faint clicking while turning the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
faint clicking while turning the steering wheel

I have been noticing that while my car is stationary and I turn my steering wheel left and right, the wheel makes some faint clicking noises. Is that normal?

Also, my center console and the plastic around the shifter are making some creaking noises. It's time to get some felt tape from HomeDepot now!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the clicking with turning the wheel. Mostly when the 'blinker' is on... which I assume is some internal 'post' which clicks the directional lever back into place when the turn is complete. It doesn't do it when the directional isn't on.

As for the creaks around the shifter... I had them BIG TIME. Did A LOT of felt taping.. and silicone spraying. It's whisper quiet now, but we'll see when the warm weather comes back and that plastic starts expanding.

I've recently gotten one along the dashboard wood trim. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer for fear that they'll think I'm a NUT ( This would be the 3rd trip to them for creaks and noises)... but also because I don't want them scratching my wood.

I shoved some felt tape in between the wood and the dash at the spot causing the noise last night, and today it seems much improved.

I am really beginning to think that the only reason I hear these noises is because it's so damn quiet in the car. My wife has a Sienna minivan and it's a rattle box...but I never really hear them unless I listen close, because you can't hear anything over the engine, tire and wind noise. (Not to mention the DVD movie playin in the back and the 3 kids screaming)
Old 01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my steering wheel also makes faint clicking noises when the car is moving slowly, if I wiggle it left and right. Did you take apart the trims yourself?