Notices

Help with rear trunk spoiler installation

 
Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
nemarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Age: 37
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with rear trunk spoiler installation

Does anyone know how to install trunk OEM spoiler?

Thanks in advance
nemarl is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
  #2  
The Doctor
 
UW RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Bellevue, WA
Age: 42
Posts: 2,024
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get some 3M double-sided tape from Home Depot and stick it on the trunk.

That's what I would do if I got the lip spoiler


Originally Posted by nemarl
Does anyone know how to install trunk OEM spoiler?

Thanks in advance
UW RL is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 3,623
Received 299 Likes on 190 Posts
Got mine installed at the dealer for $279 (part & labor). I need to take back - tech dropped a nut inside the trund lid and it rattles each time I open the trunk. Looks like they used tape also.
miner is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
vluu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Age: 47
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UW RL
get some 3M double-sided tape from Home Depot and stick it on the trunk.

That's what I would do if I got the lip spoiler
Do you worry that the 3M will give way over time? I'm thinking about installing it myself and would rather not drill if I could avoid it. Some close up pictures would be helpful as well.

thanks
vluu is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
nemarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Age: 37
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind drilling holes in my trunk since my spoiler will stay on as long as the car's running, but I do mind drilling holes in wrong places.
Has anyone done drills here? If you did, how? I feel like 3M tape won't be good enough
to hold the spoiler. Maybe it is...
nemarl is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 PM
  #6  
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.
 
bkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 46
Posts: 616
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did ours and it wasnt that hard. But then again, I did not upgrade the trunk shocks during the installation.

Measure twice and drill once. I had my wife eyeball and double check alignment, a unibit to make the holes, and touch up paint afterwards to thwart any rusting.

Take your time and follow the directions.

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...5rlspoiler.pdf

bkw is offline  
Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
jkuniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the spoiler myself and I decided to drill instead of using the tapes since the spoiler wasn't going to be coming off. Just as bkw stated, measure twice and drill once - take your time and follow the instruction (except for disconnecting the battery- no need for that imho), and there is no rust issues since the trunk lid is made out of aluminum. No leakage issues either since the gaskets are also provided for the holes. The Honda/Acura instructions are very clear and easy to follow. In fact, the installation of the spoiler was actually easier than the replacing the trunk lid shocks that came with it. It requires that you take the inside panels off to get to the shocks and some of the clips wouldn't come off easily. Anyway, I had fun installing the spoilers and it came out perfect...just like the picture posted by btw - (mine is white also) I hope it helps.
jkuniverse is offline  
Old 11-17-2006, 12:23 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
nemarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Age: 37
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get that installation instruction?
I need a copy
nemarl is offline  
Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
nemarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Age: 37
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need a copy of that instruction..that link bkw doesn' work

anyone got a copyu?

ma fax # 201 484 0155

Thanks in advance
nemarl is offline  
Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
  #10  
AcurAdmirer
 
Mike_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 3,004
Received 351 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuniverse
I installed the spoiler myself and I decided to drill instead of using the tapes since the spoiler wasn't going to be coming off. Just as bkw stated, measure twice and drill once - take your time and follow the instruction (except for disconnecting the battery- no need for that imho), and there is no rust issues since the trunk lid is made out of aluminum. No leakage issues either since the gaskets are also provided for the holes. The Honda/Acura instructions are very clear and easy to follow. In fact, the installation of the spoiler was actually easier than the replacing the trunk lid shocks that came with it. It requires that you take the inside panels off to get to the shocks and some of the clips wouldn't come off easily. Anyway, I had fun installing the spoilers and it came out perfect...just like the picture posted by btw - (mine is white also) I hope it helps.
So are they saying the extra weight of the spoiler makes new trunklid struts necessary? Surely not.

But if they include the struts with the spoiler, maybe that explains why it costs so much. My dealer told me it was something like $800 installed, and that was supposedly with the part at cost.
.
.
Mike_TX is offline  
Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
jkuniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
So are they saying the extra weight of the spoiler makes new trunklid struts necessary? Surely not.

But if they include the struts with the spoiler, maybe that explains why it costs so much. My dealer told me it was something like $800 installed, and that was supposedly with the part at cost.
.
.
Mike_Tx, the new(stronger) struts are included in the spoiler package just like listed items/parts in the instruction. I first installed the spoiler without the struts to see if additional weight of the spoiler had any noticeable effect on it. After a few days of opening and closing of the trunk, it felt like the trunk lid got heavier and heavier, and it could not stay a half way open etc...so I decided to change out the struts and it turned out just right...which explains why they are sold as a package. I paid around $310 including shipping from one of the ebay Acura dealers. The $800 installed is pretty steep imho...I guess that's why they're called "stealers".

nemarl, the link works ok for me...try again, it should work as long as you have the pdf reader.
jkuniverse is offline  
Old 11-18-2006, 07:34 AM
  #12  
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.
 
bkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 46
Posts: 616
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mine without the upgraded struts and the trunk works perfectly fine.
bkw is offline  
Old 11-18-2006, 02:04 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
nemarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Age: 37
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, I installed the spoiler today

and it's beatiful!~

I didn't upgrade strusts either, it's works perfect
nemarl is offline  
Old 11-18-2006, 03:40 PM
  #14  
The Doctor
 
UW RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Bellevue, WA
Age: 42
Posts: 2,024
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is another thread regarding "drill-less" spoiler installation

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=spoiler
UW RL is offline  
Old 05-30-2019, 12:28 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 351
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
"drill-less" spoiler installation link above is dead. Can someone point me to it, I can't seem to find it, searched all over. Getting one delivered today! Thanks!!
Walfunk is offline  
Old 06-01-2019, 07:30 AM
  #16  
Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
projektvertx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van Buren Township, MI
Age: 29
Posts: 2,459
Received 517 Likes on 420 Posts
projektvertx is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
o8 ENVII 8o
Car Parts for Sale
19
11-30-2015 04:23 PM
nanos
Car Parts for Sale
26
11-12-2015 08:41 PM
DiamondJoeQuimby
Car Parts for Sale
1
09-10-2015 11:40 AM
Yumcha
Automotive News
2
09-04-2015 08:03 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with rear trunk spoiler installation


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.