Having drive train problems (whine and emissions)??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having drive train problems (whine and emissions)??

I am getting messages on the MID and the transmission has a whine.

Last night I had two messages in the MID and two trouble lights lite: AWD-SH not working (or something to that effect), and Check Emission System.
This morning one message is showing Check Emission System.
At one point last night for a short period there was also a Charging System Not Working Properly message(or something to that effect) but that cleared after 30 seconds.

The more concerning issue is that the transmission/transfer case is has a high pitch whine. I heard the whine one other time about 2 weeks ago (no messages, and it resolved itself until last night). I selected AWDSH display on the MID and it claims all wheels are being utilized so at least the logic is working. But why would the emission system be tied to whatever is causing the transmission to whine?

Last month I had a battery problem and had a problem with the transmission and then the car shut off, the dealer claimed they tightened the terminal at the battery to solve the problem.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:03 AM
10th Gear

2006 RL
Is this a battery, power problem? Is there a way to easily determine the culprit?
I had to spend $460 to tighten the battery terminal, and don't want to have that experience again.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
it might be your battery or alternator is on the way out. Transmission whine is normal, mine has slight whine too especially in 1st gear around 3k-5k RPM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 PM
10th Gear

The battery is new. The alternator was tested last month $200 charged for that “saervice”. The whining started when lights came on when the emissions, SHAWD and charging warnings all came on. Not just the same day, but the same second.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
godly $200 for checking alternator? I would say check to see your transfer case fluid is low for the whine.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM
10th Gear

I had the car parts store put a voltage tester on the battery and it was low. The output was 10.8v, and the input from the alternator was 12.3 versus a typical 14.5v.

The transmission seems to be making odds shifts from first gear. It that a voltage problem or another unrelated problem.

I am going to have a mechanic look at the alternator and likely replace it. I would prefer it to be a battery since that is under warranty.

Any suggestions for other work to be done at this time?

Transmission fluid filter replace?
Coolant replace?
Differential fluid replace?
Transfer case fluid replace?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My alternator went out 4 times (the forth one seems to be holding up for a couple years) every time the symptoms were more and more warnings popping up as i drive (they seemed random and not related)

Keep in mind that SH-AWD warning is sort of a limp mode thing. Every time you have a new diagnostic code pop out the computer will try to disable SH-AWD (limp mode)

since you asked about what else to do during alternator replacement you should follow the owners manual- rear diff needs fluid changed every 15k miles (both diff and clutch) then you have the trans and transfer case fluids... did you check the trans fluid level for the atrange shifts?

how many miles you got? Whats the maintenance history on it?

Last edited by Karol; 11-12-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirk Otis
2006 RL. I had to spend $460 to tighten the battery terminal, and don't want to have that experience again.
Originally Posted by Kirk Otis
The battery is new. The alternator was tested last month $200 charged for that “saervice”.
Please change where you fix your car.

Please.