Fully Bolted but what else can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Fully Bolted but what else can I do?

I have done nearly everything I can think of to this RL that I can think of. Jpipe, PCD, Pulley, J37, TB, manifold spacer.. besides adding forced induction.. is there anything else Ican do to this RL? I considered adding a 6MT but its going to be too much trouble and it turns out you cant tune this engine (I did my homework and spoke with Ktuner and it cant be done)

where else can I squeeze some power besides weight reduction? I thought to beef up the 5speed because it sucks but I dont know where to start :/

What can I do? Im borderline considering buying the Porsche Cayenne or FX50S so I need to occupy my car itch because I dont need another car payment lol
Old 07-02-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
When modifying, you need a goal . Dafuck is your goal? Once you know your goal, you can work towards that....

Saying, I just want to mod is so fucking broad.
There's a million things you can do.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 PM

And why not weight reduction???
Ricky Bobby's no good father said..... If you ain't first... You're last
Old 07-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Racer

lol I daily drive my RL I need my seats I need everything in my car I'm not trying to ghetto my car out by taking out the leather or whatever I can find it's a waste of time.. my goal is to make my RL fast plain n simple and between adding every mod from super sport tires with 19s to Aspec and PCD I'm running out of ideas .. I considered supercharging but it's too much money I'd rather put 5k towards a Porsche Cayenne .. it sucks I can't tune this car it be exactly what I need to do for where I'm at on my RL

i thought about upgraded fuel injectors but I have t fully done my homework on them yet.. i saw 445c injectors but too much I think lol - I'm at a crossroad here I can't think of anything else to do for more power
Old 07-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Nos.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
To make it "fast" you'll have to take it to another level.. boost.

She's just too damn heavy to be anywhere near fast with bolt ons. Only thing really left to do is ported runners and maybe a dual throttle body set up but the maximum potential won't be there without being able to tune it..

It's funny you mentioned a Cayenne, I've had my eye out recently for a 09' 6spd GTS for a daily to be able to start taking the RL to the next level..

Last edited by teh CL; 07-03-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
lol I daily drive my RL I need my seats I need everything in my car I'm not trying to ghetto my car out by taking out the leather or whatever I can find it's a waste of time.. my goal is to make my RL fast plain n simple and between adding every mod from super sport tires with 19s to Aspec and PCD I'm running out of ideas .. I considered supercharging but it's too much money I'd rather put 5k towards a Porsche Cayenne .. it sucks I can't tune this car it be exactly what I need to do for where I'm at on my RL

i thought about upgraded fuel injectors but I have t fully done my homework on them yet.. i saw 445c injectors but too much I think lol - I'm at a crossroad here I can't think of anything else to do for more power
see. you need an EXACT goal to work towards...if you dont know your goal...you're going to be doing useless mods...
WHY would you want to upgrade the fuel system(injectors)? you dont need to upgrade injectors BECAUSE the factory fuel system provides sufficient flow....

you need to REFINE your goals.
because "being the fastest RL" is not a SPECIFIC enough goal, ESPECIALLY with the limitations you have to work with...

throw some nitrous at it...and P.S.....there are other ways of taking out dead weight....the car is a luxury BOAT that weighs 4000lbs. there are VARIOUS anchors for NVH....get rid of all the dumb anchors.

I got rid of about 50-100lbs of dead weight without making my interior look ghetto

Last edited by justnspace; 07-03-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I'm just thinking wtf at your last response OP.

If SC is too expensive and you would rather put money toward a faster car then that is probably exactly what you should do.

So there is your advice. Sell the RL. Or at least just get in another car because you arent going to get your RL very quick without spending what you have already said is too expensive.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 AM

^Good shit, Jon.
Honda platforms have lots of limitations. plus, he cant tune the supercharger...so the engine will grenade, eventually.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Two comments:
  • The 19" wheels on your car are actually slowing you down a bit compared to the OEM wheels. Granted the difference in acceleration and braking will be small, but it will be real none-the-less.
  • Adding larger fuel injectors will do nothing for your normally aspirated engine. Why? Gasoline engines are throttled by air, not fuel, add more fuel and all you do is wash down the cylinder walls and dilute your oil.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Racer

The wheel slowed me down no debate on the difference when I added them to the car that's what pushed me to add the J37 manifold and TB.. with the fuel injectors didn't I say I haven't done much research ..

im not selling my RL I paid it off in less then 2 years if I had considered selling it you would see a part out thread..

as for a goal.. I've turned my KB1from a regular plain RL into one of the most modded RL on this forum with the best parts money buys so my goal is accomplished what I'm asking is what else can be done that hasn't been done hence me reaching out and asking everyone

