I'm pissed - Mechanic f's with my dashcam

Old 04-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pissed - Mechanic f's with my dashcam

So I brought my RL to what I thought was a trusted mechanic for a couple of noises, one from IMO a left balljoint, and the other from the rear passenger (RIGHT) wheel when hitting potholes. My dashcam caught everything before and after their test drive and lift and a few subsequent files are corrupt. That's what happens if the memory card is improperly removed.

They kept looking for a parking brake issue causing the rear noise.. I told them I doubt it as they feel fine. Then, watching my car on the lift, I see them rev for 25 seconds with the brake engaged, trying to cause a noise, then do it in reverse a few seconds. I tell the owner watching this unfold that its not the parking brake politely, trying not to cringe for my car's trans and still working parking brake. Then he says "Look, you brought your car here for our opinion, let us do our thing." Fk this guy, but I assure him I respect their opinion, just trying to save them some time. Soon, they lower the car and rev with the parking brake again, looking at the engine mounts. Ugh.

When the dbag owner was done talking to the monkeys, he told me he needs to take the rear brake assembly apart and that my engine mounts are bad. (I knew the latter.) He tried to blame some of the suspected balljoint noise on the mounts, then told me my rear LEFT wheel bearing is making a noise, but he can't hear the balljoint sound I specifically described - the high pitched squeak over bumps. I guess their ears are too old or too much time on the impact wrench.

Either way, I'm fine with mechanics not knowing. Fine with them trying to sell me things that will eventually need replacing (balljoints, bearings, and mounts.)
Not fine with them ignoring my opinion. Definitely not fine with them F'ing with my dashcam when I'm trusting them with my car.

I swear, when will there be legislation for true supervision of mechanics?? This bs would never fly in the medical industry (at least not anymore.) Everything's transparent and risks/benefits are explained. Docs, PAs, NPs get a diagnosis wrong, we're sued out the ass...which includes emotional distress. Meanwhile, mechanics charge about the same as medical professionals per visit, usually more. And there's no recourse when mechanics deny blame. Just wait in the waiting area where you can't see them screw with your car, guessing how to make money off you. Okay, fine..their insurance doesnt allow customers in the garage.. It should be mandated that your car is visible from inside the waiting area. There should be mandatory vehicle reports with every visit to all licensed mechanics. A printed, well documented SOAP note! And lastly, they should be legally responsible for misdiagnosing problems on a state level.

Closest thing that's mandated to that is a receipt which doesn't explain s*** unless you go to a good Acura dealer. Anything else is just the generosity of your mechanic. And if you drive off with more problems than you previously had, its TOO easy for shops to say "it was like that before."

Last edited by not_a_doctor; 04-24-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:02 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
A good honest mechanic is always the subject of a good joke. They are quite rare.

I used to think its ok let them have their fun and let ppl make money and others learn.

But it ain't funny anymore. replace this replace that = too much trash. We have no more good mechanics just dudes who know how to replace parts.

My old mechanic when i was young fixed everything. You really had to have a destroyed part to get it replaced, for example.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Nice rant!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 PM

There was a post trashing the op. It got deleted.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
That's why I do my all my own work..
Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Nice rant!
Thanks! It's great letting it all out.

And yeah, the Ramblings section wasn't having it. Thread was relocated here.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by RL09
There was a post trashing the op. It got deleted.
I can see it. Sarlacc is a special member. OP should thank asianspec for getting this thread out of there. That doesn't happen very often. In fact, rants that turn into absurd usually go the other way.
The following 2 users liked this post by oo7spy:
not_a_doctor (04-26-2016), RL09 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
damn, wish I saw it..
Old 04-26-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by teh CL
damn, wish I saw it..
The dude just didn't buy any of it, called it baloney, and accused the op of not being a doctor.

the op had made it clear, that he is not one, so does his nickname
Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Definitely thankful the thread wasn't gonna be stuck in that direction. And definitely not a doctor.