Hard gear change and shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 04:29 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard gear change and shuddering

Hi Guys,

I have been an owner of Honda Legend Kb1 (Europe Acura RL) for some time, and I get an issue with my gearbox.
Looking for some advice, what it could be.

When I drive on 4th or 5th gear it gets shudder, when it has 1500-1700rps, when I just a little bit push pedal gas it stops - I read about it, I found some info that it could be a torque converter. And also I found some info that sometimes update of ECU solves the issue, anyone has the same problem?

The 2nd thing, hard shifting and jumping rps - when I drive on 4th or 5th gear let's say 1500rps, sometimes rps jumps to 1700rps (still the same speed) and then back to 1500 rps with the feeling that car changed gear, but it didn't. Also I found some info that it could be a problem with Lock Up in the gearbox. Any solution for this??

I checked ECU errors and there is nothing about gearbox...
Ah I also changed a liquid to Honda DW1 - 2 times, nothing has been changed...

Thank you a lot for any adivce (sorry for my english )
Old 07-06-2018, 02:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Going by your descriptions, it does sound like torque converter issues. Honda refers to the feeling as a judder...which is basically the lock up clutch slipping. The lock up clutch inside the converter is a common failure point for Honda V6 transmissions. While your vehicle may need a software update (the only way to know is to take it to a dealer and have them check the software version ID), it most likely will not help you at this point. Honda issues these updates with the intention of getting them installed before problems occur, not after. Once the physical damage is done, it cannot be reversed. Still, it will not hurt to have them check. I do not know what kind of mileage you have or how long this has been going on, but realistically you are probably looking at complete transmission replacement (or rebuild). Yes you can replace just the torque converter, but that may only be a temporary fix. When the converters start to come apart internally, all the debris makes its way into the transmission itself. It clogs up the filters and valve body ports, starving the other internals of proper fluid flow, lubrication and pressure, rapidly increasing wear.

I definitely recommend getting a dealer or someone very familiar with Honda transmissions to drive and assess the vehicle. But unfortunately, be prepared for the worst.
The following users liked this post:
BartKrt (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:56 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for answer!

I have one an idea, according to the service manual there is a possibility to check presure on all clutches.
If I check them and let's say pressure will be the same on all of them, can I say that gearbox is fine? And only torque converter is corrupted?

I need to add one thing, when the liquide is cold the gearbox works fine.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fact that it's better when cold tells me it's losing pressure when it warms up. Checking the pressure to the clutches isn't as easy as it sounds, but if you have the right equipment, then it can't hurt. Even if your pressures are in spec, and it's just a bad converter now, you have to weigh everything out. That debris from the converter went somewhere. Maybe it's all in the filter, but that's still inside the transmission. And as the clutches wear normally, that filter becomes more clogged. And now you have a problem again. Replacing the filter requires an overhaul. So if money is a concern, you can try just a converter. But chances are that transmission will have to come out again in the future.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I experienced similar symptoms as you. I ended it up replacing the pressure switches and it drove nice but still shuddered. So, I checked my sparkplugs and found that the coils are bad causing loss of power resulting in shudder. I will replace the coils tomorrow and will report back. I think it will reaolved my issue, but you should take a look.

I am also writing a DIY for replacing the pressure switches to help folks out too.
The following users liked this post:
nickelrw87 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

Unfortunately on my side is torque converter for sure. I checked all solenoids, if they work and what is the resistance.
Everything is correct according to the service manual.

I'm going to repair converter and check gearbox.
But please let me know if coils help.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I replaced the coil plugs and it solved my issue. the car shuddered at 40 mph + but drove fine in lower speed. the check engine light flashes and would shudder on the highway. when i replaced the ignition coils it fixed my issue. I suggest taking a look at your ignition coils too. it is very easy to do.
here was mine. i ended up replacing all six.

Last edited by HDNBenjamin; 07-25-2018 at 09:59 PM.