AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   E-009: Chrome Chipping Off Bottom of Grille (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/e-009-chrome-chipping-off-bottom-grille-785691/)

BluNosr2 07-29-2010 03:32 PM

E-009: Chrome Chipping Off Bottom of Grille

The '06 I picked up appears to have some chrome chipping off the very bottom part of the front grille trim, the piece that is bright chrome and sits basically ontop of the front bumper. At first I assumed this was just tar/bugs until I did a proper handwash and dry and realized the chrome has actually started to chip off.

Is this common? And is it possible to replace just the bottom chrome part that is chipping or does this mean a whole new grille??

HEAVY_RL 07-29-2010 04:03 PM

mine is the same way, I believe the grill is one piece.

alfadoctor 07-29-2010 07:05 PM

Interesting question you just raised! I ordered the bottom chrome plastic strip from the dealer this morning...about $35 with shipping. The top piece is $121!

I was going to ask how hard it is to get in there to replace it?

sleepinxlionhart 07-29-2010 07:11 PM

Yep, it's totally replaceable. I replaced mine. You do not have to buy a whole new grille. And if you go to discountacuraparts.com (where I got mine) it goes for around $16 shipped I think. A really good deal compared to other outrageous prices from other dealers.

BluNosr2 07-29-2010 08:18 PM

Excellent info!

alfadoctor 07-29-2010 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart (Post 12216052)
And if you go to discountacuraparts.com (where I got mine) it goes for around $16 shipped I think. A really good deal compared to other outrageous prices from other dealers.

NOW I FIND OUT! :yuck:

vletnguyen 07-29-2010 11:56 PM

can you provide me with part number? picture? mine is chipping bad from rocks/pebble/animals haha

alfadoctor 07-30-2010 11:20 PM

71122-SJA-A00ZA lower chrome grille strip. The other number on the plastic bag is 4013113623

alfadoctor 07-31-2010 01:50 AM

I want to add to this. Tonight I attempted to replace the chrome strip on the grille. Here is what I found out. 1st, watch what your doing so you can do a reversal when putting things back together. In other words, notice which snap plugs come out of which hole. Also which parts snap together. 2nd remove all snap plugs...6 in all if I counted right. The piece of plastic that covers the latch mechanism and the front cavity between the bumper and radiators is put under the corner peices of plastic. So you will have to slip that in before you can put the snap plugs back in place. 3rd. There are two (2) snap plugs that are installed upside down on the bumper. No need to remove the bumper to get to them, just use some channel lock pliers or something like that to pop them down so you can remove the grille. Before you remove the grille please note how the corners and sides are located so you can put it back the same way. 4th, when you have the grille out, there are 5 screws that hold the plastic chrome part in place. There are two tabs that must be inserted in the corners before screwing the screws all the way down. Lay the chrome plastic on some "very soft" as the chrome is soft and scratches easily...don't ask me how I learned that one! 5th, reverse the procedures you did to get the grille out. Took me a half hour from start to finish for my first time, next time it will be only 20 minutes.

What I am not happy with is the quality of the chrome. It is very soft and mars easily. I would have thought it would be at least hard chrome on brass. That is to logical.

knv8 08-01-2010 03:23 PM

i need to replace mine also, do you have to lift the car up?

BluNosr2 08-01-2010 05:11 PM

If the new piece is as soft as the old I am guessing it's just going to chip in a matter of months too....is there any kind of clear protective tape or something that could be placed over it to help protect it a bit?

alfadoctor 08-01-2010 11:18 PM

Clear tape...probably not. It will be just like the old one in that it can get rock chips etc. Hey! Its cheap enough and easy to install. :) You do not have to lift the car up just the hood. :) It is all snap together stuff. The only screws are the ones holding the part to the grille.

Chas2 08-02-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BluNosr2 (Post 12222826)
If the new piece is as soft as the old I am guessing it's just going to chip in a matter of months too....is there any kind of clear protective tape or something that could be placed over it to help protect it a bit?

