Honda Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Honda Power Steering Fluid

Just how critical is the power steering fluid to the RL? I read that it is critical to use only Honda PS fluid? True?
I am wondering if the fluid I put is not compatible with the p/s pump and is making the noise I hear when I turn the wheel? It is a chirping sound only when making the initial turn.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I know Honda's are very sensitive when it comes to the power steering fluid. I don't know if it would cause a chirp by putting in a different kind of fluid, does it sound like the chirp could be the serpentine belt?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I know Honda's are very sensitive when it comes to the power steering fluid. I don't know if it would cause a chirp by putting in a different kind of fluid, does it sound like the chirp could be the serpentine belt?
THe belt and tensioner were replaced as the first step to eleminate any possible slipping.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by alfadoctor
THe belt and tensioner were replaced as the first step to eleminate any possible slipping.
make sure there are no leaks. Or air bubbles introduced. If you steering Is just noisy. Replace fluid and noise will most probably be gone.
I usually unclamp a hose at the bottom.. with car jacked up.with engine off Turn the steering wheel from left to right all the way. This way most fluid escapes. When one wheel is jacked up its much easier to turn the steering wheel from side to side

Honda ps fluid is not too expensive. Like 4-5$.
And u only need like half a quart. If your steering is hard then I'd think about looking for problems. I think it's low fluid or its all bubled up. Several hondas had service bulletin to replace a ps fluid reservoir That introduced air into the system.

Transmission fluid is worth saving on. Valvoline maxlife seems to be a better performer and 1/3 of the price for non synthetic inferior fluid from dealer. I've heard a lot about maxlife and used myself.

Last edited by MrVtech; 12-29-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I second the air in the system idea, especially if the belt has been changed.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
The fluid doesn't have to be Honda brand. It just has to use the Honda formula. All race shops carry some brand of Honda compatible fluid. All I have ever heard about the topic is that it is very important to use the Honda formula. I haven't heard what the consequence is, but I assumed it was because everyone uses the right fluid given the similar price.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Pro

Back in July I replaced the radiator and topped it off with Dexron V ps fluid. That is the latest and greatest as they say. Until the other day I never had any issues until we made the trip to Disneyland, about 700 mile one way. THe car handles just fine, but you can hear a chirping sound. Just made a 50 mile r/t to town and it occasionally made a noise. The local Honda dealer says the fluid is $5 a pint. About 3 pints to flush the system. There appears to be no leaks at this point or I would order a seal kit and do it over. I was thinking of flushing the system and see if the issue goes away. When I topped the reservoir after putting in the new radiator I turned the wheel both directions several times to make sure there was no air in the system. The replacement cost is well over $500...$616 at Acurapartswarehouse.com Ouch! RockAuto has rebuilt pumps. So we will see if flushing it cures it or I have to fork out for a replacement.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Pro

Update: I decided that I would swap out the existing fluid from the system and put in Honda compatible oil. A trip to Autozone had lots of fluid but you MUST read the back labels. Most of them say "not compatible with Honda". Only one was usable, pure synthetic (Blue Devil) so I bought two quarts...$26 which was about what I would have spent at the Honda agency for the real deal. After changing out the fluid, there is no difference. The addition of ATF to the fluid back in July when I changed out the radiator, messed up the power steering pump. So I am out to find a replacement. I could get a rebuilt for about $250 off of EBay or opt for a used one from a wreck for about $65. I could get 4 used ones for the price of a rebuilt. Just not sure how good a rebuilt pump is. A new one is over $600. Even from a parts supplier for a new one is $500. Way more than my budget. So until I get a pump the car is off the road because of the noise it makes. Wife is mad at me because I haven't fixed the problem (Happy Wife = Happy Life)
Suggestions?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I replaced our CRV PS pump with one from O'Riellys for less than $200. It had a lifetime warranty.

Also, I've never heard of synthetic Honda fluid. I was thinking about this:

Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
I second the air in the system idea, especially if the belt has been changed.
Hey man - I was wondering if anyone can advise on something I noticed:
​​​​​​After my recent repairs on my car when steering rack was replaced, I had power steering fluid flushed as part of the work and I used genuine Acura ps fluid. So, u til all the work was done, I had no noises from ps pump whatsoever... Work done, all installed and fluid flushed, I now have somewhat of a noise when I turn left and right, most when turning the eheel and not moving... Not too loud, but I can hear it for sure and I know it was not there...

1. Should I go for re-flush of the fluid to the dealer?
2. Is it possible pump is giving out slowly considering rack was replaced and I no longer have ps fluid slow leak (which wad one of the reasons rack was bad and needed replacement)?
3. I think RL recall they had on PS fluid reservoir caused the failure of the rack, because at some point first owner had someone (dealer, mechanic, himself) replace inner tie rod rub er boot replaced to hide the slow leak...

