Got My RL Back, and New AcuraLink Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob144
Did anyone ever receive a message about the Power Steering Recall? My Acuralink was silent on this, but the website says that recall notices are sent via Acuralink.

The other odd thing is that my Acura Owner's Link does not show a dealer for my RL. Neither the dealer where I have the car serviced, nor the dealer from which the car came appears on the site. I had read that after a service appointment or two, it roll over into the servicing dealer, but that hasn't happened.

Rob144
There definitely is a mixed message coming from CS regarding recall notices via Acuralink. I was not able to access any of the choices for "messages to your onboard device" in Acuralink until I had CS reset my profile.

When I asked about the recall notice, the rep put me on hold for a few minutes
and said according to her manager the recall notices were not sent out via Acuralink
but only via mail.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a service reminder in the MID for an A1 service. I rememeber I was able to go to messages and the system would tell me what was included in the A1 service. I do not get that message anymore. Is that tied to my Acuralink issues as well? You would have thought that would be an internal message.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Have you received any AcuraLink messages? When last? The Dealer Appointment reminder and recall are the most obvious as they can be anticipated and expected.
The only AcuraLink messages I received were the first ones that new owners receive with tidbits about operating various features. Other than that, all quiet, except for the tire pressure advice messages I got last fall.

Maybe things will work if my dealer gets on the "list".

Rob144
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by jfprl
I got a service reminder in the MID for an A1 service. I rememeber I was able to go to messages and the system would tell me what was included in the A1 service. I do not get that message anymore. Is that tied to my Acuralink issues as well? You would have thought that would be an internal message.
I did not get the MID Service reminders for the last year. Now that my AcuraLink is working correctly again, I got my A1 service advice, and yes, it reads the list of service items to be performed.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Rob144
The only AcuraLink messages I received were the first ones that new owners receive with tidbits about operating various features. Other than that, all quiet, except for the tire pressure advice messages I got last fall.

Maybe things will work if my dealer gets on the "list".

Rob144
Houston, we have a problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Based on the thread above, and having never received a recall notice, I called Acura CS. A woman named Christine helped me. We went to my web page and verified settings, then she asked me to make a fictitious appointment over the web, later in the day, after she cleared all settings, then put them back to where they were. Theoretically, I would get the appointment notice. If not, there were some other things she could try, but did not specify what. She gave me a case number.

I just received my appointment notice in the car, so I guess it now works!

Thanks to this thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chas2
Based on the thread above, and having never received a recall notice, I called Acura CS. A woman named Christine helped me. We went to my web page and verified settings, then she asked me to make a fictitious appointment over the web, later in the day, after she cleared all settings, then put them back to where they were. Theoretically, I would get the appointment notice. If not, there were some other things she could try, but did not specify what. She gave me a case number.

I just received my appointment notice in the car, so I guess it now works!

Thanks to this thread.
I got the 08 RL Acura Link software update letter in the mail and made an appt for this thursday. Hopefully they can also fix the annoying rear parcel shelf rattle.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fstshrk
I got the 08 RL Acura Link software update letter in the mail and made an appt for this thursday. Hopefully they can also fix the annoying rear parcel shelf rattle.
The noise you are referring to may be coming from the sun shade cradle. It has been reported before and was corrected by adding felt in the cradle. If you have the same problem you can verify this by determining if the rattle only happens when the shade is in the down position sitting in the cradle. I just brought my car back from the dealer after reporting this and unfortunately the rattle is still there...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I am not totally sure if my acuralink is working correctly, but here is my situation. I bought my car new in 06 and never received those 30 day new car messages. My XM and NAV traffic wasn't activated either, I actually had to call XM to activate. I already had a owner's link account for my other Honda's and Acura's I previously owned so I just added my RL to the account back in 06 myself. I called CS back in 06 and told them I wasn't getting those messages and they said they will resend but nothing happened. I pretty much let it go until this thread popped up.
I went back in owner's link and looked in my profile but it did not give me the option to choose what messages to send to the vehicle so I called CS about 2 weeks ago. I think I got a loser as he had no clue and insisted that I could not choose what messages I can pick to send via acuralink. He also insisted that a lot of the messages required the datalink to be set up which I do not have. But a few days after that, I started getting the 30 day new car messages. But when I go into my profile in owner's link, I still cannot choose which messages to receive. I am still confused if my acuralink is working correctly. BTW, I am in the same boat with my 08 MDX except I did receive the 30 day new car messages when I first bought it. Sorry for the long post. Mike
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

lausy,
It sounds like your AcuraLink is now working. However, it sounds like your OwnerLink Profile is still not correct since you cannot modifly / persoalize your AcuraLink selections. And yes, there is inconsistent knowledge with the Acura CS reps.