Use 3M paint protection film or similar if you are worried.

backfire 09-15-2011 07:10 PM

chrome piece replacement

Just received my new bottom chrome piece for grill. I have pieces of the 3m bra left over and installed it on the new one. Then used a razor blade to trim it. Let it dry for a few hours and then attempted the install. Went on good and looks nice the old one was tattered from road grime and road grave. This piece runs about $32 plus shipping. Buy a few extra fastners or go to local auto store because some will always break:2cents:

MyAcuraRL 10-28-2012 11:44 AM

Can easily be replaced: See number 2. that is the bottom grill piece.

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/i...-grille-1.html

BDoggPrelude 10-28-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MyAcuraRL (Post 14129577)
Can easily be replaced: See number 2. that is the bottom grill piece.

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/i...-grille-1.html

Okay? This thread was resolved over 2 years ago. Thanks for the reminder?

oo7spy 10-28-2012 06:44 PM

What my friend^ means is, "Welcome to the forum :newbie:. You will find the date of the last comment in the top left of the last post."

;)

lumpulus 10-29-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy (Post 14130144)
What my friend^ means is, "Welcome to the forum :newbie:. You will find the date of the last comment in the top left of the last post."

;)

Everybody can be a newb...including you. :rolleyes:

December 2010 indeed.

oo7spy 10-29-2012 12:58 PM

You really are a Masshole...

:jk:

travr6 09-21-2015 04:37 PM

I have searched through these threads and this one seems to be the most informative.

The problem is the website discountacuraparts.com no longer works.

Is there a new place to order the chrome trim parts from or are we stuck going back to the factory and pay full retail prices?

Are there any other options out now?
The search function works but the info from 4+ year old threads isn't very helpful.

travr6 09-21-2015 06:07 PM

$60 for the lower and $300 for the grill now.

Anyone ever had these parts re-chromed?

oo7spy 09-21-2015 09:12 PM

Oemacuraparts.com is the parts site for Acura of Peoria. Tim is the online parts manager and a member here. His SN is oemacurapartstim.

travr6 09-22-2015 08:22 AM

Same price on that website as well. $60 for the small lower piece and $300 for the grill.

Is this the only option now? Any way to re-chrome the pieces I have?
Any other options?

I am not a huge fan of chrome but I don't think painting them would look well.

Just trying to figure out my options.

travr6 09-22-2015 08:24 AM

I can't believe is gone from $150 for both pieces to $360 in just 4 years.

stevieray 09-23-2015 11:04 AM

I had my tint shop install 3M Paint Protection Film on the lower grille trim and also the corner bumper protectors and it's working beautifully. No chipping or flaking whatsoever.

MtMan1020 10-01-2015 05:23 PM

Doesn't anyone make a chrome spray paint that will actually look like chrome????

RL09 09-09-2016 07:42 PM

Stevieray's ! Wish I listened the first time I read what he said about 3M.

Another lady decided to back into my lower front grille. It's scratched you can see the black color underneath.

Original is 190$ !

Any ideas where I can get a used one, or maybe as the previous poster asked: to spray paint it somehow?

I's all still intact and like new.

RL09 09-09-2016 09:20 PM

mrudolph007 06-10-2017 09:29 PM

replacing chrome section under grill

7 Attachment(s)
Finally replacing the chrome section under the grill. Went a lot easier than I thought it would. I started with reading every ones thread to make sure I knew what I needed to do. I also purchased some vinyl trim removing tools from Amazon. I also plan on using these tools when I replace the trim on both sides of the bumper. That's my next project, I just ordered the piece for the left side. I will get the right side piece once I know I can get it down.

