How do I disable DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I disable DRL?

I typically don't care about the DRLs being on but when I go to a star party (stargazing) I'd like to be able to disable them so I don't affect the night vision of the other folks. I noticed this morning when I got in the car to check on the navtraffic icons that there was a 'DRL' 'drl off' message in the info screen. So I checked the manual. It's not very clear how to disable DRL. Does anyone have a clear description on how to do it?

It's important that the DRLs don't come on when I turn of the regular headlights when I pull into the parkinglot.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the emergency brake on and then turn on the car the DRL turns off. I don't know if you can do it otherwise.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Racer

Super, I'll try it tonight. Thanks! Do you know if that's just a handy shortcut or is there some logic behind it?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I have no idea... I had noticed it a few days ago when I parked on a steep hill and I used the parking brake. I wasn't sure why it did that - but the same thing about 45 minutes ago when I parked on the same hill. Not sure why though... have you looked in the manual?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Racer

Yes, I wrote so in the original message :-)

It's more explicit about how to turn DRL back on rather than make it stay off. Right now I think that once you've turned the headlights on DRL will come on once you turn your headlights off. We'll see. Worst case I make some blinds that I can stick on the hood with magnets for the last 100 yards. Oh wait! Aluminum hood!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Figures, I should have read your original post again. My skimming over posts is starting to show... lol

Hopefully you find something to work for the situation.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Yes, I wrote so in the original message :-)

It's more explicit about how to turn DRL back on rather than make it stay off. Right now I think that once you've turned the headlights on DRL will come on once you turn your headlights off. We'll see. Worst case I make some blinds that I can stick on the hood with magnets for the last 100 yards. Oh wait! Aluminum hood!
There is no way you can do it through user configuration, that's why you didn't find it in the manual. I had the same experience pulling into a star party but not much I could do.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Advanced

If you set your lights to the "auto" setting where they come on and off depending on ambient lighting, day time running lights don't come on.

When in the auto position, you never need to turn lights on or off...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Racer

Well the problem is that I need to be able to drive in the dark without DRLs or headlights on. Once the switch is in 'auto' the DRLs won't be on during the day but I don't care about that. I don't want them to come on once I turn off the lights while driving in the dark. Covering them up is probably the only solution.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Advanced

You do have an unusual situation, but good luck.

Be sure to report the resolution when you find it...

P
Old 10-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by paul_philly
If you set your lights to the "auto" setting where they come on and off depending on ambient lighting, day time running lights don't come on.

I'm not sure of that. My light switch is always in the auto position and the DRLs are on? DRLs are designed to do just that. Be daytime running lights. Not sure why would the auto position would defeat that?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
I'm not sure of that. My light switch is always in the auto position and the DRLs are on? DRLs are designed to do just that. Be daytime running lights. Not sure why would the auto position would defeat that?
For a moment I thought WOW, someone figured out how to keep the DRLs off during the day - I have a thing against them, but no such luck I tried to pull the fuse off and they went off but I got a big warning on the info panel alerting me of the problem.

Every time I've changed the oil and I have lifted the front of the car to do so, the DRLs go off for a while afterwards - they seem to come on again the second time I turn the car on I would love to figure out a way to turn them off without getting the warning on the instrument panel - does anyone know how to do it?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
For a moment I thought WOW, someone figured out how to keep the DRLs off during the day - I have a thing against them, but no such luck I tried to pull the fuse off and they went off but I got a big warning on the info panel alerting me of the problem.

Every time I've changed the oil and I have lifted the front of the car to do so, the DRLs go off for a while afterwards - they seem to come on again the second time I turn the car on I would love to figure out a way to turn them off without getting the warning on the instrument panel - does anyone know how to do it?
I guess to each his own. I think the DRLs are a great safety feature. Coming out of the shadows on a twisting mountain road are a great example. Or even someone just pulling out of a shaded intersection.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Instructor

I guess to each his own. I think the DRLs are a great safety feature. Coming out of the shadows on a twisting mountain road are a great example. Or even someone just pulling out of a shaded intersection.
You are right, to each his own. I don't think they add to safety. Someone not turning his lights on at night because they think they are on and the rear safety lights not going on because of it is another example - about a month ago I almost rear ended someone on a mountain road because of that. Once all cars are equipped with DRLs then we will not notice them anymore. All I get is annoying glare on my rear view mirror from others with DRLs.