TEH CL - I thought about the runners I did that with my accord I had someone on Azine port my 6mt accord along with runners but I never got to review them because I totaled the car a week later lol

i spoke with K tuner who would have tuned my RL but after doing homework we found out yes you can tune the RL but it's very risky and not a good idea I wanted to dip into the transmission possibly making it a 6MT but I want to stay auto and all of Acura's lineup of 6 speed autos still suck
Old 07-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

How is it very risky and not a good idea? Unless the tuner is out to lunch, tuning is one of the best things you can do to your car, especially for driveability. Doesn't make sense that a tuning company would say that..
Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM

The wheel slowed me down no debate on the difference when I added them to the car that's what pushed me to add the J37 manifold and TB.. with the fuel injectors didn't I say I haven't done much research ..

im not selling my RL I paid it off in less then 2 years if I had considered selling it you would see a part out thread..

as for a goal.. I've turned my KB1from a regular plain RL into one of the most modded RL on this forum with the best parts money buys so my goal is accomplished what I'm asking is what else can be done that hasn't been done hence me reaching out and asking everyone

TEH CL - I thought about the runners I did that with my accord I had someone on Azine port my 6mt accord along with runners but I never got to review them because I totaled the car a week later lol

i spoke with K tuner who would have tuned my RL but after doing homework we found out yes you can tune the RL but it's very risky and not a good idea I wanted to dip into the transmission possibly making it a 6MT but I want to stay auto and all of Acura's lineup of 6 speed autos still suck
it's still TOO broad of a goal....thus why you cant figure out what to do next.

FOR EXAMPLE;
I want to beat a certain car while on the highway..(Add nitrous) I want to achieve a certain time at the track. ADD NITROUS.
transmission is a dog (upgrade torque converter to high stall converter)

you NEED TO BE SPECIFIC. that's HOW GOALS WORK!
you dont say...I want to be a millionaire...or I want to lose weight. thats how YOU DONT ACHIEVE GOALS, son.

when you have SPECIFIC GOALS, you can work towards them.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:26 PM

another example...Honda had a goal for the CTR. no torque steer. that was their goal! and they achieved that in the CTR! which makes it pretty fast around the "ring"
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Racer

Ok SOOOOOOOO let me try being specific maybe you guys can help me

Acura is fully bolted on but my specific goal is I want to work on the transmission to MAYBE put more power done? The 5sp lacks in the "sporty" department so I want to do something to it that would help revive any lost power or bring some more aggression to the automatic? I see upgrade the torque converter to a high stall converter but what will that do to our KB1s?

My RL is nicely improved I can't complain with all the added mods the car picks up nicely but when you stomp the gas it loves to go into 4th gear when 3rd gear clearly has the sweet spot so sometimes I will let off the gas and then stomp the pedal again and usually it will go into 3rd like i wanted and take off.

What can I do to the transmission that doesn't require overhauling it but will help it performance wise?

Thanks guys lol
Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Turn it into FWD only. Remove propeller shaft.

Should be faster as you're eliminating quite a bit of friction and driveline weight.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:45 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
What can I do to the transmission that doesn't require overhauling it but will help it performance wise?

Thanks guys lol
Do some googling on mixing in Redline D4 to increase viscosity
Old 07-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Faster is an open-ended comment and needs to be more defined. Are you talking about acceleration? The only way to know if you are faster is to do a before and after 1/4 mile or 0-60 runs to see if what was done makes a difference. Throwing money and parts at a car might be a law of diminishing returns. The RL might not be the car for you as you might want to consider a TL or TLX where there are more modifications available since there is a larger base of tuners to work with. The RL is more of the top of the line sedan loaded with some nice creature features and not a desirable platform to go "faster". I believe you have reached the limits of what you can do. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 AM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
RL isn't and wasn't really meant to be a fast car. Either gut it and build something completely custom or close this chapter and start writing a new one. IMO
The following 2 users liked this post by ChocBoyWonder:
justnspace (07-07-2017), projektvertx (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Ok SOOOOOOOO let me try being specific maybe you guys can help me

Acura is fully bolted on but my specific goal is I want to work on the transmission to MAYBE put more power done? The 5sp lacks in the "sporty" department so I want to do something to it that would help revive any lost power or bring some more aggression to the automatic? I see upgrade the torque converter to a high stall converter but what will that do to our KB1s?

My RL is nicely improved I can't complain with all the added mods the car picks up nicely but when you stomp the gas it loves to go into 4th gear when 3rd gear clearly has the sweet spot so sometimes I will let off the gas and then stomp the pedal again and usually it will go into 3rd like i wanted and take off.

