To keep or not to keep? The $10,000 question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To keep or not to keep? The $10,000 question.

I have a 2005 Acura RL with approx 120,000 miles. She's been very good to me -- but now i've had my first brush with high maintenance bills.

First of all i'd like to thank everyone on the forums for being so insightful. I'm more of a ghost on these forums, as I read tons but never post. So, getting back to the point, I bought my car with about 80k on it from Davis Acura (outside of Philly) and I have not had 1 single problem with it... except....

It seems like, err, I know I have that differential whine/whir noise problem with the propellar shaft. It seems like its more of a nuisance than a problem (and also not a cheap fix). I am due for a differential flush -- as they did one when i bought the car (but i haven't done one since). And is that something that should be done every 15k?

I just bought a new set of tires for $700. I need new front brake pads (DIY for relatively cheap). I have no A/C since the end of last summer
Being in the Northeast, we have brutally humid summers. Mix that in with a 90 degree day + rain and I don't know if i can endure it with no A/C. From my research on the threads, I will be willing to fix it if the problem lies with the field coil (about a $400 fix give or take). But if it's the whole compressor system, this is not something i am going to shell out to fix as i got quoted $1100 for the whole part itself!!!

And also, I have noticed that my car is eating up gas!!!! I can barely get 300 miles out of a full tank and im averaging about 20 mpg. I swear it was never like that before. When i let my foot off of the gas and coast... my car seems to just slow down. Even going downhill I lose speed. What can cause this? Does this have something to do with the propellar shaft?

Being at 120k miles, what else should i expect to be replacing? Should i throw in the towel and trade the car in? It should be worth around 9-10k as a trade-in... but I would love to keep it because it is great in the winter, my little brother just turned 16 and I can give that to him to drive occasionally, and if i wait a little longer, the car will be worth next to nothing. This car is basically paid off (owe 2-3 grand) and I would love to go a few months without a payment before i get into a new BMW lease (I work at a BMW dealership). So theres my problem. Fix now and keep for the future? Or dump it while I have some positive equity.

What else should I expect to replace in the near future? What are the big service intervals? Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
10th Gear

Somebody traded an 06 RL with about 60,000 miles into my dealership, and being a salesman... I had to take the car around the black, as i had a "client" interested in it.

That RL seemed to cruise more naturally when i let go of the gas, instead of slowing down like a turtle. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

And also, I change my oil on time everytime with full synthetic and the most expensive oil filter available. When I bought my RL, the engine sound was flawless. Now, my engine just sounds like its running dirty and loud. And the exhaust stinks (probably my cat going bad). But this RL traded in seemed to be like mine when i first bought it.

Did i destroy my car?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i say if ur having that many issues dump it wen u have some equity in it and jump into the bimmer
Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Did you ever change the timing belt? I'm not saying this is your problem, but it was due at 105k mi and you didn't mention it. If your emissions system, you cat going bad like you said, goes bad, the car will go into a lower power mode to reduce the emissions you aren't catching and will kill mpgs. However, this typically throws an ECU code, your check engine light should come on, that tells the ECU to change to this mode. Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key to ACC before startup? If not, the light may be out and your ECU could be throwing a code without you knowing. I am going out on a limb here and this probably isn't your problem, but if it is, at least your dealership should have a code reader.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also, you can get a new and/or refurb compressor on ebay for around $500 and install with freon for about $200 (so $700 total)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The A/C issue could be the field coil (stator) - it's a known problem on the older 05 and 06 RL's and not that expensive a fix, especially if you can DIY. The part is only $150 or so. The A/C not working was a huge issue on 05 and 06 RL's for a while, until Acura figured out the field coils were going bad.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
10th Gear

**UPDATE**

So i got my new set of tires put on [Conti Extreme Contact DWS] and the ride of the car is like night and day. The car now "coasts" as it should when i let go of the gas instead of immediately slowing down.

I do not believe my timing belt has been changed... is this something that would require immediate attention? I havent had any problems with it... but i do know that timing belts can be perfect one day and then can be trouble the next.

But as far as my a/c, i'm going to take it to the dealer to do a diagnostics [got quoted $89 which doesn't seem too bad] to see if it is the compressor itself... or the field coil. From reading other threads about the A/C problem, it seems like the field coil is 90% of the problem. Has there even been reports on the compressor itself as the problem? If it is the compressor that is the issue...

