E-006: Sideview Mirror Rattle / Vibration Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
E-006: Sideview Mirror Rattle / Vibration Fix

So, I remember reading a few Azine members having problems with their sideview mirror vibrating or rattling. My passenger sideview mirror just starting doing this a couple of months ago...very annoying. From what I read, there wasn't an easy fix for this and many had to have the mirror replaced. Tonight, I decided to have a closer look and see if there might be an easy fix, and luckily I think I found one. (I apologize if this was already discovered and discussed. I tried to search for a possible posting of a fix, but couldn't find anything.)

Anyways, on the underside of the mirror assembly, there is a small panel that can be removed. There are three clips holding this on. (Be careful when removing. I broke one of the clips when removing it, altough it seems pretty solid with just two clips holding it on.)

Name:  acurazine-undersideofpasssidemirror.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  49.3 KB

Once removed, there are three exposed screws.
Name:  acurazine-undersideofpasssidemir-2.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  41.4 KB
Name:  acurazine-undersideofpasssidemir-1.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  74.8 KB

I tightened these screws and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll have a better idea though, once I drive for a while to see if I notice anything.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh, nice! I have the same problem. The driver side mirror is a bit loose. I was wondering, how did you open the panel? I'm afraid I'll scratch the driver door because the angle is so hard to work with. Any particular tool that you used?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a craftsman L shaped pick to pull the cover off.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the post! I had the same problem... it was difficult to remove the panel for me without scatching the door panel, so I had the dealer tighten it under warranty. If it happens again, I will use something with an L shape.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
i had the same problem the dealer took care of it under waranty.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Good info, thanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I had the same problem awhile ago. My dealership also "tighten" them up under warranty, and billed Acura 1 hour labor for (what it seem now) a 10min job! Surprisingly that type of BS doesn't shock me anymore.

Thanks for sharing! Will surely come in handy for members out of warranty!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:19 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, now that I've broken one of the clips, I know how to get the $#&ing panel off...not a very good design, if you ask me...I guess nobody did, huh? The wife's 05 CRV uses a similar design to hold the mirror in place WITHOUT the stupid panel and WITHOUT the TORX screws (it uses good ol' phillips screws.)...good design DOES exist at Honda...just perhaps not at the Acura division...

Lots of problems with this 05 RL that I bought new...never again, guys, never again.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2 of the prongs broke off one side of mine when I did it. The prepainted replacement is approx. $8.00. I used contact cement and gingerly reinstalled. It worked.

You are right Acura engineers have no sense of ergonomics.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Instructor

^^^To add I reglued the prongs w/contact cement and reinstalled the cover.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Crazy question: Was your mirror loose or the mirror housing?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Instructor

The mirror housing folds in and is typically the vibrating piece. They also use lock tight on the screws.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I don't get the digs that Acura engineering is less than Honda engineering for this car.

The RL is NOT an Acura engineered vehicle. It is not even Honda North America. The RL is a Honda LEGEND. Designed by Honda, built by Honda Japan and simply rebadged as RL with some features intended to appeal to North American consumers.

Until recent years, most RL parts were even stamped HONDA.

Acura's contribution is mostly styling pieces....and THAT I will agree, is a failure to what Honda has engineered...at least in the exterior styling camp since the introduction of the power phlegm corporate grille.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 08-29-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Instructor

^^^The Honda engineers have no sense of ergonomics.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I don't get the digs that Acura engineering is less than Honda engineering for this car.

The RL is NOT an Acura engineered vehicle. It is not even Honda North America. The RL is a Honda LEGEND. Designed by Honda, built by Honda Japan and simply rebadged as RL with some features intended to appeal to North American consumers.

Until recent years, most RL parts were even stamped HONDA.

Acura's contribution is mostly styling pieces....and THAT I will agree, is a failure to what Honda has engineered...at least in the exterior styling camp since the introduction of the power phlegm corporate grille.

