High rpm. P2279 p0507 after head gasket job. Throttle body clean

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
High rpm. P2279 p0507 after head gasket job. Throttle body clean

I believe the problem is caused by cleaning throttle body. Idle rpm are around 850-900 rpm mostly.
Yesterday rpm at idle kind of "snapped" and were like 1200rpm after 1 hour drive. And that's when I got the codes. Had no codes after head gasket job
After head gasket I had about 800 miles of driving with 850-900 rpm idle. Sometimes idle drops to 800rpm. But normally it's dead on 850

I am aware that you should not open drive by wire throttle bodies. And yes I still did it) from mechanical stand point I did not think anything will break.

1) I removed throttle body and removed the plastic cover to see if any of the gearing teeth are broken. Everything is intact.

2) I did throttle body relearn. Warm up the engine. unPlug Battery For 5 min. Plug it back in. Put ignition in on position for 2 seconds. Start the car with all electronics off and let it idle for 10 min.

Pcv valve is new.. I don't hear any vacuum/intake leaks. Could there be any other non mechanical damage/change in throttle body That would cause these high rpm?

It's a honda odyssey 2009 with acura rl 2006 cylinder heads in it, pre cat deletes and high flow catalytic converter. Would lower back pressure cause such things? I've done pre cat deletes on same cat before and no issues with idle rpm
Old 02-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrVtech
I believe the problem is caused by cleaning throttle body. Idle rpm are around 850-900 rpm mostly.
Yesterday rpm at idle kind of "snapped" and were like 1200rpm after 1 hour drive. And that's when I got the codes. Had no codes after head gasket job
After head gasket I had about 800 miles of driving with 850-900 rpm idle. Sometimes idle drops to 800rpm. But normally it's dead on 850

I am aware that you should not open drive by wire throttle bodies. And yes I still did it) from mechanical stand point I did not think anything will break.

1) I removed throttle body and removed the plastic cover to see if any of the gearing teeth are broken. Everything is intact.

2) I did throttle body relearn. Warm up the engine. unPlug Battery For 5 min. Plug it back in. Put ignition in on position for 2 seconds. Start the car with all electronics off and let it idle for 10 min.

Pcv valve is new.. I don't hear any vacuum/intake leaks. Could there be any other non mechanical damage/change in throttle body That would cause these high rpm?

It's a honda odyssey 2009 with acura rl 2006 cylinder heads in it, pre cat deletes and high flow catalytic converter. Would lower back pressure cause such things? I've done pre cat deletes on same cat before and no issues with idle rpm
quick update for Google searcher. Basically it took around 400 miles for computer to relearn throttle body. Once it's unplugged it becomes a foreigner. . Or illegal immigrant..and it takes some time to get assimilated back to the machine. If you experience erratic idle after 400-500 miles probably a tooth in gearing mechanism snapped inside throttle body.. assimilation didn't happen.. in other words put that throttle body against a wall and shoot in the back of its head. It's undesirable. Too costly to repair.
There is a faster way to use some computer to reset throttle body. But I didn't have time for that. I read similar stories about other hondas where people unplugged throtle body and experienced exact same symptoms as I. That throttle body relearn trick didn't work. (Unplug battery, then let car idle for 10 min after warm up)

Last edited by MrVtech; 02-25-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Basically initially problem was.. when your vehicle is in D or N and u hit gas pedal a little. Rpm go up to say 2000. Then drop to 1000 then go up to 1500 and only them slowly drop to 800..
Now idle is at 750. And rpm drops right away without fluctuations or any shit of that sort
Old 02-26-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I just installed a 3.7 IM/TB & didn't have an issue at all with the car relearning the new setup.

Disconnected the battery, removed IM/TB, reinstalled new IM/TB, reconnected battery and just let the car run. Been perfect ever since
Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Instructor

So I am not politically affiliated. Was under the influence when writing posts above.

As far as throttle body I carefully slowly opened the plate to clean inside. When it closed it was opened s little more than originally.