If i buy a replacement compressor.... do you think i'll have the field coil problem again? or would it be something that has been fixed. Will a 2007 or 2008 RL compressor work in my 05?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

I've also since decided that i'm going to weather the storm and keep the car. It's too great of a car to just dump away and lose forever.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
what mileage did you buy the car?
timing belt should have been part of the 105K service which includes water pump and plugs. Its around $1000 total at dealer
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

http://www.discountacparts.com/Acura...~02140_NC.html

This website says its OEM... and alot of the refurbished compressors i see are by mapco.
Does this compressor have everything i need to get the a/c up and running again?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
timing belt needs to be changed around 105k ... u r correct one day good next day boom ... if it goes boom u will need an engine rebuild so should take care of that soon, but if ur planning on dumping the car soon no need to spend 1k for no reason
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
8th Gear

Should I buy?

Hello all!

I am looking into buying a 2005 RL with about 60k next week. It seems to be in perfect shape on paper: no accidents, one owner, clean carfax - and it is loaded with alot of the great options including the wooden steering wheel/shift knob. However, I am trying to do my research before taking the dive and it seems that I may inherit quite a few problems. I am already far over-reaching my spending ability due to help from my parents. Furthermore, as a medican student, my loans far outreach my income ( which is 0 ). Is going for this RL a smart move, or am I looking at having a semi-functional car with alot of expensive problems? I've looked through the forums at some of the problems and am looking for some tips and advice on what to do...

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

IMHO, I think you have the cart before the horse. I'd tell my kid to get a Civic until they are out of school and only buy a luxury car when they can afford it.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by getakey
IMHO, I think you have the cart before the horse. I'd tell my kid to get a Civic until they are out of school and only buy a luxury car when they can afford it.
I definitely hear you on that; I've had my humble beginnings - starting on a 15 year old rusted minivan and taking baby steps since. I've always been a car enthusiast; it's one of my passions outside of burying myself in books all day everyday. I was hoping to spend a little extra and get something that I can really enjoy and carry me through another 7-8 years into professional life without too many problems. In some senses, I just fell in love with the RL I'm supposed to look at next week - Carbon Gray with Black interior and an owner who has babied it since he brought it home from the dealership.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

I have 130K on my 2005 RL. I think it is pretty solid from a engine/drivetrain perspective (except for the noted whistle at certain speeds noted by many).
My thought would be the electronics and not wanting to take the chance on a big repair bill before finishing school.
I'd start a new thread specific to your situation and get opinions from some of the younger enthusiasts on this site.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vyaspaulas
I definitely hear you on that; I've had my humble beginnings - starting on a 15 year old rusted minivan and taking baby steps since. I've always been a car enthusiast; it's one of my passions outside of burying myself in books all day everyday. I was hoping to spend a little extra and get something that I can really enjoy and carry me through another 7-8 years into professional life without too many problems. In some senses, I just fell in love with the RL I'm supposed to look at next week - Carbon Gray with Black interior and an owner who has babied it since he brought it home from the dealership.
I appreciate the advice! You are right; I feel like the research I have done throughout the forum has led me to believe that risks of buying the car may take precedence over the reward. However, I was hoping to hear that there are for more cases of non-problematic RL's than problematics, and that maybe by 60k miles and this much time, any problems would have surfaced. As of now, I am considering foregoing the RL for maybe the 04 TL in hopes of something much cheaper with better reliability.
Happened to see this on another thread as well. I'm 23 and will be purchasing my first Acura (and first car) in about a month. Think of it this way: Do you think people are more likely to post positive experiences with their car, or do they search online when they have a problem? If I was a betting man, I'd say there are FAR more people with trouble free vehicles than problematic.

Now, also take into consideration that a pricier vehicle typically has more gadgets. That means more things go wrong, not to mention 2005 was the first year for the 2nd gen RL (as was 2004 for the TL). First year cars usually have the most problems on ANY car. Again, not saying you'll have problems, but it should be thought about.

In my personal opinion, driving a 2005 RL that is funded entirely by loans while you are in school isn't that smart. You're buying a car that will not have a warranty, and even if it only has 60k miles, it doesn't hide the fact that it's nearly 7 years old (depending on when it was manufactured). Even the best cars in my family started breaking by the age of 8 if they hadn't already. Little things that may/may not affect the functionality of your car, but will certainly aggravate you. If the car keeps breaking down, you'll keep putting those payments on your loans, which means more interest for you to pay when you're out of school. Except for the med school part, I can relate to your situation. I had been driving an Odyssey minivan since age 16 myself through most of college. But I personally believe this is not the right time to satisfy your enthusiast desires. Just my best of luck with your choice.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PoisonPotato
Happened to see this on another thread as well. I'm 23 and will be purchasing my first Acura (and first car) in about a month. Think of it this way: Do you think people are more likely to post positive experiences with their car, or do they search online when they have a problem? If I was a betting man, I'd say there are FAR more people with trouble free vehicles than problematic.