...yea, I know...I guess I'm just a bit frustrated with my particular car and the inordinate number of big problems it has had...I had to blame somebody, so the engineers got it!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by feeenux
Well, now that I've broken one of the clips, I know how to get the $#&ing panel off...not a very good design, if you ask me...I guess nobody did, huh? The wife's 05 CRV uses a similar design to hold the mirror in place WITHOUT the stupid panel and WITHOUT the TORX screws (it uses good ol' phillips screws.)...good design DOES exist at Honda...just perhaps not at the Acura division...

Lots of problems with this 05 RL that I bought new...never again, guys, never again.
So what did you do about the panel? Replacement part from Acura, glue, etc.?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhal
So, I remember reading a few Azine members having problems with their sideview mirror vibrating or rattling. My passenger sideview mirror just starting doing this a couple of months ago...very annoying. From what I read, there wasn't an easy fix for this and many had to have the mirror replaced. Tonight, I decided to have a closer look and see if there might be an easy fix, and luckily I think I found one. (I apologize if this was already discovered and discussed. I tried to search for a possible posting of a fix, but couldn't find anything.)

Anyways, on the underside of the mirror assembly, there is a small panel that can be removed. There are three clips holding this on. (Be careful when removing. I broke one of the clips when removing it, altough it seems pretty solid with just two clips holding it on.)

Once removed, there are three exposed screws.

I tightened these screws and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll have a better idea though, once I drive for a while to see if I notice anything.
jhal: Thank you very much for the information!

I modified a paint can opener (the kind you get free with your paint purchase at the paint store) by grinding the sides a bit to make it fit perfectly into the hole designed to pull the panel off. It worked like a charm and it took me less than 10 minutes to do both sides without breaking any tabs. The panel comes off very easily and it doesn't put any strain on the tabs. Just pull straight down once you have the tool into the panel hole.

Tightening the screws is a bit harder because the screw driver does not fit well so close to the door. I took a long screwdriver bit and used a box wrench at the end to torque the screws. Both mirrors are now rock solid
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
should be in the DIY
Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Pro

I took mine to the dealers about this, with a copy of the TSB. What the service adviser told me is that since the car is out of the power train warranty, the mirrors aren't covered even though I still have the extended warranty. Anyone know if that's really the case? I asked about having them replaced under goodwill, he told me he'll get back to me the next day. It's almost been a week, and still no call. I would try to fix it myself, but if I can get a new set of mirrors, that would even be better.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
I took mine to the dealers about this, with a copy of the TSB. What the service adviser told me is that since the car is out of the power train warranty, the mirrors aren't covered even though I still have the extended warranty. Anyone know if that's really the case? I asked about having them replaced under goodwill, he told me he'll get back to me the next day. It's almost been a week, and still no call. I would try to fix it myself, but if I can get a new set of mirrors, that would even be better.
They are BSing I think. I thought the extended warranty was bumper-to-bumper, but maybe they offer a Powertrain version only. In this case it might not be covered.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Extended warranty covers manufacturer defect, which in this case it is, particularly since it is a known issue with Acura actually having to issue a TSB. I'd call Acura directly on this instead of going to dealer.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Pro

Great, thanks. Ugh, that's why I hate going to the dealers..
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Removing Mirror Housing

Does anyone know if I remove the 3 screws under the housing after I remove the plastic cover will the mirror housing be released from the section that holds the housing against the car?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, sonofagun, has anyone got the PDF or other file of the TSB on this issue? With the online versions now encrypted from us, wouldn't you just know I need it now?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 AM
Pro

PM sent
Old 04-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the DIY! my 2 cents... I used a l or curved pick to just pry from the clip with an insertion point (i didnt have to pry to undo either of the other 2 clips, just the one).

do yourself a favor and put a wash cloth or towel of sort on the door to keep from scratching it.

lastly, you'll need a T25 screwdriver, longer the handle the better. I tightened them as hard as I could and it didnt feel like the screws moved at all... but I guess they moved enough because my mirrors are rock solid now. yay!

