Insurance company

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have AMICA insurance and am very pleased w their price and service. Since it is a mutual company I get money back almost every year. Price is so dependant on where you live that I will not bother you w my peremiums but I think they are reasonable.

When you call the company (either sales or claims) you get a person, it might not be cost effective but it is very nice not dealing whith the Call directors.....

They are not available in every state.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few of you have mentioned that you have or had farmers insurance, how did you like them? A local farmers agent just faxed me a quote which will save us over $1605 for the year (to cover the RX300, RL, homeowners) and add an umbrella policy. Impressive.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
A few of you have mentioned that you have or had farmers insurance, how did you like them? A local farmers agent just faxed me a quote which will save us over $1605 for the year (to cover the RX300, RL, homeowners) and add an umbrella policy. Impressive.
Wow, I'd jump on that. Do you have to give up any internal organs or anything to get those rates?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
Wow, I'd jump on that. Do you have to give up any internal organs or anything to get those rates?
Well, here it is, with AAA including the highest coverage (1 mill on everything), RX300, RL, homeowners is costing $5011. This is with my one ticket at 20 over last year. The other driver has one ticket for 5 over. The accident (not at fault this year - so far costing AAA 40k - medical bills piling up). Thats with $1000 deductible on colission and comp. This is withought an umbrella policy.

With Farmers it would be $3406 saving us $1605 a year. this adds the 1mill umbrella policy (which without it, would save us $433 a year). This also adds full glass coverage - no deductible if windshield has to be replaced.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
5th Gear

i recently checked out some quotes at http://www.oneshopinsurance.com they have a couple of companies here.. a lot of people are saying that State Farm has the lowest quotes. Progressive's been the highest rater.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by craig06
i recently checked out some quotes at http://www.oneshopinsurance.com they have a couple of companies here.. a lot of people are saying that State Farm has the lowest quotes. Progressive's been the highest rater.
I have a 05TL and Until the 27th of this month i will be having GEICO. I had 1 ticket and i was paying 1300 every 6 mos, thats for 100/300 plus 50K prop damage, The deductibuls were $500 each.

Starting the 27th i'm switching to METLife as this offered at a group rate thru my job and i'm getting the same coverage for $804 per 6 mos. Obviously you will not be able to get the group rate but the discount for that was about $125 so if i did not have that disc the rate would be about $950. In any case you might want to give them a call. The name of the lady i spoke to was Dawn Forleo and her num is 800-438-6385 ext 2396. I was asking if my friend could get insurance thru them and she said yes but will be minus the group disc. If you need any help feel free to PM me. plus it never hurts to try.

Cheers and hope your feeling better

Sharontha
Old 04-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Revival of the thread. I haven't yet moved from AAA becuase they started paying some of the bills, the minute they stop again I will be gone from them.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Check out esurance

I have been with esurance for the last 2 years for my cars and they have been good. The rates are cheaper, and they have been pretty prompt in payment of claims. However I had one claim this January when wife hit a car in the parking lot and now are working on another because one S.o.B backed into our Odyssey and ran away.... So we will have to wait until then next renewal and see how much these 2 claims affect our rates.

And before esurance I had All-State/AAA/Progressive and the rates have been almost 20 - 40 % lower that other insurer. However due to cost cutting you won't have the benefit of havinga local agent. everything (including claims reporting) is done on the web. Alternatively you can call their 1800 number.

P.S. I don't work for them, just a happy customer.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the tip, I will check them out this evening.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Mercury Insurance - $860 per 6 months (in L.A.) . No citations or accidents in 15+ years. Coverage is up the 'whazoo' (a legal term for being fully insured w/ a $500 deductable). FWIW...My cousin drives an '05 Lexus GS300 and is paying $900 per 6 months with AAA. Lives six blocks away and in a different zip code.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear

I've only had two claims in 30 years, both when someone else hit my car while parked, so fortunately have not had much experience, but I can say that dealing with PROGRESSIVE was probably the most AWFUL consumer experience of my life.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jftjr
Unfortunately, insurance companies all pretty well suck when it comes to getting claims paid, especially from a personal injury perspective.

I would, however, recommend consulting an attorney. Not only will a good PI attorney be able to pursue a claim against the other driver, but they can go to bat with your claims adjuster to get you all you're entitled to from your policy.

If you don't know someone whom you trust, I would recommend calling the bar association in your state for a referral -- whoever has the biggest ad in the phone book is not the way to go.
I support this comment. Personal situation (rear ended by another driver) both insured with State Farm - and I was treated like I was at fault by filing a claim. PI attorney solved the problem.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

The problem with michigan is that we are a no-fault insurance state. When AAA says they don't; want to pay, there is pretty much nothing I can do about it. I have talked to a few lawyers about it and they said unless an xray/mri showed a serious injury, there is nothing they will do for me.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your accident. Also, I take it you are seeing at least a neurologist? It affects both your arms and legs? Did they ever check for any contusions of your cord/ have you had a cat/mri? Has the word "radiculopathy" been mentioned?