Thanks guys lol
high stall torque converter.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChocBoyWonder
RL isn't and wasn't really meant to be a fast car. Either gut it and build something completely custom or close this chapter and start writing a new one. IMO
this is one of the hardest platforms to mod. I agree with you...instead of him following, he needs to be an innovator. or scrap this and go with a new project.

there is TONS of stuff that he can do...however, no one knows his budget or his goals.
(hot rodding is nothing new. guys have been making their cars faster since cars were invented.)

be an innovator. do things against the crowd. if that means throwing $10-20k at it...so be it.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:33 AM

also, when modding at a high level, you're going to sacrifice streetability.
it doesnt sound like you want to mod at a high level.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
also, when modding at a high level, you're going to sacrifice streetability.
it doesn't sound like you want to mod at a high level.
There is an impending problem that most don't consider when adding horsepower to what is under the hood. The parts that are on the car are only designed for the horsepower that the car comes with (305) and everyday drivability. I agree it is a trade off. At some point, the power will take its toll on the drivetrain starting at the motor mounts, cv joints and on back through the drive shaft. Like I posted earlier, it is the law of diminishing returns. I for one would like to know what can be done beyond what the guy has done so far. I would search back for the supercharged RL. The other is to look at getting a special set of ground cams.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Personally, I'd swap engines to something that is tuneable... and hope all of your parts can make the switch. You could be pulling a decent amount more power with all those mods, if you got it tuned. Right now it's just a bunch of random parts thrown at an ECU that has very limited parameters in which it's allowed to operate within.

You're looking for cheap mods, but even if it were any other car, you'd have maxed out what you can likely do to go faster, if it is NA and you want to stay NA.

You're options now are: Go Nos, Go forced induction, or swap engines/transmissions/ecus, or get back to the drawing board. You have no other options. the cams could work, but again, without tuning, it won't do much good. Might even be detrimental.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:59 AM
Suzuka Master

I'll bite. Post some pics and I will tell you what I would do to it.

I wont lie though, and take this with a grain of salt, but it wouldnt be very hard to claim "most modded _____ on Azine". Majority of people here are here to ask how fast their car will go with upgraded tires or what grade gas should I use because Im cheap as fuck.

Post some pics. Lets see what your RL looks like and we'll go from there.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 AM
Suzuka Master

lmfao Well OP sold the RL he just said he wouldnt sell. He must have already forgot about this thread. In before "my truck isnt fast how can I make it as fast as my RL" thread.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Lol he gave up. Should have did a 50 shot of nitrous
Old 07-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
lmfao Well OP sold the RL he just said he wouldnt sell. He must have already forgot about this thread. In before "my truck isnt fast how can I make it as fast as my RL" thread.
Yep, took care of that "may car isn't fast enough" problem.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Yep, took care of that "my car isn't fast enough" problem.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Pro

Guess he figured that he wasn't going fast enough in the RL and reached the limits of what it could do, so he probably sold it to buy another project. Who knows what "fast enough" meant to him. He should buy a Honda Civic or Accord project and throw money at one of those.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
swap the motor from rlx. or find the 3.7 RL which has 6 speed auto transmission instead of 5 speed

and I don't know why people still argue with the laws of physics about the wheel weight
lighter wheels = better acceleration period
get some 18s forged wheels instead of 19s

my switching to 2016 RLX wheels is the difference between pulling on a stock rsx type-s and not being able to even pass that car after the wheels were on
Old 07-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzysig
and I don't know why people still argue with the laws of physics about the wheel weight
lighter wheels = better acceleration period
get some 18s forged wheels instead of 19s
Sorry, weight is only part of the equation, and in many cases, the lesser part. If you study up on Rotational Mass or Angular Kinetic Energy, you'll learn the further the main mass (the rim portion in the case of a wheel) is away from the axis of rotation the more of a pronounced affect it has on changes in rotational speed and changes of direction.

Think about it this way; if you have two gyroscopes, each weighing say four ounces, but one with a 3" diameter wheel and the other with a 2" diameter wheel, the larger one will be MUCH more difficult to spin up to any given RPM, far more difficult to make it change direction when spun up, and far more difficult to spool back down. The exact same thing applies to wheels.

Long story short, a 20 pound 17" wheel will easily outperform a 18 pound 19" wheel.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Racer

yes I know all that.
most of the wheel weight comes from the barrel.
forged barrel is lighter than cast unless its Alibaba wheel that will shatter on first pothole
Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Racer

and also just a suggestion. try not to use descriptions like "fully bolted" it just sounds retarded and very Honda techy
similar to "fully built" internally stock civics that are rolling around everywhere
Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
50 shot of nitrous . come on you know you want to