Future (possible) RL Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future (possible) RL Owner

Hey everyone! My name’s Adam and I live in the Chicago/Aurora area. I am looking at trading in my G35 6MT on a softer ride and am now taking a pretty good look at the 05-06 RL. I was originally planning on just moving up to the M35x but I think I’m liking the interior styling of the RL a little better and the exterior a lot better. The M has a few more features (DVD player, Aux video inputs, cooled seats) but I’m not as certain when it comes to the reliability of the Infiniti when compared with a Honda. Anyone else been in this position when looking for your new car? What made you go with the Acura over all the other options in this category?

Also, with purchasing my first RL, is there anything I should be looking for or avoiding when it comes to picking one out?

Lastly, anyone want to pick up an 06 G35 Sedan with the 6MT and all the options? Black on black with only 28K!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
If you are interested in one, I would get the newest one you can afford, 06 minimum, later production is better, and if you get 07 or newer, avoid the base model and get the technology package. Be aware of what you get if you go for the CMBS/ACC options. Cool technology, that works pretty well in my opinion, but the PAX tires are expensive to replace, and the Michelin PAX Pilot HX MXM4 or PAX X Ice are only tires you can use on the car. If you replace the wheels and tires with conventional technology, there is a software issue to be aware of, which is that the car does not know you do not have PAX tires.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I looked at a lot of cars before I settled on the Acura. I already had an MDX and was veryhappy with that vehicle, our local dealer. the Acura nav system is fantastic...but I haven't seen what is in a new Infiniti...so maybe they are just as good or better?

In theprice point that you can get an 05-06 RL - there is not a lot else out there that is as nice for the same money. that was the biggest factor for me.

the combination of features, safety, reliability, etc - for the money - basically it's an amazing luxury car when you consider bang for the buck.

you could buy a CPO 550i and get a lot "more" car with much more performance, but you'll pay FAR more money. I paid $26,500 for an 06 with only 29k on it in absolutely flawless condition. CPO. I added another 900 for the "wrap" warranty to extend my CPO warranty even further.

the RL is a great car.

if you can afford to get an 07-08 - I would. the 07+ has a backup camera and an aux audio input that the05-06 lack. I was also told the 05s don't have nav traffic capability, but 06+ do. so if you anticipate getting XM and nav traffic info - get an 06+. if you want the backup camera, get an 07+.

09 it went to the new styling.

the RL is a fine car. it is a really well made car. every time we get into the RL, my wife won't stop talking abou thow much nicer it is than her MDX.... how quiet it is, how smooth...

good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
5th Gear

I test drove an CPO 07 RL with 61K on it yesterday and really liked it, except for the tan interior. It had the rear camera on it, but it’s only a camera. The one that’s on the M35 has the distance markers and the trapezoid shape that moves left or right depending on how you have the wheel turned. Is that something that can be turned on and off on the Acura? I was also a little disappointed in the stereo. Is that something that can be upgraded with a bit of know how or is it all pretty integrated and not worth the effort?

As for the navigation, my current Infiniti and the M don’t allow inputs while the car is moving. My fiancé put a Garmin in my car so she could put in destinations while we are driving and absolutely hates the factory unit. I don’t actually use it much. It’s also not a touch screen which I understand the RL is?

I test drove a couple other options too – 525xi, 530i, m35x, S550 (not anywhere close to price range, just for fun - LoL). The BMW didn’t impress me at all. I had a 2002 540i before the G35 and the ride was so much better than the 06’s that I was looking at. M35 seemed like a logical next step. It didn’t really WOW me or anything, but has lots of fun toys in it and seemed comfortable to drive.

The Aux input would be nice, but I’d put that in anyway if the car didn’t come with it so not a deal breaker. As for the rear camera, I saw on the forum somewhere that you can get one off e-bay and do a very similar setup that seems to work alright. I’ve never had one before so it’s not really a deal breaker either. My biggest issue I’ve seen so far is finding the right color combo in what seems like a limited availably of this car. Within 50 miles of me in Chicago, I found like 5 of them – haha!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

The rear camera distance markers and dynamic aiming is not available on the 06-08 RL. The 06 did not come with a camera standard, but plenty of them had it installed as an option, and it is the same camera, though the installation is slightly different position. The 07-08 Tech Package and above come with the camera as standard. It was not standard on the base model, but available as an option, and installs exactly the same as the 06 dealer installed option.

You can use the Acura system while in motion. The Acura nav system is not touch screen, but uses a joystick/knob arrangement which works pretty well. Software is upgradeable to some extent by putting in a new DVD data disk.

The 5.1 sound system is pretty good, so I guess the Infiniti one is better. The best sound comes from DVD-A recordings, which unfortunately looked like it might be the new audio standard in 2003-04 when the car was designed, but is pretty dead now, limited to very few specialty manufacturers. While the 96kHz 24 bit system is superior, it does not seem to matter much these days since everyone is going for low fidelity mp3/aac type recordings.

I am sure you can upgrade the sound system, no matter how deeply integrated, all it takes is money. Some have done that and you can find out what they did on this site.

Regardless of which car you get, there options for iPod and Aux in connections. You can see what people are doing here, as well.

Take your time and wait for the right interior color. I personally would stick with black after living with an ivory interior, and gray leather interiors on other Acuras, Toyotas and Nissans.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
yea you should get the Canadian model. I love mines. I have cooled seats and aux imput
Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rtr
yea you should get the Canadian model. I love mines. I have cooled seats and aux imput
Wouldn't there be a bit of a mess with trying to import it and taxes and such?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There is an aux input on the Canadian cars? Where do I find this on my '06?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
One bit of clarification: the 05 (US) has NavTraffic
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Adam is your G35 coupe Red, are you from CT originally?

Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM
Hey everyone! My name’s Adam and I live in the Chicago/Aurora area. I am looking at trading in my G35 6MT on a softer ride and am now taking a pretty good look at the 05-06 RL. I was originally planning on just moving up to the M35x but I think I’m liking the interior styling of the RL a little better and the exterior a lot better. The M has a few more features (DVD player, Aux video inputs, cooled seats) but I’m not as certain when it comes to the reliability of the Infiniti when compared with a Honda. Anyone else been in this position when looking for your new car? What made you go with the Acura over all the other options in this category?

Also, with purchasing my first RL, is there anything I should be looking for or avoiding when it comes to picking one out?

Lastly, anyone want to pick up an 06 G35 Sedan with the 6MT and all the options? Black on black with only 28K!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BluNosr2
There is an aux input on the Canadian cars? Where do I find this on my '06?
To my knowledge, this feature was not introduced until 2007. It is a 3.5mm (1/4") stereo jack (female) near the power port in the center console. You can easily add one (actually 2) to your 06 with a USASPec unit.

The above is true for the US Spec version, which I would imagine be similar for the Canadian car.