What do you recommend doing?

PS If my mechanic did not do something right what would that be: something allowed air in during the install or something else?!

Thanks all!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

The rack was replaced, but the pump is still original?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy
The rack was replaced, but the pump is still original?
Yes, pump is still original. I owned the car for over 5 years before I had the rack replaced and never needed to add PS fluid during that time, so leak was very very minor, and lasted for at least 2-3 years before I got the car...

weird part is that there was no noise before rack replacement, but once they glushed it, it is now there... I keep thinking they did not know how to properly flush the PS system and it has air in line somewhere.... dunno, might be wrong too... was hoping not to shell out addtl money for pwr str pump replacement...
Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm willing to bet your PS pump needs to be rebuilt. If you can DIY, rockstar has a great write up. Me, I just go to the local parts store. Shouldn't cost you more than $300. If you need it installed too, I bet an indie shop could do it for $100.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I'm willing to bet your PS pump needs to be rebuilt. If you can DIY, rockstar has a great write up. Me, I just go to the local parts store. Shouldn't cost you more than $300. If you need it installed too, I bet an indie shop could do it for $100.
Thanks - that seems to be the safest and the best approach :/ oh well, considering the cost of the OEM part, after-market may be it
Old 01-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Pro

I bought a used pump from a EBay retailer and installed it today. The pump looked to be brand new. I still have a noise coming from the belt area. I dug around my garage and in various boxes from when me moved a year ago until I found my stethoscope. I cranked the wheels both directions to full lock and got the noise I was listening for. My wife moved the wheel while I was searching for the noise. The belt tensioner and bearing were replaced, the power steering pump was replaced, and everything was quiet. What is left? The stethoscope says that it is an alternator bearing (201,000 miles). It must be the front bearing.

My wife is ticked at me for not finding the problem and not able to drive the car.

I ordered a rebuilt alternator and will in stall it tomorrow. I hope it isn't a big job to get in there to get it out.

While I am in there I am going to flush the fluid from the system today.
rlx015 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Pro

Well, I was seriously wrong in my last post. Hence the tomato in the face. I flushed the system of the power steering fluid. I decided I would rediagnose the problem. What got me to thinking is that when the AC is turned on the noise shows up. Turn it off the noise goes away. I crawled up under the car and listened to the AC compressor. It isn't the compressor it is in the clutch. Clutch in...noise...clutch out...no noise. Can I get a new clutch...no. The clutch comes attached to a new compressor. Dang, now I have to take it into have it replaced. Napa has a new one for $507. Rock Auto has one for $307. This thread is now closed as far as I am concerned. Off to find out what it will cost to install the compressor and recharge it.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure you CAN buy just the A/C clutch/field coil. I bought one and it cost me about $110.00. Installing it was a bit of a pain in the ass though.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nemick
I'm pretty sure you CAN buy just the A/C clutch/field coil. I bought one and it cost me about $110.00. Installing it was a bit of a pain in the ass though.
That would be a great source to know where to get just that part. Everywhere I checked shows just a new compressor.
I am going to start another thread as I am deviating from my original post about the fluid. I now have nice clear fluid in the system.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alfadoctor
That would be a great source to know where to get just that part. Everywhere I checked shows just a new compressor.
I am going to start another thread as I am deviating from my original post about the fluid. I now have nice clear fluid in the system.
I bought the A/C clutch/field coil/stator set from oemacuraparts.com. Part number for what I bought was

38924RJAA01

I would advise that you give them a cal and verify before purchase. Here's a link to the page on their website

STATOR SET for 2005 Acura RL SEDAN 38924-RJA-A01 : Acura Parts OEM Acura Parts Factory Acura Parts
alfadoctor (02-02-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Pro

I started another thread about a squeak and vibration. The problem turns out to not be the power steering pump or fluid. The problem turns out to be a bad harmonic balancer. It had slipped enough to make the belt squeak and the balancer moved some more the other day to great a big vibration in the engine. At this point if it sounds like power steering issues, check the harmonic balancer.
Thank you to everyone who posted with suggestions. I appreciate the help!
projektvertx (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My Acura dealer uses the BG power steering fluid - so I'm not sure the replacement fluid needs to be Honda. That said if you are doing it yourself, and you pay the extra for the Honda power steering fluid. It's still going to be cheaper then paying some shop/dealership to do it.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ronvanr
My Acura dealer uses the BG power steering fluid - so I'm not sure the replacement fluid needs to be Honda. That said if you are doing it yourself, and you pay the extra for the Honda power steering fluid. It's still going to be cheaper then paying some shop/dealership to do it.
BG makes excellent products. Working at the dealerships we used to put in one can of the BG injector cleaner after a major tune up. As to the power steering fluid, it might be synthetic like the Honda/Acura fluid. Only by reading the label will you know for sure.