I wish Acura, like Mercedes, would give you a choice of having them on - for you, and a choice to turn them off if I wish to - for me.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Racer

It would be nice if there was an option to turn it of. I don't like it when cars do too much of the thinking. Like turning on the AC when wanting to defog the windshield. I turn on my headlights when the viz is even the slightest bit degraded. Most people won't even turn them on when they have a low sun in their backs. *Clueless* to the fact that they just became invisible. All they worry about is how well they can see. Not whether other people can see them. One of my pet peeves.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Unemployed or retired?

It would be nice if there was an option to turn it of. I don't like it when cars do too much of the thinking. Like turning on the AC when wanting to defog the windshield. I turn on my headlights when the viz is even the slightest bit degraded. Most people won't even turn them on when they have a low sun in their backs. *Clueless* to the fact that they just became invisible. All they worry about is how well they can see. Not whether other people can see them. One of my pet peeves.
The air conditoning comes on to quickly remove humidity. It is very effective and is on every auto control system I have seen.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Racer

Well I know why it's there and I agree that it helps But it's not always needed. What I actually meant to write was when I turn on recirc in the S4 it turns on the AC right away. Thankfully it has an 'econ' button that disables the AC pump but keeps the rest automatic. Unless it gets really hot I typically drive without AC. In the RL I've disabled the AC as well but I'm not sure if it still adjusts fan speed based on external temps and desired temps. I miss that 'econ' button.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Racer

Ok, it turns out if you pull fuse #3 from the driver's side fuse box the DRLs are disabled. Of course the RL is smart and detects there's a problem and nags you about it. I may install a switch to disable DRL without pulling the fuse, not sure yet. Anyway, this isn't a great permanent solution but if the occasion calls for it (star party in my case) it's completely acceptable.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Ok, it turns out if you pull fuse #3 from the driver's side fuse box the DRLs are disabled. Of course the RL is smart and detects there's a problem and nags you about it. I may install a switch to disable DRL without pulling the fuse, not sure yet. Anyway, this isn't a great permanent solution but if the occasion calls for it (star party in my case) it's completely acceptable.
I think a switch anywhere in the circuit would interrupt it and the RL would detect "the problem" and give you the big warning. This would not be much more convenient than pulling the fuse occasionally. What I and some others are looking for is a permanent solution so we can turn off the DRLs and not get the warning on the instrument panel. If you ever come up with a solution like that please post it.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to do this?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Racer

a) yes a switch would still cause the RL to detect it. There's obviously no difference between the two methods as far as the RL is concerned.
b) having a switch is tons more convenient than pulling a fuse. I can do it while driving. Pulling a fuse means stopping the car and getting on your knees with pliers or a puller to remove the fuse.
c) a 'real' solution is going to be hard as you have to fake a current through the bulbs when this is none. Someone with more incentive will have to come up with that one. Once I have the switch I'm set.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Unemployed or retired?

a) yes a switch would still cause the RL to detect it. There's obviously no difference between the two methods as far as the RL is concerned.
b) having a switch is tons more convenient than pulling a fuse. I can do it while driving. Pulling a fuse means stopping the car and getting on your knees with pliers or a puller to remove the fuse.
c) a 'real' solution is going to be hard as you have to fake a current through the bulbs when this is none. Someone with more incentive will have to come up with that one. Once I have the switch I'm set.

Just figure out the current draw of the bulbs and replace them with resistors that matche the current draw. They would be some pretty hefty resistors but that would do it. You could also paint the bulbs black with some high temp paint that would cut the light way down,

But for the life of me I can't figure out why you would want to turn off such a valuable safety feature. There is all kinds of times when it helps to let people know that you are on the road way before they would see you with the lights off.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Racer

DRL uses the high beam bulbs. Can't paint those black nor replace them with a resistor. If you'd like to know why I want to disable DRL at times simply read my original message. When I attend star parties (astronomy events) I don't want to ruin the night vision of my friends. So with my solution (it's not built yet) I can turn of DRL before I pull into the parking lot and turn it back on when I leave.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Unemployed or retired?

