL pedals, but I'm glad I went this route.

I started with the parking brake, which turned out to be the most difficult pedal to work with. First the cover is thick and a pain to remove. There is no glue or anything else but a tight fit to make it a chore. A small slotted screwdriver can be handy, but otherwise just use a bit of muscle and a lot of patience. From there you get a bare medal pedal, slightly smaller than the one you'll use to cover it. The small pedal is over engineered in typical Honda fashion, as it is very well braced. This makes it bit hard to find a place for the bolts, and it made it hard to tighten the nuts. Despite those challenges, it's not too hard to get it on. I went with two bolts in the center as opposed to the opposite corners suggested (just was easier for this pedal and it seems just as strong).

Next the brake pedal, which despite having an easy to remove pedal presented some initial issues. The ideal screw locations (opposite corners or all four) seemed to land on ridges, which can be tricky to drill. I decided now would be a good time to get a flash light, and hell if I didn't see light shining through the pedal! It had four holes, two of which nicely matched up to the holes in the pedals! They even were symmetrical! Before attaching the pedal, I added the rubber bumps, which was easy enough. The nuts should have been easier that the parking brake, but somehow I managed to struggle a bit. Despite that, the brake was rather easy to install. Note the holes were about 3mm below where I would screw them, but you really can't see the difference.

The gas pedal for the RL is a plastic affair, and you don't remove any cover. You just line up the new pedal and drill holes for self tapping screws. It was a breeze.

All in all, I think it took an hour, and it may have taken less if I had better dexterity and tools. The gas pedal now sticks out a tad further, but the other ones seem to be the same (the rubber cover that is gone is about as thick as the aluminum cover). I haven't done any dyno runs or clocked and 0-60 times, but I somehow feel faster now. Pics to come.

I cannot recommend Ultimate Pedals enough. The quality is beyond compare, the fit is precise, and there are many options to suit any desire. They also offer sills (not a need for Acura owners), footrests, and custom engraving/inserts. They even have clutch pedals for RLs ;-)

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalo...hp?cPath=1_181
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gratz!....Let see some pics please!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Pics

Before:

After:

I may try to glue on rubber domes to cover up the screws on the brake pedal, but I'm not sure if they would hold. I have debated the aluminum foot rest, but I'm thinking this is it for me. Well I'm looking to get the Acura all weather mats, but that's gonna wait until next winter.

What do you think?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
They fit nicely.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Pergo?

Thanks!

I suppose I should have installed wooden or laminate ones to fit in with the rest of the car.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
na wooden pedals would look cheezy imo I think these look good might have to pick me up a set
Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best pedals I've ever seen are the ones you can't get any more that were made by Supercomputer on this site. They looked factory and even had the Acura logo's on them to make them look like they came with the car. It's a shame you can't find them anymore unless you know someone that is selling their used set.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by sargeant
The best pedals I've ever seen are the ones you can't get any more that were made by Supercomputer on this site. They looked factory and even had the Acura logo's on them to make them look like they came with the car. It's a shame you can't find them anymore unless you know someone that is selling their used set.
Too bad Supercomputers decided to get out of the biz.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Yeah, there's looked like the Honda made one's in the TL-S. The guys I sent with could embed a logo from a keychain or whatever the source or write whatever you like in the pedals, but it didn't seem worth it to me.

It's sad that the RL scene is so non-existent, but I suppose that makes them all the more special.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
These look nice! Is the e-brake pedal too slippery when wet, or not an issue?

I have used pedals like these in the Civic Si and they work great! The accelerator was smooth, and the clutch and brake have the rubber grips.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Instructor

I've used it a couple times with the pedals (mostly for photos, as its easier to get all three in the same shot with it engaged), but my feet weren't wet or covered in snow. Idon't imagine it will be an issue, but Ultimate Pedals can provide the rubber grips after the fact if they're necessary. I had debated getting the e-brake with the anti slip finish, but I opted for smooth figuring the grips were an option.

An added benefit of the grips is that you can definitely feel them even with thick soled running shoes on. I have no doubts that my foot is on the brake vs the gas.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if the TL pedals will fit the RL. So many other parts seem to be the same.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i tought those were pics of a tl...it looks exactly the same