AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   Found a good set of plug and play LED DRL's for our cars (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/found-good-set-plug-play-led-drls-our-cars-971108/)

LS1SSChris 06-28-2018 09:53 PM

Found a good set of plug and play LED DRL's for our cars

Hey guys, thought I would share since throughout my search for a set of LED DRL's for my car, I wasn't really finding much recent information on a good set of lights. A while back it seems people were using VLED but it looks like they discontinued the type we needed. But, I went out on a limb and bought these Simdevanma 9005/HB3 bulbs off of Amazon for $40 that I found one forum member recommend. I can confirm that they work perfectly and are 100% plug and play. My high beams still work and no error codes. Here's a pic, again I just thought I'd share. The passenger side looks brighter for whatever reason in this pic because they were flickering in my camera, I promise its not like that in person. If you're looking for some LED DRL's for your car check out Simdevanma
https://preview.ibb.co/grygfT/IMG_6426.jpg

frankjnjr 06-28-2018 10:32 PM

Thank you, LS1SSChris. I've been interested, in installing DRLs on my 03 TLS, for some time. I'll check these out.

JonFo 06-30-2018 05:10 AM

If you don't have codes, and it actually has two levels of brightness (DRL <--> High Beam), then it's a steal.

The Amazon bulb I got in 2006 threw codes, and had only one level of brightness.

The VLEDs I'm sporting now have been perfect. No codes, DRL is not too bright, and highs are nice and bright.

Here is a screen shot of the order confirmation from last year. Spendy, but totally worth it. Car looks so much better with LED DRLs.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...98168fb6ef.png

HDNBenjamin 06-30-2018 12:44 PM

looks good! i'll have to snatch up a pair of LEDs now!

LS1SSChris 06-30-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JonFo (Post 16257228)
If you don't have codes, and it actually has two levels of brightness (DRL <--> High Beam), then it's a steal.

The Amazon bulb I got in 2006 threw codes, and had only one level of brightness.

The VLEDs I'm sporting now have been perfect. No codes, DRL is not too bright, and highs are nice and bright.

Here is a screen shot of the order confirmation from last year. Spendy, but totally worth it. Car looks so much better with LED DRLs.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...98168fb6ef.png

Yeah I'm pretty sure those are the ones everyone was recommending on here in a thread that I was reading. I was looking for those and couldn't find them. But yup the bulbs I have retain the high beam function like stock, its actually much brighter too. No codes, no flickering, for $40 I cant complain

kcjohnnyboy 07-08-2018 08:44 PM

What was the lumens and wattage you got? Does it match the low beams color as well?

LS1SSChris 07-09-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kcjohnnyboy (Post 16260732)
What was the lumens and wattage you got? Does it match the low beams color as well?

7600 lumen and I believe its 60 watt. They are ever so slightly more white than the low beams but I still think it looks pretty good. Just put a set in my friends TL type s and they work perfectly in his car as well

deepa1600 07-09-2018 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by LS1SSChris (Post 16261362)
7600 lumen and I believe its 60 watt. They are ever so slightly more white than the low beams but I still think it looks pretty good. Just put a set in my friends TL type s and they work perfectly in his car as well

How is the high beam visibility at night as compared to stock 9005 bulbs?

LS1SSChris 07-10-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by deepa1600 (Post 16261427)
How is the high beam visibility at night as compared to stock 9005 bulbs?

Much, much brighter. I would never use them around other motorists they will definitely blind someone worse than a stock halogen high beam would

H8PVMT 07-10-2018 11:22 PM

These?

deepa1600 07-10-2018 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by H8PVMT (Post 16262027)

Seems like it, but it's pretty darn expensive for us Canadians for no name, chinese Led kit. As compared to America which is only 40$.

KB1 07-11-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by deepa1600 (Post 16262032)
Seems like it, but it's pretty darn expensive for us Canadians for no name, chinese Led kit. As compared to America which is only 40$.

Yeah .. can't find anything that ships to Canada . Suggestions ?

LS1SSChris 07-11-2018 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by H8PVMT (Post 16262027)

Those are the ones. Dang, I hate to hear the shipping is crazy for you Canadian guys that really sucks

sccrxer 07-12-2018 02:07 PM

I wonder if they have an option for the fog light bulbs?

rlx015 07-20-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by LS1SSChris (Post 16256695)
Hey guys, thought I would share since throughout my search for a set of LED DRL's for my car, I wasn't really finding much recent information on a good set of lights. A while back it seems people were using VLED but it looks like they discontinued the type we needed. But, I went out on a limb and bought these Simdevanma 9005/HB3 bulbs off of Amazon for $40 that I found one forum member recommend. I can confirm that they work perfectly and are 100% plug and play. My high beams still work and no error codes. Here's a pic, again I just thought I'd share. The passenger side looks brighter for whatever reason in this pic because they were flickering in my camera, I promise its not like that in person. If you're looking for some LED DRL's for your car check out Simdevanma

Just so I am clear - these will plug and play and ultimately replace DRL and also High Beam will be LED as well?