Either way, best wishes on getting well soon and not involving lawyers....it takes a strong character to resist the temptation of "easy money." Much respect
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Yep, been to three neuros. Actually the numbness is pretty much gone now, it has only happened a couple in the last couple months.

no CT but MRI was normal. What is radiculopathy? Nobody has mentioned it, and at this point I am willing to try anything. Went to a chiro yesterday...

Thank you
Old 04-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
vp911, sorry to hear about your accident. radiculopathy refers to pain radiating down a nerve, sometimes to the arm or leg, from compression of the nerve root near the spinal cord (slipped vertebral disc, spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, etc.). this may be referred to as a pinched nerve or stinger. if you have soft tissue injury around your cervical (neck) or lumbar (lower back) spinal cord this could manifest as radiculopathy and may have been a consequence of your accident. i'm an md, (not a neurologist so take my opinion as you see fit), but it seems that the negative findings on imaging and your clinical improvement over the past few weeks suggest non-permanent nerve damage which portends a good prognosis. your age certainly helps in recovery. have you started physical therapy? that may be more useful than a chiropracter, at least you will be under the supervision or auspices of an m.d. with pt (no offense to any chiropracters).

i have geico for 1700 a year which is the full 300000/100000 with 500/250 deductible for collision/comp. they were very helpful when some yahoo scraped the driver's side of the car and allowed me to go to the repair shop of my choice. of interest is that this 1700 covers my 2005 rl and my 2003 element. my record is clean which helps, but like you i'm in my early 30s (33 y/o). fyi, i was paying the same amount for my 2 cars now when i just had my 350z (insured through aig), but that's comparing apples and oranges.

i also have umbrella coverage and homeowners, with geico. you never know if you're going to run someone over surfing or tag someone with an errant drive on the golf course and it's not too expensive.

good luck, keep us posted on your rehab!

rick
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
I just checked USAA and unfortunately I cannot get their insurance.
Don't worry - I can get USAA (stepfather is retired military) and their rates were high and reps were fairly stupid.

He's been in a couple accidents over the past 5 years so I may be paying the price for that.

I use GEICO in Atlanta, Georgia (high crime ZIP code) - and it's ~$1500/year. My TL was $1100.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by surfer rick
vp911, sorry to hear about your accident. radiculopathy refers to pain radiating down a nerve, sometimes to the arm or leg, from compression of the nerve root near the spinal cord (slipped vertebral disc, spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, etc.). this may be referred to as a pinched nerve or stinger. if you have soft tissue injury around your cervical (neck) or lumbar (lower back) spinal cord this could manifest as radiculopathy and may have been a consequence of your accident. i'm an md, (not a neurologist so take my opinion as you see fit), but it seems that the negative findings on imaging and your clinical improvement over the past few weeks suggest non-permanent nerve damage which portends a good prognosis. your age certainly helps in recovery. have you started physical therapy? that may be more useful than a chiropracter, at least you will be under the supervision or auspices of an m.d. with pt (no offense to any chiropracters).

i have geico for 1700 a year which is the full 300000/100000 with 500/250 deductible for collision/comp. they were very helpful when some yahoo scraped the driver's side of the car and allowed me to go to the repair shop of my choice. of interest is that this 1700 covers my 2005 rl and my 2003 element. my record is clean which helps, but like you i'm in my early 30s (33 y/o). fyi, i was paying the same amount for my 2 cars now when i just had my 350z (insured through aig), but that's comparing apples and oranges.

i also have umbrella coverage and homeowners, with geico. you never know if you're going to run someone over surfing or tag someone with an errant drive on the golf course and it's not too expensive.

good luck, keep us posted on your rehab!

rick
Rick - Thank you for the explanation. Yes, I had gone to PT twice with no help. The doctor's want me to try alternative treatments since they have no thoughts, e.g. acupuncture, st. johns neuromuscual therapy, chiro, injections (botox by my spine? i don't know how open I am to that idea), etc.

I am still a bit younger than you, but yes, I see your point As soon as AAA stops paying (which they surely will), I will jump to a new ins company. We have homeowners with AAA also, but we don't have an umbrella policy. They wouldn't insure us beucase we have one speeding ticket in the house and this accident...which I wasn't at fault for. Doesn't make much sense, but the other companies have all quoted a low umbrella of under $300 a year for a million in coverage.