PS: you can get the T25 at Sears. At my Loews I bought a "Forge Tek" (or something like that" screw driver set that had the T25. it was $10 for a set of about 12 screw drivers.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
What does the vibration sound like? At all speeds, on bumps? I've got an annoying vibration noise, but it only is audible at high rpms.... I don't think it's my mirror...but I'll listen again with the window down....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 23109VC
What does the vibration sound like? At all speeds, on bumps? I've got an annoying vibration noise, but it only is audible at high rpms.... I don't think it's my mirror...but I'll listen again with the window down....
well if you think your mirror might be loose, just go wiggle it and see. if it wiggles much, you'll know it. if its pretty solid, then thats not the problem.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

Hi
I also have a shaking driver side mirror, and was wondering where I could find a TSB on this? I dont have extended warranty and am all out of original one, so would it be possible to demand Acura to fix it? Also do those TSBs apply in Canada at all?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
using the paint can opener trick and a torx on a rachet fixed mine to where they are nice and tight.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZE_RL
Hi
I also have a shaking driver side mirror, and was wondering where I could find a TSB on this? I dont have extended warranty and am all out of original one, so would it be possible to demand Acura to fix it? Also do those TSBs apply in Canada at all?
Thanks
you could politely ask them to do it. just go to the dealer, talk to a service advisor and be nice... "my RL is out of warranty but I know there's a TSB on the loose mirrors. could you guys do this for me as a good will repair since there is a TSB on it?"

if they say no, ask to talk to the service manager and ask him just as nicely. maybe mention that on the acurazine forum, a lot of members have had the repair done as a good will gesture and that no parts are required.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
10th Gear

Yea I had the same problem with mine when I first bought the car. I work at a honda dealer for a living so when I get a RL for service I automatically check for this and just tighten the bolts with a 1/4 drive t-30 without saying anything to anybody.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM
10th Gear

Oh yea and the Acura S/B 08-022 tells you to replace the mirror assembly the probable cause:
The bolts fastening the mirror housing to the mirror
base were not properly torqued.
CORRECTIVE ACTION:
Replace the outside rearview mirror(s).
lol
Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Awesome! I had the same issue with my driver side mirror. Just bought the car from an Acura dealership yesterday. I find it amusing they didn't take 5-10 minutes to tighten the bolts themselves. Makes me wonder how many people test drove the car and noticed the vibrating mirror. It was bad enough that you could hardly make out what was in the mirror because it was bouncing so much. Lol.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it helps anyone I just tightened mine on my 05 RL yesterday. I used a small L shaped hex tool and a pair of pliers. Insert the small portion of the L shaped hex tool into the slot near the door. With the pliers grab the long portion of the L shaped hex tool and pull down and toward you gently. The clip will release with no problem. The T25 screws were already really tight when I started but the mirrors were loose. I removed each screw and placed a small lock washer and small washer, blue lock tight, and reattached. They are good as new now.
The following users liked this post:
Alvin (08-18-2021)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
I found this thread and now my mirrors are rock solid. I used a very small allen wrench to get the cover off. I then removed the screws one at a time and reinstalled them with red loctite. I know red is stronger than the blue that was on there. Hopefully they stay tight for good now.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Btw, this thread has E-006 in the title. Does that signify anything? Is there a place here for DIY fixes that I can't seem to find?
Old 08-10-2014, 12:53 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
All the DIY links are in the first link in the garage sticky
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (08-11-2014)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for that, I managed to get the cover off ok without breaking it, however the torx screws were so tight that I've managed to round them off both ways. Anybody got a tip to get them out.? Mine are T20 rather than the T25 that others seem to have but I have a '07 Legend (UK)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

Is this thread referring to the entire painted housing itself or just the mirror inside the housing rattling? Because my housing is stable, it's the mirror inside the shakes a bit.

Quick Reply: E-006: Sideview Mirror Rattle / Vibration Fix