Thanks!!!

LS1SSChris 07-20-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16267706)
Just so I am clear - these will plug and play and ultimately replace DRL and also High Beam will be LED as well?

Thanks!!!

Yes exactly

jbird2212 07-21-2018 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16267706)

Thanks!!!

I purchased the same ones and they are good DRL and still go brighter once you flip to high beam

rlx015 07-21-2018 10:12 AM

Great thanks for confirming guys!!
any suggestions if something similar is available for fog lights? I like the plug n play factor, and if there are LEDs I can pop in into fog light housing, that’d be awesome!!!

LS1SSChris 07-21-2018 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16268195)
Great thanks for confirming guys!!
any suggestions if something similar is available for fog lights? I like the plug n play factor, and if there are LEDs I can pop in into fog light housing, that’d be awesome!!!

Check out OPT7 for the fogs, I have the CREE V2 LED's in my car, I bought the white color and they match the low beams almost perfectly. They are only $30, I've had them in for several months now and no issues

rlx015 07-22-2018 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by LS1SSChris (Post 16256695)

Received bulbs today, and after installing one - all good... Installed the other one, "Check DRL system" ... So returning them back to Amazon. Another thing I noticed was that these run really hot... When you touch heatsink it is really hot to the touch after working for 5 minutes... I kind of anticipated it since there was a little fan behind, but not sure how these how ld up on long term...
I am still debating should I go for some other LED DRL/High beams, or may try another pair...

LS1SSChris 07-22-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16268695)
Received bulbs today, and after installing one - all good... Installed the other one, "Check DRL system" ... So returning them back to Amazon. Another thing I noticed was that these run really hot... When you touch heatsink it is really hot to the touch after working for 5 minutes... I kind of anticipated it since there was a little fan behind, but not sure how these how ld up on long term...
I am still debating should I go for some other LED DRL/High beams, or may try another pair...

:( I am sorry to hear that man sounds like you got a bad set. Did you just get the "Check DRL system" error or was the bulb not working at all? Sometimes flipping the connector works... don't know if you tried that or not

rlx015 07-22-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by LS1SSChris (Post 16268724)
:( I am sorry to hear that man sounds like you got a bad set. Did you just get the "Check DRL system" error or was the bulb not working at all? Sometimes flipping the connector works... don't know if you tried that or not

Actually, I got them to work just fine... looks like the second bulb was defective. For example, if I put low beams ON (non-auto) and turning on/off high beams it worked just fine... but as soon as I flicked on DRL, or low beam on auto (swinc eit was daylight low beams would shut off and Check DRL System would prompt and sound as well every 4-5 seconds... had to put back Fugly yellow one's back.
I will do some more research on reviews as well just to see - temperature is also another thing to consider... these were running pretty hot definitely do not want to get my car burnt down because of some chinese led bulbs :)

RoeLarry 07-25-2018 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by LS1SSChris (Post 16268432)
Check out OPT7 for the fogs, I have the CREE V2 LED's in my car, I bought the white color and they match the low beams almost perfectly. They are only $30, I've had them in for several months now and no issues

Thanks for that info, are the ones?

RoeLarry 07-25-2018 07:31 PM

Oh man, that looks great and those Simdevanma's are $31.99 right now, sale ends in 5hrs. Seriously tempted but concerned about the heat they put off :/

jbird2212 07-25-2018 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by RoeLarry (Post 16270654)
Oh man, that looks great and those Simdevanma's are $31.99 right now, sale ends in 5hrs. Seriously tempted but concerned about the heat they put off :/

I have had the same ones in my car for a few months now and drive 3 hours a day between work and other stuff with the DRL on and have no heat effects or any issue with excessive heat at all

RoeLarry 07-26-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jbird2212 (Post 16270697)
I have had the same ones in my car for a few months now and drive 3 hours a day between work and other stuff with the DRL on and have no heat effects or any issue with excessive heat at all

Good to know, thanks!

HEAVY_RL 07-26-2018 10:17 AM

Heat will have to happen, the only way this works is creating additional load with resistance... #itsscience

RoeLarry 07-26-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL (Post 16270830)
Heat will have to happen, the only way this works is creating additional load with resistance... #itsscience

Oh yeah for sure, it's "excessive" heat that concerns me. I've had my RL for less than a week, so I really need to dive into research/info on pretty much everything. Thanks for the reply, Heavy.

Oh, one more thing since I just noticed you have a CGP like me...have you purchased any touch up paint for yours? The paint code on my door comes up as "Graphite Pearl" instead of CGP. I'm guessing they just renamed it? Or used a different name for that color on Honda vs. Acura?

HEAVY_RL 07-26-2018 12:36 PM

Search NH-658P in Amazon.

rlx015 07-26-2018 09:05 PM

I decided to go with the newer gen led bulbs that have fanless heatsink which I am more comfortable with. I should get them tomorrow and will report back how all goes. I think I went with beamtech, 50W or something like that ;) ...
In the case these do not work I will go with https://www.superbrightleds.com/ ... they ffer lifetime warranty, and are only 10-20$ more expensive.

