DVD-A Why don't album/song/artist display on info. screen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-A Why don't album/song/artist display on info. screen?

I have played several DVD-As and my info. screen has section for artist/song etc. but it never displays, is it suppost to?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 AM
9th Gear

It doesn't display that information automatically. Rather, there is a small, horizontally oriented button just below to the right of the center of the Disk, FM, XM mode selectors that upon each push...changes the information displayed.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Racer

I've wondered why the CD info does not display either. It does on my computer.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

The system in our cars doesn't display that information because that information is not encoded on the disc. However, most computer-based audio software determines the total duration of the CD, the duration and number of tracks, and other "fingerprint" information that is quasi-unique. It then queries a service called CDDB to determine artist, title, tracklist, and other information. Until ubiquitous wireless internet access becomes a reality, this feature will not find its way to cars.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 04-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did find one CD I bought recently -- a 24-bit direct-to-disc recording -- does, in fact, display not only the album title but all the tracks' titles as they come on. None of the others I have inserted show similar info, however. Not sure what it is about this particular CD and don't know how to find out.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of Sony CDs have the Audio Text encoded on them. I have a John Mayer CD that displays song titles as it plays. Do a search and you will find others who have been able to burn the info onto their CD-Rs.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JasonH
The system in our cars doesn't display that information because that information is not encoded on the disc. However, most computer-based audio software determines the total duration of the CD, the duration and number of tracks, and other "fingerprint" information that is quasi-unique. It then queries a service called CDDB to determine artist, title, tracklist, and other information. Until ubiquitous wireless internet access becomes a reality, this feature will not find its way to cars.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason,

I am afraid you are not correct on this one. I have a DVD player that is not connected to the Internet, therefore it does not have access to CDDB databases, but it does show the track names. So, the answer to the problem present must be that our DVD Audio players do not have the capability to show the titles of the tracks. Therefore, Acura needs to make soe changes to the system. BTW, the system does show the titles of MP3 discs; so obviously the system can read some type of info. I personally believe that Acura has overlooked something and they need to update their software.

Mark
Old 04-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Instructor

SOrry to disagree, but there is nothing wrong with the RL's audio system requiring an update. The fact is that some CDs and DVD-As have text "encoded" and some do not. In the case of CDs without encoded text, you can add specific text through various programs (for both PCs and MACs), ripping the original and adding the text yourself, then burning the result to a new CD. The text you've added will display in the listing of (or be read aloud by) the RL's audio system. Otherwise, if the CD or DVD-A has no encoded text, you will get no listings in the RL's system (or sophisticated home audio systems either).

In such cases, computers/systems having Internet access can still get you the track listings, but only when the listing has been filed with online databases by the company that issued the disc. There is no DVD or CD player that can summon the track names on discs not encoded with same.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta go with DCRL here.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is something called CD TEXT that will allow artist and song title to be displayed on the NAV screen, pursuant to the owner's manual. However, not many mmanufacturers have implemented CD TEXT onto their CDs. Sony is one of the few that has. If you do a search for CD TEXT on Google, you will find very little on this format. Apparently it did not catch on.

DCRL is correct in that you can re-rip a CD to a blank CD and some programs will allow you to add the CD Text. Real Player 10 (the free version) does allow this and you can check under advanced settings to see what information is being recorded and can even change it as well. Windows Media Player does not record this information so a ripped CD using WMP will not display the info. I have done a number of CDs using Real Player and it works well. It is nice to see what CDs are loaded in the player. But it is a pain to do it to every disc you want to play.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

I hear what you guys are saying, but it is obvious that the DVD-A discs do have the info encoded. When I play a DVD-A disc on my home DVD player, it shows the titles, but when I play the same DVD-A disc in my car, it does not. I have tried this with about a dozen of my DVD-A discs.

So, it is obvious that the info is on the DVD-A discs; it's just that our RL players cannot read it.

Mark