I might recommend you set up a TEST dealer appointmemt and verify the appointment reminder is sent to the car (and advise your dealer). Of course you have to set your Ownerlink profile to send you dealer appointment reminders!

Now to complicate matters more, OwnerLink will soon be replaced by My Acura. Supposedly your profile will carry over and require no log on or profile changes. But until you see the AcuraLink selections on your current profile, I would say your profile is not set up completely.

The key though, is that the communication channel is open between the AcuraLink servers and your car! I wonder however, how much is an issue with Ownerlink being properly set up vs. hardware issues (as my AcuraLink reciever was replaced).

I say keep rying Acura CS until you are staisfied OwnerLink (soon My Acura) is correct. Then make dealer apointments online and you will know AcuraLink is working when you get reminders.

As far as the dependency on DataLink / cell phone configuration...that is crap for the most part. To recieve simple AcuraLink messages a DataLink is NOT required. DataLink serves for sending and receiving diagnostics to the carusing your data capable cell phone as a modem to / from XM-AcuraLink. Frankly, Ihave never read where someone actually experienced this and have no idea how to test it either. But for simple inbound AcuraLink messages to your car (Feature Advice, Quick Tips, Dealer Appointment Reminders, Recall Notices, etc) you do not even need a cell phone paired to the car.

I found it a challenge to educate myself to this system since so few people undertand it (including Acura!). BUT, now that I understand it, I do not get (or allow) any run around or deflection from Acura CS.

This is a crude copy & paste of an expanded AcuraLink profile selection from my OwnerLink Profile Page. It is basicall check boxes next to the below features. I have them all checked.

AcuraLinkTM Preferences
Messages to Your Onboard Device

Messages Sent to Your 2006 Acura w/NavigationRL
Feature Guide
Diagnostic Info
Quick Tips
Campaigns / Recalls
Maintenance Minders

Send Appointment Reminders to my vehicle 1 Day in advance

Originally Posted by lausy
I am not totally sure if my acuralink is working correctly, but here is my situation. I bought my car new in 06 and never received those 30 day new car messages. My XM and NAV traffic wasn't activated either, I actually had to call XM to activate. I already had a owner's link account for my other Honda's and Acura's I previously owned so I just added my RL to the account back in 06 myself. I called CS back in 06 and told them I wasn't getting those messages and they said they will resend but nothing happened. I pretty much let it go until this thread popped up.
I went back in owner's link and looked in my profile but it did not give me the option to choose what messages to send to the vehicle so I called CS about 2 weeks ago. I think I got a loser as he had no clue and insisted that I could not choose what messages I can pick to send via acuralink. He also insisted that a lot of the messages required the datalink to be set up which I do not have. But a few days after that, I started getting the 30 day new car messages. But when I go into my profile in owner's link, I still cannot choose which messages to receive. I am still confused if my acuralink is working correctly. BTW, I am in the same boat with my 08 MDX except I did receive the 30 day new car messages when I first bought it. Sorry for the long post. Mike
Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lausy
I am not totally sure if my acuralink is working correctly, but here is my situation. I went back in owner's link and looked in my profile but it did not give me the option to choose what messages to send to the vehicle so I called CS about 2 weeks ago.
I had a similar experience with CS. The first time I called was on a Saturday and the rep sounded like he understood the situation, but all he ended up doing was to change my password, and the acuralink still didn't work (no options).
I called back during the week and luckily connected with a knowledgeable rep who set me up in a matter of minutes. It makes me wonder if the flunkys get the weekend duty

Bottom line, if you don't see the options under 'my profile', you are not set up.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks to Tampa and Rob, I have my profile updated and corrected. It turned out I had 2 accounts on ownerlink and all that information was available on the other account I didn't know about.
Next thing is to test with test appointment to make sure that it is really working.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Racer

I get the messages when I make an appointment. Then last time I took the car in, a couple of weeks ago, I started getting those usability messages. Maybe it was the same time others got them too. How to use certain features in the car. They all of the sudden started coming in again, then stopped..I have never gotten a diagnostic message, but my car only has 15k miles, so I hope I don't see one of those. I might never see one, since I like to keep my cars only like 4 years or so.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Advanced

I picked up my 08 RL from the dealer. The rattle is fixed, it did take them a while to get the new firmware from Acura for the Acura Link unit, but that is also working now.