1. Here is the grill before I started.
2. Removing the clips (6 or 7) on the radiator cover. Just pull up on the cover and you will see which clips need to be removed.
3. When you have all the clips off, just move the cover around the hood latch and its off.
4. There are two clips left holding the grill on. They are pushed in from the bottom or backwards. I pulled the top rubber piece up to get it over the clip to get it off. I then removed the clip thru the bottom portion. When I put everything back together, I pushed the clips thru from the top, rather then going from the bottom up, doubt it will cause any problems.
5. Now you see the back of the grill and the screws(5 total) which you will have to remove to put on your new trim.
6. Car with no Grill. Now just reverse what you did put it all back together.
7. Done, new chrome piece in place. its so shiny, you can see me in the reflection.

rlx015 06-20-2017 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrudolph007 (Post 16036055)
Finally replacing the chrome section under the grill. Went a lot easier than I thought it would. I started with reading every ones thread to make sure I knew what I needed to do. I also purchased some vinyl trim removing tools from Amazon. I also plan on using these tools when I replace the trim on both sides of the bumper. That's my next project, I just ordered the piece for the left side. I will get the right side piece once I know I can get it down.

1. Here is the grill before I started.
2. Removing the clips (6 or 7) on the radiator cover. Just pull up on the cover and you will see which clips need to be removed.
3. When you have all the clips off, just move the cover around the hood latch and its off.
4. There are two clips left holding the grill on. They are pushed in from the bottom or backwards. I pulled the top rubber piece up to get it over the clip to get it off. I then removed the clip thru the bottom portion. When I put everything back together, I pushed the clips thru from the top, rather then going from the bottom up, doubt it will cause any problems.
5. Now you see the back of the grill and the screws(5 total) which you will have to remove to put on your new trim.
6. Car with no Grill. Now just reverse what you did put it all back together.
7. Done, new chrome piece in place. its so shiny, you can see me in the reflection.

Thank you! Well explained!

lchavezrn 05-12-2018 12:39 AM

Does this grille removal procedure also work for 2009 - 2012 front ends?

mrudolph007 05-15-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by lchavezrn (Post 16232687)
Does this grille removal procedure also work for 2009 - 2012 front ends?

Dont see why not, still second generation. Only way to find out is do it. If I can do it, anybody can. A lot easier than it looks. Easy on and off

Walfunk 05-09-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart (Post 12216052)
Yep, it's totally replaceable. I replaced mine. You do not have to buy a whole new grille. And if you go to discountacuraparts.com (where I got mine) it goes for around $16 shipped I think. A really good deal compared to other outrageous prices from other dealers.

Of course when I go to the website now it is no longer available. Anyone know a good website to order the bottom part of the grill now?

Gallbladder 05-10-2019 09:19 AM

I just replaced that booger on my '05 RL last week. Found it at AcuraPartsHQ, part # 71122-SJA-A00ZB. It was ~$68.00. Easy to install, as above. You have to remove the front grill, but not the front bumper.

Walfunk 05-10-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gallbladder (Post 16424257)
I just replaced that booger on my '05 RL last week. Found it at AcuraPartsHQ, part # 71122-SJA-A00ZB. It was ~$68.00. Easy to install, as above. You have to remove the front grill, but not the front bumper.

Thanks, but $70? Seems excessive to me for such a small piece. Did you clear wrap it or anything to protect it from getting chipped up again?

Gallbladder 05-10-2019 11:18 AM

I guess the growing scarcity of parts for these >15 year old cars, which didn't sell in big numbers, is driving up the prices.

No, I didn't;t put any wrap on it, but that sounds like a good move. I did, however, purchase some chrome vinyl tape to resurface the peeling chrome/tape on the front and rear corner moldings. I'll let y'all know how that goes, but it looks pretty strait forward to me. Speaking of chrome vinyl tape, some in these forums have used that to resurface the bottom front grill piece in question.

Walfunk 05-10-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gallbladder (Post 16424352)
I guess the growing scarcity of parts for these >15 year old cars, which didn't sell in big numbers, is driving up the prices.

No, I didn't;t put any wrap on it, but that sounds like a good move. I did, however, purchase some chrome vinyl tape to resurface the peeling chrome/tape on the front and rear corner moldings. I'll let y'all know how that goes, but it looks pretty strait forward to me. Speaking of chrome vinyl tape, some in these forums have used that to resurface the bottom front grill piece in question.

That's what i'm gonna try, the wrap. gets in on Wednesday next week. hopefully that works, gonna do the corners as well.....