Now, also take into consideration that a pricier vehicle typically has more gadgets. That means more things go wrong, not to mention 2005 was the first year for the 2nd gen RL (as was 2004 for the TL). First year cars usually have the most problems on ANY car. Again, not saying you'll have problems, but it should be thought about.

In my personal opinion, driving a 2005 RL that is funded entirely by loans while you are in school isn't that smart. You're buying a car that will not have a warranty, and even if it only has 60k miles, it doesn't hide the fact that it's nearly 7 years old (depending on when it was manufactured). Even the best cars in my family started breaking by the age of 8 if they hadn't already. Little things that may/may not affect the functionality of your car, but will certainly aggravate you. If the car keeps breaking down, you'll keep putting those payments on your loans, which means more interest for you to pay when you're out of school. Except for the med school part, I can relate to your situation. I had been driving an Odyssey minivan since age 16 myself through most of college. But I personally believe this is not the right time to satisfy your enthusiast desires. Just my best of luck with your choice.
Well said! There are quite a few more details to the story; I didn't want to write a novel on the forum. However, I won't be putting the on loans exactly; I sold my old car as it had exceeded 15 years in age and would be needing quite a few repairs in the coming months. I have the money - however little it may be - from that transaction to put towards a newer car. I have a rather tight-knit family and all of our cars are essentially "family" cars, ones that any of us may be driving. Nonetheless, it usually ends up being one person driving the car. In any case, my parents would be helping to offset the cost of a newer car and in doing so, trust me to make a wise decision for the family in its entirety; my parents have worked quite hard in their life to provide for us and sacrificed quite a bit; although I plan on giving back fully in my working career and taking care of the family, I was hoping to start sooner rather than later and get a car we can all enjoy, regardless of who drives it, as long as it doesn't require extremely costly and regular maintenance, hence my obsession with Acuras.

I'll cut the story (somewhat) short there as it gets rather complex and too many details are unnecessary when we are here to discuss Acuras. I think I have narrowed down the search to an 05 TL with around 40k and an 04 MDX with about 58k. Both are carbon gray with gray interiors, one owner, well kept with all navi. In the event that the TL works out, I'll probably be the main driver on it. In the event that the MDX works out, I'll probably give that to the daddy-o and take his old 4runner (which although this is an Acura forum, is running A-1 after 130k miles). Either way you better believe I'll be getting as much drive time as possible on either of those.

Anywho, I really appreciate your 2 cents; we have quite a similar mode of thinking - which is quite practical. Unfortunately, cars are my kryptonite! Also, since you're looking for cars also, I can forward the details for the cars I was looking at as soon as I make a decision about which one I'm going to go for - which should be in this next week. I think I'm too new of a member for PMs, but you're welcome to email me at vyaspaulas@gmail.com.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The car is great!! I have 2! Check out the avitar. Hondas will have next to no problems if you can take the time to do your regular matenence and keep your oils stock
Old 04-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vyaspaulas
Anywho, I really appreciate your 2 cents; we have quite a similar mode of thinking - which is quite practical. Unfortunately, cars are my kryptonite! Also, since you're looking for cars also, I can forward the details for the cars I was looking at as soon as I make a decision about which one I'm going to go for - which should be in this next week. I think I'm too new of a member for PMs
Spot on, my friend. I'd be more than happy to do what I can. Can't begin work until I receive security clearance, so I have a lot of time to burn. I joined a few days ago and doubt my PM works, either. I'll shoot you an email in a minute.

I can't speak for the newer MDX, but I love the TL. My parents have just recently acquired an 05 TSX and an 04 Accord. I was sold on the TSX until I drove the TL. It is a wonderful car, and if you decide to go with it, I'm sure you'll be happy.

One thing is for sure, it's going to really suck if you have to drive that 4runner with todays gas prices.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Guys,

I'm in process of buying an '05 RL for DD. I decided on this model year because of the look. Is there anything that i should look for or know about it?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Can you find an '06 or '07? Exact same look, but more of the problems have been worked out. Read this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/nothing-but-problems-w-05-rl-811811/#post12904032

The '05 seems to suffer from the problems of new systems that have not had time to be diagnosed and worked out. Common problems on all RLs though would include door handle malfunction, AC component failure, propeller shaft whine, differential whirl, and I'm sure some more things I am forgetting off hand. All of these problems and most of their solutions are well documented here. It sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that people usually go to these forums to find solutions to random problems rather than gloat about how awesome and reliable their car is. So don't get me wrong, the RL is a great car and is very reliable. However, I would try to find a later year model if at all possible.