I had a loaner TSX when the RL was in the shop.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Racer

Update to my Acuralink issues..............

Had my car in for service and the District Service Manager worked with the dealer to figure out why it does not work. After trouble shooting the system, the next step is to replace the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit, based on the trouble codes. I think this involves replacing the fuse box in the drivers kick panel. They are not sure this is the answer but it is the next try. They reset the system both in the car and through client services but to no avail. Everything else checked out fine. I have 5 trouble codes in the XM Hip unit, B1,b2,b3,b4 and b5.

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by jfprl
Update to my Acuralink issues..............

Had my car in for service and the District Service Manager worked with the dealer to figure out why it does not work. After trouble shooting the system, the next step is to replace the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit, based on the trouble codes. I think this involves replacing the fuse box in the drivers kick panel. They are not sure this is the answer but it is the next try. They reset the system both in the car and through client services but to no avail. Everything else checked out fine. I have 5 trouble codes in the XM Hip unit, B1,b2,b3,b4 and b5.

Comments? Suggestions?
I expect you will wind up with a new HIP Unit (XM Receiver). These are not cheap (around $3600). So they are doing due diligence with everything else (and less expensive) before they approve a new HIP unit.

As I had a new HIP unit installed, after some trial and error atempts. I would point out however, mine did not give the advice codes you mention. You mave an ven more unique situation.

Stick at it. Keep contact with your Acura CS rep (mine updated me daily, along wiht the tech). It is kinda fruntrating for you and the tech, but is SHOULD work.

Keep us posted...I know there are other RL owners out there who will benefit from our experiences.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

A nice description of AcuraLink messaging and TWO WAY Telematics...from the source.

ACURALINK™ SATELLITE COMMUNICATION SYSTEM WITH REAL TIME TRAFFIC

The 2005 Acura RL introduces AcuraLink™ satellite communication system with real time traffic. AcuraLink™ allows for two-way communication between Acura and the vehicle, providing customers with the latest information specific to their vehicle. In cases where communication to and from the Acura Telematics server is needed, the owner's Bluetooth cell phone is used (once the owner has enabled its data-transmission function).

AcuraLink™ messages consist of a limited amount of text plus expanded details via Text-To-Speech. Each message is prioritized by importance. High priority messages are displayed immediately upon receipt. Other messages trigger an icon on the RL navigation display. Some low priority messages show up only on vehicle start-up to avoid distraction. In all cases, the RL owner can choose to read or listen to the message immediately, or archive it to be retrieved later.
A wide variety of messages can be sent to the RL, including Maintenance Minder (detailed information regarding your next required maintenance), Quick Tips (information to help you maximize the benefit and enjoyment of RL features), Feature Guide (supplements to the Owner's Manual), Diagnostic Info (detailed information and instruction should an onboard system issue arise), information regarding a service or repair required, and Service Appointment Reminders. The RL owner has complete control over the types of messages they receive. All AcuraLink™ preferences can be set via the Owner Link web site or on-board the RL.
Since the system allows two-way data communication between the RL and the Acura Telematics Server, AcuraLink™ can provide the owner with vital information that previously has been unavailable. For example, if a warning light should appear on the RL instrument panel, AcuraLink™ can be configured to automatically send a trouble code along with the sensor data associated with the fault to the Acura Telematics Server, which analyzes the code, then sends a message back to the RL, such as "A software issue has been detected. It is OK to continue driving. The repair is currently being developed, so you do not need to visit your dealer at this time. You will receive another AcuraLink™ message when it is time to visit your dealer to have the system repaired." This way, the owner knows if a particular fault is serious enough to cancel a trip, if it can be dealt with later or if it requires special driving techniques.

http://www.hondanews.com/search/rele...server&s=acura
Old 03-13-2017, 07:33 PM
6th Gear

Hello. i have problem in my 2005 acura rl
Attached Thumbnails Got My RL Back, and New AcuraLink Unit-img_5292.jpg   Got My RL Back, and New AcuraLink Unit-img_5293.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 07:35 PM
6th Gear

On my screen I do not have access to messages