In the meantime I got cree fog lights I installed yesterday... al I can say YES, I CAN USE MY FOG LIGHTS NOW!!! :) :)

LS1SSChris 07-26-2018 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by RoeLarry (Post 16270653)
Thanks for that info, are these the ones?

Those are the ones, sorry for the delayed response

^^Nice rl015, I noticed a big difference versus stock as well, much brighter for sure

rlx015 07-27-2018 09:36 AM

Here are the fog lights comparison halogen to below:
Alla Lighting Xtreme Super Bright H11 LED Fog Lights High Power 80W w/Projector (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZQ7WVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_X1YwBb5B23714

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a08c60f9c.jpeg

rlx015 07-27-2018 11:08 PM

Tried Beamtech - no go, got Check DRL System message. Sending back to Amazon... One last chance I am giving to DRLs recommended here as they do list correct wattage (60W)... If that does not work, I will probably go with some other pair I find it guarantees working with our RLs.

HEAVY_RL 07-30-2018 08:01 AM

These are the best IMO... but the price is triple...

https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-he...plate-190.html

rlx015 07-31-2018 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16271786)
Tried Beamtech - no go, got Check DRL System message. Sending back to Amazon... One last chance I am giving to DRLs recommended here as they do list correct wattage (60W)... If that does not work, I will probably go with some other pair I find it guarantees working with our RLs.

Saga just got more interesting... ordered Simdevanma or whatever the brand name is, got second pair today, popped them in... same exact damn message “Check DRL System” ... packed it all back up and sending back to amazon. These come in marked as 28W... i contacted the support via email, they are explaining two bulbs make 60W! But apparently these are not an oem match considering light comes on on my mid screen.

Now, the issue I am facing is... there is a message in my navi showing the envelope... if I read it, it stays unread... if I try to delete it (via menu cancel and guide hold for 5 sec), it simply won’t delete the damn thing...
DRL work just fine, but I cannot believe that unplugging and plugging bulbs back would cause issue like that... I have never seen this before...
i tried to disconnect negative battery terminal and leave it for 15 minutes... after connecting it, message comes back... so what gives!!??!?? Anyone? Is trip to the dealer imminent?

rlx015 07-31-2018 12:33 AM

DRL navi msg - cannot delete in diagnostic screen (!?!)

The issue I am facing is:
I swapped old halogen 9005 bulbs (sylvania) with LEDs other member reported working plug n play route... got Check DRL system, so not plug n play as it was claimed. I replugged back in my halogen sylvania bulbs, started car and now there is a message in my navi showing the envelope... Daylight Running Lights not working... if I read it, it stays unread... if I try to delete it (via menu cancel and guide hold for 5 sec), it simply won’t delete the damn thing...
DRL work just fine, but I cannot believe that unplugging and plugging bulbs back would cause issue like that... I have never seen this before...
I tried to disconnect negative battery terminal and leave it for 15 minutes... after connecting it, message comes back... so what gives!!??!?? Anyone? Is trip to the dealer imminent?

HEAVY_RL 07-31-2018 07:23 AM

That message wont cause any issues, just drive it

deepa1600 07-31-2018 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by rl015 (Post 16272890)

Saga just got more interesting... ordered Simdevanma or whatever the brand name is, got second pair today, popped them in... same exact damn message “Check DRL System” ... packed it all back up and sending back to amazon. These come in marked as 28W... i contacted the support via email, they are explaining two bulbs make 60W! But apparently these are not an oem match considering light comes on on my mid screen.

Now, the issue I am facing is... there is a message in my navi showing the envelope... if I read it, it stays unread... if I try to delete it (via menu cancel and guide hold for 5 sec), it simply won’t delete the damn thing...
i tried to disconnect negative battery terminal and leave it for 15 minutes... after connecting it, message comes back... so what gives!!??!?? Anyone? Is trip to the dealer imminent?

How about taking the DRL fuse out and then in with battery connected.

rlx015 07-31-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by deepa1600 (Post 16272962)
How about taking the DRL fuse out and then in with battery connected.

Tried doing that and it did not resolve the issue. I called the dealer and they stated if there is an ongoing issue, even if it is cleaned it will come back... considering it came back after battery was disconnected I assume there is "an issue" - but all works fine, so not sure where the issue may be.
I am thinking of getting the JDM_kit (resistors) and installing that... but if I do, and message is still there (not on MID screen but only NAVI) I would be back at the square one. So I will take it to the dealer and see what they find. Will update here.

rlx015 07-31-2018 10:30 PM

I was able to correct this issue by ejecting NAVI DVD and inserting it back... looks like something got confused... to share other troubleshooting steps is probably not needed so I can save time and share what fixed it lol ... lost at least an hour of trying to plug and play different bulbs thinking that was the culprit lol...

MOD - feel free to merge this thread if you'd like with another similar one or close it. This is where I found suggested fix:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-a...ssages-499260/