DRL uses the high beam bulbs. Can't paint those black nor replace them with a resistor. If you'd like to know why I want to disable DRL at times simply read my original message. When I attend star parties (astronomy events) I don't want to ruin the night vision of my friends. So with my solution (it's not built yet) I can turn of DRL before I pull into the parking lot and turn it back on when I leave.
Why not push the emergency brake down one click?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Racer

While driving? I hadn't considered that but it seems a bit error prone, no?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Unemployed or retired?

While driving? I hadn't considered that but it seems a bit error prone, no?
Put your car on a slight grade and try one click. If it continues to roll you have no actual brake engagement.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Put your car on a slight grade and try one click. If it continues to roll you have no actual brake engagement.
I'm certainly no expert here, but I still think there's some risk. There can actually be a fair amount of brake engagement and the car can still roll. This seems like a great way to really smoke your brakes if you're not quite careful. Trading no DRL for warped rotors seems like a bad deal to me.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Racer

It would be acceptable for me if it meant I could drive on/off a parking lot without my DRLs. I'm going very very slowly in that case anyway. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by scottj
I'm certainly no expert here, but I still think there's some risk. There can actually be a fair amount of brake engagement and the car can still roll. This seems like a great way to really smoke your brakes if you're not quite careful. Trading no DRL for warped rotors seems like a bad deal to me.
If you have engagement on the first click you are already at risk. That menas any real cold day could have the brakes engaging just from cold contraction. I would hope there is a lot more play than that.

Also rotors rarely, if ever, truly warp:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Finally the requested solution was for somebody rolling up on an astronomy event. Not a cross country tour.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Actually, this may be the way to go to "fix" the "problem" without too much trouble. Wouldn't the parking brake warning light come on at this setting? If so, this would be no better than just pulling the fuse and living with the DRL warning light.

I also believe that if the car rolls (easily) you have no brake engagement. On the subject of warped rotors: the term describes the deposit of brake pad material on the disc produced by (among many other variables) a sudden increase on brake pad/rotor temperature due to sudden and heavy braking. Even if the parking brake is lightly engaged with one click it would not produce "warped" rotors, it would just wear the pad material until there was no longer contact at that setting.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
Actually, this may be the way to go to "fix" the "problem" without too much trouble. Wouldn't the parking brake warning light come on at this setting? If so, this would be no better than just pulling the fuse and living with the DRL warning light.

Actually it would be a little better as you would have the DRLs back immediately for regular driving which is the situation, I beleive, Nocturnal was describing.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Actually it would be a little better as you would have the DRLs back immediately for regular driving which is the situation, I beleive, Nocturnal was describing.
Yes, but I want a permanent "fix". No more DRLs for me!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone truly figured out how to disable the drl without getting the warning message on the mid?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 PM
It ain't mine.

I am currently working on this right now,this vehicle has a drl module under the dash that controls them.So far through the wiring diagrams I believe the white wire from the module goes to the high beam circuit.I am going to try and cut this wire and install a led light in line and tuck them under the hood somewhere.I will post with my findings as soon as I get some time to start cutting.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fredren
has anyone truly figured out how to disable the drl without getting the warning message on the mid?
I have HIDs in my DRL. I get warning 50/50 when the switch is in the off position.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by shill1234
I am currently working on this right now,this vehicle has a drl module under the dash that controls them.So far through the wiring diagrams I believe the white wire from the module goes to the high beam circuit.I am going to try and cut this wire and install a led light in line and tuck them under the hood somewhere.I will post with my findings as soon as I get some time to start cutting.
i searched and found any thread saying it's the white wire also, and it's a 2v line. All you have to do is either cut the wire or unplug it the pin and tape off the ends. Search is your friend, cause don't bother asking some other members they'll just ignore you. I am going to try this on one of the next couple weekends as i am working on a headlight project.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Has anyone tried this recently? Specifically post 7

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/share-any-secret-tech-adjustment-tweeks-our-rl-acura-techs-tell-497497/
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 AM
It ain't mine.

Originally Posted by Chas2
Has anyone tried this recently? Specifically post 7

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497497
Sorry about that,I did a search ,but I guess not thorough enough.I was too quick to jump on the thread wagon.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=disable+drl

look at post #6
Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 AM
It ain't mine.

I have just attempted to do the mod per the recommended posts.And as soon as I started the car I got the check drl system , so I believe that this way does not work either.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Have you tried pressing the "stealth" button?

Quick Reply: How do I disable DRL?